Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-16-2003, 08:33 PM   #1
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough
Default Troy Hambrick...future fullback???

From DallasCowboys.com.

Swirling around in that head of Parcells is the future possibility (not this year) of Troy Hambrick becoming one of those old-school fullbacks, you know like Larry Csnoka, Franco Harris, Robert Newhouse, Jimmy Taylor. Parcells seems infatuated with the idea of his fullback being as much a runner as he is a blocker.

Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2003, 08:37 PM   #2
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Troy Hambrick...future fullback???

I don't think Troy would like that, but Parcells did say that Troy is the best blocking back he's had besided Maurice Carthon. I'd like a more explosive hb. Being that they went after Ken Barlow, I think the Cowboys agree. T-Ham runs hard and doesn't fumble, but he has horrible vision.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:40 PM   #3
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Troy Hambrick...future fullback???

Be patient with T-Ham. He can still improve...BTW, so what if he doesn't like the fb position, he can always leave!
Old 10-16-2003, 08:43 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it is a great idea. I've been saying for a long time that the man can hit and have been praising his athletic talents. The problem is that he sometimes tries to be Barry Sanders or somesuch and he is not physically capable of being that. He could be an average plus running back in the NFL or an outstanding fullback possibly. If we can get it into his head that being a Moose Johnson is as cool as being an Emmitt Smith, then Parcells may make an easy sale. The problem may be that Emmitt Smiths get more money than Moose Johnsons. Still, if you can convince him it is a good idea....I think it's a great idea.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 08:50 PM   #5
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I like the idea of it also. For a fullback he would be a fine running threat. He wasn't a great run blocker, but Ok last year when put in that position. I've been most impressed with his pass blocking this year. I would day he has saved Carter from 3-4 sacks by just sticking someone who came through the line unimpeded

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 08:52 PM   #6
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
I think it is a great idea. I've been saying for a long time that the man can hit and have been praising his athletic talents. The problem is that he sometimes tries to be Barry Sanders or somesuch and he is not physically capable of being that. He could be an average plus running back in the NFL or an outstanding fullback possibly. If we can get it into his head that being a Moose Johnson is as cool as being an Emmitt Smith, then Parcells may make an easy sale. The problem may be that Emmitt Smiths get more money than Moose Johnsons. Still, if you can convince him it is a good idea....I think it's a great idea.

Maybe you can convince Troy to be a Mike Alstott type player. Alstott goes to the pro bowl every year mainly for his running ability rather than his blocking abilities. BTW I think Alstott is overrated. I think Parcells will always use the fb as a running option, so I think the fb will continue to get carries. It may be a role that is best for Hambrick.

It makes you wonder what the future of Jamar Martin is. Parcells said it was 50/50 of him making the roster this year. Martin is a devastating blocker in the mold of Moose, but I think Parcells prefers players who are more versatile and better runners at the fb position. Personally, I have always liked Martin back to his days at Ohio State.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 09:11 PM   #7
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

I guess but I remember when they had him in the backfield together with Emmit Smith and it Didn't work out very well. I think hed be more like Mike Alstott a bruising back good for goal line situations. Note if he were to be on his current pace he would have 1,104 yards rushing not too shabby.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote