Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-16-2001, 02:07 AM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the following article was kind of amusing. It looks like Kobe has been garnering a disgustingly Beatles-like mania in his Chinese tour... It would be nice if he had shown up and been hit by a bottle though...

Event's cancellation sparks bottle throwing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

BEIJING -- Traffic and surging crowds prevented Kobe Bryant from showing up for a promotional appearance in China's capital city.

Fans who had been waiting hours in blistering temperatures grew agitated when the Los Angeles Lakers guard was more than 1½ hours late to arrive at the Millennium Monument in western Beijing. Some hurled bottles, pushed at barricades and criticized Adidas, the sponsor.

Police dragged off one offender by his hair and quickly dispersed the crowd of about 1,500, though it wasn't immediately clear if anyone was detained. Beijing police would confirm no arrests, and Adidas said it knew of none.

The disturbance caused so much congestion that authorities barred Bryant's car from entering, Adidas representatives said.

"I was informed that the conditions around the venue I was to appear at were unsafe for my fans," Bryant told cheering fans Sunday night at another appearance. "I so badly wanted to meet those fans that waited with such loyalty and patience."

Earlier, at a news conference, Bryant rhapsodized about playing hoops at the Great Wall. "It's an experience that's very difficult to capture in words," he said.

The 22-year-old Bryant, whom Chinese fans call "ke bi," also joined kids Saturday at a basketball clinic near the Great Wall, north of Beijing. He was especially impressed with one young man who did a reverse dunk with a T-shirt pulled over his head.

"I loved watching them play. They were having so much fun," he said. "They had some pretty good hops. They were jumping pretty well."

ke bi
Old 08-17-2001, 11:01 AM   #2
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

That so funny they tried to throw bootles on him! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
This can't happen to a Mav, Kobe!
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote