Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-06-2004, 10:48 AM   #1
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dampier, beyond numbers

Good article by Sefko (stolen from JP at LMF, which is why I don't have a link)...

Dampier, beyond numbers

08:17 PM CST on Sunday, December 5, 2004

Eight points, seven rebounds.

If those are the numbers you use to evaluate Erick Dampier as the Mavericks' season hits the quarter pole this week, you'd have no choice but to declare the big off-season move a bust.

You'd be wrong.

Yes, the Mavericks can get those same numbers out of Shawn Bradley. And for that small, loyal group of Bradley supporters out there, we think he's doing an admirable job of backing up Dampier, a role that could be perfect for him.

But there are three reasons why Dampier already has proven to be a massive upgrade in the paint.
Mavericks/NBA

First, with him guarding centers such as Yao Ming, Brad Miller and Jamaal Magloire – All-Stars, all of them – the Mavericks don't have to send a double-team as quickly as they used to.

Second, on offense, he creates driving space for teammates and rebounding space for himself.

Third, and most important, he forces opponents to guard Dirk Nowitzki with a power forward. Yes, there are times when opponents still stick a small defender on Nowitzki, but that means the opposing power forward must guard either Josh Howard, Marquis Daniels or, when he returns from injury, Michael Finley.

"The biggest thing they did in the off-season was get Dirk back to power forward," said Houston coach Jeff Van Gundy. "Nobody can guard him there."

Nowitzki is benefiting from Dampier's presence. That alone makes the sign-and-trade for the true center worthy of a lengthy grace period before we draw conclusions based on numbers.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:12 AM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Dampier, beyond numbers

this article is far too short...Sefko merely states his three reasons with little to no actual proof given. Though I'm sure I agree, this is not good journalism. State your point/s then back it up with evidences. One obvious question that any critic could ask of this article is "Why could not Shawn Bradley fulfill all the three points? I don't think anyone is doubting Bradley's "true center" tag, I for one have never seen Shawn play shooting guard or even power forward.

as mentioned, I agree with Eddie...but make your point then prove it.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 11:21 AM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Dampier, beyond numbers

I was so disappointed in the dallas morning news and Sefko the other day when Dirk went off for 53. What did we get? A couple of pictures and a VERY short game write up.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 11:33 AM   #4
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

How I long for the days when the Sports Day was actually interesting reading. (Does that age me?)

edit: I just thought of one thing it's still good for.... I like the little chart showing the different Dallas teams and what days they play on... as well as the time for the game and TV information.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:46 AM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

...it hasn't been that long...
Old 12-06-2004, 12:14 PM   #6
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
"The biggest thing they did in the off-season was get Dirk back to power forward," said Houston coach Jeff Van Gundy. "Nobody can guard him there."
Um, Jeff, nobody can guard him anywhere....

I also was disappointed in the local media coverage of Dirk's feat. Alas, unfortunately it is the norm here in DFW. I swear the media is obsessed with the friggin cows.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:28 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Actually, they were too busy discussing Barry Bonds to mix in a little Dirk. It was pathetic. Norm was pathetic. The Musers were pathetic. Dale Hansen was pathetic. Fish is always pathetic..... FWST and DMN were pathetic.....disgusting.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:38 PM   #8
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road

Well at least the national media is catching on.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:22 PM   #9
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

I have noticed a definite trend that the length of articles at the DMN has been greatly reduced since having that judgment against them and subsequent dismissal of all of those writers. Try the Fort Worth Star Telegram. It has surpassed the DMN in my opinion.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 03:06 PM   #10
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Im pretty sick of the national attention on the steroids thing (is it really news?)

and local reporters shouldnt quit their job to re-hash what the national sources already said.

now back to the subject: Go Dirk!!
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 03:42 PM   #11
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: GP
I have noticed a definite trend that the length of articles at the DMN has been greatly reduced since having that judgment against them and subsequent dismissal of all of those writers.

Try the Fort Worth Star Telegram. It has surpassed the DMN in my opinion.
What judgment are you talking about? Fill me in on something I must have overlooked.

Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:11 PM   #12
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Where's that madape guy...I'd like to see his take on this article.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 08:44 PM   #13
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Belo falsified their subscription numbers to advertisers and got caught. They had to pay a boatload of money back. I can't remember the actual dollar amount but it was somewhere around 50 million. Anyway, both the Houston Chronicle and DMN laid off 300 people.

"Belo disclosed Aug. 5 that the Morning News had overstated newspaper sales as of September 2003. Advertisers overpaid because rates are usually based on circulation.

Belo is paying $23 million in cash and another $4 million on extra newsprint for make-good ads, and taking a $26 million charge against earnings to compensate advertisers for the mistake." from an associated press article.

Old 12-06-2004, 08:47 PM   #14
GP

I think about the article tells it like it is. Dampier has been nothing short of sensational. He is a terrific player who really works hard. He was very physical with Utah on both ends of the floor. Mark Eaton was a great center in his day and he never scored a bucket. However, I think we'll definitely see more offense from Dampier as the season passes along.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:39 PM   #15
bloodyhell

bloodyhell is on a distinguished road

Old 12-06-2004, 10:40 PM   #16
bloodyhell

bloodyhell is on a distinguished road

Now if he could just get his ppg up.