Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-29-2002, 11:32 AM   #1
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

While the Mavericks mostly sat around and scratched their asses this offseason, other teams pulled some crucial moves and combined with natural player improvement, look to be some serious foes.

1. Kings

As if these guys weren't awesome enough already. They obliterated the Mavs in the playoffs last season and took the world champion Lakers to 7 games in the WC finals. In addition to that killer lineup they've picked up a good backup/spot starting Center in Keon Clark and a capable proven veteran in Terry Porter. Thank god the deal with Cleaves and Jumaine Jones fell thru because if they had gotten rif of a 3rd string point guard in exchange for an athletic front court player they only would have been that much more dangerous.

2. Clippers

Even if no extra moves had been made I was fearing that the young Clips, a year older and that tiny bit much more mature would wreck shop in the NBA. Now you combine a frontcourt featuring a beast like Elton Brand and possibly the second best Center in the league in Olowokandi with a budding future all star point guard in Andre Miller and there still deep bench. These guys are going to embarrass some teams.

3. Lakers

Why? Because their the fricken Lakers. Shaq + Kobe = no championships for you.

4. Rockets

This is the team I think is real poised to break out this season. Mobley and Francis combine for a devastating backcourt with Francis only getting that much better. Eddie Griffin looks as if he might have a real breakout season coming up, and with the addition of Yao Ming, even if he doesen't completly dissappoint the Rockets look to put the hurt on some people for years to come.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2002, 11:39 AM   #2
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

<< Teams that scare you? >>

1.- Lakers

2.- Kings

3.- Spurs

No one else.
Old 09-29-2002, 12:08 PM   #3
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Nets.

They played Dallas close last year, and they'll be bigger inside, and more defensive-oriented.

Also, I think Portland can continue to play physically with Dallas, which has tended throw the Mavericks off their game. They have Sabonis back, who will be one more big body and six more fouls to contend with, and they have more depth and size in the backcourt with Daniels and McInnis.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 05:13 PM   #4
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Portland, Kings, and Lakers and Clipps. The Clipps have all the ingredients to a championship they just dont have the experience and thank god because if they had experience there one of my favs to win. That whole state of California scares me. Portland same applys to them except they have the experience just not the experience with each other and do not have any specific roles.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 05:28 PM   #5
NBAfreak02

NBAfreak02 is on a distinguished road

1. Kings
2. Clippers

I dunno why they just scare me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2002, 05:48 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

e. None of the above
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 06:51 PM   #7
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

Can't afford to be scared of any of them.
Even if I could...i certainly wouldn't be running
from the Clippers just yet.
I like to watch the Clippers play, they're probably my second favourite
team, but they don't have the whole package together yet.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 07:50 PM   #8
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

The Bucks cos Sam Cassell scares the bejeebers out of me!
Old 09-30-2002, 02:56 PM   #9
MavsManiac

MavsManiac is on a distinguished road

thing that scares me the most about the Clippers is that thing they do with their foreheads... scares the bejeebers outta me! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

seriously though, of the teams that didn't make the playoffs the Clips have to be the one to watch out for...

other'n that... Lakers (because the NBA loves them) and Kings (because of Pollard's ever-changing 'do)
Old 10-01-2002, 11:01 PM   #10
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

WOW..there are definitely some head-scratchers on this thread. Clippers? Nets? Rockets? Geeezzz. The teams that are scary are the ones that the Mavs aren't as good as. This would constitute 3 teams only: Lakers, Kings, Spurs.

I am stoked the season is almost here.
Old 10-02-2002, 12:30 AM   #11
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

A team doesen't neccessarily have to be better for you to be afraid of them. Overconfidence is never a good thing. I guarantee you the Clippers and Rockets will be hurting some teams.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote