Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #2081
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"We'll spend some time golfing and we got the same agent, so that makes it easy" -- Jason Kidd (in reference to Deron Williams)
So it looks like Deron and Kidd could be packaged together this summer - either for Dallas or Brooklyn... And I can't imagine Kidd ditching Dallas for Brooklyn unless the Nets somehow land Dwight Howard... And the only opportunity for the Nets to nab Dwight before Deron becomes a free agent is during the draft... So if Dwight Howard isn't traded to Brooklyn during the draft, then Williams/Kidd is pretty much a lock for Dallas.

Feeling cautiously optimistic...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-08-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #2082
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
So it looks like Deron and Kidd could be packaged together this summer - either for Dallas or Brooklyn... And I can't imagine Kidd ditching Dallas for Brooklyn unless the Nets somehow land Dwight Howard... And the only opportunity for the Nets to nab Dwight before Deron becomes a free agent is during the draft... So if Dwight Howard isn't traded to Brooklyn during the draft, then Williams/Kidd is pretty much a lock for Dallas.

Feeling cautiously optimistic...
Except he is selling his condo in Dallas and purchased a $5.7mill mansion in New York during the lockout.

Im crossing my fingers, too though.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-08-2012 at 06:41 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #2083
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFTR View Post
For what it's worth, Deron just tweeted a pic of himself in a Hamilton jersey.
Better then Lebron wearing a Yankee hat, with a Jim Brown jersey.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #2084
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's kind of the feeling I've had, that they're kind of a packaged deal. I have no idea or not if that's actually true, but it feels like it's lining up to be that way.

Kidd isn't likely going to go to a crappy team for a money grab. The list of teams with a PG that fits on Kidd's "list" of PGs he would back up can't be that long.

It really does seem like a 2-horse race for BOTH of them.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #2085
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Except he is selling his condo in Dallas and purchased a $5.7mill mansion in New York during the lockout.

Im crossing my fingers, too though.
He put his condo on the market during the lockout, and I'm pretty sure I read something about him considering retirement if the season got cancelled (which it looked like it would), so who knows?

Plus, pro athletes own property all over the place...

But that might still be a cause for concern.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-08-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #2086
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Come on, little general!

Quote:
And I can't imagine Kidd ditching Dallas for Brooklyn

"No Kidd, dribble 4 steps THAT way!"

"Didn't you see that he was partially open on the play??"

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 05-08-2012 at 06:50 PM.
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #2087
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He put his condo on the market during the lockout, and I'm pretty sure I read something about him considering retirement if the season got cancelled (which it looked like it would), so who knows?

Plus, pro athletes own property all over the place...

But that might still be a cause for concern.
At least its 2 hours away. I know I wouldnt want to commute from the Hamptons to Brooklyn on a regular basis. He'd most likely need to rent or buy a condo closer to the arena if he wanted to go to Brooklyn. I havent heard any word on Kidd's Dallas condo selling.

I also know my heart would be in Dallas but between the sour chemistry and the foot-in-mouth syndrome of Donnie, I'm feeling less confident.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-08-2012 at 06:54 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #2088
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

If anyone just saw TXA21, some bald guy named Arne spoke with Deron Williams' mother. They believe Deron is coming to Dallas.
MavsFTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #2089
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

I think Avery may hinder that trip to Brooklyn for Kidd, Deron may have seen what Kidd has been talking about.....I can hope.

Kidd buying in NY is mostly about retirement, plus he has 3 kids via Joumana that are still in the Jersey area. I remember a while back he said being in Dallas was hard on TJ. He also has title to a home in Southern California where his eldest son lives.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #2090
Jon

Jon is a name known to allJon is a name known to allJon is a name known to allJon is a name known to allJon is a name known to allJon is a name known to allJon is a name known to allJon is a name known to allJon is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
That's kind of the feeling I've had, that they're kind of a packaged deal. I have no idea or not if that's actually true, but it feels like it's lining up to be that way.

Kidd isn't likely going to go to a crappy team for a money grab. The list of teams with a PG that fits on Kidd's "list" of PGs he would back up can't be that long.

It really does seem like a 2-horse race for BOTH of them.

I can only see Kidd going there if the Nets snag the top pick and trade Anthony Davis, Marshon Brooks, a few other players and a few other top picks to the Magic for Howard. Guess we all got to pray that doesn't happen.

Otherwise, I don't see J. Kidd clamoring for a chance to help rebuild Brooklyn's team. I reckon he'd want a squad that's ready-made.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #2091
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Wouldn't that be essentially paying your hometown's taxes for the purposes of calculating amount paid in taxes rather than who the taxes are paid to? The money goes elsewhere but if you can deduct the 6% that you pay in Arizona when playing in Phoenix from your 10.5% New York, you'd still be responsible for the remainder of taxes owed, wouldn't you?

I believe you'd still owe the 10.5% tax, but in states with lesser income tax, you'd pay a fraction to that state and the rest to your home state, so your net tax amount would remain unchanged. If you were paying 10.5% tax in every state, you'd essentially paying half your taxes to other states and half to your home state (NY), but you'd still be paying essentially the same sum?
I'm not completely positive (and it varies some from state to state, I'm sure), but as I understand it, most states that credit the jock tax do so at the maximum of the home state's rate (not the away state). So actually, jock-tax wise, you lose out if your state has a lower (or no) income tax, because you'll get no credit for paying it to the away state.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #2092
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

The four against five years argument is pretty much bullshit because with either team (Mavs or Nets) he will demand an opt out clause after the third year (like James, Wade etc have them). In that way he can get at age 31 another five year max contract and secure the most money. Much miore than hitting FA again at age 33 after playing five years with the Nets...

Its just a point if he thinks he pulls a Brandon Roy within the next 4 years.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #2093
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
The four against five years argument is pretty much bullshit because with either team (Mavs or Nets) he will demand an opt out clause after the third year (like James, Wade etc have them). In that way he can get at age 31 another five year max contract and secure the most money. Much miore than hitting FA again at age 33 after playing five years with the Nets...

Its just a point if he thinks he pulls a Brandon Roy within the next 4 years.
I don't know that it's 100% that he'd demand an opt out, but that's something I'd been wondering about. You're very correct to point out that possibility. That doesn't remove the extra security if the extra year, but the odds of Deron not getting a max deal that fifth year from someone are extremely slim.

Also, Kidd signing with a team coached by Avery Johnson would shock me more than anything I've seen in basketball in a long, long time.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 05-08-2012 at 08:17 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #2094
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone catch the Deron discussion on the Hardline yesterday? I was stuck in traffic for an hour on the way home, and decided to tune in. Not only did Corby and Rhyner have absolutely zero idea of the specifics involved in why Deron might want to come here, Rhyner treated us to his theory that "those kind of players don't want to come here." Never mind that this is the first time in the Cuban era that the Mavs have actually had serious cap room.

Don't get me wrong, I have no idea what will happen just like everyone else, but they listed Prokhorov as one of the reasons Deron would re-sign with the Nets. Rhyner also stated that Deron had never once discussed Dallas as a place he would like to play throughout the course of his career, going all the way back to Utah. He added that Deron wasn't a "difference-maker." Needless to say, before going from throwing up a little in my mouth to having to pull over and spew out of my car door, I grabbed a CD and made much better use of my time. What an absolute abortion that program is. It's one thing to broadcast to the lowest common denominator, all while joking about how above-it-all they are, but their grasp of what's really happening in the sports world is an absolute joke.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #2095
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Funny how many "experts" there are weighing in on the Deron situation. I'm fine with the topic since it's a big deal, but the rumors are running rampant.

The worst thing that could happen is for Deron to delay his decision after FA starts and then NOT come here. That precious time in free agency would almost inevitably mean the Mavs miss out on some key plan B-type guys.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #2096
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Funny how many "experts" there are weighing in on the Deron situation. I'm fine with the topic since it's a big deal, but the rumors are running rampant.

The worst thing that could happen is for Deron to delay his decision after FA starts and then NOT come here. That precious time in free agency would almost inevitably mean the Mavs miss out on some key plan B-type guys.
Thankfully he wants to sign before Olympic camp starts. I think that starts around July 7th.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #2097
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma View Post
Did anyone catch the Deron discussion on the Hardline yesterday? I was stuck in traffic for an hour on the way home, and decided to tune in. Not only did Corby and Rhyner have absolutely zero idea of the specifics involved in why Deron might want to come here, Rhyner treated us to his theory that "those kind of players don't want to come here." Never mind that this is the first time in the Cuban era that the Mavs have actually had serious cap room.

Don't get me wrong, I have no idea what will happen just like everyone else, but they listed Prokhorov as one of the reasons Deron would re-sign with the Nets. Rhyner also stated that Deron had never once discussed Dallas as a place he would like to play throughout the course of his career, going all the way back to Utah. He added that Deron wasn't a "difference-maker." Needless to say, before going from throwing up a little in my mouth to having to pull over and spew out of my car door, I grabbed a CD and made much better use of my time. What an absolute abortion that program is. It's one thing to broadcast to the lowest common denominator, all while joking about how above-it-all they are, but their grasp of what's really happening in the sports world is an absolute joke.
This is exactly why it's impossible to have a serious discussion with the "average" Dallas sports fan - most of the popular local media types don't have a clue what they're talking about, EVER, but that doesn't stop the average idiot from parroting every word they hear on the radio or read in the newspaper as if it's the absolute truth.

Then those same idiots jump on a forum like this one and try to convince people who can run mental circles around most of the Dallas talking heads that the garbage they spouted is relevant... Until reality proves otherwise, then those idiots pretend like they never bought into that nonsense in the first place...

Rinse, repeat.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-11-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #2098
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Marc Stein says 50-50, everyone else is selling airtime or ad space...

Last edited by Underdog; 05-11-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #2099
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

The Ticket's been driving me insane. Both Norm and Sturm mentioned that the Mavs could do a sign and trade with NJ and give Deron the full contract he could get with NJ (not true anymore).

Corby and Sturm have been talking about how there's no draw here, there's no appeal other than "home" which has never lured anyone here. Such a beating.

One thing I did find interesting: Norm had a NJ beat writer on yesterday, and the guy was pretty informative. He says the Nets are "cautiously optimistic" that they're going to keep Deron, although there's a feeling that he might just be waiting to see if they do something dramatic to improve the roster (Dwight Howard).

He also said that Deron has a "really good" relationship with Avery, which stunned me.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #2100
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is exactly why it's impossible to have a serious discussion with the "average" Dallas sports fan - most of the popular local media types don't have a clue what they're talking about, EVER, but that doesn't stop the average idiot from parroting every word they hear on the radio or read in the newspaper as if it's the absolute truth.

Then those same idiots jump on a forum like this one and try to convince people who can run mental circles around most of the Dallas talking heads that the garbage they spouted is relevant... Until reality proves otherwise, then those idiots pretend like they never bought into that nonsense in the first place...

Rinse, repeat.
To me, the most staggering aspect of the Hardline's "coverage" of the Deron-to-Dallas angle was that they were "filled-in" on the subject by a random dude who walked up to them before their remote broadcast. And they quoted him verbatim in their discussion. It's like old ladies at the retirement home gathering around to talk about their "stories". It's everything I loathe about sports talk radio.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #2101
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is exactly why it's impossible to have a serious discussion with the "average" Dallas sports fan -
Rinse, repeat.
So true. Found a rare Dallas fan in Alabama during a regular season game this year at a bar...he blamed Cuban for why Lamar Odom didnt work out. Said well he never had a problem in LA. He also said Lamar should be running point. I laughed.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #2102
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma View Post

Don't listen to Rhyner and Corby for intelligent basketball talk.. or intelligent hockey talk. I suppose you can get decent baseball talk out of Rhyner... But, they're still the most listenable afternoon drive time sports talk show station that's on the air in the metroplex.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #2103
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I think Avery is the type of coach who is passable for a year or two. He does have passion.

Over time, and in crunch time, he gradually just becomes the guy with the loudest voice.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #2104
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Let's not blast the 50-50 quote everywhere. Stein said 50-50 AT BEST. Does that mean 20-80 is most realistic?

I don't think Stein really knows. His quote made me think it's a tossup at best but the field is more likely to win than Dallas this point. Dallas *may* be on even standing with NJ but the field is who Dallas is playing against.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #2105
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
Let's not blast the 50-50 quote everywhere. Stein said 50-50 AT BEST. Does that mean 20-80 is most realistic?

I don't think Stein really knows. His quote made me think it's a tossup at best but the field is more likely to win than Dallas this point. Dallas *may* be on even standing with NJ but the field is who Dallas is playing against.
All the more important is that initial contact we make with Deron, at the earliest moment possible, we bang on his door and make a knock your socks off presentation along with a contract. I'd go as far as bringing in Dirk, Harp, Davis as well as Cuban and Nelson, hopefully we sign up RC as well and bring him along.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #2106
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
All the more important is that initial contact we make with Deron, at the earliest moment possible, we bang on his door and make a knock your socks off presentation along with a contract. I'd go as far as bringing in Dirk, Harp, Davis as well as Cuban and Nelson, hopefully we sign up RC as well and bring him along.
I'm pretty sure Deron Williams already knows which team he's playing for next season (and that team also knows), but they're keeping quiet about it so they don't get busted for tampering and collusion... The Miami Heat laid out the blueprint on the future of NBA team-building.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-11-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #2107
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Deron Williams already knows which team he's playing for next season (and that team also knows), but they're keeping quiet about it so they don't get busted for tampering and collusion... The Miami Heat laid out the blueprint on the future of NBA team-building.
Yea, hope you're right.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #2108
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Yea, hope you're right.
Even if I'm right, it doesn't necessarily mean his choice is Dallas...

Old 05-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #2109
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Even if I'm right, it doesn't necessarily mean his choice is Dallas...
It would mean that we could move on quickly if it's not us.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #2110
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McGuire View Post
It would mean that we could move on quickly if it's not us.
Very true. It also means we can move quickly if it is us.

Hopefully he makes his choice ASAP this summer so everyone can move on (unlike LeBron, who kept the entire league on hold until The Decision...)

Old 05-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #2111
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

Deron Williams to Meet with Nets:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...deron-williams
Old 05-11-2012, 11:42 PM   #2112
Underdog

Quote:
Makes sense, considering they're the only team that CAN meet with him until free agency starts.

I find it interesting that Pecker-ov is meeting him in Turkey rather than in Brooklyn... I mean, it's obviously closer to Russia and Deron just happens to be there right now, but wouldn't it be a bigger gesture to court him in their brand new $1 billion Barclays Center? I dunno, seems like more of the same - a disinterested owner with bigger priorities than basketball.

Come to where the flavor is, Deron... Come to Cuban Country.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-11-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:09 PM   #2113
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
If anyone just saw TXA21, some bald guy named Arne spoke with Deron Williams' mother. They believe Deron is coming to Dallas.
buy they do you mean deron's mother or arne?
Old 05-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #2114
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Makes sense, considering they're the only team that CAN meet with him until free agency starts.

I find it interesting that Pecker-ov is meeting him in Turkey rather than in Brooklyn... I mean, it's obviously closer to Russia and Deron just happens to be there right now, but wouldn't it be a bigger gesture to court him in their brand new $1 billion Barclays Center? I dunno, seems like more of the same - a disinterested owner with bigger priorities than basketball.

I'm pretty sure deron wanted to vacation over there to spend some time with his old beskitas teammates.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #2115
MavsFTR
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
buy they do you mean deron's mother or arne?
Both.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #2116
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Quote:
This was it

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #2117
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:

Deron went to Barclays the Tuesday before the season finale. Seemed to bring him back to what the Nets were all about next season, everything is new.......haha, except the losing.

http://www.sportando.net/eng/usa/nba...-is-great.html
Old 05-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #2118
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Alex Raskin ‏ @alexraskinNYC
#Mavericks fans shouldn't get their hopes up on Deron Williams. This guy likes NYC a lot, and my gut tells me he sticks with the #Nets .
The shift in the media over the past 2-3 months is pretty striking. That's especially true given that I don't think there is any tangible evidence directly supporting that shift (except maybe the Mavs' doing poorly in the playoffs, if you count that). It seems like it starts with just a few people saying, "Oh he's leaning toward Dallas," or "Oh he's leaning toward NJ," and then it just takes off.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #2119
Scott McGuire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
The shift in the media over the past 2-3 months is pretty striking. That's especially true given that I don't think there is any tangible evidence directly supporting that shift (except maybe the Mavs' doing poorly in the playoffs, if you count that). It seems like it starts with just a few people saying, "Oh he's leaning toward Dallas," or "Oh he's leaning toward NJ," and then it just takes off.
When I watched the All Star game I kept thinking to myself that Dwight and Deron could be Mavs and I was really excited and optimistic.

Recently I've swung over to the pessimistic side. I want to believe, I just don't.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #2120
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

My stance has always been that I'm not reading into anything, good or bad, until we get near the time where a decision REALLY needs to be made.

Either way, hope for the best and plan for the worst.

Tags
awesome to think of, colonystateofmind, death knells, delusional1234, deroff, git'erdonecubes, i have a dream, markus123no, michael reddish?, my ass bleeds for tyson, never happen dumbazz, oilfieldva-jay-jay, sard's sources outta @ss, shark tank for dwight, tank for dwight