Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 09:26 PM   #401
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Hank flied out to right, not deep enough to tag up on. Mench gave 'em hell with his at-bat. Took it to 3-2 and stung a couple pitches foul. But then he popped up, and now the game is over.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2006, 09:31 PM   #402
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

To be fair, in his streak of suckiness, Cordero has his share of crappy luck. GMJ misjudging the ball aside, it's unfortunate Coco still contributed to this loss. After the 2 Ks to start the inning, I was hoping a good outing would help his confidence.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:38 PM   #403
jly
Dirk for MVP

jly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the rough

luckily baseball is such a long season. despite cordero's struggles right now, he still has the opportunity to fix himself. better early than late in the post-season run i suppose. i'm just an optimist i guess..

is it something we did or are they just jealous?
Old 04-28-2006, 09:48 PM   #404
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish he would either do it now already or go play in Oklahoma City.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:54 PM   #405
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Switching over to this game... Mench watch: no HR yet, bottom of the 6th. He can tie the major league record today.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:55 PM   #406
jly
Dirk for MVP

jly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the rough

hey, what do you know, wilkerson can have a good game here and there...

Old 04-29-2006, 08:44 PM   #407
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Hopefully, Mench gets one last chance this inning.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:48 PM   #408
ames7
Diamond Member

Heads up, it appears Otsuka will have his first chance at closing coming up here in the bottom of the inning. They've blown a good chunk of the lead.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:52 PM   #409
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Thanks for the heads up, I almost stopped paying attention to the Rangers after the top of the ninth.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:53 PM   #410
jleefilled
Platinum Member

One K in the books.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:56 PM   #411
jleefilled
Platinum Member

uh oh. character time for Otsuka, men on first and third, one out.

Last edited by jleefilled; 04-29-2006 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:57 PM   #412
jly
Dirk for MVP

if not for some bad baserunning by the indians, i would have thought the rangers' closer role had a curse

Old 04-29-2006, 08:59 PM   #413
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

At least Millwood kept his win... Dude should be 4-2 right now, but at least he got this one!
Old 04-29-2006, 08:59 PM   #414
jleefilled
Platinum Member

Wow, was that just good fortune with the double play to end the game?
Old 04-29-2006, 08:59 PM   #415
ames7
Diamond Member

It was a lucky play, but he got it. I'm so glad for him. It's good to see him smile like that, we're gonna need him. I think he was nervous.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:00 PM   #416
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames7
It was a lucky play, but he got it. I'm so glad for him. It's good to see him smile like that, we're gonna need him. I think he was nervous.
Exactly... Blow this one and who knows how it might have affected him... He might have inherited COCO disease!
Old 04-29-2006, 09:43 PM   #417
Drbio
Banned

Otsuka was fine. Nerves and all.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:52 PM   #418
ames7
Diamond Member

Aw. No record for Mench. He is, however, the only righty to have a 7-game streak. So that's pretty cool.

Oh & I forgot to mention... a nice outing for Millwood in his return to CLE. He's really coming around. I think I heard Josh & Tom say he's lowered his season ERA w/every outing.

Last edited by ames7; 04-29-2006 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:57 PM   #419
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Aw. No record for Mench. He is, however, the only righty to have a 7-game streak. So that's pretty cool.

Oh & I forgot to mention... a nice outing for Millwood in his return to CLE. He's really coming around. I think I heard Josh & Tom say he's lowered his season ERA w/every outing.
I forgot all about Mench's run. He has been raking it lately. I wish he could have gotten it too. I love Millwood. He's been what I had hoped he would be and to pitch well in his return to Cleveland like you said is a testament to his make-up. We have an Ace. Even if Clemens comes aboard.....then we'd have two.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:48 AM   #420
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

nive game last night. Kinda close there last night in the 8th and 9th, but thyey pulled it out.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:55 AM   #421
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Mench has been killing the ball but his new shoes havent helped his defense any. He is god awful in right.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:26 PM   #422
jly
Dirk for MVP

what a performance by loe. hopefully otsuka can save loe's first win of the season.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:01 PM   #423
ames7
Diamond Member

He does. Good to see Loe finally get rewarded for his solid performance this year. He should have several W's already, but this is a start.

Like the twin perfect innings from Coco & Otsuka. Cordero's ERA down to 10.50.

I only ducked into this game briefly, but I did want to say... TB's stadium makes me sad. Just a sea of empty blue seats.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:04 PM   #424
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Coco hit 100mph tonight. It appears he's starting to get his velocity back.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:47 PM   #425
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

I certainly am not being confrontational Murph, but his problem hasn't really been velocity... His fastball has been pretty good for him, (97-98 regularly), yet his problems are that he was going to the slider WAY too much... His money pitch is his fastball, not his slider... Maybe he is learning that again! But I will say that I hadn't seen 100 from him this year prior to that...

On another note, What a game by Loe...
Old 05-01-2006, 09:51 PM   #426
Drbio
Banned

Loe has been a stud so far.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:24 PM   #427
jly
Dirk for MVP

yeah, aside from that home game against tb, loe has been as solid as you could ask for. my opinion about cordero is he can't control any of his pitches right now. even with the fastball. he has the velocity, but when you can't control where your fastball goes, you're pretty much screwed.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:28 PM   #428
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
I certainly am not being confrontational Murph, but his problem hasn't really been velocity... His fastball has been pretty good for him, (97-98 regularly), yet his problems are that he was going to the slider WAY too much... His money pitch is his fastball, not his slider... Maybe he is learning that again! But I will say that I hadn't seen 100 from him this year prior to that...

On another note, What a game by Loe...
It was pointed out tonight that Cordero hadn't hit 98 MPH this season. Several of his fastballs have been in the 93-95 MPH range up until tonight. Yes, he had reached 96-97 on occasion, but that wasn't the norm.

There's a big difference between the 93-96 mph range occasionally hitting 97 and the 97-100 mph range like he was hitting tonight.

Last edited by Murphy3; 05-01-2006 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:36 PM   #429
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
It was pointed out tonight that Cordero hadn't hit 98 MPH this season. Several of his fastballs have been in the 93-95 MPH range up until tonight. Yes, he had reached 96-97 on occasion, but that wasn't the norm.

There's a big difference between the 93-96 mph range occasionally hitting 97 and the 97-100 mph range like he was hitting tonight.
Having watched the majority of every game televised thus far, (and all of his appearances that were televised), I honestly haven't noticed him hitting 93-95 regularly. I even remember on a couple of occasions the announcers commenting that his fastball looks great so why won't he use it. Maybe I just didn't pay enough attention to his speeds, but I didn't think velocity was his problem...

Either way, a consistent 97-100mph fastball is indeed much different than a 93-96mph fastball, so if he was consistently pitching the latter, I am happy to know he isn't anymore.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:45 PM   #430
Murphy3
Guru

His velocity hasn't been bad, but it has been down. There were even a few rumblings on message boards that perhaps Coco had been on steroids which gave him the extra juice to get his fastball up into the upper 90's...and that the Rangers were now seeing the results of him being off the juice.

Like I said, 93-96 isn't bad velocity, but it's not great for Coco. I've never seen the guy hit 93mph more than a handful of times coming into this season. But, I've seen it probably 10-12 times already this year.

And no, the gun wasn't fast either. Loe was throwing 87-90 with every fastball.

Last edited by Murphy3; 05-01-2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:58 AM   #431
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Francisco Cordero sucks.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 05-02-2006, 07:44 AM   #432
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

1st place by the slimmest margins (.5) let's hope the A's and Angels take turns beating each other
Old 05-02-2006, 08:09 AM   #433
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

but still 1st place.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:17 AM   #434
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Kam loe is the man. A 1 2 3 ninth is a thing of beauty.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:59 AM   #435
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

OK, so Tejeda gets his first start of the year. Where does that leave the starting lineup?

Millwood
Padilla
Loe
Koronka
Tejeda

Am I missing one or something?
Old 05-02-2006, 12:28 PM   #436
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, that's how it looks for now. Bauer has been moved to the bullpen.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 05-02-2006, 12:29 PM   #437
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
He does. Good to see Loe finally get rewarded for his solid performance this year. He should have several W's already, but this is a start.

Like the twin perfect innings from Coco & Otsuka. Cordero's ERA down to 10.50.

I only ducked into this game briefly, but I did want to say... TB's stadium makes me sad. Just a sea of empty blue seats.
is otsuka official now as closer and coco to set up man? sorry not much rangers news in my parts.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:31 PM   #438
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, for now, Otsuka is officially the closer.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 05-02-2006, 09:22 PM   #439
jly
Dirk for MVP

not too bad of a start for tejada, granted, it is agains the devil rays. come on otsuka, save us another.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:26 PM   #440
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Wonder how long it will be until people spell his name right?

Hell, even texasrangers.com has it wrong.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 05-02-2006 at 09:27 PM.
Closed Thread