Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-28-2020, 11:03 PM   #641
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Man, there are so many good jobs open right now. LAC, Philly and New Orleans all have a chance to contend if the right levers are pulled.
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2020, 10:13 PM   #642
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

To me Doc is a better than average coach but he's not great imo. I love Luka but there was no reason for them to basically never double Luka and to switch literally everything and never show a different look to him once in our series. He just seems to rely on his talent to do what they are supposed to do. I just think you can do a lot better than Doc. The real issue is who do Kawhi and way off p want on the team?
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:30 PM   #643
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of open jobs, but the NBA has a dearth of good coaches
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:30 AM   #644
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Dion Waiters will probably get a ring no matter who wins the championship
Old 09-30-2020, 12:04 PM   #645
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Lots of open jobs, but the NBA has a dearth of good coaches
Yeah, but can you remember a time when this many GOOD jobs were open at once? I can't, but I haven't really tracked it.

Brooklyn, Philly, LAC are all primo gigs, and New Orleans is better than 95% of the open jobs you'd normally see.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:43 PM   #646
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

And once again we see the weakness of the eastern conference.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:51 PM   #647
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus, Heat down 30. Didn't see that coming.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:07 PM   #648
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
And once again we see the weakness of the eastern conference.
The weird thing is, I don't think this was a typical "eastern conference sucks" season, as we've seen so constantly over the last 20 or so years. Milwaukee, Philadelphia, Boston, Toronto, and Miami were all really good this year. The West was still better, but the gap wasn't nearly as wide as it has been in the past. But all of those teams other than Miami underachieved in the playoffs for whatever reason. Miami appears to have overachieved.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:46 PM   #649
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

My hot take on game 1 is that the Lakers figured out the Heat's zone defense, and the Heat had no idea how to respond. The Lakers also just got incredibly hot from 3, which was totally unexpected, and I don't expect them to replicate at all. They're not typically a very good shooting team. It'll be interesting to see how Miami responds. I expect them to come out guns blazing in game 2. They're too good for the whole series to be a blowout- assuming Bam and Dragic are okay. If they're not, then it's a sweep.

I am however rethinking my initial take that Miami is a really tough matchup for Lakers. Granted, Bam and Dragic left the game early, but still, AD was completely dominant, and it made me realize that Miami is actually really small, and the Lakers are of course huge.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 09-30-2020 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:09 PM   #650
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Dragic apparently has a plantar tear in his left foot and is out for the series.

Ouch. Unfortunate for him, the Heat, and for us viewers. I was looking forward to a competitive finals. Now it's looking like an easy win for the Lakers.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 10-01-2020 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:31 AM   #651
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Heat have no answer for AD. With Dragic out Miami doesn’t stand a chance this series.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:46 AM   #652
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Dragic apparently has a plantar tear in his left foot and is out for the series.

Ouch. Unfortunate for him, the Heat, and for us viewers. I was looking forward to a competitive finals. Now it's looking for like an easy win for the Lakers.
At least it wasn't ACL, but foot injuries are no joke. Apparently he won't require surgery from what I understand although it is an option.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:49 AM   #653
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
At least it wasn't ACL, but foot injuries are no joke. Apparently he won't require surgery from what I understand although it is an option.
Woj just said he has been able to put pressure on his foot, and hasn’t been ruled out for the Finals.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:04 AM   #654
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

This finals is boring
Old 10-01-2020, 11:20 AM   #655
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Woj just said he has been able to put pressure on his foot, and hasn’t been ruled out for the Finals.
No way he plays. Even non-tear plantar issues can be deeply affecting.

Old 10-01-2020, 01:40 PM   #656
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Apparently Bam has a neck strain and is doubtful for game 2. What a sad way to finish the bubble experiment, which has otherwise been a resounding success for the NBA.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:40 PM   #657
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Apparently Bam has a neck strain and is doubtful for game 2. What a sad way to finish the bubble experiment, which has otherwise been a resounding success for the NBA.
Resounding minus the myriad of injuries to key players.

