Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Sneakers for only $15? Now, that's a big assist

Sneakers for only $15? Now, that's a big assist

Q&A | STEPHON MARBURY

By JOE GARZA
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

Stephon Marbury says his Starbury sneakers, shown in inset, are just as good as hundred dollar shoes, but cost only $14.98.

New York Knicks point guard Stephon Marbury made waves in August 2006 with the release of his first line of Starbury basketball shoes, which retailed for $14.98. The line was such a success that the two-time All-Star is back with a new line of Starbury sneakers, which was released Monday and is available at Steve & Barry's department stores (located in The Parks at Arlington and Grapevine Mills malls). The shoes, which Marbury wears during games and Chicago Bulls All-Star center Ben Wallace endorses, are still $14.98. Marbury, 30, took some time recently to answer a few questions about the sneaker world and life in the NBA.

Are your shoes getting support from other players? A lot of the players think it's cool what I'm doing. They grew up like me, in a family without a lot of money, so they know what it's like to want the latest sneakers and have your parents say you can't have them until your birthday.

Did you wear and test a lot of the shoe prototypes to get a fit and feel you liked? I was involved in every aspect of the design of the shoe, from how it looks to how it should be built to give me the performance I need on the court. I worked on the design of the shoes with a firm called Rocketfish, which was founded by a couple of guys who used to work at Nike and now design shoes for all the big companies. They listen to everything I have to say about the look of the shoes and what I need them to do for me on the court as far as quality.

What's the biggest change you've noticed in players since you've come into the league? How are rookies different? Not a lot has changed, to be honest with you. Rookies still carry the bags to the bus.

What accomplishments on the court are you most proud of? I think I've grown as a player and as a man every year in the league. This year, [the Knicks] came into the season with a lot of questions about us, but we knew we had great talent, and I'm proud to help play a leadership role in helping improve the team. [The Knicks are battling for a playoff spot in the East.]

For more information on the Starbury line of shoes, visit starbury.com.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote