Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 11-11-2016, 01:56 PM   #1
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wille Cauley Stein: Kings open to trade

Okay, I dont want to part with the first, but this is a scenario where I part with a 1st rounder. Maybe a 1st round/powell. Or 1st round/anderson.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:55 PM   #2
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

At this point I would probably trade Simba straight up for WCS, but not Simba plus a pick. I'm not sure WCS is a long-term solution at center for the Mavs, but I would be willing to roll the dice on that possibility for a reasonable cost.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:32 PM   #3
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Why give up our young guys when the Kings aloms have to trade him.

The way I see it, the Kings wanted Matthews really bad last year.

Matthews
Powell (sweeter)

for

WCS
Rudy Gay

Kings get the SG they wanted and a young PF/C with good upside and a good contract.

Kings get rid of WCS who is unhappy and Gay who will leave anyway.

Mavs improve their C talent with young WCS and get a very good player in Gay who can leave next year if things dont work out.

Mavs get rid of Matthews contract.

JJ/ Williams
Anderson/ Curry
Gay/ Andrson
Barnes/ Dirk
WCS/ Bogut

Last edited by AO41; 11-11-2016 at 05:34 PM.
AO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:59 PM   #4
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO41 View Post

Matthews
Powell (sweeter)

for

WCS
Rudy Gay

Kings get the SG they wanted and a young PF/C with good upside and a good contract.

Mavs improve their C talent with young WCS and get a very good player in Gay who can leave next year if things dont work out.

JJ/ Williams
Anderson/ Curry
Gay/ Andrson
Barnes/ Dirk
WCS/ Bogut
Rudy Gay is a huge ball hog and makes no sense with Barnes on the roster. Mavs really don't needs another forward unless they trade Anderson.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:11 PM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Is he...is he still NBA quality?
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:16 PM   #6
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Rudy Gay is a huge ball hog and makes no sense with Barnes on the roster. Mavs really don't needs another forward unless they trade Anderson.
Rudy Gay is def. not a ball hog. He was at one time inefficient, but has improved there as well and is having apretty good year this year.

Matthews is struggling a lot and is not doing much other than some good D at times. Gay is a better player.

If Dirk was the old Dirk then I agree it wouldn't make sense to get Gay....but as we have seen so far Barnes excels at the 4 and thats where he will probably ultimately end up.

Gay would then be the 3 and Anderson can back him and play the 2.

Its not the perfectsituation but again we have nothing to lose other than Matthews contract and we get WCS. If Gay doesn't work out, we move on.

Last edited by AO41; 11-11-2016 at 07:17 PM.
AO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 12:59 AM   #7
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

I like Cauley-Stein. Very Tyson Chandler-esque. No way we deal a 1st for him though. Unless they are extremely certain of him being a top-10 Center for the next decade. This is a good draft coming up and we could get a star if things fall right. Unlikely Cauley Stein is a "star". He's closer to Noel than he is to a Myles Turner type.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 02:03 AM   #8
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO41 View Post

Matthews
Powell (sweeter)

for

WCS
Rudy Gay

JJ/ Williams
Anderson/ Curry
Gay/ Andrson
Barnes/ Dirk
WCS/ Bogut
I don't think the Kings have any urgency to trade WCS for at least two more years. They still have control over his rookie contract between now and then. No incentive to trade him unless it's for a piece (player and/or pick) that helps you get better during that time and beyond. I agree that they have a huge logjam at center but WCS seems like the easiest guy to hang on to through a variety of rebuilding options.

I don't think Was of today interests them that much. Wes of 18 months ago does, sure, because they were desperate and willing to roll the dice on him coming all the way back from the Achilles injury. I'm glad we took that risk too, but through a year-plus it isn't really working out. I don't see him as a positive asset for us right now, and I see the Kings as at least half a step behind us in terms of our trajectory towards title contention.

I'd make the Wes/Powell trade for Gay/WCS in a heartbeat, but despite his obvious talent I don't really want Rudy Gay on this team. Our best and most promising players all play roughly the same position and I don't have any interest in him cutting into their developmental time, not do I see him as a good long-term for here. I don't get why the Kings would do this kind of trade when they probably have at least a dozen teams willing to give up something substantial for WCS the instant he hits the market for many of the reasons I mentioned above.

And Powell as sweetener it being a little kind to him... He seems like he'd be a lousy fit next to Boogie since he has no shooting range, is a to-do rebounder, doesn't block shots and is making a lot of money for a mostly situational player.

If we wanted to get into the mix, I think we have to give them Simba and/or our first-rounder. No reason for the Kings to ask for anything less than that when they have all of the leverage.

I'd love to see WCS next to Barnes for the next few years though, especially on a rookie contract. That would give us a lot of flexibility in shuffling around the rest of the roster.

Oh and even if/though the price is certainly going to be higher (both in trade cost and the eventually price tag he'll command as an RFA this summer) I'd still rather have Nerlens.

Last edited by spreedom; 11-12-2016 at 02:04 AM.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:11 PM   #9
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
I don't think the Kings have any urgency to trade WCS for at least two more years. They still have control over his rookie contract between now and then. No incentive to trade him unless it's for a piece (player and/or pick) that helps you get better during that time and beyond. I agree that they have a huge logjam at center but WCS seems like the easiest guy to hang on to through a variety of rebuilding options.

I don't think Was of today interests them that much. Wes of 18 months ago does, sure, because they were desperate and willing to roll the dice on him coming all the way back from the Achilles injury. I'm glad we took that risk too, but through a year-plus it isn't really working out. I don't see him as a positive asset for us right now, and I see the Kings as at least half a step behind us in terms of our trajectory towards title contention.

I'd make the Wes/Powell trade for Gay/WCS in a heartbeat, but despite his obvious talent I don't really want Rudy Gay on this team. Our best and most promising players all play roughly the same position and I don't have any interest in him cutting into their developmental time, not do I see him as a good long-term for here. I don't get why the Kings would do this kind of trade when they probably have at least a dozen teams willing to give up something substantial for WCS the instant he hits the market for many of the reasons I mentioned above.

And Powell as sweetener it being a little kind to him... He seems like he'd be a lousy fit next to Boogie since he has no shooting range, is a to-do rebounder, doesn't block shots and is making a lot of money for a mostly situational player.

If we wanted to get into the mix, I think we have to give them Simba and/or our first-rounder. No reason for the Kings to ask for anything less than that when they have all of the leverage.

I'd love to see WCS next to Barnes for the next few years though, especially on a rookie contract. That would give us a lot of flexibility in shuffling around the rest of the roster.

Oh and even if/though the price is certainly going to be higher (both in trade cost and the eventually price tag he'll command as an RFA this summer) I'd still rather have Nerlens.
I wonder how little we'd have to give up to get McLemore. He's one of those lotto-busts that could use a new change of scenery. At only 23 he still has an upside imo.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote