Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-18-2003, 05:32 PM   #41
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:If the season ended today, would Quincy Carter's job be safe?

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
How can you say that with a straight face?

Carter's QB rating is worse this year so far
Carter's completion percentage is worse this year so far
Carter's yards per game is worse this year so far
Carter's TD to interception ratio is worse this year so far

Do I think he's had a worse season this year compared to last? No, not at all. Howeve, he has not done enough to wrap up the position for next year.

Those stats got inflated by the last game by the Pats but the whole question is premature itself. Completion will change once Galloway comes back and Richie Anderson is healthy all of those stats will go up. It's been 10 games. He has 7 games to change those stats. But stats don't always tell the story. Through 10 games this season he has played mediocre football.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2003, 05:35 PM   #42
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

So, his QB rating was slightly higher than last years before last game
His completion percentage was comparable.
His yards per game were still less than last year
His TD to interceptions ratio was only slightly higher.

Does that really do much to strengthen your argument? No, I didn't think so.
And the last time I checked, you couldn't pick and choose which games you wanted to include when discussing stats on the season.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 05:41 PM   #43
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
So, his QB rating was slightly higher than last years before last game
His completion percentage was comparable.
His yards per game were still less than last year
His TD to interceptions ratio was only slightly higher.

Does that really do much to strengthen your argument? No, I didn't think so.
And the last time I checked, you couldn't pick and choose which games you wanted to include when discussing stats on the season.

He has won us 7 games this season and lost us 3. Thats all the stats I need to know.

1996-2005
Old 11-18-2003, 05:54 PM   #44
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He has won us 7 games this season and lost us 3. Thats all the stats I need to know.
Carter has won the Cowboys 7 games?
Please, step away from the computer. Take a deep breath. Now, come back and re-read what you've typed.

Since when's the QB the only person that's responsible for wins and losses? That is what you're saying when you say 'He has won us 7 games this season and lost us 3.'

Perhaps having a defense that has allowed way over 20 yards per game less than any other defense in the league has something to do with it.

I'm sorry, but even when a team is winning there's still issues that need to be addressed. Bringing in a QB to push Carter for the starting job could very well be one of the issues that's addressed in the off season.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:05 PM   #45
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Carter has won the Cowboys 7 games?
Please, step away from the computer. Take a deep breath. Now, come back and re-read what you've typed.

Since when's the QB the only person that's responsible for wins and losses? That is what you're saying when you say 'He has won us 7 games this season and lost us 3.'

Perhaps having a defense that has allowed way over 20 yards per game less than any other defense in the league has something to do with it.

I'm sorry, but even when a team is winning there's still issues that need to be addressed. Bringing in a QB to push Carter for the starting job could very well be one of the issues that's addressed in the off season.

The defense surely isn't putting points on the board. The running game sure isn't bringing us down the field. That's all Quincy. A qb should be brought in yes. I have no problem bringing in a qb but it better not be a 30+ year old guy who is on the downside of his career (Brunell, Warner). And here is my whole logic with bringing in a qb. If we pick one up free agency why is he there in the first place? If he was any good that team would keep him. When it comes to drafting one in the draft thats fine but it will more than likely come on the 2nd day of the draft because we atleast have 4 positions we have to go after before looking at a qb.

1996-2005
Old 11-18-2003, 06:20 PM   #46
Murphy3
Guru

The 'boys are 23rd in the NFL in PPG. So, apparently Carter isn't doing a very good job of marching the cowboys down the field for scores. No, the running backs aren't doing a great job either.

However, if not for the the defense repeatedly giving the Cowboys great field position throughout this year by totally shutting down other offenses, I'd be willing to bet that the offense would be ranked near the very bottom of the NFL in PPG.

The Cowboys biggest weapon on offense has been the defenses ability to hold opponents to a minimal amount of yards week after week after week.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:29 PM   #47
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
The 'boys are 23rd in the NFL in PPG. So, apparently Carter isn't doing a very good job of marching the cowboys down the field for scores. No, the running backs aren't doing a great job either.

However, if not for the the defense repeatedly giving the Cowboys great field position throughout this year by totally shutting down other offenses, I'd be willing to bet that the offense would be ranked near the very bottom of the NFL in PPG.

The Cowboys biggest weapon on offense has been the defenses ability to hold opponents to a minimal amount of yards week after week after week.

In order to win games in this league you have to scorep oints. I don't care if the defense allows the opposing team no points the offense must atleast put 3 points on the score board to win the game. I count that as a win. Doesn't matter how many points Quincy scores just matters he puts enough points up there to win us the game.

1996-2005
Old 11-18-2003, 06:43 PM   #48
Murphy3
Guru

So you're saying that the team that scores the most points wins the game?
Good point FFM.

However, what does that have to do with your defense of Carter? Is he solely responsible for the points that they do put on the board but in no way responsible for the offense ranking near the bottom of the league in PPG?

Hey, the running game isn't going to look good when other teams don't have to worry about your QB.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:47 PM   #49
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
So you're saying that the team that scores the most points wins the game?
Good point FFM.

However, what does that have to do with your defense of Carter? Is he solely responsible for the points that they do put on the board but in no way responsible for the offense ranking near the bottom of the league in PPG?

Hey, the running game isn't going to look good when other teams don't have to worry about your QB.

The same can be said for the QB. The passing game isn't goign to look good when other teams don't have to worry about the running backs. Actually I think thats the case now. Teams don't fear our backs. They should fear Richie Anderson but they don't. What does it have to do wtih my defense? I stated the guy has won 7 out of 10 games this season. Thats all the stats I need. We all expected this team to win 5 games or less this season. We have won 7 through 10 games. I'm not the one overreacting here. All Cowboys need to do is score 14 a game and we will win.

1996-2005
Old 11-18-2003, 06:51 PM   #50
Murphy3
Guru

Which is my point FFM. Both the passing game and the running game share the blame in the Cowboys offensive woes. The cowboys definitely need to upgrade at the RB spot. As for the QB spot, it's a little more difficult to upgrade there. However, they do need to look for someone to push Quincy Carter for the job.

I full expect that Carter will be the starter for the 'Boys going into next season. But, I do not believe that he's done enough for the Cowboys to not bring in someone to compete with him for the job. I full expect the Cowboys to attempt to bring in a QB that will be right there nipping at Carter's heels for the starting job going into next season. Why wouldn't they?
Old 11-18-2003, 07:02 PM   #51
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Which is my point FFM. Both the passing game and the running game share the blame in the Cowboys offensive woes. The cowboys definitely need to upgrade at the RB spot. As for the QB spot, it's a little more difficult to upgrade there. However, they do need to look for someone to push Quincy Carter for the job.

I full expect that Carter will be the starter for the 'Boys going into next season. But, I do not believe that he's done enough for the Cowboys to not bring in someone to compete with him for the job. I full expect the Cowboys to attempt to bring in a QB that will be right there nipping at Carter's heels for the starting job going into next season. Why wouldn't they?

Who is that qb Doug Johnson lol? It's clear what Bill's goal is. He wants to succeed but not go out and pay to succeed. He could've had Stephen Davis. I think they are in the rebuilding mode regardless of there record now. With that being said, the qb will more than likely be a draft pick. I then ask myself why do you have 3 backup qb's on your roster who are inexperienced.

1996-2005
Old 11-18-2003, 08:02 PM   #52
Murphy3
Guru

Parcells will be looking to win in the next couple of years. This is not some rebuilding project that he's planning on taking 4-5 years.

Why did the Cowboys not bring in Stephen Davis? Like many other teams, they underestimated what he had left in the tank.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:50 PM   #53
thewillis12

thewillis12 is on a distinguished road

ok, lets say that Quincy loses his starting job. who do you bring in then?? chad, romo??? i think that he is all we are gonna get for a while.
thewillis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 08:55 PM   #54
Murphy3
Guru

hmm..i'm not sure how someone saying that the cowboys might 'bring someone in to compete' would lead you to believe that we're talking about romo or chad
Old 11-19-2003, 04:08 PM   #55
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

Had he taken the time to read the whole thread and not just the post above his, he would have seen a couple of statements that indicate the idea. Bringing in another guy does not mean Romo or Hutch. It is addressed a couple of times in this thread.
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 06:26 PM   #56
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Who is the soon-to-be-former Yankee pitcher that Jones wants to sign as a free agent?
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 06:51 PM   #57
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
Who is the soon-to-be-former Yankee pitcher that Jones wants to sign as a free agent?

No! Not Drew! I just can't take a guy who has been out of football for a long period of time.

1996-2005
Old 11-19-2003, 06:55 PM   #58
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

That would be Drew Henson, Max. He looked really good at Michigan, but does he still have the skills? Houston currently owns his rights.

And besides, do the cowboys really need another washed up baseball player playing QB?

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 07:59 PM   #59
Murphy3
Guru

Drew Henson's a third baseman
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2003, 10:23 PM   #60
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
All I heard was that it was another baseball player. I don't want a baseball player - I want a football player.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 11:21 PM   #61
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Quote:
All I heard was that it was another baseball player. I don't want a baseball player - I want a football player.
I heard that.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:35 PM   #62
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Quote:
Well if you don't want a baseball player maybe the Rangers could help you out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2003, 11:39 PM   #63
bogey
Banned

Carter will have competition for his job next year. Period. Let those who want to wallow in denial do so in ignorant bliss, but Parcells is not going to ever accept mediocrity.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:42 PM   #64
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

But does anyone on the Cowboys get a ride free of competiton from Parcells? Or can someone name all the players on the Cowboys who won't have any competition next year?
Old 11-19-2003, 11:44 PM   #65
bogey
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
But does anyone on the Cowboys get a ride free of competiton from Parcells? Or can someone name all the players on the Cowboys who won't have any competition next year?
That was exactly the point. Parcells has ideas about who will and who will not start. But noone is guaranteed. The carter apologists saw someone posting that their beloved qtard might not be a starter and they blocked out the rest. Parcells will evaluate Roy Williams next season. Roy is about as much of a lock as there is on this team. Some posters need to take off their carter-colored glasses and accept the facts. Parcells himself would tell you nothing less.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:56 PM   #66
LRB
Guru

Bogey I would agree both about Roy being as much a lock as there is on the team and Bill still evaluating him. But that is one of the things I like about Parcells. Everyone is expected to work and produce. There is no coasting on past years reputations as is so often found in the NFL and pro sports in general. Also there's no doubt that the tuna and not the players are in charge. Non of that Randy Moss crap about taking plays off.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:59 PM   #67
bogey
Banned

Bingo. Do you remember the reports out of Valley Ranch when Parcells came abourd? When asked, 100% of all veterans made a comment similiar to "It is clear that noone has a guaranteed position, we have to earn it". Also, Parcells made a comment that some "veterans will be severelyy disappointed".
Old 11-20-2003, 12:10 AM   #68
LRB
Guru

Well I guess the free lunches have ended in Valley Ranch. What a coincidence that the Cowboys already have 2 more wins than last year. [img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2003, 12:48 AM   #69
bogey
Banned

I am very pleased at the Cowboys record. Noone with a reasonable mind would have predicted it.

I love it!
Old 11-20-2003, 10:08 AM   #70
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Bogey I would agree both about Roy being as much a lock as there is on the team and Bill still evaluating him. But that is one of the things I like about Parcells. Everyone is expected to work and produce. There is no coasting on past years reputations as is so often found in the NFL and pro sports in general. Also there's no doubt that the tuna and not the players are in charge. Non of that Randy Moss crap about taking plays off.
This goes back to the Great Jimmy Johnson's philosophy of FEAR being the best motivator.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 05:26 PM   #71
bogey
Banned

It worked out pretty well for Johnson. I have no problem with it now. I'd love for Parcells to be as successful as Johnson was.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:30 PM   #72
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
Quote:
This goes back to the Great Jimmy Johnson's philosophy of FEAR being the best motivator.
Call it fear or whatever. I look at it is if you do you job great, but if you expect to rank in big bucks playing grab @$$, it's not going to happen. Just becaue you have talent doesn't mean that you don't have to work hard. If you don't work hard, then you're out the door. I mean with the bucks even the rookie bench warmers get, they should be working hard. That's some serious money.

Old 11-21-2003, 12:06 AM   #73
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

IMO Carter is Bills QB next year. I think he did NOT excpect much success this year, but wanted to find out what he had here, in order to get closer next year, and then make a run in his 3 rd year. Carter has been a pleasant surprise, and I think Bill is attached to him. He knows that Quincy will do anything he says, and never complain. And there is a reason Bill says stats aren't important for a QB, it's because it's true. I thought that Quincy had a decent game against NE, and only had one bad pick (poole). The fact is that the entire offense has sucked, and we all know Quincy is not the kinda guy who can't carry the entire load. The RB situation sucks, and Bill knows this. Why do you think he want after Alexander and Barlow at the trade dealine. He knows he needs a gamebreaker at running back to help Quincy out.
And before anyone accuses me of being a apologist. I'd like to say I think Quincy is very average, but i also think that that is what Bill wants, and is the reason he'll be back next year.
Plus Bill has bigger issues to worry about for next year, (RB, DE, Allen,galloway)
Old 11-21-2003, 12:24 AM   #74
bogey
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Just211
IMO Carter is Bills QB next year. I think he did NOT excpect much success this year, but wanted to find out what he had here, in order to get closer next year, and then make a run in his 3 rd year. Carter has been a pleasant surprise, and I think Bill is attached to him. He knows that Quincy will do anything he says, and never complain. And there is a reason Bill says stats aren't important for a QB, it's because it's true. I thought that Quincy had a decent game against NE, and only had one bad pick (poole). The fact is that the entire offense has sucked, and we all know Quincy is not the kinda guy who can't carry the entire load. The RB situation sucks, and Bill knows this. Why do you think he want after Alexander and Barlow at the trade dealine. He knows he needs a gamebreaker at running back to help Quincy out.
And before anyone accuses me of being a apologist. I'd like to say I think Quincy is very average, but i also think that that is what Bill wants, and is the reason he'll be back next year.
Plus Bill has bigger issues to worry about for next year, (RB, DE, Allen,galloway)

That's hardly being an apologist Just211. You thought out your answer, provided analysis, etc. It is as good an answer as there is at this point. I think Bill wants to give Carter every chance to succeed, but I do not think Carter will enter camp without a new QB fighting for his job. He has been only mediocre. With a stud RB he may be better, but right now he has little in his bag.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:31 AM   #75
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all
Default RE: If the season ended today, would Quincy Carter's job be safe?

yeah. but i don't think Quincy is LOSING the games. Bill plays conservative to keep the game close, and it didn't work against better teams (strong defensive teams) like the Bucs and Pats. But i do agree that it's not a lock that he'll be the given starter. He has to do good down this stretch. and IMO i'm glad they have a hard stretch. Bill gets to see exactly what he has. SO far Quincy has been a little below avg, and Troy has been very pedestrian. I'm sure he's out as the #1 RB, now lets see if Quincy can cement his #1 QB.
And CArilona will be a great test. Bill will open the offense up this week, and hopefully Quincy steps up.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:06 AM   #76
bogey
Banned

We will see soon...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2003, 01:30 AM   #77
Murphy3
Guru

mediocrity shouldn't be acceptable at the QB position..or any position for that matter.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:50 AM   #78
bogey
Banned

Quote:
mediocrity shouldn't be acceptable at the QB position..or any position for that matter.
Which is why Qspare will face stiff competition next year. Parcells will see to it.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:03 AM   #79
bogey
Banned

Did you know?

Qspare has only 2 TD passes and 7 interceptions in the last four games.

Unacceptable.