Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 06-02-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Recommendations on Family Haulers?

Hey All,

As some of you already know, our family will be jumping from 3 members to 5 in November (twins on the way - I'm still in shock!). So that has put me in the market for a new vehicle, as our Passat won't even possibly fit 3 car seats.

Basically the only absolute requirement is that it has Captain's Chairs in the second row so our 3-year-old can get to the back easily, even with carseats in the 2nd row.

So that has left me with these options:

1) Big SUV (Suburban, Expedition, etc.) - i am not really considering these because of cost and low fuel economy.

2) Minivan - i know they have great features, but it's still a minivan.

3) Crossover (Ford Flex, GMC Acadia, Chevy Traverse, Buick Encalve) - There are other crossovers, but those are the only ones with captain's chairs, i believe.

I find myself leaning toward the crossover section. The Ford Flex in particular. The look is definitely a "love it or hate it" thing, i happen to really like it. Seems to have near the cargo room of a minivan when i drove it. Plus the Ford Microsoft Sync thing is nothing short of AWESOME.

Anyway, do any of you have any opinions on this subject? Any research you did in buying your vehicle?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

We moved from an Odyssey to a Murano this year. My wife and I love it, but there is less space. I never had an issue with minivans while we (well, my wife) drove them... the Honda Odyssey is a joy to drive. But the Murano not only is fun to drive it's funner to look at.

But the lack of space thing does take getting used to.

We went with the Murano because we liked the looks better. Honestly if you are getting a Traverse you might as well get a minivan because it looks like one to me. The Flex is not attractive to me, but I don't get the square car thing so maybe that's why. Have you seen the Nissan Cube? Oh man that thing is ugly. I like the looks of the Acadia, it has more of a SUV feel than the Traverse.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, U2.

I agree about the traverse, it does look minivan-y. The Acadia and the Enclave seem to have a better look.

yeah, the cube is WAY ugly. But the flex is different to me. remind me of a woody wagon, and i like the unique look (thus the "love it or hate it" thing). Flex does have a recessed cargo area like a minivan does. It truly feels like a minivan, just without the sliding doors. And the boxy feel (not tapered at the back) allows more room in the 3rd row.

Not to mention the Ecoboost option for the flex that gives it V8 power with V6 fuel economy... that blows away the competition. I'm thinking i would want something that could be fun to drive.

For minivans, i'll probably be looking at the Odyssey and the Toyota Sienna. A friend of ours just got the Sienna. The look has been updated, and Honda is updating their look in October.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Nice choice Big Boy !

GermanDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

We only have one and my wife is starting "SUV" and "mini-van" conversations with me....Ugh.

But you, BBL...you need it.

Now that Ford Flex...I'm definitely on the "hate it" side of that issue.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Ford Excursion Diesel.

Big enough, and semi descent mileage for a supertanker.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:44 PM   #7
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

well, after a lot of thought, it looks like it's going to have to be a mini-van. I really liked what the crossovers have to offer, and love the EcoBoost engine on the Flex, and the SYNC system...

But it's ultimately coming down to basically one thing - power sliding doors (well, extra cargo room is nice, too). With twin babies, it's just way way way way way more practical. Having the doors open for you while carrying two babies (probably in child carriers) is just too important.

So the frontrunners are the Toyota Sienna (just got an updated look) and the Honda Odyssey (due for a new look in September). So I will be tabling this until the new odyssey comes out. It actually looks kind of cool for a minivan.

http://automobiles.honda.com/odyssey-concept/

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 06-08-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, for a mini van it doesn't look half bad at all.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

With the Honda you will get more for the dollar also. Well, that was years ago.... when Toyota was real proud of themselves. That may not be so anymore.

But I loved our Odyssey.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #10
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Yeah, we love our Accord.

I will definitely give Honda a real good shot when it comes time to replace the next car.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:02 AM   #11
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
well, after a lot of thought, it looks like it's going to have to be a mini-van.
well that was fast. Good luck in whichever way you choose.

Last edited by MavsX; 06-09-2010 at 06:02 AM.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:41 AM   #12
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX View Post
well that was fast. Good luck in whichever way you choose.
Ha ha, yeah, about a week. But when purchasing something big, I have a little OCD kick in, and I research and research and research. Like all the time. It's actually kind of a relief that the new Honda is coming out in a few months. I can force myself to push the rest of the research back until then.