Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #881
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
The whole "city of Dallas vs. city of LA" debate is getting old, and probably doesn't hold as much weight with professional athletes as everyone thinks... Here are the real issues:

Sterling/Buss vs. Cuban
D'Antoni/Del Negro vs. Carlisle
Kobe/Griffin vs. Dirk
$30 million now vs. $30 million later
Don't forget ________ vs. Dallas Cowboys!

wait, crap...

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 05-10-2013 at 05:04 PM.
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #882
pepe

pepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to all

If what is preventing DHoward and CP3 signing with the Mavs is the guarantee 5th year, can these guys with the money saved in state taxes find an insurance underwriter to write them a nice policy to guarantee the 5th year income in case they get hurt. it make more sense to sign consecutive 4 years contract that give themselves an opportunity to decline in the 5th year and leave a lot of dough on the table in the next contract....just thinking outside the box.
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #883
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe View Post
If what is preventing DHoward and CP3 signing with the Mavs is the guarantee 5th year, can these guys with the money saved in state taxes find an insurance underwriter to write them a nice policy to guarantee the 5th year income in case they get hurt. it make more sense to sign consecutive 4 years contract that give themselves an opportunity to decline in the 5th year and leave a lot of dough on the table in the next contract....just thinking outside the box.
Good question... I don't know about the underwriter, but it gives me an excuse to re-post this here:

Quote:
L.A./Dallas dollars difference not nearly as much as it appears

link

The Mavericks will have to overcome a money mountain to convince Chris Paul or Dwight Howard to come to Dallas.

The collective bargaining agreement gives their current teams a tremendous financial edge this summer, allowing them to offer five-year deals with annual raises that are 7.5 percent of the first year’s salary, as opposed to the four-year deals with 4.5 percent raises the Mavs and others can offer.

In Howard’s case, it’s a difference of $30.4 million. In Paul’s case, the difference is $28.2 million.

Dig a little deeper in the numbers, however, and the Mavs (and Houston Rockets, for that matter) can make a case that the offers would be a lot closer than they appear.

California millionaires pay a 12.3 percent state income tax after last year's tax hike. The great state of Texas doesn’t levy a state income tax on its citizens.

But that 12.3 percent is deceiving, because NBA players pay state income taxes for each road game. So cut it in half. And there is all kinds of complicated legal speak in the laws, so we'll stick with estimates.

That means Howard would pay about $7.5 million more in taxes if he spends the next five seasons playing for the Lakers instead of the Mavs (or Rockets). Paul would pay about $6.5 million more in taxes if he sticks with the Clippers instead of joining one of the Texas teams.

Essentially, the lack of a state income tax in Texas more than makes up for the three-percent-higher annual raises the Lakers and Clippers can offer their superstars.

However, it doesn’t address the extra year in the contract. It’d take a major leap of faith for Paul or Howard to feel like that isn’t a huge difference.

In other words, they’d have to be confident that they’d get another max deal after this one expires, when Paul will be 32 and Howard 31. That could be especially hard for Howard, considering that he had back surgery last year, but let’s assume for the sake of discussion that Mark Cuban convinces them the Mavs’ max commitment will extend after this contract.

The first-year value of their next deal in Dallas would be $22.24 million for Paul and $24.44 million for Howard.

Five-year value in Dallas for Paul: $102 million. In L.A.: $107.3 million.

Five-year value in Dallas for Howard: $112 million. In L.A.: $118 million.

Subtract the extra tax they’d pay in California and they’d actually make a few bucks more playing for the Mavs (or Rockets) than if they stayed in L.A.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-10-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #884
pepe

pepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to all

That is why I don't really understand the "they will be leaving money on the table" in the form of an extra guarantee year. The only way that it will happen is if they get hurt or drastically decline in production and the later is very difficult to happen for elite players unless an injury happen.

If realistically both of these players are almost guarantee another fat contract after this one....it makes sense to sign the 2nd contract the 4th year and not give themselves another extra year where production more than likely will decline.
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:52 AM   #885
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

I'm talking shooting guard position.

Corey Brewer should comeback, if Mayo is trying to go the minny route. I would take Brewer back with Dirk for sure. Then maybe re-sign Anthony Morrow. This Morrow kid has the followthrough to be an nice shooter off the bench.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #886
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

brewer???no thanks...he is only a good role player.we have carter in this position.

i saw Jack against the Spurs....mmmmhhhhh...i hope he will not be our starting PG.good sixth man for 4/20M.
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #887
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffViggiano View Post
i saw Jack against the Spurs....mmmmhhhhh...i hope he will not be our starting PG.good sixth man for 4/20M.
6 games vs. Nugs: 19 PPG (53% FG), 7 APG, 5 RPG, 38 MPG
3 games vs. Spurs: 11 PPG (41% FG), 2 APG, 3 RPG, 33 MPG

San Antonio is definitely an opponent that our starting PG can't shrivel up against in the playoffs...

Last edited by Underdog; 05-11-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #888
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffViggiano View Post
Jack was especially bad last night. His average level of play is quite a bit higher than that.

Although I'd certainly agree that I don't want him, ideally, as our starting point. But don't worry about that: CP3 is comin'.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #889
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Down by 4 with :25 to go, Derek fisher launches a 3 and bricks while KD is standing waiting for the ball. Game over. I love it. F you fisher.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #890
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Down by 4 with :25 to go, Derek fisher launches a 3 and bricks while KD is standing waiting for the ball. Game over. I love you Derek Fisher.
Fixed.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 05-11-2013 at 06:52 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:58 AM   #891
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
6 games vs. Nugs: 19 PPG (53% FG), 7 APG, 5 RPG, 38 MPG
3 games vs. Spurs: 11 PPG (41% FG), 2 APG, 3 RPG, 33 MPG

San Antonio is definitely an opponent that our starting PG can't shrivel up against in the playoffs...
I hope we can all take the perspective that he's not as good as he looked against Denver and not as bad as he has looked against the Spurs.

Jarrett is a valuable and steady borderline starting point guard without any glaring weakness. These games show you how he is a little limited if you are expecting him to be a 8mill+/year player. His best role is exactly what he's doing with Klay and Steph.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:14 AM   #892
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

from Bill Simmons article: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...e-value-part-3

note on Chris Paul:
8. Chris Paul
Three reasons he's not higher …

A. He's about to get paid $80 million to 100 million for five years by somebody, whether it's the Clippers, Mavericks, Rockets or Lakers.

B. He's missing the lateral meniscus in his right knee, which is a fancy way of saying, "His right knee no longer has the cushion that knees usually need to do all the things that knees do." Read this 2011 ClipsNation piece for all the dirty details; it includes fancy diagrams and everything. In year four of his next contract, he'll be 32 years old, with 12 NBA seasons on his odometer … and odds are, he'll be battling problems with that knee and playing in some degree of pain. Has to be mentioned.

C. Look, I'm one of the preachers at the Church of Chris Paul. He's the best point guard I've ever watched on a regular basis. I can't blame him for being saddled with an overmatched coach and two years of pieces that never totally fit. He did everything he could. But his personality isn't always … um … favorable? He's demanding and occasionally condescending. He has no problem undressing a teammate verbally in front of 18,000 people. He's always gesturing and telling teammates where to go and what to do, almost like an abrasive wedding planner. He's always playing angry. There were times during these past two postseasons, especially when things went wrong, that CP's body language basically said, "These guys suck — I'm gonna have to do this myself."

There's a subtle balance between "I have to trust my teammates and build up their confidence" and "We're gonna lose unless I take over" — something that Isiah Thomas mastered completely during Detroit's five-year run from 1987 to 1991 — that Chris Paul never totally found in New Orleans or Los Angeles. He might be this generation's Oscar Robertson — someone so demanding/intimidating/relentless that teammates practically cower around him. Well, Oscar never made the Finals until much later in his career, when he crossed paths with Kareem in Milwaukee. Should we read anything into the fact that, in eight years, Chris Paul has never played in a conference finals? Or that he's 16-24 in the playoffs? It's a fair question, right? For the life of me, I can't understand why Paul and Blake Griffin don't get along, or why two straight Clipper postseasons COMPLETELY self-combusted. Even factoring in the Vinny Del Negro Effect, it's still a little strange — you shouldn't keep self-combusting when you have one of the league's best players.

And again, we're in the top 10 and picking nits. Chris Paul is fantastic. I voted for him fourth for MVP this season. In Dallas, with Rick Carlisle and Dirk and Cuban and a bunch of carefully selected role players flanking him? I'm sure he'd be even more fantastic. But in Los Angeles, with another inevitably shaky coach, the Lob City mind-set and a totally dysfunctional organization? I'm not quite as sure. Throw in the missing meniscus and the Clippers' tortured history and he's eighth. You know, unless he jumps to the Lakers (see footnote).
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #893
sinsin

sinsin will become famous soon enoughsinsin will become famous soon enough

"In Dallas, with Rick Carlisle and Dirk and Cuban and a bunch of carefully selected role players flanking him? I'm sure he'd be even more fantastic. But in Los Angeles, with another inevitably shaky coach, the Lob City mind-set and a totally dysfunctional organization? I'm not quite as sure."

I hope Paul will eventually think the same way : )
sinsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #894
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Only problem is, if we keep Dirk and all of our cheap guys (and Marion), after we max out CP3 we barely have the cap space for those "carefully chosen role players," nor do we have much of a history of getting those types of players to come here at a discount.

If we trade Marion, different story. But I think we'd only go that route if we were going for broke and going for Dwight, too.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #895
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Only problem is, if we keep Dirk and all of our cheap guys (and Marion), after we max out CP3 we barely have the cap space for those "carefully chosen role players," nor do we have much of a history of getting those types of players to come here at a discount.

If we trade Marion, different story. But I think we'd only go that route if we were going for broke and going for Dwight, too.
I expect that if we had kept the championship team we would have had lots of candidates to come here at discounts. Vince carter is actually an example in some respects.

But with dirk/cp3 I think you would get a lot of candidates. Heck just cp3 would probably help a bunch.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #896
OneLove22

OneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to all

What do people think about Seth Curry in the draft?
Old 05-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #897
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...For-Josh-Smith

Marion and the lottery pick and same day sign Dwight and Morrow.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #898
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

What does that link have to do with Marion?
MavsFTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #899
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFTR View Post
What does that link have to do with Marion?
Marion would presumably be a salary match for Josh Smith in a S&T deal.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #900
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

rant on -
it kills me hearing all the sports media (AND FANS) talking about how poor Kevin Durant has to be the lone superstar carrying his team in these playoffs - AND NOT MENTION HOW DIRK DID IT FOR A DECADE OR MORE!!!!!!
- rant off
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #901
Dirk's Knee

Dirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

If (and its a huge if) we are able to land CP3, we'd have him, Carter, Marion, Dirk, Sarge, and Cunningham on contract. Mavs have ~$38 mil in salary next year assuming Marion doesn't opt out, a max Paul contract would likely count ~$20 mil against the cap. leaving us at ~$58 mil. This year's cap was $58 and the luxury cap was $70.

I have no idea how much Wright will go for, but he'll probably get a very big raise. Let's put him at ~$7 mil. If we wanted to retain OJ Mayo (or get a player who puts up similar numbers), it will cost around that as well cause us to exceed the tax cap. I believe we have bird rights on Wright so we could resign him and probably still have a mid level exception available if we pass on Mayo. Using MLE for a shooting guard next season could get you someone like Kyle Korver, Anthony Morrow, Tony Allen, Marco Belinelli, or Wesley Johnson. All that said, I'm all for exceed the tax cap if we can sign up some role players on 1 year deals in order to have some space in 2014, though we'll be limited in the available exceptions which forces the salary down for those role players. 2013 could be looking at something like this:

CP3, Draft Pick, Cunningham
MLE, Carter
Marion, Crowder
Dirk, Wright
Sarge, Vet, Vet

If we can package, Marion and Cunningham we'd probably be in even better shape.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #902
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk's Knee View Post
I have no idea how much Wright will go for, but he'll probably get a very big raise. Let's put him at ~$7 mil. If we wanted to retain OJ Mayo (or get a player who puts up similar numbers), it will cost around that as well cause us to exceed the tax cap. I believe we have bird rights on Wright so we could resign him and probably still have a mid level exception available if we pass on Mayo. Using MLE for a shooting guard next season could get you someone like Kyle Korver, Anthony Morrow, Tony Allen, Marco Belinelli, or Wesley Johnson. All that said, I'm all for exceed the tax cap if we can sign up some role players on 1 year deals in order to have some space in 2014, though we'll be limited in the available exceptions which forces the salary down for those role players. 2013 could be looking at something like this:

CP3, Draft Pick, Cunningham
MLE, Carter
Marion, Crowder
Dirk, Wright
Sarge, Vet, Vet

If we can package, Marion and Cunningham we'd probably be in even better shape.
If we kept our guaranteed guys and added CP3 and Wright, we'd likely be above the apron after signing our rookies. Then, we'd have only the mini-MLE. I'm guessing Morrow and Wes will be available for that price (in fact, a price much lower than that) but Tony Allen and Kyle Korver are going to be getting salaries close to or above the $5.35M MLE.

That said, I would rather sign Tony Allen at the full MLE than bringing back Wright.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #903
Dirk's Knee

Dirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
If we kept our guaranteed guys and added CP3 and Wright, we'd likely be above the apron after signing our rookies. Then, we'd have only the mini-MLE. I'm guessing Morrow and Wes will be available for that price (in fact, a price much lower than that) but Tony Allen and Kyle Korver are going to be getting salaries close to or above the $5.35M MLE.

That said, I would rather sign Tony Allen at the full MLE than bringing back Wright.
You think Wright is going for more than $7 mil? And we'll likely only be adding 1 rookie this year. Our second round is a pretty late pick. My guess is we give that pick away. Unless we luck out and get higher than our projected position, the rookie scale will be around $1.6 for the 13th pick. We of course will likely pay the 120% max which will be ~$2 mil. Even if Wright goes for ~$10, that would be ~$12 mill and the MLE would still put use under the apron. With CP and Dirk, you might be able to convince a couple vets to sign cheap and split that MLE between them. Of course, this is under the rather far fetched assumption that CP will be eating up ~$20 mil in salary.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #904
TheGermanator

TheGermanator will become famous soon enoughTheGermanator will become famous soon enough

I made this word document a while ago, but the salaries are going based off of this year's salaries, except for the rooks, for who I just made up salaries xD:

Dallas Mavericks 2013:
Dirk Nowitzki PF- $22,721,381
Shawn Marion SF- $9,066,796
Vince Carter SG- $3,180,000
Jared Cunningham SG- $1,208,400
Jae Crowder SF- $788,872
Benard James PF/C- $788,872
Gorugi DiengC- $1,000,000
Jose Calderon PG- $10,561,982
Allen Crabbe- $500,000
Nikola Peckovic C- $6,046,500
O.J. Mayo SG- $4,200,900
Nate Robinson PG- $1,146,337

Total Salary:
$61,783,340
Last Year’s Payroll:
$62,164,714
Cap Room:
$1,954,674
Roster:
12/12
PG: 2 SG: 4 SF:2 PF:2 C:2

Since this was made a while ago some salaries and players would certainly not be affordable(ex. Nate Robinson), but, I think if we were able to get a roster that resembled this we could be a contender next year. We would have Jose Calderon, he fits the role of a smart PG with good court vision, something the Mavs need. Pekovic, a athletic, hard-working big man, opposite of Chris Kamen. We get those 2 in free agency and a athletic defensive big man that could come off the bench in the draft(someone like Dieng) and we would be solid.
TheGermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #905
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGermanator View Post
I made this word document a while ago, but the salaries are going based off of this year's salaries, except for the rooks, for who I just made up salaries xD:

Dallas Mavericks 2013:
Jae Crowder SF- $788,872
Allen Crabbe- $500,000
O.J. Mayo SG- $4,200,900

Total Salary:
$61,783,340
Last Year’s Payroll:
$62,164,714
Cap Room:
$1,954,674
Roster:
12/12

Since this was made a while ago some salaries and players would certainly not be affordable(ex. Nate Robinson), but, I think if we were able to get a roster that resembled this we could be a contender next year. We would have Jose Calderon, he fits the role of a smart PG with good court vision, something the Mavs need. Pekovic, a athletic, hard-working big man, opposite of Chris Kamen. We get those 2 in free agency and a athletic defensive big man that could come off the bench in the draft(someone like Dieng) and we would be solid.

I love the optimism, but Pek, OJ, and Nate are all going to get a lot more than that.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:28 AM   #906
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Dallas Mavericks 2013:
Jae Crowder SF- $788,872
Allen Crabbe- $500,000
O.J. Mayo SG- $4,200,900

Total Salary:
$61,783,340
Last Year’s Payroll:
$62,164,714
Cap Room:
$1,954,674
Roster:
12/12

what???Pekovic athletic???

anyway i don't think that that team will be a contender...maybe a second round PO.maybe.
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #907
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Pekovic will scratch for sure at the 10m mark.

Mayo could be cheaper after his terrible last months. 5-7m
Old 05-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #908
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Pekovic will scratch for sure at the 10m mark.

Mayo could be cheaper after his terrible last months. 5-7m
Always take the over when projecting and then be pleasantly surprised if you're wrong.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #909
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

One week until the lottery. Odds aren't good 1/45 chance of a top 3. Still, it may be interesting. Unlikely as it is, if we break into the top 3, the offseason becomes a very different beast.

44 days until the draft.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #910
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

44 days? Jesus what an excruciating time to wait.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #911
Dirk's Knee

Quote:

Dallas Mavericks 2013:
Jae Crowder SF- $788,872
Allen Crabbe- $500,000
O.J. Mayo SG- $4,200,900

Total Salary:
$61,783,340
Last Year’s Payroll:
$62,164,714
Cap Room:
$1,954,674
Roster:
12/12

Some additional thoughts:

PF/C: Greg Smith - If we can snag him from Houston, he might be a solid backup at PF/C on the cheap for the next couple years.

SG: Kevn Martin might be a very good pick up. No idea exactly what he'll go for. Don't want to pay big bucks for guys 30-ish though who aren't going to add some star power.

Backup PG: Aaron Brooks, if Houston opts not to keep him I think he'd be a solid option. Nate Robinson would be fantastic as well though he's probably looking for more than we'd pay him. Though there's really no minutes for him with Chicago next year. If Jared Cunningham can't add some value this year, he needs to be shipped off with a second round pick for anything of value.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #912
SeanL

SeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these parts

People still have faith this organization will pick a legit player?

I could not care less about the draft for that very reason. If cubes is smart he'll trade that pick to a team that actually values draft picks.
SeanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #913
Dirk's Knee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL View Post

I could not care less about the draft for that very reason. If cubes is smart he'll trade that pick to a team that actually values draft picks.
2 of 3 picks last year were way better than they've done in years. And we have the highest pick we've had in years. So here's to hope...
Old 05-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #914
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL View Post

Last year was the first time we've had a pick higher than #24 going into the draft since 2000... It's hard to get an impact player in that range, but that's the "downside" of winning 50+ games and making the playoffs every season for over a decade straight.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #915
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk's Knee View Post
SG: Kevn Martin might be a very good pick up.

regular season first three quarter king...

Quote:
Backup PG: Aaron Brooks, if Houston opts not to keep him I think he'd be a solid option
Brooks = DC
Old 05-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #916
Dirk's Knee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post

regular season first three quarter king...

Brooks = DC
Love that MJ gif.

Brooks being equal to DC off the bench for 1/2 or less the salary is alright with me, especially if the saved salary can go toward improving the starting lineup.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #917
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Last year was the first time we've had a pick higher than #24 going into the draft since 2000... It's hard to get an impact player in that range, but that's the "downside" of winning 50+ games and making the playoffs every season for over a decade straight.
2000 is a nice cut-off because it marks the beginning of this current squad with Cuban. Since then we've had extremely poor draft position. In 11 years we only had 5 first rounders at an average draft position of 25th overall. Considering that at that position, only 5% players ever make it to an allstar game and 10% are even starters in the league, I feel pretty good about getting guys like Josh Howard (who made an allstar game before falling apart) and Crowder who has already started a few games.

Odds of success at the 25th overall
5% of getting a star
5% chance of getting a starter
25% of getting a 6-10 bench player
50% of getting an 11-15 bench warmer
15% chance of getting a bust/DNP

Our actual draft - it's to early to tell on Cunningham, so I did not include him
0% stars
33% starters (Howard, Crowder)
33% solid backups (Roddy, James)
0% low bench
17% bust/DNP (Ager)

You can argue that Howard was a star as he made it to an allstar game and put up fine numbers for a couple of years. We've beaten the odds with starters and backups with out low first-rounders. We've also beaten the odds in the second round and with undrafted players, albeit with a small sample size as well.

Zeller (17th) - Crowder, James, Cunningham
Hamilton (26th) - nothing
Josh Howard (29th)
Mullens (24th) - Roddy
Ager (28th)

Go back two more years and you see a better picture
2000 - 12th pick - Etan Thomas - 8--year journeyman
1998 - 6th pick - Traylor for Dirk - Hall of Famer, 11 time allstar, regular season MVP, Finals MVP, 4 time NBA first team, Sports Illustrated all-decade team

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-15-2013 at 01:36 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #918
Underdog

Quote:
On the pitch to free agents:

Dirk Nowitzki:
I'll definitely be a little involved. But I'll be in the draft 'war room' for the first time ... order some pizza and talk some basketball. I got one year left on this deal and then I'm coming off the books. So if that helps for us to be better. I'm going to take a paycut. That's part of the pitch. Cuban and Donnie have got to be part of the pitch. I think Dallas and the fans here, the sellout streak, the city to live in is gorgeous and has gotta be in the top five in the league. Hopefully, some of those guys will decide to come, and if not, we've gotta have a plan B. If none of those top free agents come, we gotta make some moves with sign and trades or something. We want to get back to the playoffs and be a factor. We owe it to these fans who come out every single night to support us.
link

Old 05-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #919
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk knows what's up.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #920
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Since he'll be in the draft war room. Wonder if he's going to push for a power forward to mentor. Kelly Olynyk or Ryan Kelly.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cad von ghostymooglebane, moogleghostfacechamp, ummmm