Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 02-15-2005, 04:57 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chad Ford and ESPN on Finley swap

I was just listening to ESPN radio and they had Chad Ford on (I think it was him) who was talking about trades that might happen. He completely lost me at Mike Finley for Latrell Sprewell.

Although it does work via the CBA, there is no way in heck that that trade would go down.

Has anyone else heard any other doozies?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2005, 05:23 PM   #2
bo319

bo319 is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Chad Ford and ESPN on Finley swap

That one WOULD allow us to get younger and cheaper. Spree is in the last year of his deal where as Fin's deal just goes on and on. That being said and since it aint my money...I would rather keep Fin.
bo319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 05:33 PM   #3
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: bo319
That one WOULD allow us to get younger and cheaper. Spree is in the last year of his deal where as Fin's deal just goes on and on. That being said and since it aint my money...I would rather keep Fin.
Even if we lost Fin's salary we would still be over the cap and that's not factoring in that in '06 we are going to have to resign Josh Howard.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 05:57 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Default RE: Chad Ford and ESPN on Finley swap

I think this is a case of Ford pulling one out of his heiny and hoping it would take roots. I cannot imagine Cuban shipping Finley out, even for the financial relief.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:00 PM   #5
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

lets say finley goes through this slump on and off for the reast of the season, by then cuban would have to ship him out in the offseason for sure. I just dont see anything happening with him right now.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:11 PM   #6
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

If there is a coach in the NBA who can coach this idiot it is Nellie. Those two were very successful together for a short while. Unfortunately for Spree, he has tanked on the T-Wolves and who knows if that jump shot will ever come back. Why would the Mavs do this deal? Fin is a different style of player than the other swingmen on this team. Daniels, Howard and Stack are all slashers and weak jump shooters just like Spree is. Fin is a great shooter (when he's on) and looks like he is going to rebound and play D from here on out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 08:56 PM   #7
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

Ford has said online that Cuban isnt trading Finley for anyone.

But Finley for Spree makes some sense from both ends. It allows the Twolves to move Spree and get some talent. It allows the Mavs to move Fin (in essence erase his contract) if they feel he is slipping in talent and/or leadership to the extent they need to be rid of him. In the short-term Spree replaces Fin, but in the longterm it opens up the SF/SG for a Howard/Daniels pair, with Stack as the 6th man. The contract savings doesnt get them under the cap, but it still saves them about 100M over 3 years (counting tax) which is quite relevant.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:25 PM   #8
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

trade section?

not gonna happen....though if the goal is to see Quis become the starter sooner rather than later......

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 10:36 PM   #9
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Would the Mavs deal with a rival?
Old 02-15-2005, 11:07 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Ford has said online that Cuban isnt trading Finley for anyone.
Apparently he (Ford) has changed his mind PE.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:15 AM   #11
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

My head tells me this is an intriguing possibility. But please Lord, don't make me root for Latrell Spreewell

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 09:19 AM   #12
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

When people were wondering where Sprewell was going to wind up originally after the choking incident, I vaguely recall the Don Nelson expressing some mild interest and speaking highly of Sprewell.

It isn't that bad a trade in concept. We lose Finley's salary and move Howard, Daniels or Stack into the permanent 2-spot.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 10:39 AM   #13
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

of all the trades for Finley, Sprewell makes the least sense.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:57 PM   #14
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

DrBio, NOTHING has changed with Chad Ford.

In print - he speculated all day long about Finley getting traded. Then he said "Oh, by the way, the Mavs likely arent doing anything. I asked Cuban and he said the Mavs have absolutely no interest in any trade for Finley."

Then he goes back to speculating about trades for Finley.

Classic Chad Ford tripe. His speculation is never deterred by reality or rationality.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 05:44 PM   #15
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I saw David Lord engaging in the same speculation at db.com. I can't recall whether he commented on the likelihood of such a deal occurring or whether he simply went over the pros and cons of such a deal. He also talked about the possibility of Finley for Jalen Rose.

Either way, it's all a bunch of nonsense. Finley isn't going to be traded for a salary dump (Sprewell), nor is he going to be traded for a guy with a slightly shorter contract (Rose), just so the Mavs can get rid of him. Finley is a contributor to this team, and it appears that all he needed to get his game back on track was a good butt-chewing from Nellie. Mike isn't going anywhere.

Old 02-17-2005, 07:54 PM   #16
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Spree is a nellie guy. Fin has been pouting this year about not enough shots. Stackhouse is a more complete player then Finley.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 09:39 AM   #17
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
Spree is a nellie guy. Fin has been pouting this year about not enough shots. Stackhouse is a more complete player then Finley.
Finley hasnt been pouting at all. We need Finley becasue he is the only swingman we have who can consistantly hit the three. Also, we would have somewhat of an identity crisis if we delt Finley for Spreewell. I know that Cuban would never do this deal, but I cant bekieve that people on this board would. Spreewell is the scum of this leage. We dont need him coming in here and dememnding to get risigned or anything like that. This guy has spit on fans and choked a coach. I have no interest in a low-life like him.

It would be a sad day in mavericks history if we traded Michael finley, a classy guy who was the cornerstone of this franchise for so long, for a piece of $H!T like spreewell.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 12:19 PM   #18
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

it is silly for anyone to speculate on who has been or "hasnt been" pouting....unless you have links or insight of some kind...it is worthless

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 02-19-2005, 02:25 PM   #19
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you are Santa!
Old 02-19-2005, 02:46 PM   #20
sike
The Preacha

he does not have to speculate.....he "KNOWS" if you've been bad or good.....so be good for goodness sake!

Old 02-20-2005, 01:33 AM   #21
finman11

finman11 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Quote:
Even if we lost Fin's salary we would still be over the cap and that's not factoring in that in '06 we are going to have to resign Josh Howard.
i dont really comprehend the ligistics for our cap and all i want to know is will we be able to resign him in 06... does anyone who what we can do to make sure we can resign him
finman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:37 PM   #22
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

I made a list of players I do not want to see in mavs jersey and sprewell is on the top 5 on that list.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:51 PM   #23
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
I made a list of players I do not want to see in mavs jersey and sprewell is on the top 5 on that list.
An Antoine Walker for Finley trade works straight up, and Walker is a free agent after ths year which means the Mavs may finally get the cap room they've always wanted. And besides, Walker has already played with Nelson, so he might be a better fit here than Finley.

[img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2005, 11:40 PM   #24
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

do we really want mightytoine back here at d-m?
Old 02-21-2005, 12:31 AM   #25
sike
The Preacha

so many laughs...so many headaches....

Old 02-21-2005, 02:17 AM   #26
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: finman11
Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Quote:
i dont really comprehend the ligistics for our cap and all i want to know is will we be able to resign him in 06... does anyone who what we can do to make sure we can resign him

Josh's contract runs out after 3 year so I believe we can sign him for as much as we want. The only way we can lose Josh is if he no longer wants to be a Mav.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 02:42 AM   #27
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

we will not be limited to the MLE in re-signing Howard.