Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-14-2007, 10:40 PM   #121
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

3-3.....

Another tease.

I predict 4-3 San Jose.....with...I'm gonna guess...about 2:30 to go. But we'll see.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:17 PM   #122
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Remember when we used to be good at shootout? I miss that. Also, being good. I miss that. So depressing.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:30 PM   #123
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Turco really dropped the ball in the shootout. And the rest of the league knows exactly what zubie and jussi do now.

Daley played the most piss poor game ever. I'm going to strangle him in his sleep tonight. And then tomorrow they're going to be dedicating the penalty box at the AAC as the "Trevor Daley Memorial Sin Bin"
Old 11-15-2007, 07:06 AM   #124
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

Can we please put someone else out there for the shoot out once and a while. I can't tell you the last time Zubov or Jussie scored on it. As predictable as they have become they might as well skate robidas out for it.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:07 AM   #125
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbrynt
Can we please put someone else out there for the shoot out once and a while. I can't tell you the last time Zubov or Jussie scored on it. As predictable as they have become they might as well skate robidas out for it.

....so he can skate over to the blue line and rip his patented 3 foot wide slapper....
Old 11-15-2007, 09:11 AM   #126
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Yeah....Robi and Miettinen need to go to some kind of shooting the puck clinic. They can't find the net at all.

They need to give them wooden sticks, actually. These composite sticks are only good for the guys who can control them, otherwise they produce fantastically fast but wild shots.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:03 AM   #127
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

well I will be damned! After all the ragging on jokinen I have done he shuts me up with a 4 GOAL!!! game. What the hell was going on out there, he handled passes cleanly, found open spots and converted his shots on goal it was beautiful. Also smitty played very well in place of a severely struggling marty turco. A really refreshing performance by our stars. Now please can we string a few of these together.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:29 PM   #128
ilMavvento

ilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the rough

Yeah... that game was the happy/fun-loving side of our favorite schizophrenic team.

It really could have been more like 9-1 if Budaj hadn't come in and played well. Mittens hit the post and Hagman had a few golden chances. Real entertaining game to watch though.
ilMavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:32 PM   #129
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Jussi isn't worth the money for that kind of night every once in a while. H needs some consistency.His goal total now looks inflated.

What the hell was with Colorado last night? They looked like us. They were just giving the puck away, and the goals they gave up were pretty soft. Any win is a good win, but 6-1 is twice as nice.

Time to get some revenge against the Kings on Monday.

I am so tired of these division games. The schedule needs to change now.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 11-17-2007 at 11:32 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:47 AM   #130
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Oh and one thing we haven't even talked about at all:

Jussi has been mentioned in several trade rumors lately. And then goes and does this.

So does that sweeten the trade rumors that much more? or does that make Dallas that much more likely to keep him?

(for the record....I'm not that impressed. It was one game)
Old 11-18-2007, 02:20 PM   #131
wesbrynt

what were the details of those trade rumors flaco? Any good returns for dallas?
Old 11-19-2007, 03:30 PM   #132
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbrynt
what were the details of those trade rumors flaco? Any good returns for dallas?
I have no idea. Heika mentioned something on the dallas morning news blog one time, it was very ambiguous. Apparently Army was trying to shop Jussi before he left.

Fedoruk was placed on waivers yesterday. Good deal there. I really didn't get that signing in the first place, and he was a waste of space. I'd rather have winchester in there instead (when he gets healthy) He has the size, is younger, and has better hands.

Heika says Smitty will play in goal again tonight. I'm kind of so-so on that move. Yeah he was good on friday, but really didn't have to be great. If the Kings start coming alive again like last saturday night, there's nothing Smitty can do.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:12 PM   #133
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

uh oh....a 3rd period lead~!
Old 11-19-2007, 10:50 PM   #134
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

3-0. Awesometown. It is annoying that we can never assume a 3-goal lead in the third is a done deal ever again.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:32 PM   #135
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Yeah, but it was tonight.

They kept puck possession and continued to pressure. Good stuff. No glaring defensive mistakes.

I wonder why they don't play that way when marty is back there. I bet marty wonders the same thing.

