Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 08-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #2481
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
Fluid and dub, that's how I initially took it as well, that the last "dream" was indeed limbo. And yes, i get that limbo was shared dreamspace. But they did also state that dying in the sedated dream brings you to limbo, not that you dream your way there. I think there is evidence to support both theories. Actually on the fence about it myself.
Is this the debate? Because I agree with you. I don't think you "dream" your way there. But the way they explained it, it's a shared space for everyone who dies while in a dream, much like "real" limbo in religion and mythology is a shared space of purgatory for anyone who dies in real life.

Maybe I'm not fully understanding the discussion/disagreement here, because it actually sounds like we're all saying the same things...

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 08-21-2010 at 01:22 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #2482
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Is this the debate? Because I agree with you. I don't think you "dream" your way there.
Right, we agree that death takes you to limbo. but what makes it debatable in terms of the movie is that Cobb and Ariadne don't die or hook themselves up to Fischer (i am 99.99999999% positive on this), so they are actually entering Cobb's dream.

So here is some evidence that could point to Limbo:
- Wash up on shore
- Cobb says Saito will be there soon (but is he only saying that because he knows he himself will die from the stab wound? Yes, I know he eventually dies from the drowning)
- Ariadne and Fischer actually die to move back up to Snow Dream
- Cobb does not wake up in Snow Dream with the explosives kick (he has to die in limbo to come back up)

Here is some evidence that could point to not Limbo:
- Fischer actually wakes up from the Defibrillator kick
- Ariadne actually wakes up from the explosives kick (both of their falls are of no consequence as they happen as the upper kicks occur)
- Cobb and Ariadne do not hook themselves to Fischer, but to Cobb (this is the big one. Again, i don't remember them being hooked up to Fischer at any time. (If they do (or say that they have) hook themselves up to Fischer, i am 100% in the Limbo boat. Unless, like i jokingly said in a post before, why is a machine even needed to go into another dream? The machine is just a dream at that point).

did i miss anything?

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 08-21-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:31 PM   #2483
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Old 08-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #2484
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Winner.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #2485
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Right, we agree that death takes you to limbo. but what makes it debatable in terms of the movie is that Cobb and Ariadne don't die or hook themselves up to Fischer (i am 99.99999999% positive on this), so they are actually entering Cobb's dream.

- Wash up on shore
- Cobb says Saito will be there soon (but is he only saying that because he knows he himself will die from the stab wound? Yes, I know he eventually dies from the drowning)
- Cobb does not wake up in Snow Dream with the explosives kick (he has to die in limbo to come back up)

- Ariadne actually wakes up from the explosives kick (both of their falls are of no consequence as they happen as the upper kicks occur)
- Cobb and Ariadne do not hook themselves to Fischer, but to Cobb (this is the big one. Again, i don't remember them being hooked up to Fischer at any time. (If they do (or say that they have) hook themselves up to Fischer, i am 100% in the Limbo boat. Unless, like i jokingly said in a post before, why is a machine even needed to go into another dream? The machine is just a dream at that point).

did i miss anything?
I see what you mean now. Interesting. I'll have to look at this when I see it again sometime.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #2486
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A genius or a hack director with no concern for plot holes.

For the record, I have liked all the movies of his I've seen.
Which ones have you not seen? A lot of people haven't seen his debut, "Following", which is a really excellent film.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #2487
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

I've seen all of them except "Insomnia". I have seen "Following", and liked it. LOVED "Memento" and "The Prestige".

And of course liked the Batman films.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:26 AM   #2488
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've seen all of them except "Insomnia". I have seen "Following", and liked it. LOVED "Memento" and "The Prestige".

And of course liked the Batman films.
Insomnia rules.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:30 AM   #2489
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this was pretty hilarious.

To quote Weird Al Yankovic, "I think the studios should give M. Night Shyamalan just 30 or 40 more chances to make another good movie- then THAT'S IT.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 08-27-2010 at 04:30 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:08 AM   #2490
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Insomnia rules.
Yeah, i'm not opposed to seeing it. Just never have.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #2491
LonghornDub

The Happening is one of the worst big-budget Hollywood films I've ever seen. It was astoundingly bad. Not just "Oh, that really sucked," but so bad that I was actually surprised that it could possibly be that bad.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #2492
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Insomnia is really good, but i only know the original. It´s from sweden or so ...
Old 08-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #2493
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I thought this was pretty hilarious.

To quote Weird Al Yankovic, "I think the studios should give M. Night Shyamalan just 30 or 40 more chances to make another good movie- then THAT'S IT.
I'd switch Unbreakable and Signs, which is closer to the trend line.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:14 AM   #2494
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
The Happening is one of the worst big-budget Hollywood films I've ever seen. It was astoundingly bad. Not just "Oh, that really sucked," but so bad that I was actually surprised that it could possibly be that bad.
If u look at it like a comedy instead of suspense, then it's a little good. I always thought mark wahlberg was one of the better actors when it came to picking roles, but this movie let me down.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:12 AM   #2495
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Then you've never seen Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:25 AM   #2496
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

The Happening was actually a pretty dang good premise... but it was a terrible movie.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #2497
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Actually I haven't, and I surely don't plan to.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:56 PM   #2498
LonghornDub

Quote:

- Wash up on shore

did i miss anything?
Ok, so I saw it again tonight, and they definitely don't show them on screen hooking up to Fischer, but I've got to assume that's what they did. It's the only thing that really makes sense--they had to go there to "retrieve" his subconscious so that Eames could wake him up with the Defib (Leo has a line to the effect of, "You can't just wake him up with the defib--his mind's already there). The only way this makes any sense whatsoever is if they hooked up to him, since neither of them had "died" at that point and therefore gotten to Limbo that way.

And the other thing is that they're all hooked up to each other in real life, which technically is the only thing that matters. It'd be a violation of the standard procedure we see throughout the movie, but really they can enter limbo any way they want, since none of it is real anyway.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:07 AM   #2499
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jhmPK1uoJA

That pretty much sums up my feelings about Tim Burton.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:41 AM   #2500
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

I like Tim Burton. You can argue that he does the same thing over and over, if you want... but since nobody else is doing THAT thing, it is still injecting something different into the mix.

Off the top of my head the movies of his that I have seen are Sweeny Todd, Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare Before Christmas, PeeWee's Adventure, Ed Wood....

I liked all of them
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:42 AM   #2501
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

I saw "Sideways" last night. It was enjoyable, and i liked it.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:05 AM   #2502
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

MORE INCEPTION SPOILERS

Quote:
Ok, so I saw it again tonight, and they definitely don't show them on screen hooking up to Fischer, but I've got to assume that's what they did. It's the only thing that really makes sense--they had to go there to "retrieve" his subconscious so that Eames could wake him up with the Defib (Leo has a line to the effect of, "You can't just wake him up with the defib--his mind's already there). The only way this makes any sense whatsoever is if they hooked up to him, since neither of them had "died" at that point and therefore gotten to Limbo that way.

And the other thing is that they're all hooked up to each other in real life, which technically is the only thing that matters. It'd be a violation of the standard procedure we see throughout the movie, but really they can enter limbo any way they want, since none of it is real anyway.
I do agree that it would make sense that they went into Fischer's head, and that it actually was limbo. But not showing it is super confusing. Cobb and Ariadne are not even close to his body when they go in, and they show Fischer waking up from the Defib not being attached to anything or anyone. I don't need to see them actually hook up the tubes. One scene of them laying next to fischer would be enough.

Yes, I know it's all a dream at that point, so why even need a machine (I made that point earlier). But the movie spends a large amount of time creating rules/steps/processes only to just abandon them at the end.

Thanks for confirming what happened in the scene.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 08-31-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #2503
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone at all excited to see Machete? This movie has great potential:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8rslIZV85U

Last edited by bernardos70; 09-02-2010 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Actual trailer posted
bernardos70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:31 AM   #2504
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Wife made me watch the American Airlines commercial "Up in the air" the other day.

"Meh."

The young brunette was marginally cute. Otherwise it was an uninspiring story that ended rather abruptly and seemingly without resolution.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:05 AM   #2505
LonghornDub

Quote:
MORE INCEPTION SPOILERS

I do agree that it would make sense that they went into Fischer's head, and that it actually was limbo. But not showing it is super confusing. Cobb and Ariadne are not even close to his body when they go in, and they show Fischer waking up from the Defib not being attached to anything or anyone. I don't need to see them actually hook up the tubes. One scene of them laying next to fischer would be enough.

Yes, I know it's all a dream at that point, so why even need a machine (I made that point earlier). But the movie spends a large amount of time creating rules/steps/processes only to just abandon them at the end.

Thanks for confirming what happened in the scene.
It's certainly an awkward/implausible explanation--"Hey, let's go lay over here 10 feet away from him, but hook ourselves up to him. And let's not show what we're doing." But that's all I got.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:12 AM   #2506
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

oh hey can you confirm one more thing, if you remember? When did they state that Eames needed to blow up the snow fort to create a kick? Was it before they decided to go after Fischer?

The reason I ask is because my initial plot hole was the whole "we need a kick at the level above and the level we're on" thing.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:34 PM   #2507
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Saw "The American" tonight. Great movie. Very Jim Jarmusch feel to it. Not for average American audiences (4 people walked out...due to lack of explosions I suppose).
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:26 PM   #2508
LonghornDub

Quote:
oh hey can you confirm one more thing, if you remember? When did they state that Eames needed to blow up the snow fort to create a kick? Was it before they decided to go after Fischer?

The reason I ask is because my initial plot hole was the whole "we need a kick at the level above and the level we're on" thing.
I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure they don't actually mention him needing to give a kick until after they decided to go after Fischer. But the thing is, they had the chargers with them, presumably for some reason...so if you need the kick a level above, and they went in not knowing they'd have to go after Fischer, why would they even have the charges?

Old 09-04-2010, 01:53 PM   #2509
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

exactly. that was my only real beef with the "kicks" in the movie, then we got off onto the "was it limbo" thing.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #2510
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back from watching Machete. IMO, movie of the year.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #2511
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo View Post
I like Tim Burton. You can argue that he does the same thing over and over, if you want... but since nobody else is doing THAT thing, it is still injecting something different into the mix.

Off the top of my head the movies of his that I have seen are Sweeny Todd, Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare Before Christmas, PeeWee's Adventure, Ed Wood....

I liked all of them
Other than Sweeny Todd (which I didn't like), all of the movies you named are more than 15 years old. Ever since Ed Wood it's all been the same recycled mediocre crap. Yeah, nobody else is doing that thing, but what if that thing is boring and uninspired?

Off the top of my head, the movies he's made in the past 10-12 years are

Sleepy Hollow
Planet of the Apes
Big Fish
The Corpse Bride
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Sweeney Todd
Alice in Wonderland

Same re-hash, sh*tty remake or adaptation over and over again. Okay, he branched out a little with Big Fish, but even that was almost a decade ago now (and I thought that movie was way overrated anyway.) And yes, The Corpse Bride was technically an original movie, but why the hell would anyone watch that movie when they can just watch The Nightmare Before Christmas. Burton just strikes me as one of those people who started off as a real artist and sort of became a hack. His films have basically become Burton by numbers. Believe me, I used to be the biggest Tim Burton fan you'd ever meet, but it has been a very long time since he's made something I thought was worth watching.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:05 AM   #2512
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Other than Sweeny Todd (which I didn't like), all of the movies you named are more than 15 years old. Ever since Ed Wood it's all been the same recycled mediocre crap. Yeah, nobody else is doing that thing, but what if that thing is boring and uninspired?

Off the top of my head, the movies he's made in the past 10-12 years are

Sleepy Hollow
Planet of the Apes
Big Fish
The Corpse Bride
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Sweeney Todd
Alice in Wonderland

Same re-hash, sh*tty remake or adaptation over and over again. Okay, he branched out a little with Big Fish, but even that was almost a decade ago now (and I thought that movie was way overrated anyway.) And yes, The Corpse Bride was technically an original movie, but why the hell would anyone watch that movie when they can just watch The Nightmare Before Christmas. Burton just strikes me as one of those people who started off as a real artist and sort of became a hack. His films have basically become Burton by numbers. Believe me, I used to be the biggest Tim Burton fan you'd ever meet, but it has been a very long time since he's made something I thought was worth watching.
He has sucked recently but he will always get a pass from me for making the first two batman movies that were AWESOME.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:25 PM   #2513
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
He has sucked recently but he will always get a pass from me for making the first two batman movies that were AWESOME.
Point taken. He will always have a special place in my heart for making me a lifelong Batman fan.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:31 AM   #2514
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

I went and bought several used movies. Tonight I'm watching I'm Not There, aka the Bob Dylan movie where half a dozen people play different conceptions of his persona.

I must say it was the, erm, "artsiest" film I've ever seen. It may take several watches for me to fully absorb it. It all makes good sense to me except for the Richard Gere portion, which I get on the surface but don't see the real use in. I liked the Phil Ochs reference the Cate Blanchett character makes, because it's so rare to see Phil (possibly my favorite artist, ever) get any mention anywhere, just as it was during his life.

When I get the time I'll watch Good Night and Good Luck. The other two I got were Frost/Nixon and A Mighty Wind, both of which I have already seen.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:43 AM   #2515
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Just watched "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo".. it was really, really good.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:04 AM   #2516
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

KHHHHHHAAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!!!!
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #2517
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Just watched the original Wallstreet for the first time last night in anticipation of the new one.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #2518
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Date Night got me laughing.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #2519
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

KHHHHHHAAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!!!!
The first star trek move is unwatchable.

The second one is one of the greatest Sci Fi movies of all time.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #2520
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
The first star trek move is unwatchable.

The second one is one of the greatest Sci Fi movies of all time.
This times a million. One of those rare occurrences where the sequel was better than the first.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annoying thread title, cadfail goes to work, flash fluff warning, got a bit fluffy in here, inception geeks..., stupidgookisstupid, what the fluff?