Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-25-2004, 11:36 PM   #1
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all
Default 3 of the 6 WORST players in NBA are MAVS!

Quote:
The 25 Worst NBA Players
From Brendan McGovern,
Your Guide to Basketball.
FREE Newsletter. Sign up now!

Aug 25 2004

Haulin' and Callin' Out the NBA's Trash

It's obvious that USA Basketball didn't send its best 12 to the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens, but thank God they didn't send the worst! The 25 names listed below (not all American -- that should put some pride back in our system) may elicit a wide range of emotions ... shock, disgust, outright loathing, etc... To guide you through the pain, we've attached our patented snide commentary to help you verbalize some of your feelings. And now the very worst of what the NBA has to offer:
(Disclaimer: All Bobcats were protected from this list and big, goofy white guys are all spoken for under Eschmeyer)

1. Evan Eschmeyer, C, Dallas -- The standard bearer for today's legion of big white stiffs in the NBA

2. Michael Stewart, C, Boston -- 'Yogi' is only slightly more threatening on the court than the cartoon bear

3. Wang ZhiZhi, C, Miami -- Even the Chinese government has disowned him

4. Dan Dickau, PG, Dallas -- Testament that some teams do all their scouting at the NCAA Tournament

5. Jerome Moiso, PF, Toronto -- Carrying on the proud French NBA tradition started by Frederic Weis and No. 6 on our list...

6. Tariq Abdul-Wahad, SG, Dallas -- We liked him better as Olivier St. Jean

7. Jerome James, C, Seattle -- Fulfilling the wasted on-court comedic promise of Chris Washburn

8. Steven Hunter, C, Phoenix -- A harsh reminder to any GM who mistakingly falls in love with an unknown player at the NBA pre-Draft camps

9. Ryan Humphrey, SF, Memphis -- More myth than baller, Humphrey has never actually been seen playing in a real game

10. Tom Gugliotta, PF, Boston -- Former All-Star scored in double figures once last season ... the preseason, that is

11. Kedrick Brown, SG, Philadelphia -- Interesting how many guys on this list either play for or were drafted by the Celtics

12. Reece Gaines, PG, Houston -- On a team crying out for point guard help, the No. 1 pick Gaines got into only 38 games

13. Marcus Haislip, PF, Milwaukee -- And speaking of first-round bombs, Haislip notched a team-low 8.5 minutes per game

14. DeSagana Diop, C, Cleveland -- We've taken to calling him 'Saggy' and a more fitting nickname in the League we don't know of

15. DeShawn Stevenson, SG, Orlando -- Don't shooting guards have to be able to shoot? 78 starts last season and only 19 3-Pointers made?

16. Kareem Rush, SG, Lakers -- Averaged 0.8 assists and 1.3 rebounds ... you gotta score more than 6.4 points to get away with that

17. Ira Newble, SF, Cleveland -- The patron saint of crap players getting big contracts after big years with crap teams

18. Ron Mercer, SG, New Jersey -- No team would even waste a chance on the former No. 6 pick after he got dumped by San Antonio mid-season

19. Samaki Walker, PF, Washington -- Entering the twilight years of a pitiful career -- with a name like that, how could he have failed?

20. Dajuan Wagner, SG, Cleveland -- Too bad a shooter to play SG, too bad a passer to play PG and too small to play in the NBA -- sounds like a winner!

21. Tyronn Lue, PG, Houston -- Milked his 15 minutes of fame in the 2001 NBA Finals for a big contract

22. Morris Peterson, SF, Toronto -- To think New Orleans took this clown off Toronto's hands and the Raptors matched the contract offer!

23. Dikembe Mutombo, C, Chicago -- Rigor Mortis has set in for Deke, can't wait for him to completely calcify under the basket on some February night

24. Jacque Vaughn, PG, New Jersey -- Can't wait for the night when the Nets trot out a starting backcourt of Vaughn and Mercer in front of 11 comotose fans in the Swamp

25. Juwan Howard, PF, Houston -- The burden of carrying his garish contract sucked the life out of Howard's game long ago

Next Five Bringing Up the Rear:
Michael Olowokandi, C, Minnesota
Jake Tsakalidis, C, Memphis
Eddie Robinson, SF, Chicago
Shandon Anderson, SG, New York
Vladimir Radmanovic, SF, Seattle

Five for the Future:
Kendrick Perkins, PF, Boston
Ndudi Ebi, SF, Minnesota
Travis Outlaw, SF, Portland
Pavel Podkolzine, C, Dallas
Brian Cook, PF, Lakers
Obviously this is very subjective, but I tend to agree with his Esch and Tariq picks. I doubt that all three will be on the roster to start the season. But the Mavs temporarily have cornered the market on the NBA's worst contracts. But if you want to get deals done, you sometimes have to take on some unwanted contracts.

Link

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2004, 11:39 PM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:3 of the 6 WORST players in NBA are MAVS!

Quote:
3 of the 6 WORST players in NBA are MAVS!
Bullshit. The list is horrible. The fact that he put Kareem Rush and Jerome James on the list is a testament to his stupidity. Rating Dickau after his second year when he hasn't really played? Ragging on Esch when there are tens of other white stiffs around? It's also kinda classless to pick on guys who don't have anything anymore like Gugliotta and Mutombo
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:42 PM   #3
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

I'd be concerned if any of those players were regulars on the court. I don't think they will play 100 combined minutes this year. Heck, they may not see the court ALL YEAR.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:42 PM   #4
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

Terrible list. BTW... did anyone see the "FIVE FOR THE FUTURE"??? They put Pavel in there.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:43 PM   #5
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

This is arguably the worst article I've ever read by a sportswriter. TAW was a good player until his knee gave out. How does he know TAW is a bad player? Has he been healthy and on the court the last 2 years to make that judgement? Many of these players are still good role players. Being a ROLE player doesn't make you a bad player but a player who works with others toward a common goal, winning as a team. I think you could pick from the names on this list and field a pretty solid eastern conference playoff team. These players beat the hell out of the players that were on the Mavs back in the early 90's.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:47 PM   #6
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

I tend to believe that the author meant "worst contracts in the NBA" instead of "worst players". Anyway, that's how I interpreted it because Tariq was a decent player when he played.

edit: I knew that I could count on EL to tell it like it is, and not beat around the bush! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Come on you homers, you can admit it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-26-2004, 02:01 AM   #7
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Quote:
Wang ZhiZhi, C, Miami -- Even the Chinese government has disowned him
That has nothing to do with being a good or bad player.

Wang simply refused to go home to play for his national team.

the list is a lot of cowshit...

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 02:27 AM   #8
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 3 of the 6 WORST players in NBA are MAVS!

Why is everyone so sensitive...it's just one man's opinion and nobody on the list is that great? Rush may be on his way up, but he's sucked for most of his short career. Injuries notwithstanding, Tariq has only averaged double figures once. Dan Issel was just an idiot for giving him the contract. He's a true sf, a position we could have used a time or two over the past few years, yet nobody wants him here...he's not a good NBA player.

Esch a rare NBA player in that he's unskilled and unathletic. Plus he manages to stay hurt despite the fact that he can't find any playing time
Old 08-26-2004, 08:42 AM   #9
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

17. Ira Newble, SF, Cleveland -- The patron saint of crap players getting big contracts after big years with crap teams. -Hilarious

Vladimir Radmanovic, SF, Seattle---Bringing up the rear? Excuse me, has this "writer" ever actually seen Radmanovic play? He's way wrong about him.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:58 AM   #10
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

This is just plain stupid. Mo Pete? Wagner? Rush? Why didn't these guys just list one player on each teams injured reserve list? Dickau hasn't even been given the chance to do anything yet. I do agree with TAW and Esch. Their IR players. That's what this list should be about.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 11:51 AM   #11
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
16. Kareem Rush, SG, Lakers -- Averaged 0.8 assists and 1.3 rebounds ... you gotta score more than 6.4 points to get away with that
... or 17 minutes per game... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] He is a role player, and he does everything his team needs him to do.

Quote:
10. Tom Gugliotta, PF, Boston -- Former All-Star scored in double figures once last season ... the preseason, that is
Looks like someone doesn't understand the simple concept of age. And looks like someone has no respect for somebody who's made a favorable impact on the NBA and is pretty much past his prime. Great logic there pal. Why not throw Michael Jordan in there? He hasn't scored a single point in 2 years!
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 02:27 PM   #12
Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rod1975
17. Ira Newble, SF, Cleveland -- The patron saint of crap players getting big contracts after big years with crap teams. -Hilarious

Vladimir Radmanovic, SF, Seattle---Bringing up the rear? Excuse me, has this "writer" ever actually seen Radmanovic play? He's way wrong about him.
LMAO, I know! Rad is a top 100 player easy, not a bottom 25.
Sinn Fein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 02:32 PM   #13
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

did anyone notice juwan howard at #25. Howard is much better than that.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 02:43 PM   #14
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Where's Byron Russell?
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 02:45 PM   #15
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
did anyone notice juwan howard at #25. Howard is much better than that.
i think the dude was taking money into consideration

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 03:26 PM   #16
BaylorTMW

BaylorTMW is on a distinguished road

There has got to be worse player than Kareem Rush, who was a very solid player for the Lakers in the playoffs, and Juwan Howard, who is a legit starter in this league. Sure Juwan's contract is horrible, but he is still a solid contributor...

And did that Vlad guy from Seattle put some nice moves on the americans during the olympics, or am i thinking of another random european guy...
Old 08-26-2004, 03:31 PM   #17
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Kareem Rush is an overrated crapcan. The above posted list was pretty inane, but the author was absolutely right including that 6.4 ppg, 1.3 rpg never-has-been-and-never-will-be spare on it...
Old 08-26-2004, 03:34 PM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

It's almost humorous how many of those guys have played with the Mavs at some point in time.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 03:44 PM   #19
Stitch Jones

Stitch Jones is a jewel in the roughStitch Jones is a jewel in the roughStitch Jones is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rod1975

Wow... I was thinking the exact same thing on both points.

"Did you know that Shaq makes $20 million this season ... and another $60 million over the next three? Every Miami fan just threw up on their creepy all-white T-shirt. "
~ Simmons
Stitch Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 03:49 PM   #20
Bluwizard

Bluwizard is on a distinguished road

What's wrong with Juwan Howard's contract?
5 million for a career 17 and 8 guy is pretty cheap if you ask me.
Bluwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 04:01 PM   #21
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Yea, that's what I was about to say. I know Juwan took less than the mid level exception. He's not that bad of a player even though he's been traded alot the last 3-4 years.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 04:03 PM   #22
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bluwizard
What's wrong with Juwan Howard's contract?
5 million for a career 17 and 8 guy is pretty cheap if you ask me.
It IS a reasonable contract .... maybe the author was confused with Juwan's previous contract (the one he had when he was with the mavs). [img]i/expressions/wine.gif[/img]

Old 08-26-2004, 04:44 PM   #23
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Kareem Rush is an overrated crapcan.
Agreed. I'm always telling a friend of mine who's a Lakers fan that he maybe the worst or second worst player in the league.

Wahad and Esch definitely deserve a top 5 spot, but not Dickau.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote