man if we can get carter and kidd omg i will love it
Old 07-31-2004, 06:06 PM   #122
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Kidd to Dallas

Quote:
Originally posted by: Joey
It is a new surgery that is still fairly exploratory. That is the concern.
"please" Stop making "stuff" up to sound intelligent. Microfracture surgery has been around for 10 years. Kiid had a simple variety & should recovery satisfactorily in three months.

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 06:09 PM   #123
Joey

Joey will become famous soon enoughJoey will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: V
Quote:
Stop making shit up to sound intelligent. Microfracture surgery has been around for 10 years. Kiid had a simple variety & should recovery satisfactorily in three months.
Who is making anything up? If it has been around for 10 years or so, then why is it that only a handful of players have had it? They were talking about it on ESPNews a couple of weeks ago. C-Webb, Najera, and Mashburn all had the same surgery and it is fairly new. You show me where I am making anything up and I will totally agree with you. But I am not and you really need to watch your mouth. The profanity is completely uncalled for.
There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that his ship has sailed and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool. ~Big Fish
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 06:12 PM   #124
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Kidd to Dallas

Quote:
"what he brings to the court is better than anything we've currently got on the roster outside of Dirk. "
I don't think you'll get any argument on this point.....but that is not THE POINT. The point most seem to be making is that Kidd makes this team better than Carter....the discussion is, or should be, what makes the team better, not who IS BETTER. I agree with C that Vince is an amazing scorer and surely a top ten talent in this league when at the peak of his game....but Does Carter give this team decidedly better chance at a ring???.....I'm not so sure....Kidd seems to address all the needs....are there questions about Kidd...sure. Can the Mavs answer those questions before signing on the dotted line....I'd hope so.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 06:17 PM   #125
V
Golden Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: V
Quote:
Stop making shit up to sound intelligent. Microfracture surgery has been around for 10 years. Kiid had a simple variety & should recovery satisfactorily in three months.
Who is making anything up? If it has been around for 10 years or so, then why is it that only a handful of players have had it? They were talking about it on ESPNews a couple of weeks ago. C-Webb, Najera, and Mashburn all had the same surgery and it is fairly new. You show me where I am making anything up and I will totally agree with you. But I am not and you really need to watch your mouth. The profanity is completely uncalled for.
sorry... got a little carried away.

"Microfracture is a surgical technique that has been developed to treat chondral defects, which are damaged areas of articular cartilage of the knee. It is a common procedure used to treat patients with full thickness damage to the articular cartilage that goes all the way down to the bone.

This arthroscopic procedure was first introduced about 20 years ago as a treatment method that uses the body's own healing abilities and provides an enriched environment for tissue regeneration on the chondral surface."

Steadman Hawkins Clinic

Case Study from the clinic:

Call it coincidence, but it seems every time world-class athletes in need of a body repair visit Steadman-Hawkins – Bruce Smith, Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Phil Mahre, Steve Mahre, John Elway, Picabo Street, Greg Norman – they return to the playing field in better shape than when they were competing at even their highest level.

Witness Bode Miller. In 2000-2001, the soon-to-be ski racing phenom had already had one World Cup podium finish (giant slalom) and was primed for a big result at the combined downhill/slalom event in St. Anton, Austria. He was fourth in the slalom going into the downhill, but 30 seconds into the downhill course Bode hooked an edge at 80 miles an hour, careened off the course, and crashed into a fence. Result: a complete ACL tear of the left knee coupled with damage to the meniscus. Diagnosis: total ACL reconstruction, with an extended rehab period that such a surgery would require.

But something happened along the way. Dr. Steadman opted to use a revolutionary new procedure that he had developed. During Bode’s meniscus repair, he performed the “healing response.” This arthroscopic procedure involves making three to 10 small “microfracture” holes in the bone at the femoral origin of the injured ACL. The blood clot from the bleeding bone captures the injured end of the ACL and eventually reattaches the ligament back to the bone. The “healing response” has many advantages, including a much shorter recovery period and less cost, and because it is less invasive, the chances for osteoarthritis to set in later are greatly reduced.

Three weeks following his surgery, Bode was fully mobile and without need of a brace. Encouraged, Dr. Steadman suggested waiting another three weeks to determine whether the “healing response” would take. When the three weeks were up, the news was even more encouraging. “My ACL,” says Bode, “was re-growing entirely on its own.” By July, Bode was back on skis once again, training at Mt. Hood, Ore., and “feeling 100 percent, going right after it right away.” In the season’s first World Cub giant slalom in Solden, Austria, Bode finished a remarkable fifth – eight months after his surgery.

