Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 02-26-2004, 12:29 PM   #1
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Survivor All Stars Leaked?

If you watch Survivor, you might find this interesting. Here is a link to the list in question (don't go if you don't want to know.

Quote:
Has Survivor's secret been leaked?
Posted boot list claims to already know the winner

VINAY MENON

Let's begin this dispatch with a double warning:

1. If you're a fan of Survivor: All-Stars (CBS, Global, 8 p.m. tonight) the following may contain spoiler information.

2. If you're a fan of the truth, the following may contain inaccurate information based on a cunning hoax.

People, it's all so confusing.

Reader James Totanes recently sent an intriguing e-mail about a potential leak on Survivor. Somebody, claiming to have insider information, had posted a "boot list" outlining each episode, including eliminations.

I considered forwarding the message to Robert Cribb, one of The Star's wily investigators. "Cribby," I nearly typed, "I smell Pulitzer!"

Upon reflection, I remembered Cribb has a real job. So I poured myself a martini, lit a cigarette and launched an independent investigation.

I was soon clicking through a parallel universe, a subculture of anonymous posters, veteran spoilers, and Survivor fanatics, each with an opinion on the alleged leak.

"It's almost certainly legit," wrote Hercules T. Strong, the TV editor for the Web site Ain't It Cool, where I first read the boot list. (You can still read it there.)

"Ain't It Cool has been the recipient of scores of fake spoilers over the years, but I just couldn't imagine anyone going to the trouble of manufacturing so much unexpected anecdotal detail."

Hercules, as you might assume, isn't his real name. That's okay. I'm not really The Moccachino Stud.

Information obtained by The Star under the Freedom of Bullshit Act, reveals the boot list in question is posted by sleek28. Sources, some of them requesting anonymity from their anonymous identities, say an IP trace places sleek28 in northern California.

There would be no time to board a jet. This investigation would be conducted from The East York Bunker.

As Hercules pointed out, the boot list was first posted on the Survivor Sucks Ezboard BEFORE the show aired. And going into tonight's fifth episode, sleek28 had successfully predicted every elimination, including contestants Tina, Rudy, Jenna, and Rob. C.

Veteran spoilers, however, insist the list is an elaborate ruse, deftly stitched together from obscure but available information. And this fact, they say, will emerge tonight when sleek28 is wrong about Jerri getting eliminated.

"My only comment is that it is a hoax," writes Q, one of the administrators on Survivor Sucks, where sleek28 first posted. "It was well-crafted but none of the veteran spoilers were really fooled."

Q also revealed that sleek28 admitted to lying. But an extensive search of sleek28 posts, most of which have been banished to The Dump, turned up no evidence of a confession.

The investigation was stalling. Neglected work was piling up. Calls went unanswered. Even the cats looked mildly alarmed.

"Don't forget, tonight is garbage night," said my wife.

"Damn it, woman! I'm trying to track down Mr. Bonefish!"

The investigation was stymied. So many questions: Is Survivor creator Mark Burnett behind this? Is sleek28 a CBS plant? What are those voices I keep hearing?

One correspondent, let's call her Toledo Tracy, wrote, "You're going to hear from spoilers who are pissed about the attention sleek is getting ... But there are many of us with really good connections who believe this is legit."

I needed to penetrate the spoilers' inner chamber.

"I don't know how much you want to give away to your readers," writes Snewser, who runs Survivornews.net. "But the list does indeed become wrong this week. However, in the grand scheme of things, he/she is probably not far off the mark."

This led to information from another source about another rumour. There are reports that one crew member on Survivor was fired for providing Jenna with information about her terminally ill mother. Could this former employee, assuming this is true, be sleek28?

"sleek28 is quite mysterious," writes ChillOne, a widely respected veteran spoiler and author of The Spoiler: Revealing The Secrets of Survivor.

"Since sleek28 did not respond to any direct questions regarding his/her background, we all must take him/her as a hoax or a plant."

Fuggybootnling, a Toronto native who runs an eponymous Web site, agrees.

"The real test is this week," he writes. "(It's) the first prediction that would be truly new information not widely available when sleek28 first posted the list. And I think it's going to be here where the list will hit a wall."

Markopolo, who helps run the Survivor Network and is a member of the Acme Brain Trust, an elite group of adults who treat spoiling like a forensic science, says, "sleek caught fire because his post was INTERESTING. It was intriguing to hear about the details that he talked about. They `seemed' plausible ... . But his story is wrong, because he's doesn't know anything."

Indeed, despite having a spotless track record to date, sleek28 does not have much cyber-cred.

"sleek28's hoax was perfect in terms of its design," says Murtz Jaffer, who runs Survivor-Central.com. "The problem is that based on the traditional spoiling of vidcap analysis, it appears he might be wrong and this leads many to believe that he will finally be brought down (tonight)."

The investigation remains open. It's officially classified as "Unsolved." Documents have been carefully filed in The I Need A Life cabinet.

Should there be new developments, fear not. The Moccachino Stud will remain on the case as long as necessary.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2004, 03:49 AM   #2
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of
Default RE:Survivor All Stars Leaked?

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
2. If you're a fan of the truth, the following may contain inaccurate information based on a cunning hoax.
[/quote]

I'm waiting for the first poster here to add this to their signature!

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote