Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-13-2003, 12:56 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i thought it would be a good idea for everyone to take a look at how the mavs matchup with certain teams as the playoffs approach...what are your thoughts?

Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2003, 12:59 PM   #2
TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 will become famous soon enoughTwoDeep3 will become famous soon enough

No David Robinson the Mavs take them.

The frog at point is streaky and can play lights out. ButNash is more consistant and will put up points and defend better.

Their complimentary players around Duncan are not as good as our players.

Dirk matches Duncan in points and we win. Because their interior defense isn't as good as it once was. And that they don't have Robinson.

If he plays it becomes a much tighter game. But I still like the Mavs in this best of series.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:06 PM   #3
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Mavs have a problem of letting these young pg's take over games against them. Bibby and Jackson did in the playoff series last season. Earlier this season in the first meeting against the Spurs Parker had either his career high or season high in points. That is not a good sign. If Bradley and Lafrentz somehow can be as effective against Duncan as they were the last meeting than it's the Mavs game. If Mavs decide to play like they did against the T-wolves on the offensive side then we might as well pack our bags because there is no way we win that. I don't remember when the last time the Mavs have scored over 105 points which they once use to average. I let Malik Rose and Ginobilli and maybe even Parker beat us as long as we can contain Duncan under 30.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 01:09 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

so, you're saying that the mavs win as long as parker doesn't "french" toast nash.

mark it for corby
Old 03-13-2003, 01:32 PM   #5
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<< so, you're saying that the mavs win as long as parker doesn't &quot;french&quot; toast nash.

mark it for corby
>>

Well we can't let Duncan score over 50 and let him have a career game also. All I want is for Nash to outperform the opposing teams point guard. I don't see him do that much or lately for that matter.

1996-2005
Old 03-13-2003, 01:34 PM   #6
Intruder

Intruder is on a distinguished road

<< I let Malik Rose and Ginobilli and maybe even Parker beat us as long as we can contain Duncan under 30. >>

Funny thing is, that they are winning with Duncan not being the leading scorer... You forgot Jackson too....

Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 01:46 PM   #7
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Bradley played his best game of the year against Tim Duncan he totally took him out of his rythm. If we get any play out of the five I say we win in 6. The win in the front court with Robinson, Duncan, Rose, and willis, but the mavericks need solid play out of Bradley and Raef to at least compete with robinson and willis. The mavericks have to take advantage of there back court one of the strongest in the league. Nash, Finley and Nick all have to have big games. Although San Antonio is much improved with the resurgence of stephen jackson, Manu Ginobli, and Tony Parker. Najera just has to be the pest he is. Dirk just has to be Dirk he has to be able to take over the game.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 01:48 PM   #8
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<<

<< I let Malik Rose and Ginobilli and maybe even Parker beat us as long as we can contain Duncan under 30. >>

Funny thing is, that they are winning with Duncan not being the leading scorer... You forgot Jackson too....
>>

In the playoffs that method is not going to work. Duncan is going to have to be the leading scorer and he more than likely will. Stephen Jackson doesn't really hurt the Mavs as much as Malik and Parker has. i hear alot of praise out of Jackson but I can only go by what I see when the play against the Mavs. Stephen in the last meeting was effective he hit I believe he had like 11 in the first half and was never heard from again. Him and Bruce Bowen are guys I do not want to leave open behind the 3 but they do not scare me at all.

1996-2005
Old 03-13-2003, 02:03 PM   #9
Intruder

<<

<<

>>

In the playoffs that method is not going to work. Duncan is going to have to be the leading scorer and he more than likely will. Stephen Jackson doesn't really hurt the Mavs as much as Malik and Parker has. i hear alot of praise out of Jackson but I can only go by what I see when the play against the Mavs. Stephen in the last meeting was effective he hit I believe he had like 11 in the first half and was never heard from again. Him and Bruce Bowen are guys I do not want to leave open behind the 3 but they do not scare me at all.
>>

The spurs are playing the same offense that they have played for I don't know how long, the only difference is they have players that can take it to the basket this time around, and if left wide open take the jumper... They just don't sit and watch Tim do his thing anymore....

Intruder
Old 03-13-2003, 02:51 PM   #10
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

The Spurs will fail to move on becaue Parker, Jackson and Ginobilli are all 1st or second year players and you don't win a lot of playoff series with 3 of your top 6 being that inexperienced. Parker can be taken out of his game as we saw with Bell on him and frankly Ginobilli for all of his athleticism can not hang with Finley.

The biggest chance the Spurs have against the Mavs is that the Mavs suck playing against a real high low game. That is why Nesterovic with Garnett, Vlade with Webber and Robinson with Duncan are such leathal duos to the Mavs. If Robinson plays and we have home court I see the Mav's winning in 7 just because of the experience factor with the Spur's ball handlers. If he plays and we do not have home court, the series goes to the Spurs in 7. If he does not play, we win in 6 with homecourt and 7 without.

I trully think the Spurs will get killed by the Lakers or Kings because Jackson and Ginobilli are rookies, so i don't think we will have to face the Spurs not matter which way the brackets fall.

Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 02:57 PM   #11
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I'd feel better about playing the Spurs than the Kings or even possibly the Lakers. I think we've matched up well with the Spurs in the last two regular seasons... but -- I'll reserve final judgement until after our last two games against them this year.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 03:03 PM   #12
Intruder

<<

I trully think the Spurs will get killed by the Lakers or Kings because Jackson and Ginobilli are rookies, so i don't think we will have to face the Spurs not matter which way the brackets fall.
>>

This season:
3-0 against the lakers
3-1 against sacto.

Jackson is not a rookie. This is his second year in a spurs uniform, and I believe he was in new jersey before that.

Ginobili is a 26 year old &quot;rookie&quot;. I believe he was the MVP in the european league last year...

One thing that I agree with you is, that we will not meet in the playoffs. Mavs will not make it very far....Not without some sort of consistent interior presence.

Intruder
Old 03-13-2003, 03:20 PM   #13
ariosto

ariosto is on a distinguished road

<< One thing that I agree with you is, that we will not meet in the playoffs. Mavs will not make it very far....Not without some sort of consistent interior presence.

Intruder
>>

I'm getting so tired of hearing this. If we get the first seed, who is going to stop us from going far in the play-offs?
Old 03-13-2003, 03:21 PM   #14
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

<<

<<

>>

This season:
3-0 against the lakers
3-1 against sacto.

Jackson is not a rookie. This is his second year in a spurs uniform, and I believe he was in new jersey before that.

Ginobili is a 26 year old &quot;rookie&quot;. I believe he was the MVP in the european league last year...

One thing that I agree with you is, that we will not meet in the playoffs. Mavs will not make it very far....Not without some sort of consistent interior presence.

Intruder
>>

1-1 against the MAVS!!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 03:25 PM   #15
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<<

<<

<<

>>

This season:
3-0 against the lakers
3-1 against sacto.

Intruder
>>

1-1 against the MAVS!!
>>

You mean 1-3. Ooopss. I'm getting ahead of myself. We matched up pretty well in the first meeting without Dirk that game. That 4th quarter really hurt us. With Dirk out there we looked like we can handle the Spurs. The playoffs are a whole different atmosphere but I feel real good if we somehow play the Spurs in a series.

1996-2005
Old 03-13-2003, 03:25 PM   #16
Intruder

<<

<<

<<

>>

This season:
3-0 against the lakers
3-1 against sacto.

Intruder
>>

1-1 against the MAVS!!
>>

Spurs win --&gt; No Dirk
Mavs win --&gt; No Drob

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Intruder
Old 03-13-2003, 03:30 PM   #17
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<<

<<

<<

<<

>>

This season:
3-0 against the lakers
3-1 against sacto.

Intruder
>>

1-1 against the MAVS!!
>>

Spurs win --&gt; No Dirk
Mavs win --&gt; No Drob

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Intruder
>>

So you believe that Spurs have no chance to win any games without DROB? Where was DROB the last post season? I honestly can't critique DROB becasue I have not seen him play since last season. But you make it out to be like Spurs can't win without DRob.

1996-2005
Old 03-13-2003, 03:37 PM   #18
Intruder

<< [i]

<<
So you believe that Spurs have no chance to win any games without DROB? Where was DROB the last post season? I honestly can't critique DROB becasue I have not seen him play since last season. But you make it out to be like Spurs can't win without DRob.
>>

He's the Spurs starting center. He is a very important element of the spurs defense. And if you double, or even triple team duncan without the ball, like Nelly did last time, He would more than likely have a dunk fest. The Spurs have shown they can win without him, but it would be easier, especilly in the defensive end, if he was playing.

Intruder
Old 03-13-2003, 03:52 PM   #19
ariosto

ariosto is on a distinguished road

<< [i]

<<

<<
>>

He's the Spurs starting center. He is a very important element of the spurs defense. And if you double, or even triple team duncan without the ball, like Nelly did last time, He would more than likely have a dunk fest. The Spurs have shown they can win without him, but it would be easier, especilly in the defensive end, if he was playing.

Intruder
>>

Spurs are 9-2 without D-Rob.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:35 PM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

the spurs don't appear to miss a beat without D-Rob

but i still think the mavs match up favorably..even morseso without him