Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 03-28-2005, 06:21 PM   #41
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Kiper's latest mock

they really need to give up that 2....if that's the asking price now, you have to answer the bell.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2005, 09:01 PM   #42
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe the Cowboys know something we don't. Patience.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:53 PM   #43
steponhens

steponhens is on a distinguished road

I don't understand the rise of Pac Man...I think he will be a huge flop.

Also if the Chargers trade Rivers for the #1 they could have a stacked team next year. Throw in Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards and that offense is scary.

Napolean: Whatever I feel like! God!
steponhens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:25 PM   #44
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Goose hates Mike Williams...says he's the fourth WR in this draft...he says he's an H back.

Edwards

Clayton

Troy Williamson
then...
Williams

he also said that DJ will go between 11-20. WHAT THE HECK???!!!!!! GOOSE IS THROWING OUT SOME ODD STUFF!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 03-29-2005, 12:52 PM   #45
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Goose is usually pretty accurate. His ratings aren’t really based on what he's seen, but rather on what he's heard and he has a pretty good network of contacts.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:55 PM   #46
sike
The Preacha

Default RE:Kiper's latest mock

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Goose is usually pretty accurate. His ratings aren’t really based on what he's seen, but rather on what he's heard and he has a pretty good network of contacts.
I know, but this is different from everything I've heard....

Old 03-29-2005, 01:18 PM   #47
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I hear that DJ's "physicality" issues have him dropping down the board. Relies on his legs to make plays, rather than taking on blocks...or somesuch.

Merriman seems like a likely choice for the 'Boys, but I also hear that they are high on Marcus Spears.

I bet they turn their second pick into a receiver and maybe something else.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:20 PM   #48
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg

I bet they turn their second pick into a receiver and maybe something else.
I hope the turn it into a guy named Howard who had 11 sacks last season

Old 03-29-2005, 05:48 PM   #49
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You and me both.

If the Cows could get DJ with their first pick and Cody with the second (Dan or Shawn), and Howard with their 2nd rounder...I would call it a great draft.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 06:30 PM   #50
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
Quote:
You and me both.

If the Cows could get DJ with their first pick and Cody with the second (Dan or Shawn), and Howard with their 2nd rounder...I would call it a great draft.
now you're preaching!

Old 03-30-2005, 08:41 PM   #51
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Quote:
If that somehow happened, we'd have one of the top 3 defenses in the league (at least on paper). Than all we really would need is a speedy receiver and those losing seasons would be behind us.

That being said, DJ won't be there when we pick and Cody won't be there for our 2nd pick. The browns are in love with DJ and look for them to trade 1-2 spots down (possibly with the Vikings) and draft him. I see the cowboys drafting Merriman and Troy Williamson.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:18 PM   #52
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That being said, DJ won't be there when we pick and Cody won't be there for our 2nd pick. The browns are in love with DJ and look for them to trade 1-2 spots down (possibly with the Vikings) and draft him. I see the cowboys drafting Merriman and Troy Williamson.
I don't think DJ will be there at 11 either, but if he is.... I hope they get him. I don't know if Howard is available for a 2nd rounder, but if he is -- I hope they make that trade. I expect one of the Cody's either Dan or Shawn to be there at 20 (although their is not guarantee).

With that said, I expect them to draft 2 of Merriman, Pollock, E James, M Spears.

In my perfect little world, with me as GM: DJ at 11, Dan Cody at 20, and the 6'6" Arkansas QB (Matt Jones) as a speed receiver/slash in the 2nd round (massive potential that will probably never be reached). Then I trade a next year's 2nd and one of this years 6th for Howard. The 4th, 5th I get two safeties, the 6th and 7th, I get OT and MLB.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 03-31-2005, 02:52 AM   #53
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Charles Robinson from Yahoo Sports

------------------------------------------------------------

1. San Francisco 49ers – Aaron Rodgers, QB, California
The 49ers have needs all over the place, but if they keep this pick, the only choice that truly makes sense is the local boy Rodgers. Wide receivers don't touch the ball enough to be No. 1 picks, and running back isn't an overwhelming need. Rodgers has proven himself to be more polished at this stage than Utah's Alex Smith, and he can be the centerpiece new coach Mike Nolan builds around. Don't think twice about the rumors of San Diego shipping Philip Rivers to the 49ers for this pick. They're simply not true.

2. Miami Dolphins – Ronnie Brown, RB, Auburn
Coach Nick Saban would like to go after Auburn's Jason Campbell or Akron's Charlie Frye in the second round, and that's one of the reasons this spot is ripe for a trade. Moving down a few spots would still allow Saban to get his running back, and then have a chance at a quarterback in the second round. Then again, Saban won't have to move if he can get a second-round pick for cornerback Patrick Surtain. If the Dolphins stand pat, Brown is the likely choice. He's the most complete running back in the draft and can touch the football 25 times a game both running and catching. As for Ricky Williams influencing what Miami does with this pick, forget about it.

3. Cleveland Browns – Alex Smith, QB, Utah
This slot holds the key to the draft's top 10. If the Browns pull a surprise and take Michigan's Braylon Edwards (or trade the pick to a team that covets the Wolverines star) it will throw draft boards everywhere into chaos. If Cleveland remains here, it's incorrect to assume the Browns are eyeing Texas linebacker Derrick Johnson because of Romeo Crennel's defensive resume. This is far too high to select Johnson, and Crennel isn't running this draft – general manager Phil Savage is. If the Browns stay put, and we're betting they won't, Savage will go with a quarterback to groom under Trent Dilfer.

4. Chicago Bears – Braylon Edwards, WR, Michigan
Even with the signing of Muhsin Muhammad, Edwards makes sense for three reasons. One, he's the most talented player in the draft. Two, his speed and size will add another component to help the maturation of quarterback Rex Grossman. Three, Edwards can be allowed to grow into his role, while Muhammad (who turns 32 this offseason) draws most of the attention in the secondary. Cedric Benson is a possibility, but Chicago isn't giving up on Thomas Jones just yet.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Carnell Williams, RB, Auburn
Tampa's love of USC receiver Mike Williams is legitimate, but with Michael Clayton and Joey Galloway already on the depth chart, running back is a more pressing need. Cedric Benson will be considered, but head coach Jon Gruden got a closer look at Carnell Williams when he coached him at the Senior Bowl. Now Williams has packed on an additional 10 pounds of muscle to make himself an every-down player, and still retained his full range of speed and athleticism. He's a better fit than Benson for Gruden's style of football, too.

6. Tennessee Titans – Adam Jones, CB, West Virginia
Part of this pick depends on what happens with free-agent cornerback Andre Dyson, who still may end up returning to the Titans. If Dyson stays in Tennessee, don't be surprised to see USC's Mike Williams reunited with former Trojan offensive coordinator Norm Chow in Nashville. But if Dyson signs elsewhere, the need at cornerback will simply be too great for the Titans to ignore. Tennessee will then take Jones, who is the best cover man available.

7. Minnesota Vikings – Mike Williams, WR, USC
This is the player Mike Tice and the Vikings have coveted all along, and he's a natural selection to help fill the void Randy Moss left behind. A few weeks ago, it looked like Williams had moved himself into the draft's top five picks, but his impressive workout was matched by Edwards and both of the draft's marquee quarterbacks. That reality, paired with the needs of other teams, will cause Williams to fall to the Vikings. Williams is big, athletic and fast enough. Playing in the Vikings' offense, he should have a good shot to be Offensive Rookie of the Year.

8. Arizona Cardinals – Cedric Benson, RB, Texas
The potential trade for Bills running back Travis Henry would change this pick into a cornerback like Miami's Antrel Rolle. But if that deal doesn't get done, the Cardinals might attempt to move up to grab one of the three running backs. If they stay put, Benson's lukewarm workout, combined with Jon Gruden's familiarity with Carnell Williams and other circumstances, will cause the Texas product to slip to the Cardinals. He's an every-down tank that coach Dennis Green is looking for, and he would make it difficult for teams that already have to worry about Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin.

9. Washington Redskins – Antrel Rolle, CB, Miami
Coach Joe Gibbs needs a starting cornerback after the departure of Fred Smoot, and Rolle appears to be a natural fit, having played alongside Redskins safety Sean Taylor in college. There were some questions about Rolle's speed, but he answered his critics with an impressive pro day. While he might not be the pure coverage man that Adam Jones is, coaches think Rolle can make up the difference with physical play in the first five yards of a receiver's route.

10. Detroit Lions – Derrick Johnson, LB, Texas
Florida State offensive tackle Alex Barron and Oklahoma defensive end Dan Cody make more sense, considering the Lions have needs at those spots. But with Boss Bailey's health concerns, Johnson is too good to pass up this far down in the draft. If the Lions can move one of them into the middle, the trio of Teddy Lehman, Boss Bailey and Johnson (not to mention James Davis in reserve) would make for the fastest linebacker corps in the NFL. There are a lot of whispers about Johnson's ability to take on blockers, but that might be some sand-bagging. He played at an elite level for four years at a major program.

11. Dallas Cowboys – Shawne Merriman, DE/LB, Maryland
Merriman only really had one breakout season in college, and he still has to learn how to play in coverage as a linebacker. But he fits exactly what the Cowboys are looking for in an athletic flex defensive end/linebacker to fit a 3-4 defense. He's got plenty of size and speed, and he impressed scouts in his positional drills leading to the draft. He could be a major hit, but his lack of long-term success makes him a risk for the "bust" category.

12. San Diego Chargers – Dan Cody, DE, Oklahoma
The Chargers need to get a better pass rush from their defensive line after ranking near the bottom of the NFL in sacks last season. Cody is the type of high-energy player Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips loves. His lack of bulk is a red flag – and he took a year away in college to be treated for depression – but he has played the last two years without any issues. San Diego could also fill its wide receiver need here and wait to grab a defensive end until later, but most of the top prospects at that position will be gone by their 28th pick, so they'll fill that need with Cody first.

13. Houston Texans – Alex Barron, OT, Florida State
The Texans clearly want to upgrade their talent at offensive tackle, and Barron is the best one available. Though there have been questions about his passion, he's got all the physical tools needed at the position, and he's gotten exponentially better every year in college. Some grumbled about his difficulties in the bench press, but Barron has the longest arms of anyone in the draft and good lower body strength. He's more likely to be a very good player (perhaps even Pro Bowl caliber) than to be a bust.

14. Carolina Panthers – Troy Williamson, WR, South Carolina
The Panthers need a talented receiver to fill the gap left behind by Muhsin Muhammad, and the underrated Williamson fits the bill. Though Williamson had only one breakout season, he's got an abundance of speed (showcased by running sub-4.4 seconds in the 40) and plenty of size and athleticism. Carolina is a good fit for him, because he can mature while Steve Smith and Keary Colbert handle the bulk of the load early on. If he had played in an offense with better quarterbacks, he might be mentioned in the same breath as Braylon Edwards and Mike Williams.

15. Kansas City Chiefs – Carlos Rogers, CB, Auburn
This pick could change by draft day if Kansas City nabs Ty Law in free agency or Miami's Patrick Surtain in a trade. If the Chiefs were to acquire one of those players, they would likely look for a defensive end here. Barring one of those additions panning out, the Chiefs will go with Rogers, whose stock has risen since very impressive workouts leading up to the draft. Clearly the best defensive player for Auburn last season, some argue Rogers could be a more complete cornerback down the road than West Virginia's Adam Jones and Miami's Antrel Rolle.

16. New Orleans Saints – Travis Johnson, DT, Florida State
This is another pick that could change depending on what happens with the potential trade of defensive end Darren Howard. With no linebackers worthy of this pick, the Saints go to the next biggest need and get Johnson. He's another player who has really only had one "star" season, when he became a full time starter in 2004 for Florida State. That, along with some injury and off-the-field concerns, makes him a risky pick. But he has great quickness, and can be another quality cog in the Saints run defense.

17. Cincinnati Bengals – Erasmus James, DE, Wisconsin
His 40-yard dash times disappointed some people, who think he's going to have a harder time beating tackles in the NFL with a speed rush. He had some health issues in college. But James has good size and athleticism, and the Bengals need someone on the other side of Justin Smith. Still needing quality at defensive tackle, the Bengals will look at USC's Shaun Cody here too, but James will be too good to pass up.

18. Minnesota Vikings – Marcus Spears , DE/DT, LSU
Spears likely would go higher in the draft if an ACL injury hadn't hindered his workouts before the draft. He might work out on March 31, and that could change his status. For now, Spears' size (6-4, 307) gives him a lot of flexibility as an end or tackle, and would make a nice addition to the depth of the defense the Vikings are building. A former star basketball player in high school, Spears isn't super fast, but he is quick and athletic – both valued traits along the defensive line. He saw time at tight end and fullback as a freshman for LSU.

19. St. Louis Rams – Jammal Brown, OT, Oklahoma
After the nuclear meltdown with Kyle Turley, the Rams need to address their situation at tackle. Brown was a three-year starter for the Sooners, and made steady improvements along the way, especially physically. He has enough size to play in the NFL (6-6, 316), though he could easily add another 10-15 pounds in the NFL. Like Florida State's Alex Barron, some question his intensity. Overall, most think he can be a good tackle, but not develop into a Pro Bowl level talent.

20. Dallas Cowboys – Roddy White, WR, Alabama-Birmingham
He is a major vertical threat, with great speed and good playmaking skills down the field. White impressed a lot of people while showing off his skills at the combine and Senior Bowl. He hasn't played a ton of major competition, but that might not matter given his set of skills. The Cowboys could use a downfield threat, especially with Drew Bledsoe in the fold.

21. Jacksonville Jaguars – Fabian Washington, CB, Nebraska
It would be a total shock if Jacksonville didn't address its need for a cornerback with this pick, and Washington should be the best one available at this point. He's easily the fastest cornerback in the draft, running sub 4.3 second 40-yard dashes. But he's got some issues, especially his size (5-10, 188), which hurts against bigger receivers and in run support. Then again, the Jaguars don't need him to develop into a No. 1 cornerback. They need a solid No. 2, and Washington has the skills to accommodate that.

22. Baltimore Ravens – Mark Clayton, WR, Oklahoma
This pick could be influenced by what happens with free agent defensive end Marques Douglas, who could still return to the Ravens. If Douglas departs, Baltimore could go with USC's Shaun Cody, who could play defensive end or tackle. If Douglas returns, Baltimore has the flexibility to add to its depth at receiver with Oklahoma's Clayton. Interestingly, Clayton is not totally unlike free agent signee Derrick Mason. He doesn't have great size or burning speed, but has great hands, is very productive and runs good routes. He could be a nice third option behind Mason and tight end Todd Heap.

23. Seattle Seahawks – David Pollack, DE/OLB, Georgia
After losing Chike Okeafor, Seattle could use a defensive end who was one of the premiere pass rushers in the college game. His 40-yard dash times left something to be desired, and he lacks the size to be an overpowering end. Still, Pollack did nothing but make plays with Georgia. There are all kinds of opinions about the role he could fill in the NFL, whether it is as a traditional end in a 4-3 scheme, or an outside linebacker in a 3-4. After last season's spate of injuries, he would be a nice addition for the Seahawks, and a steal this low in the draft.

24. Green Bay Packers – Thomas Davis, S/OLB, Georgia
The Packers could use help at either safety or linebacker, and that makes Davis a perfect candidate. He divided his time up at Georgia as a starter at either safety or linebacker, and was a big-time playmaker at both positions. His 40-yard dash times left something to be desired, and most think Davis is best suited to be a linebacker in the NFL. He is a major league hitter who would compliment Packers linebacker Nick Barnett.

25. Denver Broncos – Demarcus Ware, DE/OLB, Troy
Ware is the next best flex linebacker/defensive end behind Maryland's Shawne Merriman, and should slide right into the outside linebacker spot as the Broncos make the transition to a 3-4 defense. He has some speed and is very athletic, but could struggle making the transition to being a full time linebacker, especially in coverage. His lack of experience against upper level competition is a concern, too.

26. New York Jets – Shaun Cody, DE/DT, USC
One of the most coveted high school players in the country, Cody was a four year starter for the Trojans. Though he doesn't have the speed to be a pure pass rushing defensive end, he's got skills to attack the quarterback from the interior line. Some teams think he could get bigger and play permanently on the inside in the NFL, while others think he's going to have to be rotated back and forth between defensive end and tackle. The Jets need someone to fill the gap left by departed defensive tackle Jason Ferguson.

27. Atlanta Falcons – Anttaj Hawthorne, DT, Wisconsin
The Falcons have a defense that is light on its feet and could use some young defensive line depth, and Hawthorne solves both of those problems. Though some might consider this a reach after Hawthorne's poor times in the 40-yard dash, he was a dominating interior lineman in college, jumping in as a freshman and stringing together 41 straight starts for the Badgers. He drew consistent double teams in college.

28. San Diego Chargers – Jerome Mathis, WR, Hampton
With all of the other quality receivers off the board, the Chargers would have to take a little risk on Mathis to round out their depth at receiver. But considering his speed (sub 4.3 seconds in the 40-yard dash) and the ability he showed against players at the Gridiron Classic, he might be worth the gamble. He also impressed at the combine. He's had some off the field issues and there is a concern about his competition level.

29. Indianapolis Colts – Channing Crowder, ILB, Florida
An instant starter as a true freshman for the Gators, Crowder is the cream of a weak crop of inside linebackers. He oozes athleticism, but scouts complain that he loses focus at times. He's had some issues off the field and wasn't the most disciplined player under former Florida coach Ron Zook. He can cover a lot of area and plays faster than his 40 times, and seems a good fit for the Indianapolis defense.

30. Pittsburgh Steelers – Heath Miller, TE, Virginia
Once thought to be a top 15 pick, Miller lost a lot of ground because of multiple concerns. Critics complain that he has poor blocking skills and lacks speed. Some believe he'll never be able to block well enough to make him an every-down tight end. There are also some worries about his health after a sports hernia kept him out of the combine. All of those things aside, Miller has fantastic hands and would give Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger a huge target in the passing game.

31. Philadelphia Eagles – Khalif Barnes, OT, Washington
A big offensive tackle that could replace Jermaine Mayberry. Some think Barnes could bulk up to 320 pounds on his 6-6 frame. Physically, he's top notch. But the major concern is his commitment, and the belief that Barnes will need a taskmaster as a coach on the next level to keep him motivated. The Eagles have shown special interest in him, and he would clearly fit a need.

32. New England Patriots – Odell Thurman, ILB, Georgia
New England has showed a lot of interest in Thurman in workouts and the combine. The inside linebacker spot has become the top priority with the health issues of Tedy Bruschi and departure of Roman Phifer. Thurman's 40-yard dash times aren't great, but scouts say he attacks the line of scrimmage like a wrecking ball. Physically, he looks great, but he has a lot of refining to do. He's a top notch tackler and can shed blocks. He has had some off-the-field issues and was punished a handful of times while at Georgia for violating team and academic standards.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:26 AM   #54
sike
The Preacha

Roddy White???? I have not even heard that name in the first round before! Does anyone know this guy?

Old 03-31-2005, 12:01 PM   #55
dalmations202
Diamond Member

I don't get why everyone thinks that Dallas will draft a WR in the first round.

They have a burner in Glenn, and a posession in KJ. They have a descent WR in QM. They have young 2/3 years guys. I know they will need one soon, but first round? ?

I also don't think they take a OT first round. Too many "good not great" guy already on the team.

They really need impact players on the D. Why wouldn't they take the first 2 picks to solidify that side of the ball?

Old 03-31-2005, 12:13 PM   #56
sike
The Preacha

I think for the most part the "experts" are grabbing at straws, puppy. The Boys could use a playmaker at the WR and I'm sure that's what their looking at. Also, the WR spot is pretty old at the 1 and 2.

Old 03-31-2005, 05:09 PM   #57
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
I think for the most part the "experts" are grabbing at straws, puppy. The Boys could use a playmaker at the WR and I'm sure that's what their looking at. Also, the WR spot is pretty old at the 1 and 2.
I agree that they need a playmaker out there, but what is Keyshawn, what is Glenn. Both were very high draft picks with skins on the wall. Morgan is coming around I hope. Yes, they are getting old, but hey Dallas does not have a 2nd DE with any kind of ability. They really need to pick up 2 just in case one of them turns out to be a Wiley. They also could use another LB, and maybe a high pick Safety. All these are much higher needs than a WR that at best will be the #3.

Get the WR next year. They have a few young guns that may turn out as it is. Draft for DE, LB, DT, FS with the top picks. I just don't see the needs in the other areas. I mean, I would take a flyer starting in the 2nd round, if I saw the potential maybe, but the first round, IMO should be starters to the front 7 of the DL.

Old 03-31-2005, 06:01 PM   #58
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

They definitely need a WR; they don't have anyone with blazing speed anymore since Glenn is getting old and coming off an injury. Troy Williamson will be really good in the pros, with the kind of speed the cowboys lack at WR.

If I was the Cowboys I'd take Merriman at 11 unless DJ somehow is there and than trade the 2nd first rounder for like the 23-27 pick and a late round draft pick. Than I'd draft Troy Williamson, and send the 2nd round pick + new pick acquired to New Orleans for Howard. In the 3rd round I'd get a corner willing to switch to safety or a cover safety.

If this happens the cowboys solve their holes at Safety, Linebacker, DLine, and WR and still have a couple picks left.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:08 PM   #59
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

How about that safety man with the second pick? I forget his name. I've seen in the late first round of some drafts. Or maybe, if they would be interested in him, try to get him by trading down from 20 and picking up something else.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:36 PM   #60
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
How about that safety man with the second pick? I forget his name. I've seen in the late first round of some drafts. Or maybe, if they would be interested in him, try to get him by trading down from 20 and picking up something else.
If you're talking about Thomas Davis from Ga. he's basically Roy Williams in that his strong point is playing near the line of scrimmage. Broodny Pool the type of play making coverage safety that we need, but personally I wouldn't spend a 2nd on a safety.

Old 04-01-2005, 12:00 PM   #61
chumdawg
Guru

Yeah, that's the guy I was thinking of, Brodney Poole.

We really need some help at safety. How else we gonna get it?
Old 04-01-2005, 01:21 PM   #62
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Both safeties from OU? Greatness!

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 01:39 PM   #63
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

Roddy White is a burner...he had a Bledsoe kind of QB in Hackney in college...aka, a guy with an enormous arm. sometimes it looked like White was the only guy on the field that could catch up with the lasers Hackney was tossing out.

either him or Williamson would be good choices, but I really like Channing Crowder. he's got the most raw potential of any defender in this draft...if my memory serves me, he had a 20+ tackle game last year.

also, another guy to watch out for is the WR from Howard...I'd try to trade into the early second to get this guy. duplicate 4.2's.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:47 AM   #64
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

My affinity for Crowder is definitely well known. I think he'll be incredible (better than DJ).
Old 04-02-2005, 03:00 PM   #65
endtroducing
Golden Member

he will. bank it.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:11 AM   #66
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Mikey Spagnola says Merriman with the 11th and a WR at 20.
I say DJ drops to 11 and Cody at 20 with Matt Jones taken with the 2nd rounder.

Who do you think Dallas should/will take in the first/second rounds?

Old 04-05-2005, 10:20 AM   #67
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I'd LOVE for Dallas to take Matt Jones. But if they wait til the second round, he'll be gone. He's the fastest riser out of anyone out there. Almost assured of being taken in the 1st round now.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:32 AM   #68
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I'd be shocked if Matt Jones is a first rounder at a position he's never played, the Chris Mortensen hype machine notwithstanding...
Old 04-05-2005, 11:46 AM   #69
endtroducing
Golden Member

4th round, imo
Old 04-05-2005, 12:35 PM   #70
chumdawg
Guru

If the Cowboys draft him, I'm sure they would put him to good use on special teams while trying to develop him as a receiver, or possibly even a safety. He might also free a roster spot by being the emergency third quarterback.

You wouldn't think the Cowboys would be interested at 20. But if they truly are looking at a WR at that spot, and this kid is rocketing up the draft boards to late-first/earely-second round...why not?
Old 04-05-2005, 01:47 PM   #71
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
why not?
becasue he's never played receiver and we can't afford to miss on either of those two 1st rounders.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:13 PM   #72
chumdawg
Guru

From what I've read, the guy is probably a good enough athlete to pick up receiver pretty damn quick. I don't think any recevier we draft would come in right away and be the #1 guy on this team. Johnson, Glenn, and Witten are going to get a lot of balls thrown their way already.

Of course, this probably means that you wouldn't think we would go WR at 20 anyway, if we needed to contribute immediately. But if that's what they want to do, I think they can afford a year or so to teach the guy the game. Don't you?

But regardless, I could see him making an immediate impact on special teams. You know that Big Bill values special teams highly.

Let's say they get the defensive end they want at 11. Do you think there will be a "can't miss" LB or WR or OT or S on the board there at 20? We might miss with whoever we take. It wouldn't be bad to take a guy with tremendous upside, would it?

P.S. I read on CNN "movers" story today that Dan Cody seems to be sliding, maybe out of the first round.

Also...if we draft a WR, what can we get for Quincy Morgan in trade?
Old 04-05-2005, 02:34 PM   #73
dalmations202
Diamond Member

In the Matt Jones arena......He will go in the top 2 rounds. The reason I like him, is that he has speed, and arm strength. What a 3rd down and Red Zone weapon. Special teams, H-back, emer QB, Goal line QB, WR. He would be slash when slash was good. He would be a weapon. Inside the 5 with him at QB he could roll, pass, or hand-off like McNabb and Vick do to us now. He could fill many roles.

PS: If Dan Cody is available from 20 down -- Dallas would be wrong IMO for not taking him.

If they get DJ at 11, and Dan/Sean Cody at 20 -- then they keep the 4-3 moving DJ to weak side LB, Brady at Strong, and Dat at MLB.
They are strong again, as long as Dan/Sean Cody can get a rush. I like both guys and think either will make good players in the NFL.

Old 04-05-2005, 04:00 PM   #74
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

#11 will be Barron if he's still there. OT is the hardest weakness to fill, and if the #1 OT is there, I think they'll get him.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:10 PM   #75
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

OT isn't one of our biggest problems so need to waste our #1 on it. Linebacker, DE, or Wr and maybe a (cover) safety.

Also the cowboys don't need to reach for Matt Jones, he's not a sure thing. In the 2nd round I'd think about him but in the first I'd forget about him. He has all the physical tools but lacks experience at WR and is a project so he could be a bust waiting to happen.

#11- Merriman- solves our LB problem.
#20- Troy Williamson- Fastest receiver in the draft with great hands, exactly what we need.
2nd Rounder- Try and trade it for Howard, or take a chance on Jones if the scouts really see something in him. If they don't than draft a cover safety or trade down for more picks.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:34 PM   #76
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Chum - guess your tolerance for risk is a little higher than mine. I just couldn’t rationalize spending a first round pick on somebody to play a position he’s never played before. Over the years, NFL waiver wires have been littered with players that despite having the measurable couldn’t play the position. OK Jones and tall and fast, but can he run routs? Can he catch…he showed at the senior bowl that he could make the spectacular catch, but can he make the routine catch game in and game out? Will he stay in the game mentally despite only having his number called a few time per game? There are questions with any draft pick but with this kid there’s an additional layer of uncertainty.

Not that it can’t work out. If NFL teams were allowed to redraft last year Antonio Gates would have been a first rounder. I’m just not willing to gamble a first rounder trying to find the next Gates. This draft is too important to our future.

As far as the receiver of choice being our number one option next season, I wouldn’t say that’s a requirement. More realistically I want somebody who can contribute right away and I think the your chances are much better with a guy who doesn’t have to be taught the basics of the position.

Where do you see him contributing on special teams? I ask because you don’t have many 6’5 players on special teams. Plus I don’t that that as much consolation. I want players in the first round…I’ll fill out my special teams on day 2.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:15 PM   #77
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

But Jones has played WR before...at the senior bowl, where he outshined EVERYONE. He's been the talk of the NFL every since then, even Kiper has started to give him credit. I'd take Matt Jones before I'd take someone like Mike Williams. Bigger and faster already...and Matt Jones has INCREDIBLE hands. I don't think he'll end up with the cowboys, and I think they'll regret that. He'll end up in St. Louis, New England, or Pittsburg if you ask me. And he WILL end up going in the 1st round.

OH - and what the heck is a sure thing? Ryan Leaf? Tom Brady? 1st round? 6th (i think) round? The point, I think, is that Jones is the best athlete in the draft, bar none. You take the time and effort to teach an athlete like Matt how to be a receiver, 'cause if you do, it pays off huge.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:41 PM   #78
endtroducing
Golden Member

you gotta be kidding me about taking Jones before Mike Williams. seriously. he won't be a first round pick.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:27 PM   #79
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
at the senior bowl, where he outshined EVERYONE
Lets not go overboard. The Matt Jones hype machine is running at full force so in the interest of providing some perspective, let me post his Senior Bowl review from Scouts Inc. and compare it to Mark Clayton's.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Jones was the most intriguing prospect to follow during the 2005 Senior Bowl, as he made the transition from college QB to WR during the practice week. His nonchalant attitude and seeming lack of hustle drives coaches crazy but he's a much better fit at WR than he is at QB in that regard. Jones will need to put a lot of effort into the position change if he's going to make a successful one while elevating to the NFL level. He needs to improve his route running skills, consistency and technique as a blocker. Jones will never have great initial quickness and his top-end speed is just average for his size. However, with such a big frame and such good athleticism for that frame, Jones has the potential to develop into a weapon as a slot-WR/H-back in the NFL -- similar to the type of weapon that Joe Jurevicius was for Jon Gruden prior to Jurevicius' injuries. Jones' hands were far more consistent than we ever imagined and he clearly has a good feel for the passing game due to his experience at quarterback. Furthermore, Jones has such a long stride and deceptive speed that he can become a weapon after the catch in the NFL. After an impressive week of practice, if Jones can run in the high 4.5's and prove to NFL coaches and scouts during individual workouts that he wants to work at making the transition, it's not unrealistic to imagine a team taking a chance on Jones late on Day 1 of the upcoming draft.

Final Grade: B+

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clayton did exactly what he needed to do this week, which was to establish himself as one of the elite prospects at the Senior Bowl. From the very first practice, Clayton simply seemed to be on a different level than the rest of the receivers in this game. He doesn't have good size and he lacks elite speed, but otherwise he's the complete prospect. Clayton has good moves and great quickness to get off the line of scrimmage. He gets into his routes quickly, shows excellent body control as a route runner and doesn't need to gear down going into his breaks. He shows very good instincts and recognition skills versus man-to-man and zone coverage. His subtle moves and fluid hips allow him to consistently separate from man coverage. He doesn't have the size to win on a lot of jump balls, but he's a vertical threat nonetheless. He shows deceptive speed and the ability to track the ball down in the air. Clayton also shows burst and explosiveness after the catch. Most impressive, however, were his hands throughout the week of practice. He consistently "plucked" the ball on the run, adjusted to poorly thrown balls, came up with the ball in traffic and got to the deep ball downfield. If there were any questions about Clayton's value as a late first-rounder, they were answered this week.

Final Grade: A

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 04-06-2005, 02:54 AM   #80
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Well since Scouts, inc said it, it must be true.

I'm not saying that Matt should be taken above any of those guys, only that his physical attributes are better than Mike Williams. What did mike williams run in the 40? What was his vert? Hands are obviously Matt's downfall, but that's just because he's only had a few months to prove he has them.

Anyway, I guess when Mortensen says Jones is a great player it's just hype, but when...I don't know, Kiper says Jones isn't 1st round material, it's taken as scripture. There's a reason Kiper's considered a JOKE.

I'm not gonna argue about this because it's pointless. We won't know who was right for a few years. I'm just saying that Jones, in a few years, will be the better player.