Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 12-17-2016, 11:13 AM   #41
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebo View Post
WOW. Did not even recognize him with this haircut. I think the positive is that he is really bringing his value down with these comments. Particularly being too big player to be playing 8 minutes. I am sure many GMs are not going to answer any calls from 76ers after hearing this.

I mean, this kind of attitude is actually good if the player can stay healthy and produce. I do not have problems with this kind of comments unless the player actually can be good enough to stand by those words. Any team that is going to take him, is taking a chance. There can not be many teams left that really want him, only those that have nothing to lose and can take a chance with him.
That attitude is not what we need right now for a rebuild. It's contagious. I wouldn't take him for free at this point.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2016, 11:45 AM   #42
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing to lose is what the Mavs thought with Rondo. We still lost that deal
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:00 PM   #43
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Exactly, although we did give up more than what Nerlens would require at this point. But I just keep going back chemistry. This guy is saying some flat out stupid stuff.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:05 PM   #44
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Mavs lost with Rondo exactly what? As far as I remember Mavs were considering signing Rondo that coming summer, before the trade happened. Testing Rondo out for half a season versus being stuck with him for at least 2 seasons... I know which one I would take.

When it comes to price of Noel, things seem to be on the fence of here. This board considers him worth less than many other boards. No idea what his price ends up being. But what exactly Mavs have to lose if they are only throwing in Simba + 2nd or heavily protected 1st round pick? Only way Mavs could lose that deal would be that they start winning games.

Besides, similar situation that Mavs had with Rondo. I am quite sure Mavs will give an offer to Noel this summer. Unless Boogie drags things out and Noel signs before him. It may well be that Mavs give pass when it comes to Boogie and go straight after youth of Noel. Which one you prefer, half a season of testing Noel or long term deal?
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:48 PM   #45
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Who are the players rumored to be part of the trade? I heard it on the radio, but I am not familiar with all of the pieces involved. I caught that J.J. Barea, Jonathan Gibson, Justin Anderson, and Andrew Bogut are involved as far as players leaving the Mavericks are concerned. The teams involved are the Mavericks, 76ers, and Celtics. The key piece of the trade for the Mavericks is Nerlens Noel.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:30 PM   #46
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebo View Post
Mavs lost with Rondo exactly what? As far as I remember Mavs were considering signing Rondo that coming summer, before the trade happened. Testing Rondo out for half a season versus being stuck with him for at least 2 seasons... I know which one I would take.

When it comes to price of Noel, things seem to be on the fence of here. This board considers him worth less than many other boards. No idea what his price ends up being. But what exactly Mavs have to lose if they are only throwing in Simba + 2nd or heavily protected 1st round pick? Only way Mavs could lose that deal would be that they start winning games.

Besides, similar situation that Mavs had with Rondo. I am quite sure Mavs will give an offer to Noel this summer. Unless Boogie drags things out and Noel signs before him. It may well be that Mavs give pass when it comes to Boogie and go straight after youth of Noel. Which one you prefer, half a season of testing Noel or long term deal?
The difference between Rondo and Noel is that the Mavs were one solid PG away from competing for a ring when they traded for Rondo... You don't mind giving up some assets for a guy who can help you during the playoffs, especially since a deep run would probably convince him to re-sign when his contract is up. It didn't work out, but the move made sense within the context of where the team was at the time.

But the Mavs are playing for absolutely nothing right now, so Noel isn't likely to stick around after this season. You don't give up assets for a short-term rental who is probably going to bolt for greener pastures once his contract is up. If we really want Noel, the sensible thing would be to wait until this summer and try to sign him outright since there's nothing for a lotto-bound team to gain by trading for him now.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 12-17-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:09 PM   #47
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Nerlens will be restricted this summer. He doesn't bolt unless the Macs decide not to keep him. And I would consider trading for him to be much less risky than Rondo, considering how much less we'd need to trade to get him and the low stakes this season... Even if he came here and was an absolute beast, we're several good moves away from being serious contenders.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:43 PM   #48
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

After Nerlens' recent stretch backing up and playing next to Embiid, I'm more convinced than ever that getting his RFA rights is important. Simba and a top-10 protected future first (throw in Powell if they like him), let's get this deal done.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:01 PM   #49
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
After Nerlens' recent stretch backing up and playing next to Embiid, I'm more convinced than ever that getting his RFA rights is important. Simba and a top-10 protected future first (throw in Powell if they like him), let's get this deal done.
I'm still not sold. Especially for 3 of our assets, one being a top 10 protected pick. He's a good defender but I'm still not sure how good of a rebounder he is. And if his only offensive game is as a pnr guy he needs to be a great rebounder to warrant all that. Especially since we will have to fork over serious money in the off season. And that's not even mentioning his injury history.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:24 PM   #50
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

For cheap he's worth a look, but I'm not convinced that he has a future in the league and not convinced he'll ever be an elite rebounder like we need. When he feels like it, he can defend and be really disruptive, but a sub-par rebounder that plays D isn't exactly an asset you trade first rounders (and potentially lottery first rounders) for. He's also fundamentally weak and makes up for it with athleticism, but with the injury history, I wouldn't bet on him staying an elite athlete for long.

2015-2016 (last time he played enough minutes to qualify) - there were 32 centers who rebounded at a better rate.

then again, Bogut may be gone, we'll be short on quality centers, and there aren't many centers in this year's FA class.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:51 PM   #51
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
For cheap he's worth a look, but I'm not convinced that he has a future in the league and not convinced he'll ever be an elite rebounder like we need. When he feels like it, he can defend and be really disruptive, but a sub-par rebounder that plays D isn't exactly an asset you trade first rounders (and potentially lottery first rounders) for. He's also fundamentally weak and makes up for it with athleticism, but with the injury history, I wouldn't bet on him staying an elite athlete for long.

2015-2016 (last time he played enough minutes to qualify) - there were 32 centers who rebounded at a better rate.

then again, Bogut may be gone, we'll be short on quality centers, and there aren't many centers in this year's FA class.
You make fair points, but in 2015-16 he played out of position at PF while Okafor played all of his minutes at center. I think he can be a good enough rebounder (something like 11 if he played 33-37 MPG right now, obviously with tons of room for growth) and would be a great fit next to Barnes, especially with great pick and roll guys like Barea and Harris on the roster.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:00 PM   #52
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Centers on the roster
Powell (C/PF)

Centers available in free agency
Bogut
Hibbert
Len
Noel
Pachulia
Olynyk
Plumlee
McGee
Whithey
Mejri

Man, we're thin at center without much quality in FA.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #53
spreedom
Diamond Member

Looking at that list..... flaws aside, Noel is head-and-shoulders above the rest. I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't get a near-max contract offer this summer with that market.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:44 PM   #54
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Sixers keeping Noel and shipping out Okafor...im betting on this.

Noel is Embiids closest friend on the roster.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:34 PM   #55
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Nerlens fired his agent and hired Dan Fegan. That's a good sign for our prospects, if anything. As is what I perceive to be a much less robust market for him on the trade block. I felt like he was worth a lightly-protected pick leading into this season (and to put it lightly, I was in the minority, particularly around these parts) but right now, with his injury/attitude concerns, I think you could probably get him for a lottery-protected pick plus a useful player. If we called the Sixers today and offered Simba plus a lottery-protected pick that would likely convert into two 2nd-rounders, I think there's a decent chance Philly accepts. On top of that, I think you can sign him this summer at well below the max. Concerns aside, I still think he's exactly the kind of player the Mavs should be willing to gamble on. The upside is immense, and if you sign him for less than $16-18M a year he's unlikely to be difficult to trade if things don't work out.
Nice call Spreedom!
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:52 PM   #56
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Donnie certainly listened to Spree's suggestion. This is his day for sure.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:29 PM   #57
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
Nice call Spreedom!
Spreedom, who do you like for the Super Bowl next year? I need to place a call to Vegas.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:13 AM   #58
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta admit that Donnie blew up all my arguments in this thread -- I did NOT think we'd get Noel without guaranteeing our first round pick... Nor did I think Philly would take Bogut off our hands.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:18 AM   #59
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Gotta admit that Donnie blew up all my arguments in this thread -- I did NOT think we'd get Noel without guaranteeing our first round pick... Nor did I think Philly would take Bogut off our hands.

Same.

Props to Spree though.
Quote:
If we called the Sixers today and offered Simba plus a lottery-protected pick that would likely convert into two 2nd-rounders, I think there's a decent chance Philly accepts.
Hit it on the nose.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:32 AM   #60
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Props to Spree though.
Hit it on the nose.
Spree is a hipster time traveller....

Old 02-24-2017, 04:10 AM   #61
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

I think it is more amazing how this board was estimating Noel's true value more accurately than other boards/people. It is impossible to imagine what other teams were offering when Noel was first on trading block.

I also argue that Noel's trade can end up bigger steal than Cousins. It all depends how Noel is able to hold up in terms of health. Do remember another big with a questionable health... great rebounder and defender... traded to Dallas on July 13th, 2010. Will see, how it turns out, but at least Mavs can test it out how Noel fits in their system. I am skeptical of how the lineups will look. Noel is a big who can run, Dirk is not. Would not surprise me to see Rick play lesser minutes with Noel and Dirk at the same time, just to have more athleticism and speed against most of the teams.

In terms of Boogie trade, Pelicans received a player who does not have a good history of keeping things calm. He will most likely miss games through technical fouls this season. It is also highly likely that he walks after next season. But if Pelicans can make them two somehow work... They may be setting new era during this catch and shoot 3 NBA days by bringing back bigs.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote