Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-30-2003, 04:41 PM   #1
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

just some numbers crunching i've done while at work here. i wanted to take a look at the true impact of shawn bradley and what his numbers could tell us.

against teams with formidable front lines (again, i'm using some subjective analysis as to what i think is formidable, but most would agree: portland, san antonio, LA Lakers, Clippers, Indiana, and Houston)

Games Played: 14 (Mavs Record: 9-5)
Mins/Game: 23.6
FGM/FGA: 32/64 = 50%
FTM/FTA: 17/21 = 80.9%
Off. Rebounds/Game: 2.36 (33 Off. Rebounds Total)
Def. Rebounds/Game: 4.21 (59 Def. Rebounds Total)
Assists/Game: 8/14 = .57
Steals/Game: 12/14 = .86
Blocks/Game: 35/14 = 2.5
Turnovers/Game: 13/14 = .93
Fouls/Game: 56/14 = 4.0
Points/Game: 81/14 = 5.79

i didn't include bradley's game against the shaq less lakers b/c well, they're shaqless and pathetic. i did include the game where shaq was playing however.

now looking at bradleys numbers against the other teams without the formidable front lines.
Games Played: 29 (Mavs Record: 25-4)
Mins/Game: 25.4
FGM/FGA: 83/162 = 51.2%
FTM/FTA: 72/90 = 80%
Off. Rebounds/Game: 2.38 (69 Off. Rebounds Total)
Def. Rebounds/Game: 5.10 (148 Def. Rebounds Total)
Assists/Game: 18/29 = .62
Steals/Game: 23/29 = .79
Blocks/Game: 85/29 = 2.93
Turnovers/Game: 25/29 = .86
Fouls/Game: 91/29 = 3.14
Points/Game: 238/29 = 8.21

Bradley missed/sat out one game due to injury, so I didn't factor that in. Digest this, and I'll post my thoughts in a few.

aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2003, 04:49 PM   #2
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

You mean one of our players performs better against bad teams than he does good teams?

I don't beleive you.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 04:51 PM   #3
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Interesting... not much of a difference. But what's more interesting is that you got the time to do this while at work. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 04:54 PM   #4
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

nowhere in the post did i indict bradley for his play.

however, since you brought it up, i will say that good players should step it up when they play better teams. if people are to say that bradley is a beast, then he should play like it when it matters, not when we are playing a bunch of also rans.

bradley's averages arent that far off from each other in general with the exception of the points category, which he really isnt needed for anyways. bradley is extremely foul prone, which isnt all that surprising, however his blocks still seem to be roughly the same as well as other tangible aspects of his performance.

just some stats to point out.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:08 PM   #5
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

<< Interesting... not much of a difference. >>

Yeah.

If I were being uncharitable and trying to instigate, I'd say that the word that comes to mind is 'inconsequential'.

But I'm not.

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 05:13 PM   #6
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<< i will say that good players should step it up when they play better teams. >>

So AE doest this correltate to good teams also. Does this mean good teams should have better stats against other good teams than nongood teams. But wait that can't be true because if a good teams has better numbers against another team, then the other team cannot be good for not stepping up. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] I just don't buy that argument. Good players should give a harder effort against the better teams. However since they are playing against stiffer competition, their numbers will often be down on a per minute basis because they are playing against tougher competition. You will generally run much slower uphill than downhill even if you give more effort to running uphill.

That Shawn's numbers are so close says a lot in his favor IMO.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:37 PM   #7
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Those stats look pretty close to me.
I don't think a half a block , 1 rebound, a foul, and 3 points difference from Bradley is the key to the mavs losses against contenders.
He's still up near the 6-7 points, 6-7 boards, and 2-3 blocks that most of us were asking from him for the season.

but as irrefutable proof against my &quot;Bradley is doing his job&quot; argument, here's a quote from Bill &quot;basketball genius&quot; Walton:
&quot;* Why does Shawn Bradley only play well against teams that aren't any good?&quot;
Walton at ESPN

I'd like to see the difference in play for the other mavs in the games listed.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 05:43 PM   #8
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

AEX can you please email this interesting stat to Bill Walton.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 05:49 PM   #9
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

UL I have 2 comments for Mr. Walton.

1. He is the worlds biggets idiot.
2. How can he watch the games to tell what Shawn or anyone is doing when all Walton does is kiss peoples butts.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:13 PM   #10
superheadcat

superheadcat is on a distinguished road

can anyone do some other number crunching to see how other centers in the league (include yao and shaq, pls) fare in the same category?

then maybe we can talk about if these stats are consequential or not.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:17 PM   #11
superheadcat

superheadcat is on a distinguished road

<< however, since you brought it up, i will say that good players should step it up when they play better teams. if people are to say that bradley is a beast, then he should play like it when it matters, not when we are playing a bunch of also rans.
>>

maybe i am a bit picky here, but by your standard, who in the mavs' uniform can be called a &quot;good player&quot;, if at all?
Old 01-30-2003, 06:24 PM   #12
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

ok, im not saying that bradley only plays well against bad teams.

i'm saying if you want to consider him a great player, then he needs to step up his production. i have never said he was a great player, and frankly i am pretty happy with the way he's played.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:20 PM   #13
LRB
Guru

<< i'm saying if you want to consider him a great player, then he needs to step up his production. >>

AE are you talking about overall production or just against the good teams?
Old 01-31-2003, 01:06 AM   #14
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Good stats Aex... But what is the point? How is it surprising that Bradley would play better against stronger frontcourts featuring all-star calibre opposition? Even with the modest difference in stats for these games (stats that are incidentally skewed by Raefs return to the lineup for some of those games) Bradley will still end up leading the league in blocks this year, while playing substantially fewer minutes than any of his shot-blocking competitors. And that kind of defensive impact will continue to help us win yet more games, and hopefully help us earn homecourt advantage through much or all of our playoff drive...
Old 01-31-2003, 01:31 AM   #15
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Statistically 'inconsequential'. is putting it mildly.

Great study, AEX... sometimes hard work just doesn't prove a point one way or the other...but I appreciate the work that you put into it.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:14 PM   #16
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

Default RE: breaking down shawn bradley's season

the great bradley debate continues...

thought this old post might help.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:41 PM   #17
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future
Default RE: breaking down shawn bradley's season

Bradley is like toilet paper, toothpaste, and other amenities...he's proven to be effective. -What Shaq might say
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:45 PM   #18
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default RE:breaking down shawn bradley's season

Aw, man. OP [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:46 PM   #19
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Saw the same thing. Right about now is when we miss Bill the most.

Old 07-28-2004, 04:03 PM   #20
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Saw the same thing. Right about now is when we miss Bill the most.
Yes, I'd give anything to have Bill back with us.