Old 10-01-2020, 01:55 PM   #658
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I feel for Bam but this was 100% his doing. He jumped into Howard with literally all his force. If Howard had fallen it would've been an offensive foul.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:05 PM   #659
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Resounding minus the myriad of injuries to key players.
Players get injured every year. I didn't count them, but this playoffs didn't stand out to me as being particularly injury plagued. At least not until the finals. Simmons and Lillard were probably the highest profile injuries. After that, I guess KP? The Nuggets were decimated early on, but they got back everyone they needed for a remarkable playoff run.

Either way, the bubble has to be considered a success. A: I didn't think they'd be able to pull it off at all. When the NBA suspended the season back in March, I assumed that it would be completely cancelled and that the attempts to continue the season were doomed to fail. B: I figured that even if they did manage have a season, it would be really jarring and weird with no fans. I was very pleasantly surprised. It looks, sounds, and feels just like NBA basketball.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:25 PM   #660
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

I think most injuries were more training.

A lot of guys went from playing basketball, stretching, lifting weights, and doing a full range of exercise to basically just jumping on a bike for months. Many players lost conditioning and strength during the break.

It's hard to go from quarantine to playing elite-level basketball in a month.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:24 PM   #661
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Rivers to the Sixers on a five year deal. That's actually a pretty good fit. Now the Sixers don't have to trade half their roster to accommodate D'Antoni.

Old 10-01-2020, 05:37 PM   #662
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

76ers were dead last in the playoffs in points, FGM, FG%, 3PM, 3PA, assists, and steal. They were number one in FTM and FTA. They didn't need a "motivational" coach like Doc, they needed an X's & O's coach who could figure out how to make their offense work with two stars who can't shoot 3s. D'Antoni would've been the right choice.

Last edited by tap2390; 10-01-2020 at 05:37 PM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:20 PM   #663
BPo001
Diamond Member

Yikes. Too late for Nash to change his mind?

https://www.radio.com/1053thefan/spo...EvHFGS-sCE8lb8
Old 10-01-2020, 06:35 PM   #664
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
76ers were dead last in the playoffs in points, FGM, FG%, 3PM, 3PA, assists, and steal. They were number one in FTM and FTA. They didn't need a "motivational" coach like Doc, they needed an X's & O's coach who could figure out how to make their offense work with two stars who can't shoot 3s. D'Antoni would've been the right choice.
Yeah Doc ain't turning it around anywhere. particularly in Philly. I'd give him 1.5 seasons.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:10 PM   #665
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
I don't think any coach can. I think it's an unsolvable problem. Those two guys just don't fit together. I think the Sixers need to trade one of those guys, and I would probably trade Embiid and keep Simmons.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:18 PM   #666
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
I don't think any coach can. I think it's an unsolvable problem. Those two guys just don't fit together. I think the Sixers need to trade one of those guys, and I would probably trade Embiid and keep Simmons.
I'm surprised you say that considering Simmons can't shoot to save his life.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:19 PM   #667
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Yikes. Too late for Nash to change his mind?

https://www.radio.com/1053thefan/spo...EvHFGS-sCE8lb8
I'm not sure if this is a bold prediction or not, but I'm just going to go ahead and say that this KD-Kyrie Nets team will fail. They might be a good team, and they might make some noise in the playoffs in the East, but I don't think they'll be real title contenders. I think KD will be noticeably diminished, and Kyrie is perpetual injury case and locker-room headache. Both guys seem like malcontents by nature. I think they will be one of those teams that shows flashes of brilliance, even dominance, but always disappoints in the end, and then breaks up after anywhere from 2-4 years. (KD and Kyrie can both opt out in 2023.)
Old 10-01-2020, 08:23 PM   #668
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
I'm surprised you say that considering Simmons can't shoot to save his life.
Yes, but he's younger, less of an injury risk (I know, ironic considered he's injured right now and Embiid is healthy, but Embiid has a horrible injury history), and Embiid's work ethic and conditioning have always been questionable. Also, Simmons is a defensive juggernaut. Simmons just seems like a safer bet to me to build a team around. Yes, he has a horrible flaw in that he can't shoot, but he's elite at pretty much everything else.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:01 PM   #669
tap2390
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm not sure if this is a bold prediction or not, but I'm just going to go ahead and say that this KD-Kyrie Nets team will fail. They might be a good team, and they might make some noise in the playoffs in the East, but I don't think they'll be real title contenders. I think KD will be noticeably diminished, and Kyrie is perpetual injury case and locker-room headache. Both guys seem like malcontents by nature. I think they will be one of those teams that shows flashes of brilliance, even dominance, but always disappoints in the end, and then breaks up after anywhere from 2-4 years. (KD and Kyrie can both opt out in 2023.)

This x1000. We’re talking about two malcontents who have only ever succeeded with strong leaders around them. The Nets will fold when it counts.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:55 PM   #670
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Yep. Called it.

https://twitter.com/dalton_trigg/sta...00004500221957

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 10-01-2020 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:23 PM   #671
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
And that is the correct view. I said it before- the Mavs had no business making that a six game series. That should have been a sweep.

This is why everyone still won't stop talking about the Clippers. This honestly might be the most disappointing playoff team in NBA history. Certainly in recent memory at least. I can't remember in my life a team that was favored to win the title, not only lose to an underdog team like that in the second round, but A: blow a 3-1 lead, and B: completely fold in game seven. That's the most shocking thing, not just that they lost but the way they got utterly humiliated in the final game. Those guys actually looked scared in the fourth quarter. I've honestly never seen anything like it.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:51 PM   #672
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Jesus, AD is f*cking awesome. When he's "on", he might be the best player in the league. He has a weird tendency to disappear for stretches of games, and that's why he often gets left out of "top 5" conversations, but this playoffs has convinced me that he's easily a top 5 player.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:35 PM   #673
BPo001
Diamond Member

Old 10-02-2020, 10:38 PM   #674
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
Jesus, AD is f*cking awesome. When he's "on", he might be the best player in the league. He has a weird tendency to disappear for stretches of games, and that's why he often gets left out of "top 5" conversations, but this playoffs has convinced me that he's easily a top 5 player.
32pts/14 reb on 15-20 shooting. Miami has no answer for him. I didn’t watch much of the game. No interest in this series. i wish they would re-seed teams when playoffs start regardless of conference.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:47 PM   #675
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
32pts/14 reb on 15-20 shooting. Miami has no answer for him. I didn’t watch much of the game. No interest in this series. i wish they would re-seed teams when playoffs start regardless of conference.
Honestly nobody has an answer for him. He's probably the most unguardable player int he league. You can't go big against him and you definitely can't go small. I think Giannis is probably the only guy that can actually match up with him.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:09 PM   #676
KillerLeft

Quote:
Honestly nobody has an answer for him. He's probably the most unguardable player int he league. You can't go big against him and you definitely can't go small. I think Giannis is probably the only guy that can actually match up with him.
Giannis, and the guy who couldn't play tonight, due to injury.

You might think the Lakers still dominate without the injuries to the Heat's best and third best players, and you might be right, but I think Bam was going to have nights where he was the best player in the series.

It just sucks that the playoffs were THIS good and now we get a Finals product that's THIS bad.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:43 PM   #677
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

This finals sucks
Old 10-02-2020, 11:48 PM   #678
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerLeft View Post
Giannis, and the guy who couldn't play tonight, due to injury.

You might think the Lakers still dominate without the injuries to the Heat's best and third best players, and you might be right, but I think Bam was going to have nights where he was the best player in the series.

It just sucks that the playoffs were THIS good and now we get a Finals product that's THIS bad.
I don't know, Bam certainly would have a better chance than most, but I did not like what I saw in game 1 before he left. Granted, it was a very small sample size, but AD got whatever he wanted. He's still very young though, so maybe in the future he'll be that guy.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:48 PM   #679
tap2390
Diamond Member

Bam is good but he is still a world away from AD good.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:58 PM   #680
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

It is horribly unfortunate about Miami's injuries though. I really thought this was going to be an exciting, competitive series.