Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: Should The Mavs Re-Sign Delonte West?
Yes 60 93.75%
No 4 6.25%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
ibivibiv

ibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really nice
Default Should the Mavs Re-Sign Delonte West

Full disclosure I am a HUGE Delonte fan because of his hard nosed play and team loyalty to the Mavs. Personally I'd like to see them offload Roddy/Dojo to keep Delonte. SIGN THE GUY ALREADY!!!!!! Thoughts?

Last edited by ibivibiv; 07-23-2012 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling!!!
ibivibiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Makes sense, knowing that Cunningham and Jones, possibly Boobs are the other options at the point. Problem is we have 14 signed up. Latest rumors have us in on Joel Pryzbilla, along with Blazers and Bucks. If Mavs get him, barring a trade of one of the young guards, can't see us signing West.

PG Collison, Jones, Cunningham
SG Mayo, Jones, Boobs
C Kaman, Wright, Bernard James
PF Dirk, Brand
SF Marion, Carter, Crowder
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
sbibi

sbibi is a jewel in the roughsbibi is a jewel in the roughsbibi is a jewel in the roughsbibi is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Makes sense, knowing that Cunningham and Jones, possibly Boobs are the other options at the point. Problem is we have 14 signed up. Latest rumors have us in on Joel Pryzbilla, along with Blazers and Bucks. If Mavs get him, barring a trade of one of the young guards, can't see us signing West.

PG Collison, Jones, Cunningham
SG Mayo, Jones, Boobs
C Kaman, Wright, Bernard James
PF Dirk, Brand
SF Marion, Carter, Crowder
Though Pryzbilla isn't as solid as he once was, I would take him over Delonte at this point simply for the reason that our starting center is made of glass and that we can use a backup big like him.
sbibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Why Przybilla? I don't understand why you'd rather have him than West? West is a guy that can easily get 18-20+ minutes on this team.. Przybilla wouldn't see the court on many nights. I like his toughness.. But he'd be behind Kaman and Brand. The Mavs need a backup guard without a doubt.. If not West, then someone else that can play the 1/2.

Last edited by Murphy3; 07-23-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
jamaljasonandjimmy

jamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of light

i say yes and no

pass the rock to the german moses
jamaljasonandjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Delonte West:
58 Playoff games
1648 playoff minutes

Collison&Roddy&Mayo combined:
32 games
919 minutes

Yes we need West
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
sbibi

sbibi is a jewel in the roughsbibi is a jewel in the roughsbibi is a jewel in the roughsbibi is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Why Przybilla? I don't understand why you'd rather have him than West? West is a guy that can easily get 18-20+ minutes on this team.. Przybilla wouldn't see the court on many nights. I like his toughness.. But he'd be behind Kaman and Brand. The Mavs need a backup guard without a doubt.. If not West, then someone else that can play the 1/2.
What would you do if Kaman, God forbid, was to go down? Would you rather have Wright/Brand starting? I would think a security blanket is more feasible at the moment. Can you can name a decent backup center that we can pick up for cheap?

Last edited by sbibi; 07-23-2012 at 05:11 PM.
sbibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
jamaljasonandjimmy

jamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbibi View Post
What would you do if Kaman, God forbid, was to go down? Would you rather have Wright/Brand starting? I would think a security blanket is more feasible at the moment. Can you can name a decent backup center that we can pick up for cheap?
im thinking we got too many guards

Old 07-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
He15man

He15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to all

I would keep West if we can't get a better guard.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

I like West..loved him when he was at St. Joe's with Jameer, but I just don't understand the love affair as "must keep" player. He is the least of the teams need seeing as though they need another center and a pass first PG on this team.He worked much better with Kidd than w/o.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #11
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_o_r View Post
I like West..loved him when he was at St. Joe's with Jameer, but I just don't understand the love affair as "must keep" player. He is the least of the teams need seeing as though they need another center and a pass first PG on this team.He worked much better with Kidd than w/o.
If you read his Twitter feed, you'd understand.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #12
jamaljasonandjimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_o_r View Post
they just loved the west willy thats all

Old 07-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #13
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

No, simply because he would take away minutes from Roddy, who still has potential. It's not like Delonte is going to put us over the hump next season. If Roddy develops, it's great for the Mavs, because they either have a very good young player, or they have a good trade chip, something that could be great next summer.
Budapest Maverick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #14
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go either way at this point. Good locker room guy, hard worker, and good defender. Just not sure if the minutes are there anymore. I really don't see him getting anywhere near the minutes he got last season.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #15
Pirate

Pirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
No, simply because he would take away minutes from Roddy, who still has potential.
After three seasons, it makes no sense to build a crappy roster at guard so Roddy can be given minutes. If he can't put on his big boy panties and earn playing time, it's time to move on to someone who can play at an NBA level and make a contribution.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #16
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

So what I'm gathering is West is a luxury and Pryzbilla is a security blanket.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #17
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I like Pryzbilla and all, I just dont see why we need more than 4-5 guys in the center rotation

Kaman/Brand/Wright/James/Dirk (in short spells) seems perfectly adequate to me. Two competent, starting-caliber players, a quality backup and a developing rookie. It light years better than we had last year with Haywood/Mahinmi/Wright.

Kaman/Brand/Wright/James/Dirk
Dirk/Marion/Brand
Carter/Marion/Da Jones/Crowder
Mayo/Da Jones/Do Jones
Collison/Roddy/Cunningham

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-23-2012 at 07:17 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #18
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I like Pryzbilla and all, I just dont see why we need more than 4-5 guys in the center rotation

Kaman/Brand/Wright/James/Dirk (in short spells) seems perfectly adequate to me. Two competent, starting-caliber players, a quality backup and a developing rookie. It light years better than we had last year with Haywood/Mahinmi/Wright.

Kaman/Brand/Wright/James/Dirk
Dirk/Marion/Brand
Carter/Marion/Da Jones/Crowder
Mayo/Da Jones/Do Jones
Collison/Roddy/Cunningham
It's a question of how the team views James. If they think he's capable of contributing, then I think you're correct. But if they think he's too raw to really play meaningful minutes this year (which is likely), then you absolutely have a need for an additional true center, as Brand and Wright are both PF's that will be outsized in some matchups.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
It's a question of how the team views James. If they think he's capable of contributing, then I think you're correct. But if they think he's too raw to really play meaningful minutes this year (which is likely), then you absolutely have a need for an additional true center, as Brand and Wright are both PF's that will be outsized in some matchups.
I don't think it even matters. West is more valuable to the team than Przybilla would be. You're 1 deep at each guard spot with a bunch of unknowns... That's not good enough.

Last edited by Murphy3; 07-23-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #20
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I don't think it even matters. West is more valuable to the team than Przybilla would be. You're 1 deep at each guard spot with a bunch of unknowns... That's not good enough.
If I'm correct, and Pryzbilla (or another center of his ilk) means that James doesn't get a roster slot, then there's no reason you can't have Pryzbilla and West, if the Mavs want.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 07-23-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #21
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Haywood/mahinmi/wright was plenty deep last year.
Kaman/brand/wright/(james) would actually be preferable to prysbilla. There would be so few minutes that pryzbilla may not be happy warming the bench as a 3rd/4th stringer. James is a rookie- he'd be happy to get 3-5mpg. If it was between James and pryzbilla, I'd probably still choose James. Things go well and he'd be happy to wave a towel. If we need him he can play 25-30 min.

As for west, he's a rare breed of guy that will contribute in whatever minutes he's given and he always plays with great motor. We only have one semi-guaranteed commodities at the two guard spots.

If Collison went down, id be terrified of depending on roddy and Cunningham for 48min. I'd be content with Brand/Wright/James or Kaman/Wright/James. Wright contributed 16 quality mpg and Kaman and brand can both play starter minutes (30mpg each last year and could probably each do 40 in a more spread out season)

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-23-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #22
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
If I'm correct, and Pryzbilla (or another center of his ilk) means that James doesn't get a roster slot, then there's no reason you can't have Pryzbilla and West, if the Mavs want.
Oh, I know. I'm only commenting on those that would rather have Przybilla instead of West.. if you had to choose.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #23
roadrunner
Golden Member

roadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to behold

I really think the backup PG position is where we need to focus on at this point. I would put it slightly ahead of the other options, such as another C, shooter, and backup SF. I think it would need to be a veteran who could adequately run the team in case Collison doesnt work out. Whether that is West or another vet maybe thru a trade I don't have too much preference. Even though I think there is a better chance Collison works out than not we still have alot of unknowns at the PG position behind him and that is risky.

As for the other options, others have mentioned C as a bigger need. Yes, Caveman is fragile, but there is still another great option in Brand. Some may disagree, but I see Brand as a legit C who can man that position full time and it wouldn't surprise me if he is closing games or even starting with a healthy Caveman. I would also feel comfortable with a Wright/James as temp backups if Caveman gets hurt.

I would put backup SF on par with signing another C. I think we need to consider scaling back some of Marions minutes this year just a tad. He had some knee issues last year that caused him to miss some games and dont want him to break down because he is our only real option at the 3. Im really not a big fan of seeing Carter at the 3, even in a backup role. I would rather see Crowder, but as much as I like him he is still a rookie. Im not saying I don't think he can break out as a backup this year. I just think it would be prudent to have a more proven commodity there.

As for the 3 point specialist, we have several that can shoot 35% or above, so I think this is an area that can wait to see how things shake out. The way this team is built I tend to think that there is a good chance enough will step up and fill this void. Maybe Carter could be that guy as a 2 guard. If it doesn't, maybe the Mavs FO works a trade or signs one off the street as what happened with Peja in 2011.

All of this being said, whats important is what the Mavs FO has deemed as priority. It will be interesting to see what they do.
We ran like a simple play, and usually the ball doesn’t come get me until later. So I just trotted through the play and I looked to the ball, and it was already right there in my face. … He sees the floor so well and sometimes he throws the ball and we don’t see it. He’s liable to really throw anything.” Dirk

Kidd to Dirk is the present day Stockton to Malone.

Last edited by roadrunner; 07-23-2012 at 09:26 PM.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #24
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I think you choose to keep two of the following: Roddy, DoJo, Dahntay. The odd man out gets you another big through a trade or SnT. Sign Delonte and go to war. For me, the acquisition of Mayo makes one of that group expendable. Especially if you think Cunningham is going to get some PT. I personally believe the odd man out is DoJo, but I didn't see his summer league performance so memories of last season still burn in my brain.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #25
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Haywood/mahinmi/wright was plenty deep last year.
Kaman/brand/wright/(james) would actually be preferable to prysbilla. There would be so few minutes that pryzbilla may not be happy warming the bench as a 3rd/4th stringer. James is a rookie- he'd be happy to get 3-5mpg. If it was between James and pryzbilla, I'd probably still choose James. Things go well and he'd be happy to wave a towel. If we need him he can play 25-30 min.
This strikes me as a huge assumption. He's a second round pick. Second round picks are about a 50/50 shot to even make a roster, much less be asked to contribute in their rookie season.

If the Mavs think he's a lock to contribute this season, then this isn't even a question. But I really doubt they that.

As to the rest of the post..again..you don't have to choose. You can have another center AND Delonte if you want.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #26
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

SF, to me, is very low on the priority list. If the Mavs didn't view carter as a perfectly viable SF then he wouldn't be on the roster, imo. And while I definitely cringe at penciling second round rookies onto depth charts, Crowder certainly seems like a good emergency SF at the very least.

We should also remember that Dahntay Jones played plenty of SF in Indy and is probably capable of doing that here under certain scenarios.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #27
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
This strikes me as a huge assumption. He's a second round pick. Second round picks are about a 50/50 shot to even make a roster, much less be asked to contribute in their rookie season.

If the Mavs think he's a lock to contribute this season, then this isn't even a question. But I really doubt they that.

As to the rest of the post..again..you don't have to choose. You can have another center AND Delonte if you want.
I edited it on an iphone. I meant that West could give you a quality 25-30. I wouldnt depend on James yet.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #28
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go with James for this simple reason: even though he is 27, he has potential. The Vanilla Gorilla was a player I would have liked the Mavs to have gotten about 3 years ago. But his legs are shot and at this point in his career he brings not much. James may not bring much either but bigs take awhile to blossom (Ian being a perfect example)... and I'd rather take the chance on James.

Btw, glad the Mavs passed on Fab Melo. James in Summer League ran circles around him. Literally.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #29
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
I'd go with James for this simple reason: even though he is 27, he has potential. The Vanilla Gorilla was a player I would have liked the Mavs to have gotten about 3 years ago. But his legs are shot and at this point in his career he brings not much. James may not bring much either but bigs take awhile to blossom (Ian being a perfect example)... and I'd rather take the chance on James.

Btw, glad the Mavs passed on Fab Melo. James in Summer League ran circles around him. Literally.
It's not like you lose James if you let him play a season in Europe, though. "Bigs take time to develop" seems like an argument for signing a veteran and giving James a year of seasoning.

The flip side is that he's 27, so you can't let him season too long.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #30
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's not like you lose James if you let him play a season in Europe, though. "Bigs take time to develop" seems like an argument for signing a veteran and giving James a year of seasoning.

Well technically he is a seasoned veteran...

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #31
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
t's not like you lose James if you let him play a season in Europe, though. "Bigs take time to develop" seems like an argument for signing a veteran and giving James a year of seasoning.

And I'm one of those people that feel players gain more "experience" while being on the team than in D-League or some European league. The NBA is by far the fastest league in the world. It has the best athletes. There are a few nuances that Europe can teach a player. But the only way that a player will adjust to the NBA is to be immersed in it. If that means being stuck on the bench? That player will still get to compete in practice against other NBA players. He will get instruction from the coaching staff for the team he plays for. And he gets to see it first hand.

I am not talking about players that were already great and were stashed a la Splitter/Manu/Scola.... how many that were stashed away ever became anything? I don't even know a single Maverick that the Mavs have brought over here when they have stashed much less them becoming good.

Last edited by Bayliss; 07-23-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:29 AM   #32
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
And I'm one of those people that feel players gain more "experience" while being on the team than in D-League or some European league. The NBA is by far the fastest league in the world. It has the best athletes. There are a few nuances that Europe can teach a player. But the only way that a player will adjust to the NBA is to be immersed in it. If that means being stuck on the bench? That player will still get to compete in practice against other NBA players. He will get instruction from the coaching staff for the team he plays for. And he gets to see it first hand.

I am not talking about players that were already great and were stashed a la Splitter/Manu/Scola.... how many that were stashed away ever became anything? I don't even know a single Maverick that the Mavs have brought over here when they have stashed much less them becoming good.
Ricky Rubio says Hi. Gerald Green became a different player starting in the Dleague/playing in Europe instead of not knowing when he was going to play in the NBA. Basketball is basketball no matter where it is played. A good player will adjust to the speed/physicality at which the game is played in time. Draft picks have been doing that every year. As long as you are playing and not sitting on a bench, you will get better.

In the immortal words of Iverson, "We talking about practice". You ever watch them practice. Some guys are over in a corner playing a game of horse. Some are in the corner practicing there free throws or jumpshot. Some are getting one on one lessons from a coach. Then there is a 30 minute/hr scrimmage where half the guys don't give a damn. Practice builds comradery amongst teammates but is sure hell isn't going to teach you the nuances of the game. You learn that in competitive matches.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #33
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Still only two guys voted no ? ...me and....
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #34
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

The only real issue is the fact that the team is stock full of combo guards. If I was worried about back-up pg and didn't trust Roddy, then I'd probably try to find a more "pure" pass first pg if you could. Not easy to find.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #35
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to have him back, question is how many minutes can he get?
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #36
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
Still only two guys voted no ? ...me and....
Me, but i understand why everybody voted yes, West was all right last year, and he said the right things. I just think developing Roddy could still benefit the Mavs big time. West is what it is, if we would be one backup point away from being the favorites, i would want him back, but that's obviously not the case.
Budapest Maverick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #37
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_y4F...e_gdata_player
MavsFTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #38
dallasmavsnews

dallasmavsnews is on a distinguished road

I think we sort of NEED west.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #39
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Lakers jump in on the West rumor list.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #40
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

EDIT: Wrong thread

Last edited by iella; 07-24-2012 at 05:20 PM.
iella is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
want wet willie