Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 03-27-2004, 01:33 AM   #1
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of
Default Are the Lakers starting to really scare anyone else?

They just put back to back whoopings on the T-wolves and Kings, two of the top teams in the league. I think it's safe to say that they've "flipped the switch."

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2004, 01:43 AM   #2
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE:Are the Lakers starting to really scare anyone else?

minnesota just got leveled

i want to see a lakers vs mavs game or lakers vs grizz game at this point to see how those two teams hold up but the big game is coming up on thursday against the rockets

kobe has been making some ridiculous shots(left handed 15 ft jumper..are you kidding me?.. and that step back fadeaway over hoiberg today)

it's gonna suck if they run the table
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 01:55 AM   #3
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE: Are the Lakers starting to really scare anyone else?

Lakers, I am scared of the Magic right now.

To be frank, I think it is either Lakers or Spurs that will get out of the WCF. I have to give props to Popovich for building a team around Duncan(something that Nellie has not done around Dirk).

Also I am not sure if west will win the championship this season. The way detroit is playing and the pacers have been playing it will probably be the best playoffs ever.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:07 AM   #4
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

People forgot what the Lakers team was like when all were healthy. We're only seeing what they were doing early in the season.

This shouldn't be surprising anyone.
Old 03-27-2004, 04:07 AM   #5
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Malone's passing is so important to that team. I wasn't sure if what we saw early in the season was just their collective experience overpowering a lot of other teams that were equally talented but hadn't yet had a chance to gel, but what they're doing at this point sure makes it look like they're just a damn good team. I'll be interested to see how their bench holds up in the playoffs, but I don't think there can be any question that they having the best starting 4+1 in the NBA.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:00 AM   #6
Shaq Attack2

Shaq Attack2 is on a distinguished road

What MFF said.
Shaq Attack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 05:23 AM   #7
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

No surprise at all. But it will be a surprise if they all stay healthy, happy and out of jail through the playoffs. With 4 great players and a cast of wannabes, that is one fragile team.

Having said that, I expect Shaq to go absolutely nuts in the playoffs.
The Big Man has just been waiting for this one, IMO.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:13 PM   #8
samoan-maverick

samoan-maverick is on a distinguished road

I soooooooooooooo scared. [img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]

JUST BRING IT FFFFFFFFFFLAKERS
Old 03-28-2004, 12:36 AM   #9
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

You bet they are starting to scare me, they are blowing out good teams and just look so sharp. If they play even close to this in the playoffs, a new dynasty could be underway. They just are all working as a team, it's almost perfect....
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 01:40 AM   #10
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

F 'em
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 12:42 AM   #11
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Yep, they look like they're getting hungry...

What is interesting to me is just how important that Karl Malone is to that team. His passing, rebounding, scoring, defense, and leadership (especially) are really making the difference for this team.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 02:09 AM   #12
WayOutWest
Golden Member

WayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: ddh33
Yep, they look like they're getting hungry...

What is interesting to me is just how important that Karl Malone is to that team. His passing, rebounding, scoring, defense, and leadership (especially) are really making the difference for this team.
No doubt. Now if only he could use one of his famous elbows to take out Devean George for the rest of the year, I'd be on cloud 9!

"Lakers hate causes blindness"
WayOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 09:40 AM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: FreshJive
F 'em
Word!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 09:14 AM   #14
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

They were so underrated by the media for a while for losing so many games... but any team would lose that many games if 3 of their 4 best players were out with an injury or recovering from one... mavsfanfinley had a good point - they've gotten their chemistry back that they had early on in the season as a healthy team and are now a bigger threat than everybody imagined. With 4 hall-of-famers on one team, you're bound to blow out a few teams. I see them coming out of the WCF this year.. unless Dallas has something to say about it.

GO MAVS!
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 06:24 PM   #15
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Spurs were not scared today and beat the LA at LA.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:35 AM   #16
WayOutWest
Golden Member

WayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
Spurs were not scared today and beat the LA at LA.
I hear ya!

I posted this on another board before the game:
"Color me a pessimist (sic?) but the teams the Lakers have beaten durring this impressive run have either been marginal teams or good teams that are struggling. I think even the T-Wolves were stumbling when the played the Lakers. I'm really looking forward to this matchup, both teams are playing well and there should be no excuses. The Spurs have something to prove vs the Lakers this year and I hope the Lakers haven't forgotten what happened last year.

IMO the remaining games the could be trouble for LA and put a kybosh on their quest for the best record in the west will be Sonics, Spurs, Blazers and Griz. Playing up at Arco will be tough as well but Kobe loves those types of games plus the Webber deal is still a disaster."

The game vs the Spurs was a legit test for the Lakers and they couldn't pull out the win. I think the loss should be chalked up to unispired defense. The Spurs are a great defensive team so you should expect tough shooting nights and having to work for almost every shot but when the Lakers don't step up their D for the ENTIRE game then it makes beating the Spurs alot more difficult. If the Lakers would have played steady defense instead of in spurts they would have been in a much better position to win.

Some of the plays the Lakers ran had me scratching my head. There was a play in the 4th when after a Laker time out Kobe jacks up a three point shot fading to his right...WTF? Shaq and Malone were starting to come to life in the paint and Kobe tried to play hero one too many times for the Lakers. Kobe needs to stay within the offense against teams like SA. That bastard!

"Lakers hate causes blindness"
WayOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 01:11 PM   #17
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

After watching the Lakers Spurs game yesterday, I was surprised to see how much Gary Payton's game has deteriorated. Parker just ran rings around the guy. Payton has slowed down so much. I hope Jackson doesn't come around and start Fisher. Payton coming off the bench will be scarier than Payton as a starter.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:15 PM   #18
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I still think a lot of it ends up depending on matchups.

I think San Antonio matches up really well with LA.
I think Dallas matches up well with San Antonio.

Right now, it's still too early to make my predictions. I think it will all depend on who draws who.

But LA and SA are starting to seperate themselves - and the media will play that up, but there is no guarantee that either of those teams win...
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote