Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-04-2004, 11:30 PM   #1
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Dirk Leads the league in scoring now

Wow. And he almost takes 5-8 shots less than Showbe. MVP numbers.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:35 PM   #2
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE:Dirk Leads the league in scoring now

1. Dirk Nowitzki (Dallas Mavericks) 16 138 142 436 27.3
2. Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers) 17 135 158 455 26.8
3. Amare Stoudemire (Phoenix Suns) 16 154 108 416 26.0
4. Allen Iverson (Philadelphia 76ers) 14 117 108 357 25.5
5. LeBron James (Cleveland Cavaliers) 16 150 85 400 25.0
6. Ray Allen (Seattle SuperSonics) 17 131 111 419 24.6
7. Dwyane Wade (Miami Heat) 15 119 124 364 24.3
8. Kevin Garnett (Minnesota Timberwolves) 15 132 82 347 23.1
8. Tim Duncan (San Antonio Spurs) 17 145 101 392 23.1
10. Paul Pierce (Boston Celtics) 15 97 125 338 22.5
Old 12-04-2004, 11:57 PM   #3
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of
Default RE: Dirk Leads the league in scoring now

Those numbers aren't accurate. Those are the numbers before today's games.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:01 AM   #4
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: ocelot_ark
You are right. But he should still lead the league in scoring unless Kobe scores 80 points and lakers do not have a game tonight.

Old 12-05-2004, 12:13 AM   #5
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Props to Dirk. Everyone complained that with losing Nash you lose Dirk's scoring and he's been putting up career stats this season. He's proving the critics wrong. IMO, only thing stopping him from winning MVP is if the Spurs or the T-Wolves have a better record than us.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 12:18 AM   #6
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Yeah, MFF...mainly I was just wanting to clarify. He should even have a higher avg now.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:20 AM   #7
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Infact Dirk admitted that the reason he is going to the free throw line more is because of Nash making him a spot up shooter and now he has to create his own shots and in the process he has to drive a lot to score and get fouled.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:23 AM   #8
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
Infact Dirk admitted that the reason he is going to the free throw line more is because of Nash making him a spot up shooter and now he has to create his own shots and in the process he has to drive a lot to score and get fouled.

Most definately. When we had Nash he had to have the ball in his hands at all times. That's how our offense ran. Now the ball is running more through Dirk and the ball is in his hands alot more than last season.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 12:32 AM   #9
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: ocelot_ark
I thought the same thing. But i forgot that he missed a game and only scored 11 in the game vs. Denver when he got injured. So when i calculated tonight's game, it comes up to 27.4ppg.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 12:37 AM   #10
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
It's nice to have him do all those things, but hopefully all the wear and tear that comes with it won't burn him out towards the end of the season...

on the other hand, I just love it to see Kobe in second place [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 01:37 AM   #11
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP!
Old 12-05-2004, 02:33 AM   #12
James92se

James92se is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: capitalcity
MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP!
Hopefully Dirk will get his assists up a little bit, then there's no reason I could see that anyone would deny Dirk deserving of the MVP award. I'm still a little peeved that a big knock on Dirk two years ago was that he had Nash and Fin on his team, but then KG gets Spree and Cassell (and Cassell even had a career year too) and it's not held against him [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I find it strange that Dirk is besting Duncan in the assists and steals department, but passing isnt really considered a knock on TD (I was surprised to see he's never even averaged over 1 steal a game!) like it is Dirk. Oh well..

IMO this year it should really be between KG and Dirk. If Dirk can get up around 4 assists a game or get his blocks up a little bit, I see no reason why he shouldnt win. If not, I see no reason why he shouldnt be a SERIOUS contender as is. Unfortunately I fear that beyond Mavs fans Dirk is still considered 'just' a scorer and that it may be held against him come award time =\

James92se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 02:54 AM   #13
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

Timmy & Dirk #1 & #2 IMO

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 02:58 AM   #14
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light

I guess the question is whether Dirk's 4+ ppg makes up for his minus 4 rebounds per game, and minus almost 4 assists per game. Not to mention the perceived defensive weakness when comparing KG to Dirk. Still, he should move into at least the top 3 or 4 in getting consideration. If Peja got *any* consideration last year, Dirk should definitely get some this year.
4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:35 AM   #15
bloodyhell

bloodyhell is on a distinguished road

It's amazing to me that dirk could score 53 points all without nash setting him up for easy looks. And he's had to learn to do it all on his own this year without a guard that can give him the ball in good spots. So the big question i have is how many 3's did dirk attempt on the 53 point night? The guy is a real stud to do it all without nash.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:00 AM   #16
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

Oh ok, so there is actually someone out there who doesn't want Dirk to dominate scoring wise...
Quote:

While he had another grand scoring night, don't expect him to stay atop the scoring list all season.

"I wouldn't want him to, really," Nelson said. "What you look for is more of a well-rounded team. You can have a guy who can dominate and score a lot. But if someone gets 30 every night, it's not better for the team, normally."
Old 12-05-2004, 09:04 AM   #17
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Whatever Nellie.

MJ scored 30 a game, Bird scored 27+ a game on numerous occasions.

The Mavs are best off getting the freaking ball to Dirk as often as possible.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 10:38 AM   #18
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: HexNBA
Oh ok, so there is actually someone out there who doesn't want Dirk to dominate scoring wise...
Quote:

While he had another grand scoring night, don't expect him to stay atop the scoring list all season.

"I wouldn't want him to, really," Nelson said. "What you look for is more of a well-rounded team. You can have a guy who can dominate and score a lot. But if someone gets 30 every night, it's not better for the team, normally."
That quote from Nellie is such a generalization... it's laughable!! How could a guy who's been more than 40 years in the league make such a stupid observation.

V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 10:50 AM   #19
Waschdel

Waschdel is on a distinguished road

Why shouldn´t he average 27,5 on 18 shots per game? Maybe some volume shooters like showbe will score more points. With Dirk´s current percentages it would be foolish to reduce his attempts.
On a side note: The Mavs didn´t loose one of the seven games when Dirk scored 30+ pts.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:23 PM   #20
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: Hitman
Whatever Nellie.

MJ scored 30 a game, Bird scored 27+ a game on numerous occasions.

The Mavs are best off getting the freaking ball to Dirk as often as possible.
Although i'm not fond of Nelson, i see where Nelson is coming from. I think he got his conclusion from looking at players like TMac/Iverson and see they didn't help their team make any noise.

I think even those players you mentioned and past historical players that scored to 27+ also found a way to consistently keep their teammates involved on the offensive end. That's why Tim Duncan is not chastized for his low assist, because his team as a whole are a very good passing team.

The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 01:29 PM   #21
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: James92se
Quote:
Originally posted by: capitalcity
Hopefully Dirk will get his assists up a little bit, then there's no reason I could see that anyone would deny Dirk deserving of the MVP award. I'm still a little peeved that a big knock on Dirk two years ago was that he had Nash and Fin on his team, but then KG gets Spree and Cassell (and Cassell even had a career year too) and it's not held against him [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I find it strange that Dirk is besting Duncan in the assists and steals department, but passing isnt really considered a knock on TD (I was surprised to see he's never even averaged over 1 steal a game!) like it is Dirk. Oh well..

IMO this year it should really be between KG and Dirk. If Dirk can get up around 4 assists a game or get his blocks up a little bit, I see no reason why he shouldnt win. If not, I see no reason why he shouldnt be a SERIOUS contender as is. Unfortunately I fear that beyond Mavs fans Dirk is still considered 'just' a scorer and that it may be held against him come award time =\
Someone who hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet is LeBron James. He's been absolutely amazing so far this year, and the Cavs are at the top of the Eastern Conference. As of right now, I think it's a heat between Dirk and Bron.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 02:47 PM   #22
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

If dirk can get a layup with a pass instead of scoring himself it makes the team better. I think nellie is right on, as long as he realises (and I think he does) that dirk is his best most consistent scoring option.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 05:54 PM   #23
jibikao

jibikao is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Props to Dirk. Everyone complained that with losing Nash you lose Dirk's scoring and he's been putting up career stats this season. He's proving the critics wrong. IMO, only thing stopping him from winning MVP is if the Spurs or the T-Wolves have a better record than us.

Exactly. Dirk WILL WIN this year's MVP if Mavs has the best record in NBA. He has the stats and ability to be an Elite player. But if T-Wolves or Spurs have better records, then Dirk won't win (although he'll get the votes).

Jimmy

www.keepshooting.com
jibikao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:02 PM   #24
jibikao

jibikao is on a distinguished road

So Nelson does know that Passing is more important than Scoring?

Are you sure he said that? LOL

No offense, but I thought the way he's been teaching Mavs is to SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT. When Nash was here, he controls the ball 90% of the time to run offense for the other guys but other players rarely cut. And our big guys aren't very good at passing because 1.) nobody cuts so naturally they are not used to passing 2.) they would rather shoot the ball or pass it back to Nash.

That statement is CORRECT though. An elite team shouldn't just rely on one player scoring 30+ per game. I don't want Dirk to be like that. Basically, I would be happy if Dirk scores 20ish and the team wins. That's more important.

If Dirk can score 23ish, with 4ish assist and 10ish rebounds, he WILL BE the MVP if Mavs has the best record.

Jimmy

www.keepshooting.com
jibikao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 09:37 PM   #25
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road

But with 27+ points and the best record their will be no question. I have man love for Dirk.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:07 PM   #26
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
That statement is CORRECT though. An elite team shouldn't just rely on one player scoring 30+ per game. I don't want Dirk to be like that. Basically, I would be happy if Dirk scores 20ish and the team wins. That's more important.
Two words, Michael and Jordan. Six championship rings to go and six scoring championships during those same years are pretty hard to argue with. Doesn't mean that you have to have the scoring leader to win a championship, but it sure as hell doesn't mean that you can't win a championship with a player leading the league in scoring.

Now don't get me wrong, I'd rather see Dirk average in the low 20's and win a championship than see him average in the 30's and not win a championship. However, IMO the Mavs best chance to be a championship caliber team is to run the ball through Dirk most of the time. If that means Dirk scores 30+ so be it. If that means that Dirk gets doubled and swings the ball to the open man, then so be it. The key is that when Dirk gets the ball that the other 4 players on the court don't just sit back with their thumbs up their @$$. They should be making cuts, moving to create passing angles, and getting position for offensive rebounds. The Mavs are not nor should they be a one man team. However, I think running the ball through Dirk will provide the best chance for the Mavs to score in the half court whether it's Dirk ultimate taking the shot or swinging the ball to the open man.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:16 PM   #27
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Someone who hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet is LeBron James.
at this point in the season, I'd put it like this: KG, Dirk, James

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 04:01 PM   #28
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I really dislike the guy, but it's pretty hard to have a list of the three top guys and not include KG

23.1ppg, 15.3rpg, 6.3apg, 2.0bpg, 1.75spg

EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 05:11 AM   #29
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

I just love to look at those stats... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote