Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 01-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of
Default Arenas suspended indefinitely

Quote:
NEW YORK -- NBA commissioner David Stern has indefinitely suspended Gilbert Arenas, saying the Washington Wizards guard is "not currently fit to take the court" for a game.
Stern says in a statement Wednesday that Arenas' actions will "ultimately result in a substantial suspension, and perhaps worse."

Because Arenas violated NBA rules by bringing guns into Washington's locker room, Stern decided to punish Arenas now. He said the suspension begins immediately.

Stern says he originally planned to wait for the criminal investigation to be completed before taking action, and directed the Wizards to do the same.

Every game Arenas ends up missing during the suspension will cost him $147,208.

The suspension comes after multiple media reports over the weekend said that a dispute over a gambling debt led to a conflict between Arenas and teammate Javaris Crittenton.

Multiple sources told ESPN.com that an argument commenced during a card game on the team's overnight flight back to Washington from Phoenix on Dec. 19 and escalated into a heated exchange between Arenas and Crittenton. The Wizards had Dec. 20 off, but sources say hostilities between the two resumed Dec. 21 in the locker room on a practice day.

Sources say that Arenas, in response to what was said on the flight, placed the three guns on a chair near Crittenton's locker stall and invited him to pick one before practice on Dec. 21. Sources said that Crittenton subsequently let Arenas know that he had his own gun.

The Washington Post reported in Sunday's editions that Arenas, according to sources, was expecting Crittenton to see the guns on his chair as a joke based on the earlier back-and-forth on the plane, during which Crittenton allegedly said that he would shoot Arenas in his surgically repaired knee. But Crittenton, according to Post, reacted angrily and tossed one of the guns to the floor, saying he had his own.

In his statement, Arenas confirmed that the guns were brought out at the Dec. 21 practice.

"As I have said before, I had kept the four unloaded handguns in my house in Virginia but then moved them over to my locker at the Verizon Center to keep them away from my young kids," the statement read. "I brought them without any ammunition into the District of Columbia, mistakenly believing that the recent change in the D.C. gun laws allowed a person to store unloaded guns in the District. On Monday, December 21st, I took the unloaded guns out in a misguided effort to play a joke on a teammate.

"Contrary to some press accounts, I never threatened or assaulted anyone with the guns and never pointed them at anyone. Joke or not, I now recognize that what I did was a mistake and was wrong. I should not have brought the guns to D.C. in the first place, and I now realize that there's no such thing as joking around when it comes to guns -- even if unloaded."

Arenas met with law enforcement officials on Monday to explain why he had guns at the Verizon Center last month.

Arenas' lawyer issued a statement saying that the player met with federal prosecutors at the United States Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia and detectives of the Metropolitan Police Department for more than two hours.

At the NBA's request, the firearms language was bolstered during collective bargaining in 2005. Players are subject to discipline if they bring guns to the arena or practice facility, or even an offsite promotional appearance.
What an Idiot...
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

At first, I thought that's not so bad for a NBA player.

Then I thought man it'd be ridiculous stupid if someone did that at my work.

That's when I realized that things have become ridiculously stupid for NBA players.

There's a good article by Karl Malone about this though.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Call me crazy, but I don't see what the big deal is.

So what if he had a gun at work...it was stored and unloaded.

No doubt, other players knew he had it...I'ld be surprised if anyone owns up to this knowledge.

All this self-rightous talk coming out of some sports shows is pretty insane.

Was it a bit stupid of Arenas...sure, but not near as stupid as this over zealous reaction we are seeing.

If the PR machine hadn't overreacted then Stern would have let the court system do it's job before deciding on what to do with Arenas.

This is not much different than when Switzer had a gun in his Gym bag...having forgot that he put his gun in the bag in the first place.

To non-Gun Owners, this seams unbelievable...but for those who own guns and handle them on a regular basis, a gun becomes a tool, a thing...

A thing that deserves car and respect, but nevertheless it's a thing that is on a long list of things that people have.

Now personally, I have no dog in this fight, I don't care about Arenas, I don't care about the Wizards and outside of the Mavs I don't care for the NBA.

Heck, I don't even OWN a gun...but I believe in ones right to own one and I believe that Arenas is being used by a corrupt system that is afraid of Gun Violence.

I say that this is different than Plaxico Buress...after all, he carried a concealed weapon, loaded and shot it off in public.

Arenas, based on all reports had an unloaded weapon...hell, it might as well have been a water pistol...it's useless without the rounds...and provided that the reports to date are accurate and that their were no rounds in the building for Arenas or others to use then it's no big deal.

Final words, this is the Media, some individuals, some political groups/activists and the NBA OVERREACTING to what could have been dealt with IN-House.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Arenas isnt funny, he is an egocentric ass

Void him.

Story goes public and he went nuts on his twitter. Then some of his management writes him a lame ass Im sorry-Statement. Then he mocks the whole stuff and the NBA again during a game the next day. Now he is suspended and his management writes the next lame statement in his name...

Last edited by sefant77; 01-06-2010 at 08:15 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
Call me crazy, but I don't see what the big deal is.

So what if he had a gun at work...it was stored and unloaded.

No doubt, other players knew he had it...I'ld be surprised if anyone owns up to this knowledge.

All this self-rightous talk coming out of some sports shows is pretty insane.

Was it a bit stupid of Arenas...sure, but not near as stupid as this over zealous reaction we are seeing.

If the PR machine hadn't overreacted then Stern would have let the court system do it's job before deciding on what to do with Arenas.

This is not much different than when Switzer had a gun in his Gym bag...having forgot that he put his gun in the bag in the first place.

To non-Gun Owners, this seams unbelievable...but for those who own guns and handle them on a regular basis, a gun becomes a tool, a thing...

A thing that deserves car and respect, but nevertheless it's a thing that is on a long list of things that people have.

Now personally, I have no dog in this fight, I don't care about Arenas, I don't care about the Wizards and outside of the Mavs I don't care for the NBA.

Heck, I don't even OWN a gun...but I believe in ones right to own one and I believe that Arenas is being used by a corrupt system that is afraid of Gun Violence.

I say that this is different than Plaxico Buress...after all, he carried a concealed weapon, loaded and shot it off in public.

Arenas, based on all reports had an unloaded weapon...hell, it might as well have been a water pistol...it's useless without the rounds...and provided that the reports to date are accurate and that their were no rounds in the building for Arenas or others to use then it's no big deal.

Final words, this is the Media, some individuals, some political groups/activists and the NBA OVERREACTING to what could have been dealt with IN-House.
The issue isn't that he had a gun on him, but that he actually pulled it on someone.

This isn't a Second Amendment debate, ass.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
The issue isn't that he had a gun on him, but that he actually pulled it on someone.

Quoted for Truth (as well as the fact Underdog is on 92bDad's ignore list)
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:23 PM   #7
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

good i hate that guy.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:34 PM   #8
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Some people will politicize anything, no matter how irrelevant or inappropriate.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:54 PM   #9
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

If that is true Goodbye Crittenton

Quote:
According to two first-hand accounts of the confrontation, Crittenton responded to Arenas's action -- which included laying the four unloaded weapons in Crittenton's cubicle with a note that read, "Pick One" -- by brandishing his own firearm, loading the gun and chambering a round.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:03 AM   #10
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

edit?

Last edited by Windmill360; 01-07-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Windmill360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:56 AM   #11
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary View Post
Some people will politicize anything, no matter how irrelevant or inappropriate.
Go figure, a person I ignored politicized an issue.

I'll have to give him credit though, he has an opinion...so for some reason, if you have an opinion it becomes politics.

As for me, I happen to believe that people are quite simply overreacting to the whole thing.

Heck, I laughed one time, as I was at a trade show in Vegas around 2003...and a few of the stands were giving out water guns...being as I worked with kids at home, in our church...I thought I'ld bring these Clear Plastic Water Guns home to give out to the kids and have water gun fights...only to have them confiscated at the airport by security. I laughed it off...they were toys for crying out loud...

The Arenas incident so far, I have only heard that he had Guns stored in his locker with NO Bullets around. He pulled on out, knowing it was empty and used it mockingly at another player. (Poor taste to do so, but nevertheless it was harmless)

At worst, they should confiscate his guns and let him know that this is not allowed at this facility.

Heck make him take another Gun Safety class, don't give him his guns back and move on.

Albeit, I'm not surprised at the rash of reactions against Arenas...we live in a society that is quick to cast stones...this is saddly amusing...best of wishes to those who are directly affected by the incident...to the rest of us, we are like a bunch of posterior holes...we each have an opinion and none of them smell to good
Old 01-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #12
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't referring to UD.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 01-07-2010 at 12:03 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #13
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #14
92bDad
Platinum Member

Quote:
I wasn't referring to UD.
I can't imagine who else you were referring to.

I re-read the thread and the only one that brought up politics was the ignored one...which I would not have read or responded to if not for others who felt the need to quote him.

Thank you for feeding this into a political tit for tat...I continue to ignore the one...if you choose to play in his games, then so be it.

Have a great day.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #15
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I believe in ones right to own one and I believe that Arenas is being used by a corrupt system that is afraid of Gun Violence.
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
I can't imagine who else you were referring to.

I re-read the thread and the only one that brought up politics was the ignored one.

Have a great day.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #16
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Good LORD, you are out of hand!??!.. do you really work with kids? I just couldn't imagine placing my kid in the same room with you.

On a more precise note, never point a weapon at anything you don't intend to shoot. Basic safety law which forest man clearly glossed over because he was to busy talking about irrelevant off topic drivel.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:30 PM   #17
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

The most disturbing part of this thread is 92bDad works with children..
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #18
Underdog

Quote:
The Arenas incident so far, I have only heard that he had Guns stored in his locker with NO Bullets around. He pulled on out, knowing it was empty and used it mockingly at another player. (Poor taste to do so, but nevertheless it was harmless)
If I put an empty gun (that you didn't know was empty) to your child's head and pulled the trigger, would you start laughing?

Let's meet up and try it for real - I wanna see where the limits of good taste begin and end with you...

EDIT: you're a total hypocrite if you report this post to the mods as harassment (but you would certainly prove my point!)

Last edited by Underdog; 01-07-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #19
92bDad
Platinum Member

Dang some of you are pretty stupid!!!

First what Arenas did was STUPID...nobody argues that.

Second, the reaction to the incident has gone overboard.

Why sould he be suspended?

Fair punishment is to confiscate his guns, send him to some remedial training...and apply the same punishment to others who were involved in the "Joke"

Deal with this in house, it's clear that those not involved are not equipped to deal with the incident.

And Shaggy, yes I work with kids...coached kids, worked with them on and off through the church's AWANA program. I have a great reputation with the kids and the parents.

You wouldn't want to put your kids in a room with me...it's your choice, but you don't know me, so I really don't care. I would hope that you are the best judge for you own kids and that you have selected some quality people to influence your kids...that's all anyone could want.

Nice to know that on this board, folks can disagree on issues and still get along.

Have a great day my friend...you opinion is duely noted
Old 01-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #20
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Crittenton's gun wasn't empty.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:38 PM   #21
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

the story that I heard was that Arenas laid out some (unloaded) guns on a chair near the scrub's (crittendom?) locker with a note that said "choose one".

kinda stupid? ..... yeah
deserving of some punishment ? ...... probably
deserving of the BS circus that will ensue for the next 37 months? hmmm

personally I think the leagues are full of scat EVERY time they try to ride a holy horse and make a statement. They were full of crap in the response to the Artest fight.... baseball's post facto indignation on steroids has been more disgusting than their contemporaneous obvious ignoring of the issue... the Vick affair sanctimony was horseshit .... bah humbug.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #22
muzak

muzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of light

This one's good hehe.
muzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #23
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Why hasn't Crittenton been suspended yet?
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #24
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
Good point.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #25
mavsgirl4134

mavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to behold

First, I thought I read somewhere that Arenas doesn't even have a license to own a gun. That's against the law right? Second, if any "normal" person took a gun to work and jokingly did that to someone, I'm pretty sure they would be fired and put in jail. Guns aren't a joke. I don't care if he was just "joking" or if they weren't even loaded. It's not a joke and it's not funny. It's serious, and his ass deserves to be suspended, as well as the other guy. I don't see how anyone is overreacting about this.

Kinda off topic but I work at a hospital, and a few years ago there was a guy that was roaming the halls, most likely a family member of a patient but I'm not sure because I don't know the whole story. Anyhow, this guy goes to the back of the hospital where there is a gazebo and shoots himself. I was there that day and I saw the guy laying there from one of the hospital rooms. Now at that moment I didn't know anything about what was going on, I found things out later, but that guy had been in the hospital with a gun and he could have done anything. So really, it's not just a silly thing those guys did.

92bdad, I like you and I don't have a problem with you. I know you are a hardcore Republican and all that, but the government and the system isn't out to get everybody all the time.

Sorry for the hijack.
mavsgirl4134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:47 PM   #26
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

OK, i don´t know what guns have to do in a locker room ( except he wanted to sell them Plaxico ). That´s a case for the courts. But what´s the prob when GA aims a finger on his teammates ?
Old 01-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #27
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
Leads me to believe the NBA still wants to investigate the gun incident itself but that it was Gilbert's unapologetic attitude set Stern off whereas Crittenton has maintained he's innocent and that these are false charges.

watch your thoughts, they become your words

Last edited by rabbitproof; 01-07-2010 at 06:16 PM.
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #28
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, part of being employed in a company is knowing its policies (but, but, but David Stern isn't his boss! yadda yadda etc), and if it wasn't clear from all the changes David Stern has made in the last few years about off-court incidents, I'll spell it out for you: he's trying to make the league's image cleaner, more family friendly, more of an E-rated product, not an MA-rated product. If you knew your boss (but, but, but David Stern isn't his boss! yadda yadda etc) didn't like it when you brought guns to the office, or otherwise do something to damage the image of the very product he's trying to market, would you try him by doing that very thing? He deserves it all because he's a complete fool, and a fool and his money shall soon be parted.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:33 AM   #29
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
you opinion is duely noted
Come on, let's just settle this over a game of five card DRAW!

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #30
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Your duel challenge has been dually noted (for redundancy).

Last edited by bernardos70; 01-08-2010 at 11:01 AM.
bernardos70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #31
MX425

MX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to all

Agreed MavsGirl. If I brought my empty gun to work today and set it on a desk of a coworker I would be fired and escorted from the building. You cannot create a hostile work environment, or act in a manner that may cause panic. Maybe Stern shouldn't have suspended him, but only because the Wizards should have banished him from the team until this legal matter was settled.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #32
92bDad
Platinum Member

My issue is more with the "Public Nature" of this.

I'm in favor of keeping things in-house, and out of the court of public opinion.

If the Wizards who employ the two players involved decide to take action, then it become public. If the NBA decides to take action, then it becomes public.

But for this to become public and see the so-called self-righeous indignation trigger a reaction by the league...something is wrong with that picture.

Either have the guts to do something from the Wizards perspective or the League's perspective BEFORE it ever becomes a story.

The problem is that the League is reacting to public opinion and not the incident itself. Which shed's some light on the league and it's inability to do the right thing based on the individual Character of those leading the league.

In otherwords, they are punishing, because they fear that if they don't they will lose money...so at the end of the day, Stern is all about money and not about doing the right thing from the start.

Personally, I have stated what I would have done...given the information we have. Like I have said, what Arenas did was stupid, but I don't see the need to suspend him at this time. Take his guns away, get him through some additional training...use counseling to get his state of mind and see if he understands what he did and why it was wrong...as well as the other guy.

Thus the reason to keep this incident in house...now that it's out, it's no longer in the control of those personally involved and it gets blown way out of proportion.

There appears to be a lynch-mob mentality and all they want to do is crucify one guy as if he himself took down the twin towers.

Besides, isn't there some other issue that could impact the game even more...this argument was over some "Gambling" debt. Does the NBA want to be associated with it's own players and Gambling?

This appears to be an issue of nearly everyone, including myself...jumping to some quick conclussions and then going with the pack in terms of judging someone.

Do we see the same outrage when a player gets a DUI...or when anyone gets a DUI, do they get Fired on the spot? They too could have easily killed someone...what about the bartender who served up the drink...should they be fired because a guest got a DUI...their action could have resulted in someone getting killed?

Most of us here, if not all of us here, have NO influence on this issue...let alone any personal involvement...so why are we so quick to judge and sentence someone?

Then again, it is our right to simply have an opinion and for others to agree or disagree...that my friends is the beauty of posting on message boards.

Oh and by the way, comparing an NBA Locker room to the workplace that you and I enjoy, is two totally different worlds and most of us, have trouble understanding the differences.

Have a great day young friends.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:38 PM   #33
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX425 View Post
Agreed MavsGirl. If I brought my empty gun to work today and set it on a desk of a coworker I would be fired and escorted from the building. You cannot create a hostile work environment, or act in a manner that may cause panic. Maybe Stern shouldn't have suspended him, but only because the Wizards should have banished him from the team until this legal matter was settled.
I guess this is true today. I might get fired at the job I am presently in, if I did this, and he didn't see it as a joke. Then again, I might have nothing happen to me here.

I have had a few jobs where it would have been stolen if I left one out -- but nothing but maybe an anonymous thank you if you got that.

With this said, I am old enough that I used to carry guns to one class, lock them up in the school gun vault, and then during class we would go out to the range and shoot skeet. All sanctioned by the school, and done with the schools ammunition -- yes public school 4A in Central Texas. To me it is funny, the different attitudes there are about guns, depending on your background.

Times do change. My children who are in high school now, would be expelled for having a gun on campus, but there were guns in the back glass or behind the seat of probably 20% of the vehicles when I was in school. Surprise, Surprise -- no one got shot or anything like that. No one pulled one on another. Fist fights were fist fights and not gun or knife fights.

With this said, I think Arenas was wrong, but I don't think it is as big of an issue as the media has made it out to be - at least not from what I have read. Playing a prank by laying out a hammer would be treated much differently because of the thoughts of guns, but it is just as deadly if used improperly. Maybe if he put four pictures of Cars in his locker -- cars kill more people in the US every year than guns do.
Wrong yes, public image problem, yes. Is Stearn worried about the guns, or the image of the NBA -- guaranteed, the image. This is a PR nightmare, with the substance really being what went on between the two. Arenas will be led to the slaughter, but in the end -- guns don't kill people, people kill people -- and the gun is just a tool that many people are SCARED of. Fear is what will cause this to be a major issue, instead of the minor one it really is.

Now, if guns were actually drawn, etc......that is a different story about men who are threatening each other. If you laid 4 guns in my chair though and said to pick one -- my preference is the Desert Eagle in .44 mag -- but I'd basically take any .45 acp in the 1911 or clone style. The other guy should have taken one, handed the other three back, and said thanks for the gun, IMO.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #34
Underdog

Quote:
I'm in favor of keeping things in-house, and out of the court of public opinion.
It's a legal issue. The cops are investigating. It's 100% public.

Also, you don't think the fans that pay this man's salary should have an opinion?

Old 01-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #35
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

why wouldn't you take the DE in .50? I'm in love with the .40 round fyi
Old 01-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #36
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
With this said, I am old enough that I used to carry guns to one class, lock them up in the school gun vault, and then during class we would go out to the range and shoot skeet. All sanctioned by the school, and done with the schools ammunition -- yes public school 4A in Central Texas. To me it is funny, the different attitudes there are about guns, depending on your background.
Somehow I don't think Gil shoots skeet!

Hell, he probably doesn't even have it for self defense - he strikes me as the type who loves the material aspect of a gun, no different than flashing a little bling.

I agree that different mindsets make for different kinds of gun owners, but all gun owners should be responsible gun owners (no different than car owners, since either one can kill if proper judgment isn't exercised).

Old 01-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #37
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX View Post
why wouldn't you take the DE in .50? I'm in love with the .40 round fyi
I already handload and shoot the .44, but don't have an automatic in it.

The .50 seems like a bit much -- (lol) like the .44 isn't most of the time. I use one of mine for deer hunting sometimes, and it is good out to 100 easy from a revolver. Makes for some fun, but I seldom use it anymore.

I am going to have to play with the .40 soon. My B-N-L just got one, and I'll borrow it after the new wears off for him, and then actually put it to use.

I'll have to see what it does to a deer to see how well I'll like it. I tend to judge a gun by how it carries, and knocks down deer sized animals.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 01-09-2010, 07:12 PM   #38
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Somehow I don't think Gil shoots skeet!

Hell, he probably doesn't even have it for self defense - he strikes me as the type who loves the material aspect of a gun, no different than flashing a little bling.

I agree that different mindsets make for different kinds of gun owners, but all gun owners should be responsible gun owners (no different than car owners, since either one can kill if proper judgment isn't exercised).
You are probably correct here. This is why I am sometimes cautious with my replies, because everyone just doesn't see things the way I do sometimes.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:12 PM   #39
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdeSo1RLaiA

what an idiot
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:14 AM   #40
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
I already handload and shoot the .44, but don't have an automatic in it.

The .50 seems like a bit much -- (lol) like the .44 isn't most of the time. I use one of mine for deer hunting sometimes, and it is good out to 100 easy from a revolver. Makes for some fun, but I seldom use it anymore.

I am going to have to play with the .40 soon. My B-N-L just got one, and I'll borrow it after the new wears off for him, and then actually put it to use.

I'll have to see what it does to a deer to see how well I'll like it. I tend to judge a gun by how it carries, and knocks down deer sized animals.
oh, well good for you man. You'd be surprised the .40 s&w kicks worse than a .45 acp. Not worse than a DE though! My buddy has a .45, and everybody including myself shoot more accurately with his .45 than with my .40. My girlfriend refuses to touch the .40 because it kicks too much. I like it though. I shoot pretty good with it, so i think it's just practice. Can't you change the barrel on the DE to a .50 if you wanted to? I only mention the .50 or the DE for that matter because that gun is always in movies especially Crank or Transporter..or movies with jason statham! good work man

Last edited by MavsX; 01-13-2010 at 09:17 AM.