Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 12-17-2020, 12:39 PM   #41
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

And you need at least one superstar to build through the draft. Missing out on Zion basically busted that idea as Barrett doesn't really have that kind of potential.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2020, 12:58 PM   #42
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
And you need at least one superstar to build through the draft. Missing out on Zion basically busted that idea as Barrett doesn't really have that kind of potential.
I think the right approach is just to find some really good character guys and keep them long term and try to make them competitive while building a really strong locker room of happy players. Try to build some solid pieces and then hope you can get a superstar to plug into that system-- kinda like the team we had with Finley and some other role players, prior to getting Nash and Dirk.

Maybe Barrett can be their Finley, but I think in their effort to clear space for a hail mary, they gave a bunch of short-term contracts so they could keep trying the dust move. That's really damaging to building a consistent roster with good chemistry and leadership. Even if they do get a star, they're likely to come in unhappy.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 01:46 PM   #43
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I think the right approach is just to find some really good character guys and keep them long term and try to make them competitive while building a really strong locker room of happy players. Try to build some solid pieces and then hope you can get a superstar to plug into that system-- kinda like the team we had with Finley and some other role players, prior to getting Nash and Dirk.

Maybe Barrett can be their Finley, but I think in their effort to clear space for a hail mary, they gave a bunch of short-term contracts so they could keep trying the dust move. That's really damaging to building a consistent roster with good chemistry and leadership. Even if they do get a star, they're likely to come in unhappy.
Yeah but we still drafted Dirk, and that makes all the difference in the world.

Knicks fans won't stand for a bunch of mediocre, long-term roster building. They are just as impatient as Dolan. I mean, they went ape sh** over losing KP, their lone star.

So they had a star they drafted and blew it with him.

It's a culture problem more than anything, and I don't think even drafting a star fixes it, but I guess that's their only path right now.

Old 12-17-2020, 01:51 PM   #44
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Build through the draft? Seems like they've been clearing cap for a hail mary super team strategy.
Clearing cap space and building through the draft are not mutually exclusive.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 01:55 PM   #45
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah but we still drafted Dirk, and that makes all the difference in the world.

Knicks fans won't stand for a bunch of mediocre, long-term roster building. They are just as impatient as Dolan. I mean, they went ape sh** over losing KP, their lone star.
I actually think they're more patient than most fanbases. They've been far more patient than they have any reason to be over the last 20 years. And they were right to go apesh*t over KP. That was a moronic trade for them, and a steal for us.

Quote:
It's a culture problem more than anything, and I don't think even drafting a star fixes it, but I guess that's their only path right now.
Of course it's a culture problem. Teams that are bad for years or in this case decades at a time always have a culture problem. But the second part of the sentence is exactly it. What other strategy is there for them?
Old 12-17-2020, 03:17 PM   #46
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

https://www.theringer.com/2020/12/17...way-to-the-top

Nice article about... the Knicks and what not do do lol.
addressing things not from a culture standpoint but just basic basketball sense.

"The Knicks, as always, are a good example of what not to do. Their new front office, led by former agent Leon Rose, was far more patient in free agency than past regimes. But there are still underlying issues in the way the team is put together that could derail their rebuild. Their best young players don’t complement each other. It’s also unclear how any of them will develop given the veterans around them. New head coach Tom Thibodeau, who has never been known for his patience, has already said the team needs to be “aggressive” in chasing stars. "
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:02 PM   #47
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay View Post
https://www.theringer.com/2020/12/17...way-to-the-top

Nice article about... the Knicks and what not do do lol.
addressing things not from a culture standpoint but just basic basketball sense.

"The Knicks, as always, are a good example of what not to do. Their new front office, led by former agent Leon Rose, was far more patient in free agency than past regimes. But there are still underlying issues in the way the team is put together that could derail their rebuild. Their best young players don’t complement each other. It’s also unclear how any of them will develop given the veterans around them. New head coach Tom Thibodeau, who has never been known for his patience, has already said the team needs to be “aggressive” in chasing stars. "
I'll admit, I don't follow them closely. I probably can only name like 3 or 4 guys from their roster. I have just been surprised by their restraint this offseason. Normally they're the ones given out the Hayward contracts and trading all of their draft picks for Westbrook.
Old 12-20-2020, 01:05 AM   #48
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

MKG waived by Knicks
Old 12-20-2020, 10:07 AM   #49
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Gobert agrees to 5 year/$205 mil extension with Utah.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 02:41 PM   #50
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Gobert agrees to 5 year/$205 mil extension with Utah.
Good for him. I like seeing the Jazz re-sign their stars, good for the league.
2021 FA class is barren.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 02:54 PM   #51
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Good for him. I like seeing the Jazz re-sign their stars, good for the league.
2021 FA class is barren.
It's barren of superstars for sure.

Also Utah is going to be mediocre, but I love that they aren't blowing it all up. Just be a good playoff team for a while. There's nothing wrong with that.
Old 12-20-2020, 03:51 PM   #52
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Also Utah is going to be mediocre, but I love that they aren't blowing it all up. Just be a good playoff team for a while. There's nothing wrong with that.
I think they are a title contender. They were without their 3rd best player and second scoring option in Bogdan. He’s also a good wing defender and their best floor spacer. If Donovan continues to improve and Clarkson continues to play well with a better integrated Conley they are dangerous.
Old 12-20-2020, 03:52 PM   #53
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:

Time for Donnie to work his deadline trade magic.
Old 12-20-2020, 05:35 PM   #54
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Kuzma signs 3 year/$40 million extension.
Old 12-20-2020, 05:49 PM   #55
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Good lord, 2021 was supposed to be the greatest free agent class ever and now it looks like it will be the worst. Seriously, who's the best player left. 100 year old Kyle Lowry?
Old 12-20-2020, 06:11 PM   #56
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Good lord, 2021 was supposed to be the greatest free agent class ever and now it looks like it will be the worst. Seriously, who's the best player left. 100 year old Kyle Lowry?
Found from an article I read earlier:

Now the top of the class consists of names like Mike Conley and Kyle Lowry, both of whom are in their mid-30s. To find players outside their 30s, you’ll have to scroll down the page to names like Otto Porter Jr., Andre Drummond, Evan Fournier, Kelly Oubre Jr. and Cody Zeller.
Old 12-20-2020, 06:27 PM   #57
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Time for Donnie to work his deadline trade magic.
Honestly I'm not particularly optimistic on that front either. At least not in terms of getting an all-NBA type of talent. We still don't have a great deal of trade assets and lately teams seem so desperate to get any star they'll trade their whole future for a second tier player. If we wanted someone like Beal for example, I imagine there would be multiple teams willing to put together far better trade packages than we could.

Milwaukee set an insane precedent. Three first round picks, two pick swaps, Eric Bledsoe, and George Hill for a 30 year old non all-star. We're going to have a very tough time getting anyone who moves the needle.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 12-20-2020 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:12 PM   #58
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Honestly I'm not particularly optimistic on that front either. At least not in terms of getting an all-NBA type of talent. We still don't have a great deal of trade assets and lately teams seem so desperate to get any star they'll trade their whole future for a second tier player. If we wanted someone like Beal for example, I imagine there would be multiple teams willing to put together far better trade packages than we could.

Milwaukee set an insane precedent. Three first round picks, two pick swaps, Eric Bledsoe, and George Hill for a 30 year old non all-star. We're going to have a very tough time getting anyone who moves the needle.
This season yes, I agree. It will take someone having leverage and/or some good will from the team trading the “star,” to get them to a preferred destination. Beal may eventually be one of those guys, but not yet. And Washington is set up to have a pretty nice season actually.

Reason I said that about Donnie is it would behoove us to trade for another big salaried guy and go over the cap to re-sign Jrich and THJ, assuming they want to, right? Because once Luka signs his extension we will only have Exceptions to work with and few picks.

Last edited by mac222b; 12-20-2020 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:25 PM   #59
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Who even cares? Mavs suck at FA. Keep pulling J-Rich trades, and I'm happy. I've definitely given up on caring about FA.

Old 12-20-2020, 09:29 PM   #60
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Who even cares? Mavs suck at FA. Keep pulling J-Rich trades, and I'm happy. I've definitely given up on caring about FA.
I don't really care. I wasn't even commenting on it from a Mavs perspective. I'm just commenting on it from an NBA perspective.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:53 PM   #61
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
I don't really care. I wasn't even commenting on it from a Mavs perspective. I'm just commenting on it from an NBA perspective.
A lot of my responses aren't directed at you, just in general.

I just feel like Giannis staying is the last of the la la land big fish FA straws. I hope the FO feels the same way. Not that you give up trying for good but hopefully plan power is finished.

Old 12-21-2020, 01:37 AM   #62
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
A lot of my responses aren't directed at you, just in general.

I just feel like Giannis staying is the last of the la la land big fish FA straws. I hope the FO feels the same way. Not that you give up trying for good but hopefully plan power is finished.
I generally agree. No more hoarding cap space for any specific player or free agent class.

The flipside to that coin though is that I think sometimes it is better to stand pat when there isn't anyone available worth paying big, long term money to. Not that you're holding out for anyone in particular, but you don't want to give out bad contracts just for the sake of getting someone.

Also, as I said earlier, I'm not particularly optimistic about getting someone who really moves the needle any time soon. We still don't have a lot of trade assets. Several things have to happen for us to get another impact player- A: someone has to get disgruntled with their current team, and B: has to prefer the Mavs to other places, and C: the guys we drafted need to show some promise and become valuable prospects. That's a lot of variables.

As great as Donnie is at trades, Dirk still never had an all-nba teammate after 2003. I really, really hope Porzingis can be a realiable 2nd best player on a title contender, but I'm not counting on him staying healthy long enough for it to happen.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:52 PM   #63
BPo001
Diamond Member

Fultz signs a 3 year/$50 million extension with Orlando.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:32 PM   #64
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Lmao Curry allready exposed. Shiny toy in stacked Teams, cant truely carry a team
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:40 PM   #65
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Durant looks like Durant.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:45 PM   #66
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Nets are stacked. They don’t even start LeVert.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:20 PM   #67
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Glad we didn't get Gasol. He can barely move out there.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:38 PM   #68
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Glad we didn't get Gasol. He can barely move out there.
That's what it looks like. They're better off with AD at 5 and Harrell at 4.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:43 PM   #69
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Good lord the Lakers look like GARBAGE. Championship hangover?
Old 12-22-2020, 11:13 PM   #70
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Good lord the Lakers look like GARBAGE. Championship hangover?
Doubt any team will look into form until at least 20 games in.

Old 12-22-2020, 11:16 PM   #71
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Clippers are chokers
Old 12-22-2020, 11:46 PM   #72
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Clippers are chokers
It's probably not fair to judge too much of anything from the season opener, but, yeah, blowing a 20 point lead is a pretty bad look considering what happened in the bubble.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:54 PM   #73
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

https://streamable.com/1bgdqk
Old 12-23-2020, 02:42 PM   #74
mac222b
Diamond Member

League needs to come down on Harden and other Rockets hard. They are going to jeopardize the season.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:17 PM   #75
BPo001
Diamond Member

Harden doing everything he can to force the Rockets to trade his ass. Fuck that guy. You signed the contract. Deal with it. Rockets did everything to hand you the keys to their franchise. Not their fault you can’t get along with anyone.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:14 PM   #76
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Rockets-Thunder game is postponed

Rockets didn’t have 8 players available

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 12-23-2020 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-25-2020, 01:09 AM   #77
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/202...nets-warriors/
Old 12-25-2020, 09:37 AM   #78
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

https://youtu.be/cV4MBrEGPSw
Old 12-25-2020, 04:53 PM   #79
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Warriors are not an NBA team
Old 12-25-2020, 06:55 PM   #80
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

All those years of Curry laughing, dancing and mocking like an idiot and then recruiting Durant...im enjoying their trainwreck. Again.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote