Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #121
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Strange, why is there no report of the injury? Shouldn't we put his knee before the W-L record at this point. I mean someone who's been limping around as bad as this, there has to be something, is brass failing to report something? It just seems ridiculous that he's actually out there now trying to play.
There have been plenty of reports on his knee. Dirk himself has been quoted multiple times talking about his knee bothering him.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #122
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Strange, why is there no report of the injury? Shouldn't we put his knee before the W-L record at this point. I mean someone who's been limping around as bad as this, there has to be something, is brass failing to report something? It just seems ridiculous that he's actually out there now trying to play.
There has been...they've mentioned how his knee has been hurt for weeks now. The thing is, there's (allegedly) no structural damage, and Dirk claims the knee is getting better. It just doesn't look that way.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #123
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
There have been plenty of reports on his knee. Dirk himself has been quoted multiple times talking about his knee bothering him.
Yea, but you hear the terms knee tendinitis, scar tissue, twisted knee, hyperextension, they have not even termed it at all. I'm guessing they're using Dirk's competitiveness to hide something serious. My thinking is that they don't want to hurt their chances with Deron Williams and Dwight Howard.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #124
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_o_r View Post
He is missing wide open jump shots. That is the most alarming concern. I can take him missing his patent one-legger or anything that requires him to drive. However, open jumpers is his version of a dunk.
That's basketball. It happens. Jet has had 2-3 games this year where he's had clean looks and he just flat out missed. You can't necessarily just jump on the "well, his knee is messed up" idea due to him missing those open shots.

Quote:
hopefully....your estimate of when that will be?
There's no real way to honestly guess. If someone tries to guess, it's just for the hell of it. All you can use is last year as a frame of reference. He needed a handful of games before the shooting percentages found their way back to a level that we're used to seeing.

The thing your eyes will point to is the attacking nature. When does he start attacking towards the rack on a consistent basis?
Old 02-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #125
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
That's basketball. It happens. Jet has had 2-3 games this year where he's had clean looks and he just flat out missed. You can't necessarily just jump on the "well, his knee is messed up" idea due to him missing those open shots.

There's no real way to honestly guess. If someone tries to guess, it's just for the hell of it. All you can use is last year as a frame of reference. He needed a handful of games before the shooting percentages found their way back to a level that we're used to seeing.

The thing your eyes will point to is the attacking nature. When does he start attacking towards the rack on a consistent basis?
Yea, probably when he uses it to set up the rest of his game. Right now he's just taking what the defense is giving, in hopes it helps the team. A few of those open 3's usually he'd throw in a show and go for the hoop and the harm.

He did have one late attack where he looked to the ref for a foul:

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maver...medium=twitter
Old 02-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #126
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2012/2/...pect-mavericks

Quote:
It's hard to measure whether some teams get more calls than others. You basically have to go through all the games and review all calls. Because nobody has time doing this we have to interpret the numbers we have. The overall assumption is that teams that average more field goal attempts at the rim / in the paint should generally shoot more free throws because their aggressiveness towards the rim will eventually get rewarded with shots at the line. Another approach is to look on how many free throws a team gets out of opponent fouls.

Last edited by j0Shi; 02-02-2012 at 06:57 PM.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #127
skakavac

skakavac has a spectacular aura aboutskakavac has a spectacular aura about

After rewatchinng the whole game is that okc doenst scare me a bit:
They won
with the help of the refs (so many bs calls),
with a dirk who cant hit right now and hurts us even more on defense because he moves so slow
with a bang up marion u came back after he injured his knee after a 20 second time-out (just wow)
without haywood, odom and kidd,
with carter and roddy bad shoting nights

If we will met OKC in the playoffs i will make huge bets on Dallas if Dirk is healthy because OKC basicly sucks against us when they arent in transition
skakavac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #128
ibivibiv

ibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by skakavac View Post
After rewatchinng the whole game is that okc doenst scare me a bit:
They won
with the help of the refs (so many bs calls),
with a dirk who cant hit right now and hurts us even more on defense because he moves so slow
with a bang up marion u came back after he injured his knee after a 20 second time-out (just wow)
without haywood, odom and kidd,
with carter and roddy bad shoting nights

If we will met OKC in the playoffs i will make huge bets on Dallas if Dirk is healthy because OKC basicly sucks against us when they arent in transition
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ibivibiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #129
ibivibiv

ibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really nice

I was honestly expecting things to be thrown on the court that officiating was so bad last night. But we almost overcame it. If Dirk was on the money, we would have taken those guys (including the BS officials). Well that is assuming they wouldn't have fouled Dirk out if he was hitting his shots LOL.
ibivibiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #130
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibivibiv View Post
I was honestly expecting things to be thrown on the court that officiating was so bad last night. But we almost overcame it. If Dirk was on the money, we would have taken those guys (including the BS officials). Well that is assuming they wouldn't have fouled Dirk out if he was hitting his shots LOL.
I don't think the officiating was bad, they had a bet on the Thunder. Donaghy!!! Where are you.

Yep, no doubt positives, we were tied with 2 minutes to go, the MVP was 2-15, NO fouls calls went our way. We have a tough crew that hung in there, playing the top team in the conference. Dirk goes 50% we win.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #131
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to whine about refs, but I really think a video of those non-calls and questionable calls from last night should be made. I would personally make one but I'm just really busy with some school work at the moment.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:05 AM   #132
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninkobei View Post
Can't blame the refs guys. Stop being such whiners. The Thunder are a damn good team, and our best player can't hit the broad side of a planet with 3 times the mass of jupiter.
Mark Cuban disagrees (as does anyone with working eyes).

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...73IhnKGje8vLYF
Old 02-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #133
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

The performance for the red stands for itself. I'm all for not blaming them entirely, but the verbiage of "good teams playing through/don't whine" is also more than pathetic. The league overprotects their refs by a standard unknown in other (mainly European) sports. There's no independent committee judging the refs, so I'm all with Cuban to speak up when it's necessary.

Sure the Mavs didn't lose the game because of the officiating. Could the outcome have changed with more balanced calls? Absolutely! No whining, no bitching, no sore losers. It's just objective to blame refs where blame is appropriate.

Last edited by j0Shi; 02-03-2012 at 08:34 AM.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #134
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

It cost Mark $75,000 to be a fan. He spoke the truth.......but the NBA isn't about truth, it is about $$$$$.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #135
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

With all the money he spends on fines...Just pay a team of people to view all the games and keep stats on refs... then present it weekly to the NBA office as well as a public forum to be viewed. Maybe try to go in with a few other owners to pay this outside group. Maybe it takes hold so in the future there are eyes watching the refs and repercussions for trends of blowing calls or what have ye. (If this is already taking place oops my bad... I just typed this for naught...and someone should have told me already.)

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #136
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

or..OR.. He could spend that money on a time machine and go back and maybe the call would be different, ya know?!

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #137
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
With all the money he spends on fines...Just pay a team of people to view all the games and keep stats on refs... then present it weekly to the NBA office as well as a public forum to be viewed. Maybe try to go in with a few other owners to pay this outside group. Maybe it takes hold so in the future there are eyes watching the refs and repercussions for trends of blowing calls or what have ye. (If this is already taking place oops my bad... I just typed this for naught...and someone should have told me already.)
I think Mark actually DOES do this (keeping stats on the refs). The thing is, Stern just doesn't give a shit. They have their own "internal review" which doesn't mean shit.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #138
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
I think Mark actually DOES do this (keeping stats on the refs). The thing is, Stern just doesn't give a shit. They have their own "internal review" which doesn't mean shit.
Exactly, Stern simply does not hold his refs accountable for anything. However, now that Mark has spoken his mind about the terrible reffing of late, I would prefer he goes back to being silent. My worst fear is that this team and fanbase gets put through an experience like the 2006 Finals again.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #139
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think Mark actually DOES do this (keeping stats on the refs).
He does.
People have been saying that it just so happens to be that he decides to berate the refs after they have a poor shooting night and they lose to a big team. The fact of the matter is he's been ripping the refs for at least a solid two weeks.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #140
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

I don't know, I think we have to start looking at the fouler, not the freaking refs, you make sure the refs aren't watching and a little elbow here and there. Because the crap Ibaka did on Dirk's cut, was ridiculous when compared to the 1st quarter And 1 by Westbrook, where VC never touched him. Or if I was VC, I'd take down Westbrook on a drive and stand over him, "now that's a foul."
Old 02-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #141
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
He does.
People have been saying that it just so happens to be that he decides to berate the refs after they have a poor shooting night and they lose to a big team. The fact of the matter is he's been ripping the refs for at least a solid two weeks.
Yeah, the officiating has been ridiculously egregious as of late. Tonight is was terrible as well. I'm sorry, but no other team in the league gets shafted on calls like these past 2 nights at home.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:55 PM   #142
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nor does he allow his customers to see it.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #143
redzwestisbest

redzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Nor does he allow his customers to see it.
Why did you give me negative rep for saying that Dirk hasn't offered much else beside jump shots in his slump (although in the game against the Cavs he had a nice drive against Jamison). You can't give a negative rep just because I criticize Dirk. Actually, your negative rep helps out my point even more. We can't critique Dirk on these boards without people getting openly affended.

Also, if I ever say that Dirk physically can't get to his spots, then this does not always mean I am questioning his effort, it just means he physically is not able to do what he wants.

I think there is no doubt in the last couple of games, Dirk's effort level has been about 150%.
redzwestisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #144
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzwestisbest View Post
Why did you give me negative rep for saying that Dirk hasn't offered much else beside jump shots in his slump (although in the game against the Cavs he had a nice drive against Jamison). You can't give a negative rep just because I criticize Dirk. Actually, your negative rep helps out my point even more. We can't critique Dirk on these boards without people getting openly affended.

Also, if I ever say that Dirk physically can't get to his spots, then this does not always mean I am questioning his effort, it just means he physically is not able to do what he wants.

I think there is no doubt in the last couple of games, Dirk's effort level has been about 150%.
Beats me, I can't even find your quote since you obscurely quoted me in response. Ask your question with the neg rep quote.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cad vs chum