Bode’s new knee – and his determination to “go right after it” paid off big last season, with four World Cup victories, a second in the World Cup slalom standings, a fourth in the overall World Cup standings and two silver medals at the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics.

For most, those kinds of results would rank high in the memory bank. For the 25-year-old from Franconia, N.H., however, his most memorable moment was the day he made the U.S. Ski Team. Competing in the U.S. National Championships at Sugarloaf, Me., Bode came from 30th position in the slalom to capture third. “My family was there, all my classmates were there,” says Bode. “It was the greatest!”

When Bode isn’t on the course, he’s on the court. An all-state tennis player, he has been a coach and counselor at the family’s Tamarack Tennis Camp for years and, as this is written, is “just trying to relax and get the energy systems back up.”

“Tennis,” says Bode, “is a great mental exercise. It’s a longer event than ski racing and it helps you stay focused for a longer period of time.” But wait, there’s more. Golf, for example. A low- to mid-70’s shooter, Bode took up the game at 15 but didn’t “get serious” about golf until five years ago. “I really enjoy the game,” he says. “When I retire from ski racing, I’d like to play tournament golf—if I still have the competitive energy.”

Competitive energy isn’t something that Bode is likely to run out of anytime soon. The 2006 Winter Olympics are still ahead (“It’s a long way away, but I plan to be there”) and he’s already looking to compete in tournament tennis if he can bring in some major events locally (“It’s important for the kids to see their coaches compete”).

Besides, he always has the comfort of knowing that the staff at Steadman-Hawkins will be there to make sure the physical part is up to the energy part. “Dr. Steadman and his staff,” says Bode, “are the greatest—supportive and super friendly. It makes a nice environment to be in when you’re injured, bummed out and trying to keep your spirits up.”

The Steadman-Hawkins Sports Medicine Foundation is key to the medical breakthroughs that have brought athletes, like Bode Miller, back to their best. It provides the research environment in which important new procedures, like the “healing response”, are developed, nurtured, tracked and refined to promote top-of-the-game performance—for world-class competitors and weekend warriors alike.

-- Don Nelson
Old 07-31-2004, 06:40 PM   #126
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I'll gladly submit that all things considered (including the firesale currently going on in NJ), we're more likely to get THE deal out of the Nets for Kidd than we are to get THE deal out of the Raptors for Vince. Given that the more I hear about Kidd's injury the less severe it sounds, I'm very comfortable with that. If he'd agree to make that last year non-guaranteed, I'm ecstatic. With the shotblocking, young athleticism, and outside shooting the Mavs have the addition of a healthy Kidd would most likely make the Mavs co-favorites at the very least without any other moves. A trade that netted Carter by itself might not do as much, though I also don't think it's outside of the realm of possibility that as one of several moves it could be comparable short-term and preferrable long-term. Thing is, it's really impossible to say without looking at what the Mavs would actually have to give up to acquire either one and what other moves might be available to them.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:23 PM   #127
Joey

Joey will become famous soon enoughJoey will become famous soon enough

Quote:

sorry... got a little carried away.
It is okay. Thanks for the good information.
There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that his ship has sailed and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool. ~Big Fish
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 10:25 PM   #128
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

JOEY "The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that the Mavs are interested in trading for Vince Carter. Players being dangled by the Mavs include Christian Laettner, Jerry Stackhouse, Tony Delk and Tariq Abdul-Wahad. "

This set of players makes sense for KIDD or CARTER. The "Walk, JHo,#1" is nutso on every level. Now we send a 6M expiring contract not 14, and/or Stack not JHo, and they cart off TAWs sorry butt. Now the risk of those big deals is worth looking at.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 11:09 AM   #129
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Joey- just to put this issue to bed....microfracture surgery is neither new nor exploratory.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 11:13 AM   #130
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: Hitman
Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Why would Cuban want Kidd after having passed on Nash for less money?
Ummm, because Jason Kidd is the best point guard on planet earth, plays absolutely stellar defense and can average 35+ minutes a game in the regular season and 40+ minutes a game in the postseason.

He is the best in the business, and unless this team wants to waste the prime years of Dirk Nowitzki's career then they need to make this deal happen.

It must be nice to live in a state of mind where past performance and not future contribution cloud your judgement. Kidd is an enormous risk with a HORRIFIC contract. His injuries are well documented and he is no longer producing at the level he is known for. It is a terrible decision to think about it, much less try to make it happen. Thankfully, I am confident Cuban has a plan that does not include Jason Kidd or Mourning and his ailing body.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 12:07 PM   #131
V
Golden Member

"he is no longer producing at the level he is known for. "

What? This is ridiculous. Kidd was first team All-NBA last year.

-- Don Nelson
Old 08-01-2004, 12:48 PM   #132
poohrichardson

poohrichardson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: Hitman
Quote:
Why would Cuban want Kidd after having passed on Nash for less money?
Ummm, because Jason Kidd is the best point guard on planet earth, plays absolutely stellar defense and can average 35+ minutes a game in the regular season and 40+ minutes a game in the postseason.

He is the best in the business, and unless this team wants to waste the prime years of Dirk Nowitzki's career then they need to make this deal happen.

It must be nice to live in a state of mind where past performance and not future contribution cloud your judgement. Kidd is an enormous risk with a HORRIFIC contract. His injuries are well documented and he is no longer producing at the level he is known for. It is a terrible decision to think about it, much less try to make it happen. Thankfully, I am confident Cuban has a plan that does not include Jason Kidd or Mourning and his ailing body.

He's not producing at the level he is known for? What the hell are you smoking? The guy still blew every other point guard out of the water and as every year passes, it's becoming very evident that he is one of the top 5 point guards in the history of the game. He had a couple of rough games in the playoffs, but at the same time, he almost willed a Nets team that is getting worse every year to another Finals appearance, and had he not had the knee injury, I have to believe he would have done it. 'Troit was just too deep and too healthy for the hobbling Kidd and the shallow Nets to handle. I have not lost one single iota of respect or awe for Jason Kidd's game. Any time you can get a player as special as Jason obviously is, you have to do everything in your power (or in this case, anything but trade Nowitzki, who is also going to go down as an all-time great player) to get him on your team.

Why is everyone convinced that trading for Kidd would be the death knell/nail in the coffin for the Mavs? If we can dump Walker's salary and pick up Kidd without losing Stackhouse, this is still going to be a much better team than it was last year, and as good as the 02-03 team. How about a little good ol'fashioned optimism for a change?
poohrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 02:47 PM   #133
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

"How about a little good ol'fashioned optimism for a change?"

What is your idea of optimism? Wouldn't you also say that Not getting Jason Kidd would be optimistic? I mean I'm optimistc that Daniels will earn his money, Howard will be top 10 perimeter defenders, and Harris will be a star point guard. If we keep Stack, it just hurts the progress of Daniels and Howard. If we get Kidd, it will hurt the progress of Harris. If I'm a top 5 pick, I don't want to be a back-up for the next 4 years, at least. Maybe it's your idea of optimism to trade for Jason Kidd. I honestly think management's optimism lies with the young trio for the future. I'm not bashing Kidd, he's a great talent. I just don't agree that people should be more optimistic about obtaining him, when we have many things to be optimistic about if we don't.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 02:49 PM   #134
poohrichardson

poohrichardson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: DevinHarriswillstart
"How about a little good ol'fashioned optimism for a change?"

What is your idea of optimism? Wouldn't you also say that Not getting Jason Kidd would be optimistic? I mean I'm optimistc that Daniels will earn his money, Howard will be top 10 perimeter defenders, and Harris will be a star point guard. If we keep Stack, it just hurts the progress of Daniels and Howard. If we get Kidd, it will hurt the progress of Harris. If I'm a top 5 pick, I don't want to be a back-up for the next 4 years, at least. Maybe it's your idea of optimism to trade for Jason Kidd. I honestly think management's optimism lies with the young trio for the future. I'm not bashing Kidd, he's a great talent. I just don't agree that people should be more optimistic about obtaining him, when we have many things to be optimistic about if we don't.
I think all Mavs fans should want the best point guard in the league on their team if they have a shot at him...
poohrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 03:03 PM   #135
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Problem is, it's not as easy as that. Contract, Injury and Age are concerns that you just can't blow off like they were nothing. Webber, Van Exel.....they will probably never be the same players they once were because of Kness surgery. Webber and Kidd are about the same age too. Anyways, I'm not disagreeing about getting Kidd, but I'd say I'm just as much of an optimist if I believe in our young core.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 03:10 PM   #136
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

webber couldn't even WALK when he hurt his knee. very different injury...Kidd was able to play on it without missing a single game in the playoffs. bad comparison.

anyways, from what I heard, dallas has already put in an offer...but it hasn't gotten past that stage yet.