Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-15-2002, 11:19 PM   #1
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I hope know one has posted this. Im nto sure if i should have posted it here but I felt since everyone wants KG for Finley Najera Buck Nick and Wang then will they still want him after this interview and feel teh same way.

Q: Are you overpaid?

KG: Hell no. If anything I'm underpaid, with everything I do. That's a ridiculous question. I have to do everything for this team.

Q: Are you tough enough to play in the Western Conference? Maybe Minnesota should move to the East.

KG: Man, I've been in the Western Conference for seven years. Holdin' it down. Nobody there scares me. Look at my numbers. You know my rap sheet.

Q: What are your numbers?

KG: Twenty, ten and five. Twenty, ten and five. Three years in a row. And I'm rounding down. Who else has done that?

Q: What does that get you?

KG: It gets you what it gets you.

Q: Does it get you out of the first round?

KG: We'll get out of the first round when everybody does their part. Players, coaches, management, everybody. I can't do everything by myself. It'll get us past the first round if m-----------s do their part.

Don't tell KG he's soft in the 4th.

Q: Word on the street is that you're soft in the fourth quarter.

KG: F--- you talkin' about? That's not what I hear.

Q: What do you hear?

KG: That KG is the m---------ing s---. Niggas know. My peers in the league know what I'm about.

Q: What have you learned about the fourth quarter?

KG: To not pass the ball if we're losing.

Q: Did it hurt you when your idols criticized you? [During the playoffs, Magic Johnson and Charles Barkley were highly critical of Garnett for not "stepping up" in the fourth quarter.]

KG: That was just them being d---s. They were just looking for a camera. Besides, they're not my idols anyway.

Q: Has Kobe ever dunked on you?

KG: That's a stupid question. No. Kobe has never dunked on me in his life.

Q: Are you and Wally better than Kobe and Shaq?

KG: [Long pause] No … it hurts me to say it but we're not. I just … [sigh] ... we just aren't.

Q: Why did you skip college?

KG: At the time I felt like going pro was the only way I was going to make something of my life. Besides college ain't s---. It's like slavery, they're trying to f--- the kids. You gotta get your education but I made a decision for me.

This past season KG made the All-Interview first team. This might just put him in the Hall of Fame.

After taking the questions, Garnett was filmed pacing around the table, asking the questions, to complete the "KG grills KG" aspect of the commercial. By 6 o'clock, he was exhausted.

"What you just saw was all me," he said. "That's just how I'm feeling right now. Now is the time. This is me, what you see. I feel like it's time for all the bull---- to stop. I'm ready to do my part."

Moments later, KG was in his Ferrari Spyder heading home to shower and change.

Robinson, the director, emerged from the set with a look of disbelief. "Man, that's a serious cat," he says. "That was pure KG. You just saw his real passion." (That passion is a bit muted in the finished commercial, but viewers will still get the point.)

Nine hours after I arrived at the gym, I was out of there. After a quick pit stop at the hotel I'm scooped up by Michael Moore, KG's pal and business manager of his Official Block Family clothing line. Destination: Ruth's Chris Steak House. They close at 10, and it's already 10:15. When KG's in the house, they close when KG leaves. He's on a first-name basis with all the waitresses and the chefs keep the kitchen open until our posse of 10 is way past stuffed.

A few years ago the T-Wolves used to eat here as a team 35 nights out of the season. Last season they ate here once. "It ain't like it used to be," says KG. Anyway, the staff is glad to see him again.

KG takes a seat at the head of the table. He's sporting a brand new Sixers Moses Malone jersey from the '82-'83 season. His mood banged a U-turn since the shoot. Gone is the junk-spewing interrogation suspect. KG and his boys are on total joke time.

The conversation is boisterous and there's a comeback for every cutdown. Topics shift from the greatest rapper of all time to Iverson's infamous crossover on Jordan when Bubba Chuck was a rookie. The table declares Tupac the best deceased rapper and Jay-Z the king of the living.

"They could be on this topic for hours," says Moore. But when someone says Tupac could have run for president in his heyday, everyone decides it's best to change the subject. How about boxing? "Mike Tyson invented the 30-second knockout," declares KG's boy, DJ Set Free.

"Yeah, but he also invented the get-your-ass-pummeled-by-Lennox-Lewis-and-get-knocked-the-hell-out-in-the-8th-round," KG quips.

He slaps shut his menu and orders the New York strip, lobster, a Caesar salad and a Coke. He's 7foot-1 and still growing. But his eyes are bigger than his stomach and he takes his leftovers home in a doggie bag.

After dinner, KG pulls aside one of his crew who has been especially quiet tonight. The kid looks way too young to hang with this crowd, but Garnett tries to make him feel accepted. His name is Michael Mason and he's 17. He's also KG's adopted son.

KG is feeling good and proceeds to rag one of the homeys for his recent lack of skill in the batting cage. He imitates all three strikes, nearly twisting himself into the ground in the middle of the restaurant. Next he's in somebody else's face about something, sticking his tongue out and doing some dance that's a cross between the funky chicken and a deranged bobblehead. But no one seems to notice. "We're used to it," says Free. "That's just him."

His friends will tell you this is when he's at his best. When he can be plain old Kevin. Not the Franchise. Not the Big Ticket. Not Da Kid or The Man. Just Kevin. The guy who thinks he's still on the asphalt playgrounds of Mauldin, S.C.

Our crew heads for the door 2½ hours after closing. Walking out in single file, Kevin is about mid-pack when his eyes get big. He spots the candy dish at the front counter. "Mints!" he exclaims. He reaches one of his Spalding-palming hands in the bowl and scoops out a massive helping and stuffs them deep in his pocket. Enough to last a month. I go to grab a few when his five-finger crane scoops again. And again. He presses his jeans against his leg, revealing a bulge of mints in his pocket the size of a football. "Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about," he says, as he bobs out the door to the Ferrari waiting by the curb.

I had no idea I could fit in a Ferrari. But here I am in the passenger seat with room to spare. KG zips his hat backwards and comfortably dips into the driver's seat. "Here, hold this," he says as he tosses the doggie bag in my lap. He fires up the beast and the stereo nearly blasts my face off.

KG lets out a satisfied chuckle. I meant to do that.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2002, 11:24 PM   #2
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I love KG he is one of my fav players in the league if not my fav but alot of what he siad in here was realy uncalled for. The part about his adopted son was nice but teh part abuot him not npassing the ball in the 4th when down or the part about he is underpaid he is talking worser than AI does. IS this the guy u guys want for the Mavs that will take us over the top? No wonder Twovles dont want him. I keep Finley NVe Wang Buck aNd Najera over this guy any day of the week.

1996-2005
Old 07-15-2002, 11:27 PM   #3
Cipherous

Cipherous is on a distinguished road

Where did you get this from? This doesn't sound like KG
Old 07-15-2002, 11:35 PM   #4
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

KG doesn't wanna pass the ball in the 4th? Well, kinda looked to me like he did this year [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] He's just pissed because people are dogging on him for not being a true team superstar, and he's saying now, "hey, I don't have the help, I'm gonna win it or lose it." If he had Dirk and Nash, he'd be passing the ball [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] If he was willing to pass to Wally in April... lol
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 11:37 PM   #5
Cipherous

Cipherous is on a distinguished road

Where did you get this from? This doesn't sound like KG
Old 07-15-2002, 11:42 PM   #6
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

I got it from ESPN.com. And Rhylan u are assuming that he will get along with Nash and Dirk. I dont tkae the risk of hurting to all stars to bring in a questionable one.

1996-2005
Old 07-15-2002, 11:58 PM   #7
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Well, since they got rid of there starting PG, Billups, then we might get a deal on KG. I doubt it, but they need a PG, and we have an extra one, NVE. So I say a KG and Nick trade with of course fillers. They need some cheap stuff and a point guard with Wally so how about we do it. Maybe a trade that involves Reaf and Nick or Barkley and Nick. Whatever it is, Dirk and KG would kill everyone that came onto the court, inside and out.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 11:59 PM   #8
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Meant, Bradley, sorry, drunk, thanks.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 12:04 AM   #9
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

He'd get along with Nash and Dirk. He gets along with everyone now, besides Wally.. and Wally's kind of a punk.

There's no evidence to suggest that he wouldn't play well with a couple of class acts like Steve and Dirk. The hard-ness is just cultivating an image... you know. Selling sneakers [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2002, 12:18 AM   #10
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<< He'd get along with Nash and Dirk. He gets along with everyone now, besides Wally.. and Wally's kind of a punk.

There's no evidence to suggest that he wouldn't play well with a couple of class acts like Steve and Dirk. The hard-ness is just cultivating an image... you know. Selling sneakers [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
>>

Your assumptions and excuses for KG are ridiculous. KG has always acted hard liek this ever sense he left High School. If he doesnt get along with Wally who is Minnies second option then im ASSUMING that he wont get along with Dirk or Nash or whoever is gonna the the 2nd option. KG isnt gonna take the back seat option he wants to be frotn and center.

1996-2005
Old 07-16-2002, 12:26 AM   #11
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

How can my assumptions be any more rediculous than yours? Do you know the guy? Come on, now. Who, besides Wally and Starbury, has KG even had a hint of a problem with? And there's rumblings now that Wally's a jerk and we all know Starbury's a punk and a half. So what's the dilly?

I imagine that the strain of having to be the man 24/7 isn't always fun and games, and it doesn't help when his only remotely good teammates have been guys like Wally and Starbury who think they're better than they really are.

All I'm sayin' is KG doesn't have a rep for being a bad teammate. He has a rep for acting like a badass, but so what? So do half the guys in the NBA and half the guys playing down at the park on the corner. Big deal.
Old 07-16-2002, 05:31 AM   #12
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

I support Rhylan here ...

KG is having troubles with Wally (and starbury, but no one gets along with starbury) because Wally pretends to be da man but obviously isnt when KG and the wolves need him to be (like I already explained in another thread)

KG will flourish with Nash and Dirk, just because he WILL be able to pass the ball in the 4th - which makes him even deadlier ...

And this Q&amp;A tells me: I like this guy.
Old 07-16-2002, 08:02 AM   #13
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

thumbs down, we don't need an AI wannabe.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 10:19 AM   #14
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

I'm with Rhylan. I read this article yesterday and if anything it made more interested in getting KG (although I still think its a pipedream, you must be drunk foglemann to think Minnesota wouldn't laugh Cuban out of the building for offering a straight NVE and filler for KG deal). It shows he wants to win, he's not satisfied with being the man on a mediocre team.

And the line about not passing in the 4th was obviously a reference to all the heat he took this last post-season *for* passing in the 4th. If he was on a team where he played with other legitimate options it wouldn't be a problem. KG has *never* been a problem as a team player in the NBA. All the criticism of him has been that he is too much of a team player and not taking over in the 4th like a franchise player sometimes needs to.

As for the junk he was talking, please. Dirk and Nash are generally more circumspect in public, but you don't think they are used to that? I posted the section from the Slam article earlier in the year about Dirk teaching Wang to say 'f--- you' and 'kiss my ass.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 11:43 AM   #15
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<< I support Rhylan here ...

KG is having troubles with Wally (and starbury, but no one gets along with starbury) because Wally pretends to be da man but obviously isnt when KG and the wolves need him to be (like I already explained in another thread)

KG will flourish with Nash and Dirk, just because he WILL be able to pass the ball in the 4th - which makes him even deadlier ...

And this Q&amp;A tells me: I like this guy.
>>

Wally didnt have any troubles with his teammates in college. Its just KG doesent want the show to take away from him or share it with anyone. As far as Marbury not getting along with his teammates thats not true at all if it was Suns would have never traded for him being they have Marion and Hardaway. If KG came here he wouldnt get along with Dirk or Nash just like he couldnt with Marbury or Wally its just gonna be a pattern.

1996-2005
Old 07-16-2002, 11:45 AM   #16
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

By the way has there ever been a trade that involved 5 players for 1? With 2 all stars involved? KG is staying right were he is because its impossible to trade him with his contract unless someone wants to give up there Shaq or anyone else up there in the ranks of highest paid.

1996-2005
Old 07-16-2002, 12:05 PM   #17
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

FilthyFin--

The story out of Minnesota re Starbury has always been that he was unwilling to take a backseat to KG, in terms of either $$ or marquis-billing. He got a chance to go back and play in front of the home-folk for mega-$$$, so he pretty much forced the issue. In NJ, Starbury was nearly universally loathed by teammates and management alike.

That said, the KG v. Wally he-said-he-said story sounds fishy. I think there may be some indiscretions on both sides, but KG is definitely sending the vibe that he doesn't want Wally encroaching on his spotlight--for whatever reason.

It's a pretty silly debate to talk about KG coming to the Mavs for Fin/NVE/etc., but here goes...

While pretty much any team would have to take the chance to get KG, I'm not sure that it would be a handsdown, slam-dunk, far-and-away improvement overall for the Mavs. The team would be sort of front-court heavy, imbalanced without a Fin-caliber player in the backcourt.

Plus, I have a strong sense that there would be vying for shots and starbilling in the frontcourt. If not, KG would just fade into a Ralph Sampson-like player, while Dirk went on to become the next Olajuwon-like story.

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 12:07 PM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

they wouldn't be frontcourt heavy. you have to remember that much of their front court players love to play on the perimeter
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 12:10 PM   #19
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<< Plus, I have a strong sense that there would be vying for shots and starbilling in the frontcourt. If not, KG would just fade into a Ralph Sampson-like player, while Dirk went on to become the next Olajuwon-like story. >>

This is exactly what I have been trying to say this whole time. People just expect for us to be a championship team if KG was brought here but we would have to do some much replacing it wouldnt make sense. And how could we do any replacing when we wouldtn have any money but an exception. We would have to get a reliable back up pg who can give Nash a breather and who can help us keep up with Bobby Jackson and Bibby. We would have to get a starting shooting guard or a backup being that we only have one shooting guard now which is Finley. We wouldnt have any more outside scoring options anymore other than Nash.

Anybody remember a guy named Scottie Pippen? When he came to the Rockets they were suppose to be a championship caliber but it didnt work out for either Rockets or Pippen and now Pippen is known as a has been.

1996-2005
Old 07-16-2002, 12:18 PM   #20
NYMavFan

NYMavFan is on a distinguished road

<< We wouldnt have any more outside scoring options anymore other than Nash. >>

What are you smoking? Just about EVERY player on this team is an outside scoring threat! (ok, a bit of an exaggeration but you get my drift)

KG would be an incredible addition to this team. No question about it. It's a pipe dream, for sure, but everyone here who is saying a nve or finley trade for KG would be a bad deal for the mavs is simply letting their emotions talk rather than thinking about basketball.

i like finley as much as the next guy, but shooting guards are a dime a dozen compared to player like garnett. if the wolves are ever stupid enough to even consider this kind of move, you do it in a heartbeat

NYMavFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 12:25 PM   #21
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<<

<< We wouldnt have any more outside scoring options anymore other than Nash. >>

What are you smoking? Just about EVERY player on this team is an outside scoring threat! (ok, a bit of an exaggeration but you get my drift)

KG would be an incredible addition to this team. No question about it. It's a pipe dream, for sure, but everyone here who is saying a nve or finley trade for KG would be a bad deal for the mavs is simply letting their emotions talk rather than thinking about basketball.

i like finley as much as the next guy, but shooting guards are a dime a dozen compared to player like garnett. if the wolves are ever stupid enough to even consider this kind of move, you do it in a heartbeat
>>

Well the trade I saw was proposed was Wang Buck Najera Finley and Nick for Garnett. What I was saying is that if we trade all of those guys Dirk would and Nash would be the outside shooters. But someone brought up the Ralph Sampson and Keem comparsion and I was thinking Dirk and Garnett in the middle and Griffen I guess at small foward and whoever will be shooting guard and Nash. Out of all those guys Nash is the most consistent and will hit it abotu 50% out of the time. Dirk can also hit a outside jumper but I was thinking he wuold be playing more of an inside game being that he is 7 foot.

1996-2005
Old 07-16-2002, 12:28 PM   #22
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

<< Dirk can also hit a outside jumper but I was thinking he wuold be playing more of an inside game being that he is 7 foot. >>

holy crap, have you seen a mavs game? dirk not only can &quot;hit a outside jumper&quot; he does. often. very often. dirk has a tremendous face to the basket game.
Old 07-16-2002, 12:29 PM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

filthy, you would still have Raef, Dirk, and Nash that could all hit from beyond three. the mavs would still have their:
best three point shooter (nash)
second best three point shooter (dirk)
and their
4th best three point shooter (raef)

and they'd still have wang if he resigns..

also, they would have other players that could hit the 18 footer in KG and griffin

with dirk, he'll always play some on the perimeter because he is so deadly from there..

that's what makes him great is his ability to hit the outside shot, dribble penetrate, and score from the low block
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 12:37 PM   #24
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<< filthy, you would still have Raef, Dirk, and Nash that could all hit from beyond three. the mavs would still have their:
best three point shooter (nash)
second best three point shooter (dirk)
and their
4th best three point shooter (raef)

and they'd still have wang if he resigns..

also, they would have other players that could hit the 18 footer in KG and griffin

with dirk, he'll always play some on the perimeter because he is so deadly from there..

that's what makes him great is his ability to hit the outside shot, dribble penetrate, and score from the low block
>>

This is all true but I thought the whole purpose of this trade is to play inside more rather than shoot jumpers? IF thats the case why make the trade in the first place other than get abotu 5 more team rebounds a game. I read another post were ti says the only way its possible to get Garnett is if Twolves wanna go younger it would be Finley, Nick, Buck, Wang, and Najera. Thats 5 players u have to replace for 1. How is it even possible to replace those players other than some scrubs who cant get a job on any other team? I have no problem with bringing in Garnett but this team would be a serious mess if lets say Garnett got hurt one game or Dirk or Nash there would be no one to step it up.

1996-2005
Old 07-16-2002, 12:43 PM   #25
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

It shows he wants to win, he's not satisfied with being the man on a mediocre team.

wants to win?

blamming everyone but yourself for losing seems kinda stupid to me
even if it's true you don't say it
Q: Does it get you out of the first round?KG: We'll get out of the first round when everybody does their part. Players, coaches, management, everybody. I can't do everything by myself. It'll get us past the first round if m-----------s do their part.

a winner or someone who wants to win would put the burden on theirself to improve and get it done, not come up with excuse after excuse.

If he came to Dallas and they lost, do you really need a fingerpointer in the locker room
Old 07-16-2002, 12:45 PM   #26
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<< It shows he wants to win, he's not satisfied with being the man on a mediocre team.

wants to win?

blamming everyone but yourself for losing seems kinda stupid to me
even if it's true you don't say it
Q: Does it get you out of the first round?KG: We'll get out of the first round when everybody does their part. Players, coaches, management, everybody. I can't do everything by myself. It'll get us past the first round if m-----------s do their part.

a winner or someone who wants to win would put the burden on theirself to improve and get it done, not come up with excuse after excuse.

If he came to Dallas and they lost, do you really need a fingerpointer in the locker room
>>

Just2121, agreed.

1996-2005
Old 07-16-2002, 12:55 PM   #27
NYMavFan

<< a winner or someone who wants to win would put the burden on theirself to improve and get it done, not come up with excuse after excuse. >>

except for one thing.

HE'S RIGHT

he brought it every single game, and everyone else on the team (except maybe chauncey who is gone now) failed to step up.

now he's mad because he's tired of losing

he's wants to win BAD and isn't afraid to show it

is there a problem here?
Old 07-16-2002, 01:19 PM   #28
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

<< he's wants to win BAD and isn't afraid to show it >>

<< is there a problem here? >>

Yeah that's a problem
do you think it makes the team better to basically tell everyone how bad they are everytime he's in the press
wouldn't it make more sense to acknowledge weaknesses and commit to improving those weaknesses
that what Dallas is doing, acknowledging that they need to improve defense and rebounding, and trying to improve it. Would you add someone who thinks their perfect and everyone but him should play better

you can be tired of losing and say something about, it just seems like he's saying all the wrong things
Old 07-16-2002, 01:33 PM   #29
NYMavFan

get a sense of context here

KG has been the &quot;nice guy&quot; for a very long time about his situation and his teammates. he's been constantly dubbed as TOO &quot;unselfish&quot; and not stepping up enough when the team needed him. he's obviously trying to shed that label now and his statements reflect that.

do you honestly think he'd complain about not having enough talent around him if he had dirk, nash and others around him?

it seems like you're misunderstanding mr. garnett here. pity.
Old 07-16-2002, 03:32 PM   #30
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

NYMavfan has got the point. KG's comments have to be taken in the context that for years he has been the posterboy for the unselfish superstar. Now he's simply stating the fact that everybody knows--the T-Wolves as a team and an organization are not good enough to get out of the 1st round as they currently are.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 03:42 PM   #31
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<< NYMavfan has got the point. KG's comments have to be taken in the context that for years he has been the posterboy for the unselfish superstar. Now he's simply stating the fact that everybody knows--the T-Wolves as a team and an organization are not good enough to get out of the 1st round as they currently are. >>

Well KG maybe to unselfish on the court but isnt to unselfish when it comes to money. He is the reason why they are in the mess they are in now and he should suffer in Twolve land till they can get it figured out. What can u do when u have a unselfish player and u pay him 120 mill that isnt Twolves fault at all its pretty much impossible to do anything and plus I know they are giving Terrell Brandon some bread too. And that interview doesetn look like heis trying to be a &quot;tuff guy&quot; it shows that he is arrogant and cares about himself rather than his squad. Nestrovic and chauncey billups arent leaving for the hell of it its more to it. And I dont see how u get out of interview taht KG is some angel lol.

1996-2005
Old 07-16-2002, 03:50 PM   #32
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Basketball isn´t an angels sport ...

Billups likely leaves because there is no room left in the spotlight. His problem. Think he´ll have more spotlight in Detroit? Dunno.

Nesterovic. I don´t think he´s any better than our centers, so who cares that he leaves? It´s the sound of money that comes to all big men ...

Garnett on an all-star team in Dallas, alongside Dirk, alongside Nash?

Gotta be a tough guy to be there and play your game. Juwan was not. Is KG? Take a look at the Q&amp;A
Old 07-16-2002, 03:57 PM   #33
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<< Basketball isn´t an angels sport ...

Billups likely leaves because there is no room left in the spotlight. His problem. Think he´ll have more spotlight in Detroit? Dunno.

Nesterovic. I don´t think he´s any better than our centers, so who cares that he leaves? It´s the sound of money that comes to all big men ...

Garnett on an all-star team in Dallas, alongside Dirk, alongside Nash?

Gotta be a tough guy to be there and play your game. Juwan was not. Is KG? Take a look at the Q&amp;A
>>

*looking back at the Q&amp;A*

When I go back and look at it I dont see a tough guy. I see a guy who has nothing else to do but blame his teammates for what the team does and how far they go. Duncan doesent do this and he is a better player than KG. But Kg gets the privlage? Uhh no I pass. I would love to have him here but im not gonna trade 5 players for him so he and Dirk can have a fight. I wonder what would have happen if the writer would have asked how does it feel to have Dirk score over 50 points on u in the first round of the post season.

1996-2005
Old 07-16-2002, 03:59 PM   #34
mpb319

mpb319 is a jewel in the roughmpb319 is a jewel in the roughmpb319 is a jewel in the rough

KG with Dirk and Nash would be fantastic....but it is a pipe dream at best.
mpb319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 04:55 PM   #35
Just211
Platinum Member

crackpipe dream

<< Gotta be a tough guy to be there and play your game. Juwan was not. Is KG? Take a look at the Q&amp;A &gt;&gt; >>

Talking tuff and actually playing tough are two different things
Do you not recall KG trying his hardest to score in the post against Dallas, he couldn't (at all) and that was Dallas

He does do a good job of making those tough faces though, he must practice doing that in a mirror or something
Old 07-17-2002, 03:31 AM   #36
NYMavFan

actually

i do remember garnett scoring quite a bit in the post against the mavs. as well as nesterovic, along with others. the mavs won because they outgunned the wolves, not because they shut down anyone with D, including garnett.

there's no reasoning with you garnett haters. he may not be the most ideal superstar to fill the mavs' needs, but given the choice between finley/nve and garnett... you choose garnett in a heartbeat. no hesitation.

and someone else mentioned that garnett was selfish to take his 120 million. what, are you telling me if soemone offerred you 120 million to play b-ball, you wouldn't take it? garnett's contract was given to him at a time when there was no luxury tax and no &quot;max&quot; contracts. he simply accepted what the wolves were willing to give him. is that his fault?

the wolves are in trouble for a variety of reasons, but garnett's &quot;selfishness&quot; is not one of them. he's not completely free from blame, but he is right about one thing--his supporting cast sucks. when wally is your second-best option, you really shouldn't be surprised when you get your ass handed to you in the first round year after year
Old 07-17-2002, 05:46 PM   #37
Just211
Platinum Member

you're right they would pull the trigger on it, KG's is a great player with a questionable attitude, but being a true Mavs fan I couldn't see Fin leave.

Old 07-17-2002, 05:50 PM   #38
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Boy talk about a difference in class. Alex Rodriguez states that this team is a failure and points the blame at himself. Garnett states that the team is a failure and it's everyone's fault but his.

Class act all the way..
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 06:20 PM   #39
threadkilla

threadkilla is on a distinguished road

Yes, but Alex was lying and KG was telling the truth.
threadkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 06:21 PM   #40
PeterVecseyisdumb

PeterVecseyisdumb is an unknown quantity at this point

<< actually

i do remember garnett scoring quite a bit in the post against the mavs. as well as nesterovic, along with others. the mavs won because they outgunned the wolves, not because they shut down anyone with D, including garnett.

there's no reasoning with you garnett haters. he may not be the most ideal superstar to fill the mavs' needs, but given the choice between finley/nve and garnett... you choose garnett in a heartbeat. no hesitation.

and someone else mentioned that garnett was selfish to take his 120 million. what, are you telling me if soemone offerred you 120 million to play b-ball, you wouldn't take it? garnett's contract was given to him at a time when there was no luxury tax and no &quot;max&quot; contracts. he simply accepted what the wolves were willing to give him. is that his fault?

the wolves are in trouble for a variety of reasons, but garnett's &quot;selfishness&quot; is not one of them. he's not completely free from blame, but he is right about one thing--his supporting cast sucks. when wally is your second-best option, you really shouldn't be surprised when you get your ass handed to you in the first round year after year
>>

I think minnesota offered KG a contract of about 100 million dollars. KG turned down the offer and minnesota ended up paying him about 20 million more dollars. Was there a salary cap back then? No. However, KG's contract was one of the big reasons why marbury left minnesota. Minnesota probably couldn't have payed marbury as much as KG. This caused marbury to be angry, since it damaged his ego. Now marbury, is on phoenix.

KG is partly to blame for the problems that minnesota has. KG is one of the best players in the nba, right now. However, his contract makes it tough for the twolves to sign anyone.

<< given the choice between finley/nve and garnett... you choose garnett in a heartbeat. no hesitation. >>

I agree.
PeterVecseyisdumb is offline   Reply With Quote