2 in a row....odd. All signs point to a let down on "Mike Modano tribute night"
Old 11-20-2007, 04:54 PM   #136
wesbrynt

At what point do you start to decide that smitty is the goal tender of the future much like we did with turco and belfour. Do you try and shop turco ever for offensive help? Seems like tippett is liking smitty more and more and I am curious as to whats next. Don't get me wrong cause I love turco but this team could really use a top notch scorer
Old 11-20-2007, 05:04 PM   #137
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I do not personally believe that the last 2 games were a product of better goal tending. The guys played great in front of Smitty. Very few turnovers, lots of help from the forwards back on D. Great back checking. They limited the Kings shots very well.

If they'd have played that same way with Marty back there, I'm reasonably confident the results would've been the same.

Marty is owed too much money to give up on him yet. Conversely, I think dangling Smith out there for a scoring winger, would be a great idea. Although, I'd hate to see him go. I loved having Hedberg backing Marty up, and now we're still spoiled with Smith.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:11 PM   #138
wesbrynt

Flaco, do you not think that mentally turco is struggling right now and thats why tippett has gone to smith. Ever since that debacle in L.A. seems like he just is not quite right. Has a lost look in his eyes right now.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:24 PM   #139
ames7
Diamond Member

I'm officially regretting not buying tickets for the Leafs on Friday. I might still try to get some if they aren't too expensive. I'm looking forward to actually getting to see some games over break & seeing if this little resurgence looks for real or not...
Old 11-22-2007, 02:58 AM   #140
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

First game I've missed this season, tv or live. The wife and I were driving all day/night for thanksgiving.

My dad said it was a pretty good night, but frustrating before the 2 quickies.

I knew Mo was going to score tonight. It was too good.

Hagman for President.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:03 AM   #141
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

btw....24 points is good for 3rd most in the conference?

wtf?

You cant get a playoff spot in November or December, but it is a hell of a good time to be putting a run together. All these eastern conference road games coming up will be a good test to see if that offense is as good as it has been the last couple of weeks.

I just cant believe what a mess this division is right now. The Ducks.....what happened? Sn Jose is leading, and they've been on a roll lately. Phx has flashes, but then relapses into crap. LA looks like the dog this year. But when you look at the points, they could all change places within a week. Crazy.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:02 AM   #142
wesbrynt

the modano ceremony before the game was really good, He was pretty choked up the whole time, which in turn had me choked up too. Great videos and having all those people there was awesome. Didn't know willa fords real name was mandy??? Also good for him getting the goal. It is easy to forget how great this guy has been for so long. Smitty with another nice game in goal, even though he makes me sooo nervous when he is flailing around behind the net. Turco I hope you are watching this
Old 11-22-2007, 10:36 AM   #143
ilMavvento

ilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the rough

Yeah it was a class move by the Stars to invite Housley and Mullen for the ceremony. Great job by Mike for not getting distracted and coming through for the team when the Ducks checkers were effectively neutralizing the Ribeiro line (first time this year that's happened??) .
ilMavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:14 AM   #144
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Well, that was a game the Stars should've won by more than that 1 goal lead with 2 min left. They had LOTS of good chances (mind you I only saw the 4 minute highlights on dallasstars.com). It looked to me that they had plenty of quality chances.

New pads for Marty? SECRET WEAPON BABY!!!!

4 in a row. Soak that in. That may be, nay, will be the longest winning streak of the season, no? I love it, though. They needed all those points so terribly bad. They go on a hell of a road trip now. May god have mercy on their souls.

I'll give them one thing though: They sure responded well to a home stand filled with every shannanigan that management could throw at them. Let's see if they can travel with it. I bet not. This team is mediocre to the nth degree. Win 4? sure. They'll lose 3 of the next 5, and I'd bet a LOT of money on it.

They win, they lose. They're .500. They're your dallas stars.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:45 AM   #145
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Lehtinen out 6-8 weeks with sports hernia????

WTF???????????????????????????????
Old 11-24-2007, 02:45 PM   #146
wesbrynt

Hope lehtinen is not out that long, but those things are tough to get over. Did anyonone see tucker go after modano and put him on the ice? It pissed me off that no one on our team even went after him. The leafs seemed like a bunch of bitches though and Tucker is notorious for being a punk so whats new
Old 11-25-2007, 06:47 PM   #147
ames7
Diamond Member

Smith & the Stars steal one in MSG... 5 in a row & I am now raising my eyebrows. They need to not get outshot by a gazillion, but 5 in a row is 5 in a row. Somehow we are in first & just 4 points back of Detroit & 5 of league leader Ottawa. (How the hell is that possible??) Rumors of this season's demise may have been premature.

PS: the Lundqvist v Lundqvist series is now knotted at 1-1.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:53 PM   #148
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

The league in general is as mediocre as the Stars themselves.

Luckily the Stars goaltending today was not mediocre.

And I've said it all along, score 3 goals, win the game.

Score 3 goals, win the game.

Aren't they due for an ass wipping though? Guerin hat trick tomorrow?
Old 11-26-2007, 01:34 AM   #149
ames7
Diamond Member

In honor of the impending letdown game that I will pretty much be anticipating every game from now on until it actually happens, here are a few surprising stats that I, at least, was not aware of... Considering how awful it seems like they've been, they're still 7th in the league in scoring & 9th in goals against (obviously this has something to do with the win streak, but still). Their PP is 2nd & PK 5th. I mean...that's, you know, really good. And again, 1st in their division, 2nd in the West, tied for 4th in the NHL...I kind of can't get over it. I mean, seriously, right before the front office shake-up, I honestly thought this season was as good as over. They really are not that bad. I'm not saying they're great...I'm just saying, hey. Not bad. Yay.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:25 AM   #150
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

The Stars, much like the Mavericks, will find out that slow starts will eventually bite you in the ass. They have not played 60 min of good hockey in a few games. The Toronto and NYR starts were terrible.

It's been funny this week. The mavs are usually my safety blanket in the regular season, and the Stars are my stressed out, pacing, can't sit still kind of team; And this last week it's the Mavs who drop two in a row, and the Stars have a 5 game win streak?

Turco tonight, I assume.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:56 PM   #151
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Another piss poor effor tonight to start the game off with.

And another win..... this team is seriously on borrowed time now.

It would've been nice to have taken all of these points away from division opponents....

Turco had 2 massive brain farts in this game. The first one ended up in the net, and Turco was closer to the bench than he was his own goal. Still, he played extremely well the rest of the game.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:23 AM   #152
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

6th straight for the stars, congratulations

at least one aac team knows how to win

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:16 AM   #153
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
6th straight for the stars, congratulations

at least one aac team knows how to win

Yeah. I wish the damned mavs would get it in gear. The Stars will always be my first love in this town, but let's face it, we all have our championship dreams resting on the mavericks and right now they're not in sync at all.

Anywho.....let us also give credit where credit is due. Apparently Mikey Mo has 6 goals and 6 assists in his last 10 games. Me likey.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 11-27-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:04 PM   #154
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

modano has been so good for so long

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:00 PM   #155
wesbrynt

I gotta give it to them, they are finding ways to win. It is shocking that the mavs have a 3 game losing streak and the stars have a 6 game win streak! whodathunkit.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:44 AM   #156
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
So.... the Stars were on a 7 game win streak while the Mavericks were on a 3 game losing streak. Since then, Stars are on a 2 game losing streak while the Mavs have won 2.

If that is what it takes, I hope the Stars go winless the rest of the year (sorry Flaco, sorry Ames - you know I still love you guys).
My blood pressure is fluctuating wildly.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:55 AM   #157
wesbrynt

flaco, do you have a list of the leaders and worst in plus/minus ratings for dallas?
Old 12-02-2007, 04:01 PM   #158
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/app?form...bmit=Get+Stats

Grossman has a plus 8, and Modano is the worst with a -9, largely because he kills penalties, and the beginning of the year he sucked. Oh and crosby torched his ass twice the other night.

Daley is a -7. He should be a -50. I am starting to hate that guy.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:25 PM   #159
wesbrynt

if not for the two points he got last night he would be tied for the worst on the team. I seem to see him on the ice for every goal against. I hate him so much.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:16 PM   #160
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Good win tonight. They should've had 4 in regulation, at least. Leclaire was awesome in goal for them.

Make sure you watch the shootout highlights on Dallasstars.com