Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-06-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough
Default official dallas stars end of season thread.

I know the season still has a week left in it, but for all intents and purposes we could have made this one a month ago. So here I go I am no hockey genius, just a die hard fan so this is my dumbed down rating of all the individual players. Feel free to discuss and most certianly disagree.

Overall team grade: Incomplete, how can you rate this thing with all the injuries which occoured through out the season.

now on to the players. Lets start with goalies

Marty Turco: B- At times he was sensational however he was over used and seemed to really struggle to start and finnish games. Hope he can bounce back because we have very little behind him.

Tobias Stephan: D This guy is not ready and IMO will never be solid enough to be the back up goal tender on a contender.

Matt Climie: C I would go with Climie over Stephan next year. He shows flashes of what you need.

Now the Defensemen
Trevor Daley: B He is the most explosive offensive D man we have which speaks to the lack of blue line scoring on this team. Solid defender and always willing to stick up for turco.

Mark Fistric: B- After a trip to the minors he came back with a new physical nature I had never seen out of him. A young talented blue liner who needs to work really hard this off season. Took a lot of dumb over agressive penaltys however and that was the last thing this team needed.

Nic Grossman: B+ He far surpassed my expectations for this season. A physical hulking D man who reminds me of a much younger Matty Norstrom. Not an offensive threat but then again Who on this team is. Future looks bright.

Doug Janik: c- Who really cares?

Matt Niskanen: B- I often don't really know what to think about Nisky. Didn't really develop offensively the way I expected him to. Next season is huge for him to either take the next step or show that he is what he is.

Stephane Robidas: A This guy plays as hard as he can every night. Consistant, Smart, Undervalued.

Sergei Zubov: IC I have my doubts wether we will ever see him play again.

Andrew Hutichinson: D Spare who was healthy scratch most nights

Dan Jancevski: C Played a few late games. Probably has to show something this offseason or his time here is done.

Garrett Stafford: B He has offensive skills and I would love to see him get a shot next season

Darryl Sydor: D This guy is used up and seemed to be on the ice for every goal. He gives you nothing on offense and needs to retire. Flame away because I know he is a old school guy and fan favorite. Used to be one of mine. Not so much anymore.

Finally on to the wingers

Sean Avery: F Epic Failure, the kind of which usually costs someone their job. Hully and Les use their mulligan on this one

Krys Barch: B He does exactly as he is asked to. I know he didn't play much late but that was more of a lets evaluate some of the others move. Classy fighter and kind of guy you would want policing for you

Fabian Brunnstrom: B- Good offense however that is where the buck stops. He IMO will take great strides this offseason to improve his overall game. Future 2nd line winger. Think Eriksson of a few years ago

B.j. Crombeen: B Wish we would have held on to this guy. Solid checking line winger who can also supply a little offense.

Loui Eriksson: A+ What a wonderful break out year for him. We will have to break the bank to keep him very soon. No player took a larger step forward than him.

Jere Lehtinen: C It is very sad for me to watch my boyhood heroes fade away. Still a wonderful forchecker but the goals starting to come few and far between and the injuries piling up. At a lower cost he is a great piece to a contending team sort of like Stu Barnes.

Joel Lundqvist: C- Given the opportunity before the season to take stu barnes spot and failed to seize the opportunity. His offense was anemic at best. Still young but needs to up his game.

Mike Modano: C See Jere Lehtinen

Brendan Morrow: IC This was the begining of the end of this season. Hopefully he comes back strong because we need his offense and leadership

James Neal: B+ Been a long time since we had a rookie with an explosive offense game like his. Big time player in the near future and should improve passing and defensively this next season

Steve Ott: A He is the pepper pot. Posted his best offensive numbers to date and as usual demanded the ire of the opposition night in and night out. The kind of player that you love if he is on his team and hate if not.

Toby Petersen: C Broke the ankle and that ended his season however not a huge contributor before that. I would like to see someone push him for a spot this offseason

Mike Riberio: A If we didn't have him imagine how bad this could have been. Sloppy at times defensively and handling the puck but for every turnover he makes a wow play. Not afraid of physical contact. A Strong part of this team.

Brad Richards: B If it weren't for bad luck this year he would have none at all. We are all still waiting for him to be Conn Smythe winning Brad Richards and hopefully this next year we will get it.

Chris Conner: C This guy spares me to death. He is the JJ Barea of hockey with no offense.

Brian Sutherby: B Played well this season and I believe will be a solid 3rd line center or wing depending on where you need him. I like this guy and the size and attitude he brings to the table.

Steve Begin: C Not much to write here. We have to many of this type of player at a younger age. Probably finds a new home.

Mark Parrish: C- After the hat trick I thought alright some offensive pop, Well that turned into a fizzle and he found his way to the healthy scratch side of things quite a bit. Would not miss him should he leave town this offseason.

Ray Sawada: IC only played a few games but looks promising

Landon Wilson: C Coaches should take a look at him in training camp next year. Big body that if he could learn how to make a living down low could contribute. Injuries robbed him of signifigant time this season

Tom Wandell: B Seemed to have good chemistry when he was brought up and can skate. I vote to see him in the line up more next year.

Well thats it tell me what you think.