Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 09-22-2004, 10:42 PM   #1
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold
Default This is rediculous !!!

Don´t know if this has been posted yet. To me that´s just outright rediculous. Back to the McCarthy era??

Quote:
Cat Stevens refused entry to US
The British singer Yusuf Islam, formerly known as Cat Stevens, is due to be sent back to London after being refused entry to the United States.
The US authorities say the decision was made on national security grounds.

Mr Islam was on a flight from London to Washington when officials realised his name was on a "watch list". The plane was diverted to another US airport.

Muslim groups in Britain and the United States have criticised the decision, saying Mr Islam is a man of peace.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations said in a statement that the move "sends the disturbing message that even moderate and mainstream Muslims will now be treated like terrorists".

Mohammad Abdul Bari, deputy general secretary of the Muslim Council of Britain, said Mr Islam was a moderate man.

"It is a slap in the face of sanity. If prominent, well-known personalities are treated like this, then how can there be bridge building?" he said.

British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw is also understood to have raised the issue with the US Secretary of State in New York.

Mr Islam, who converted to Islam in 1977, was on United Airlines Flight 919 when it was diverted 600 miles (1000km), landing in Maine.

After being interviewed by US officials, he was denied entry into the US.

Terror concerns

Transportation Security Administration (TSA) officials said the access was denied "on national security grounds", without giving any further details.

A spokesman for the US Department of Homeland Security, Garrison Courtney, told the AFP news agency that Mr Islam's name "was placed on watch lists because of concerns that the US has about activities that can potentially be related to terrorism".

"More recently, our intelligence community has come into the possession of additional information that further heightens our concerns towards Yusuf Islam," he added.

Four years ago, Mr Islam was deported from Israel over allegations that he backed militant Muslims.

Yusuf Islam was born Stephen Demetre Georgiou in London to a Greek Cypriot father and Swedish mother.

As Cat Stevens, Yusuf Islam had a string of hits in the 1960s and 70s, including Wild World and Morning Has Broken.

He then abandoned his music career to devote himself to promoting Islam.

One high-profile activity was the founding of a Muslim school in London.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2004, 10:48 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE:This is rediculous !!!

Quote:
Four years ago, Mr Islam was deported from Israel over allegations that he backed militant Muslims.
He made his bed in the past. Now he gets to sleep in it. People do not have the right to enter the United States. He gave up his citizenship and he should not be allowed back in if he is suspected of backing militant groups.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 10:48 PM   #3
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I would hardly call barring entry to a major supporter, both financially and politically, of Hamas as going back to the McCarthy era. If you personally contribute to writing terrorist propaganda and directly fund terrorist operations, then we've no place for you in this country. However we do have a very nice facility for you to visit on the isle of Cuba.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:55 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: This is rediculous !!!

Last time I looked no one has a right to come into this country. He's suspected of supporting and funding terrorist groups, what's the problem.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 11:01 PM   #5
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It isn't just the US - two governments (at least) don't want him.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 12:00 AM   #6
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
I would hardly call barring entry to a major supporter, both financially and politically, of Hamas as going back to the McCarthy era. If you personally contribute to writing terrorist propaganda and directly fund terrorist operations, then we've no place for you in this country. However we do have a very nice facility for you to visit on the isle of Cuba.
He´s not a supporter of Hamas, nor of any other militant organisation. This is all just propaganda bullshit. Obviously it didn´t sit well with a lot of people that someone as famous as Stevens converted to islam. Rumors were spread.

The US however doesn´t see a problem in taking Stevens money that he puts into a number of differnet aid organizations. Two of those where founded by Stevens and have branches in the US, most notably the organization "small kindness"
Old 09-23-2004, 12:16 AM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: This is rediculous !!!

Fidel- and you know this how? He has been linked to militant groups and at least two other governments have him on a watch list. I'm sure that he probably does funnel money into the US for charitable organizations, but that is hardly the US taking his money. Give me a break.

The bottom line is that he does not have the right to enter the United States, especially when he has been linked to terrorist groups. Sorry, but this is a case of "tough shit Mr. Stevens".
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 12:37 AM   #8
Fidel
Diamond Member

Well Doc, his alleged links to militant organizations have never been proven. You are right the US is probably not taking his money, but I still think it´s odd that they wouldn´t let him on their territory but are allowing his organisations to operate in the US. Don´t you think that´s kinda inconsequent? If he really was a miltant islamist he might use these organisations in a harmfull way. To me all this looks more like a propaganda stunt then anything.

I understand you are trying to protect your country and I would want my governement to do the same, but I think this is either going overboard with it or a it´s just a bad pr stunt.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:12 AM   #9
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Fidel
Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
He´s not a supporter of Hamas, nor of any other militant organisation. This is all just propaganda bullshit. Obviously it didn´t sit well with a lot of people that someone as famous as Stevens converted to islam. Rumors were spread.

The US however doesn´t see a problem in taking Stevens money that he puts into a number of differnet aid organizations. Two of those where founded by Stevens and have branches in the US, most notably the organization "small kindness"
How do you know this. Can you account for 100% of his time and prove beyond a doubt that there is absolutely no substance to the accusations that he supports Hamas? What about the anti-semetic pamphlets he authored for a know illegal support organization of Hamas here in the states. Can you prove that he definitely has not given any money to Hamas or any other like minded terrorist organization?

I'm sorry, if there are any doubts, and there certainly seem to be more than a few, then there is no reason to allow him entry into the US. It's total BS to blame it on his conversion to Islam. It's his support of radical Islam terrorist beliefs that is the problem. I for one don't believe that Islam and Islamfascism are one and the same, but maybe you do.

If he wants to donate money to legitimate charities, then more power to him. However if there are any legitimate doubts that he may be associated with illegal organizations that wish to do harm to my country, then he can just stay the hell out of the US. It's not enough for you to be convinced, it's necessary that the officials of my country be convinced. By all means invite him to Germany, but he's not welcome in the USA.