Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-13-2022, 10:52 AM   #41
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambol View Post
Now there's definitely a big hole in the middle. Powell is great with the pick and roll. He plays hard and he hustles but he's going to struggle against a lot of BIGS.

Hope the new Mavs can pick up their worth and maybe used to get that 2nd star.

Hope Brunson's trajectory becomes that 2nd star.

There are 2 intriguing centers who might be available for the Mavs pick. Let's hope we get Kessler (Auburn) or Williams (Duke). Williams is more athletic, but Kessler might bring more to the table. He could be that stretch 5.
Powell is garbage and has been for years. The Mavs just have had so many trash players over the years that the fans are looking for somebody to root for, and Powell is a fun guy on a superficial level. He hops around a lot, dives for the ball, scraps (all to little effect) and then maybe throws down a dunk or two each game on a lob while imitating a turnstile on defense. Oh, and he will really look like an all-star in garbage time against G-league level guys.

For a decade or longer, the Mavs team building strategy has consisted of plan powder comibined with the signing of free agents and discarded players off the scrap heap every year hoping to find a gem somewhere. They actually found one in DFS, and while I'm happy about this and happy for him and his new contract, this is not the way to build a successful franchise. He's just a good piece on the back end of a rotation imo. His shot is way too inconsistent and he doesn't have good enough handles to be rated much higher imo. Yeah, the Mavs resigned him for $55m. Good for him. Not exciting at all imo aside from it being a move that wasn't f'd up. What should've been exciting was taking advantage of his contribution based upon his contract level the last several years, but that was wasted just like Luka's early years on the team.

Last edited by turin; 02-13-2022 at 10:54 AM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2022, 11:07 AM   #42
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambol View Post
Now there's definitely a big hole in the middle. Powell is great with the pick and roll. He plays hard and he hustles but he's going to struggle against a lot of BIGS.

Hope the new Mavs can pick up their worth and maybe used to get that 2nd star.

Hope Brunson's trajectory becomes that 2nd star.

There are 2 intriguing centers who might be available for the Mavs pick. Let's hope we get Kessler (Auburn) or Williams (Duke). Williams is more athletic, but Kessler might bring more to the table. He could be that stretch 5.
I like Kessler for us but would be happy if we draft either. Robinson wouldn’t be bad either if those 2 are gone.
Kessler would give us a presence in the paint and should be a great rebounder. Not super athletic but mobile enough for the PNR and has a shot that can improve.

ST I’m hoping Lopez or Thompson get bought out and we sign one of them.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 11:54 AM   #43
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Wow this guy goes hard after Cuban and some of it I agree with because Cuban is a shadow of the owner who once took over the Mavs

The entire article is basically what most of us have been saying about the Mavs even doing Dirk's best year their failure to surround a Super Star and it's happening again with Luka

Full article
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...?ocid=msedgntp

Mavs fans had high hopes for Harrison. There was optimism he wouldn’t squander assets like his predecessor. That he wouldn’t continue the two-decades-old trend of trading assets for goofy European role players, no one else wants. Enter Davis Bertans.

Bertans has been brutally below-average at every facet of basketball, save for perimeter shooting. His 43 percent from 3, and 15.4 ppg during the 2019-2020 season earned him an absurd five-year, $80 million deal with the Washington Wizards. This season he’s averaged 5.7 ppg while shooting 31.9 percent from 3-point range. There are guys in the stands who can put up better numbers who aren’t getting paid an insane contract. It was thought the Wizards would never be able to trade Bertan’s atrocious deal. Enter Nico Harrison.

Or should we say, Mark Cuban? The Mavs owner has always been the shadow GM. He’s been blatantly outright about it. Dinwiddie’s crypto bro side hustle reeks of Cuban meddling at the deadline. Porziņģis wasn’t perfect. He usually wasn’t healthy either. Or easy to coach. Or typically fun for Luka to play with. But at least when he was suited up, he gave you 20 ppg. Dinwiddie and Bertans don’t even average 20 per combined.

It gets worse. Usually, the team dealing the worst player in the trade has to attach a pick to help the other team swallow the deal. In this case, both sides agreed KP was somehow the worst asset. So the Mavs added a second-round pick to unload Porziņģis’ large hospital bills and even more oversized ego.

The Porziņģis debacle has short-term and long-term implications. This trade was not really about Porziņģis, it was about Dončić. Now, most Mavs games will look a lot like the game directly after the trade. Against the depleted Clippers, Dončić had 51. The next highest scorer, Dorian Finney-Smith (who agreed to a contract extension right after the Porziņģis trade), had 12. In recent memory, no team has failed more at surrounding their young MVP candidate with a competitive roster than Cuban’s Mavs have for Dončić.

The Mavs just signed Dončić to his rookie extension at five years and $207.1 million. But that hasn’t been enough to keep most modern superstars from demanding a trade when it’s clear the team has hit a ceiling. It makes sense. The team that drafted you can give you the most money. Take it, then wait it out a year or two to see if they’re competent enough to build a contending squad. If they don’t, you secure the bag and get the trade. Many superstars have done it — most notably Anthony Davis with the Pelicans.

Why does this happen? Front offices hit a ceiling and couldn’t keep, or even get, their teams in contending status. So the superstar bolts. The Mavs have already surrounded Luka with the worst supporting cast of any NBA superstar. So now they go into the next five years of his rookie extension with only four out of five draft picks, the hefty salaries of Tim Hardaway Jr. (three more years), Dinwiddie (two more years), Reggie Bullock (two more years), and Bertans (three more years).

Last edited by Dallas41; 02-13-2022 at 12:01 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 05:31 PM   #44
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Insinuating Cuban forced a deal for Dinwiddie because of crypto isn’t just stupid it’s reckless journalism without any basis in reality. I say that as a huge Cuban critic, and someone who would like for him to sell.

As others have pointed out:

1) KP is on a max deal and can’t stay healthy or provide any sort of consistency

2) other teams were unable to move their max players with similar issues (Russ, Wall)

3) the Mavs sold relatively high on KP who has at times looked good this season

4) the Mavs converted one horrendous contract into two bad contracts, but it wasn’t that long ago Bertans and Dinwiddie were both considered to be on fair deals

5) Bertans is an elite catch and shoot guy which the Mavs simply didn’t have

6) the best version of Spencer Dinwiddie is a two-way point with two-guard size

All in all I’m happy. I’m happy we pulled the trigger and blew it up to some extent instead of trying to pile crap onto more crap. Some may view this as a step backwards to go forward, I actually think it’s a step forward that increases our ceiling and raises our floor.
Old 02-13-2022, 05:47 PM   #45
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Dp

Last edited by tap2390; 02-13-2022 at 05:47 PM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 06:03 PM   #46
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Glad we didn't trade for Hield. 1-13 on threes today. That guy has forgotten how to shoot the ball.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 05:57 PM   #47
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Food for thought:

Unlike those people listed, KP isn't a star when healthy. Stars impact the game. Lillard takes over and wins games. Davis (at least the Anthony Davis of 3-4 years ago) dominated games. KP does not change the game and he doesn't even put up the numbers he puts up efficiently.

Since KP was a rookie, he was always billed as a future star. Six years in and he's still not a star. How long do we keep billing him as a star before we realize that he's just a decent player.
Found this to be very interesting about Anthony Davis

He's missed 56 of his last 130 games.

In the last two years the Lakers are 36-38 with Davis and 28-28 without him.
Old 02-18-2022, 04:46 PM   #48
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Insinuating Cuban forced a deal for Dinwiddie because of crypto isn’t just stupid it’s reckless journalism without any basis in reality. I say that as a huge Cuban critic, and someone who would like for him to sell.

As others have pointed out:

1) KP is on a max deal and can’t stay healthy or provide any sort of consistency

2) other teams were unable to move their max players with similar issues (Russ, Wall)

3) the Mavs sold relatively high on KP who has at times looked good this season

4) the Mavs converted one horrendous contract into two bad contracts, but it wasn’t that long ago Bertans and Dinwiddie were both considered to be on fair deals

5) Bertans is an elite catch and shoot guy which the Mavs simply didn’t have

6) the best version of Spencer Dinwiddie is a two-way point with two-guard size

All in all I’m happy. I’m happy we pulled the trigger and blew it up to some extent instead of trying to pile crap onto more crap. Some may view this as a step backwards to go forward, I actually think it’s a step forward that increases our ceiling and raises our floor.
This. For everyone screaming about horrible the Mavs are and how horrible Cuban is and how horrible this trade was... what more did you expect to get out of a KP trade? You think other teams were lining up around the block? Trading him at all I think is an accomplishment.

Unless the argument is then that we should just kept KP. In which case, I don't really know what to say. The sample size is more than big enough. We've seen the Luka-KP ceiling. It's not just about KP's inability to stay healthy. He's also just not that good and his fit next to Luka is questionable at best.

Sometimes the best you can do is cut your losses. No it doesn't excite me or make me all that hopeful for the future. But in general I do think it's easier to work with two smaller bad contracts than one huge one.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 04:01 PM   #49
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
This. For everyone screaming about horrible the Mavs are and how horrible Cuban is and how horrible this trade was... what more did you expect to get out of a KP trade? You think other teams were lining up around the block? Trading him at all I think is an accomplishment.

Unless the argument is then that we should just kept KP. In which case, I don't really know what to say. The sample size is more than big enough. We've seen the Luka-KP ceiling. It's not just about KP's inability to stay healthy. He's also just not that good and his fit next to Luka is questionable at best.

Sometimes the best you can do is cut your losses. No it doesn't excite me or make me all that hopeful for the future. But in general I do think it's easier to work with two smaller bad contracts than one huge one.
Just looking at the recent buyouts I'd much rather the Mavs had stood pat and rolled out a starting lineup of KP, DFS, Bullard, Luka and Brunson for the playoffs.

They could have signed Dragic and DSJ much cheaper to do the things they are asking Bertans & Dinwiddie to do off the bench.

Dragic, DSJ, Green, Kleber and Powell is pretty solid bench unit.
Old 02-21-2022, 04:17 PM   #50
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Just looking at the recent buyouts I'd much rather the Mavs had stood pat and rolled out a starting lineup of KP, DFS, Bullard, Luka and Brunson for the playoffs.

They could have signed Dragic and DSJ much cheaper to do the things they are asking Bertans & Dinwiddie to do off the bench.

Smith was waived because he is out 4 weeks with an injury. Doubt he is a candidate here.

And there was no guarantee we got Dragic anyway. What if we don't trade KP and Dragic still signs with Brooklyn? You could make the case that getting Dinwiddie shielded them from Mavs missing out on him after months of interest.

But yes, I mentioned a few times going with Luka/Brunson/Bullock/DFS/KP. We definitely have a better shot at advancing with that lineup.

BUT we aren't a contender either way, so there it is.

Old 02-21-2022, 06:09 PM   #51
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post

I don't think it takes a great deal of insight or behind the scenes knowledge to determine that something was wrong in the lockerroom with KP and has been for a while. Bottom line, I think Luka and KP were basically done with each other, and the Mavs were going to have to move on from KP either at the deadline or in the offseason. Given that he was generally considered one of the more untradeable players in the league, I imagine the Mavs figured it was better to take the offer they had for him right now, because there almost certainly wasn't going to be a better one in the offseason- especially if he got injured again, which, let's face it, is virtually inevitable. Imagine if we kept him and then he ends up missing the entire playoffs again. Then he's truly untradeable.

And I don't think we were going to get Dragic anyway.
Old 02-24-2022, 11:13 AM   #52
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Great take Spiral
Agree with the trade -
KP complained to others about Luka bring ball dominant - yet -
Kristaps Porzingis' 27.4% usage rate ranks 24th in the NBA this season among all players that have appeared in at least 25 games.
His usage rate with the Mavericks this season was higher than 11 players that were named All-Stars.

Last edited by dirt_dobber; 02-24-2022 at 11:13 AM.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:21 AM   #53
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
Great take Spiral
Agree with the trade -
KP complained to others about Luka bring ball dominant - yet -
Kristaps Porzingis' 27.4% usage rate ranks 24th in the NBA this season among all players that have appeared in at least 25 games.
His usage rate with the Mavericks this season was higher than 11 players that were named All-Stars.
All that with a team-worst eFG% of 44.5% on jumpers

Kleber 53.9%
Burke - 52.9%
Dodo - 51.1%
Frank - 50.8%
Powell - 50.0%
Brunson - 48.9%
Luka - 47.9%
THJ - 46.9%
KP - 44.5%

Only Green, Sterling, and slumping Bullock are shooting worse
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 09:06 AM   #54
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Porzingis, who was expected to return after the ASB, has been ruled out for Fridays game
Old 02-25-2022, 12:57 PM   #55
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post

Yeah I mean the Mavs got what they could, idk what people expected out of that deal. And honestly, the Mavs have a better (slightly) path forward. KP is still in a suit. Who knows how long that lasts. If Mavs waited til the end of the season, KP would have even worse value. Im not excited about the deal, but im not mad at it. He had to be moved and the sooner the better
Old 03-03-2022, 02:32 PM   #56
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

https://twitter.com/Underdog__NBA/st...46514753675270

I guess that's why they kept KP's injury under wraps. I'm happy to eat crow, but we didn't know the extent to the injury at the time.

Also found this that says he is progressing, but not playing is still not playing.

https://twitter.com/ChaseHughesNBCS/...579start%3D260

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 03-03-2022 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-03-2022, 02:41 PM   #57
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post

I guess that's why they kept KP's injury under wraps. I'm happy to eat crow, but we didn't know the extent to the injury at the time.

Also found this that says he is progressing, but not playing is still not playing.

I half wonder if they were dishonest. The Mavs twitter kept showing him working out with taglines like "it's close" and KP kept posting that he was ready to play.

They traded him and Washington was suddenly saying it was going to be before the ASB, then he'd be 100% before return to play after the ASB. Now it's a week after the ASB and he has no timetable.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 03-03-2022 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-03-2022, 02:45 PM   #58
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post

I’m SUPER happy to eat crow. I was down on the trade but it’s looking great right about now. As long as we are getting good Dinwiddie it’s a win, anything extra from Bertans is gravy.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 03:53 PM   #59
sig

sig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the rough

Seems they discussed trading him for Trent and Dragic before taking hte Spencer deal.
sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 11:35 PM   #60
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Trent is really good and getting better. We would have had to attach assets for that to happen I’d imagine, unless Toronto was way high on KP. And then it would have been a no-brainer.

Last edited by mac222b; 03-04-2022 at 11:36 PM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 08:30 AM   #61
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

I have been very pleasantly surprised by Dinwidfie's play, and Bertrans started off very hot. He's more athletic than I thought. KP still not playing for Wizards. I was very skeptical of this trade, but seems very solid so far. Have to think the Ukraine situation weighing heavily on Bertrans, and he'll come around again.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 06:31 PM   #62
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post
I have been very pleasantly surprised by Dinwidfie's play, and Bertrans started off very hot. He's more athletic than I thought. KP still not playing for Wizards. I was very skeptical of this trade, but seems very solid so far. Have to think the Ukraine situation weighing heavily on Bertrans, and he'll come around again.
Maybe I'm confused here but KP has been playing for washington.

He's had like 3 games where he scored 20 or more

As for Bertans I'm not sure when he started off hot. He played one good game and since then He's been just as bad as he was in Washington in terms of shooting.

I don't think that has anything to do with what's going on in Ukraine because he was struggling way before that incident started.

Dinwiddie has been pretty damn solid and I view him as a replacement for THJ because that's the role (6th man) he's taking on.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:39 PM   #63
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

DFS to SI:

"I feel like our team there's no jealousy now"

Interesting.
Old 03-16-2022, 03:13 PM   #64
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
DFS to SI:

Interesting.
And he has backed it up with his play since the trade, so those words have meaning.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:15 PM   #65
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
DFS to SI:

Interesting.
The proof is in the pudding. This team is just as good if not better without him. Chemistry is important.

Wizards are 1-3 with KP
Old 03-16-2022, 06:58 PM   #66
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
The proof is in the pudding. This team is just as good if not better without him. Chemistry is important.

Wizards are 1-3 with KP
LOL

Wizzards would be 1-3 even if they had LeBron on that roster
Old 03-21-2022, 11:44 AM   #67
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Need context though. KP is still hurt. Who knows how long this goes on for.

Dame, KAT, and Ayton have seasons where they play most games. And KP hasnt played a mostly full season since 2015 with 71 games.

Unfortunately this is who he is at 7'2. It was never going to improve.
Probably not, although the same could have been said for Tyson Chandler, at a much older age (and therefore even longer history of missing games)..and he played most of the season.

But, even if he doesn't, wasn't really pointing out that KP isn't actually as injury prone, compared to other NBA players, as people think. If you listen to the talking heads, you'd think he missed WAY more games than anyone else in the NBA, and that's far far from true.

But, not, we don't know what the future looks like, either.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 01:59 PM   #68
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Probably not, although the same could have been said for Tyson Chandler, at a much older age (and therefore even longer history of missing games)..and he played most of the season.

But, even if he doesn't, wasn't really pointing out that KP isn't actually as injury prone, compared to other NBA players, as people think. If you listen to the talking heads, you'd think he missed WAY more games than anyone else in the NBA, and that's far far from true.

Yeah Tyson was always injured before coming to Dallas.

But as of today's players is KP really any different from Anthony Davis or Zion?

Those two guys are injured just as much but like you said most fans would assume KP misses more games than all other players in NBA.

The trade is over now but I do think KP took more criticism then warranted especially since Rick used him incorrectly and the Mavs never truly got a secondary ball handler while both KP and Luka were here together.

The FO was just as much to blame for it's roster building approach
Old 03-21-2022, 02:29 PM   #69
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:

He's missed a hell of a lot of games while taking up 25-30% of the cap space. That's really the only qualifier to me with perhaps maybe fit being another.

I think there's a short list of the first point and that's where KP comes in, along with AD, though the latter is obviously better than KP when healthy.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 02:42 PM   #70
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

https://sports.yahoo.com/stephen-smi...220000959.html

SAS is usually wrong but I like this take
Old 03-21-2022, 02:52 PM   #71
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Just because there are a handful of other players that are as injury prone as KP, does not mean that KP is not injury prone.

Yes, Zion, AD, Kawhi, Embiid, and a few others are very, very injury prone. Everyone acknowledges this, nobody denies this. This idea that the media or fans cover for those other players and doesn't acknowledge that they're injury prone is a fantasy.

KP is injury prone. Very injury prone. Way more than all but a handful of other players. I'm amazed anyone would actually try to argue otherwise.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 03-21-2022 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-21-2022, 03:06 PM   #72
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Is KP the most injury-prone in the NBA? Certainly not.

Are KP's injuries totally concerning? Absolutely.

Some players are good enough that even though the injuries are disruptive, when they return from injury, they absolutely change the game.

When Embiid is healthy, the 76ers are NET +10.8pts per 48.
When Kawhi is health, the Clippers are +12.8pts per 48 (last year stats used for obvious reasons)
When Zion was healthy, the Pelicans are +7.7pts (last year's stats)

When KP was healthy, the Mavs were -3.8pts per 48 minutes.

That's not a player that's so good that you accept their limitations and just enjoy the boost they give you when healthy. That's also not the kind of impact you want from a max-level player.

Anyway, Bertans seems like a very limited (and overpaid) role player who is at best Peja/Walt Williams, but SD has finally filled that third ballhandler spot that we've been begging for. If we can get a decent PF/C this offseason (draft or trade) then this team could be VERY good.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 03-21-2022 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-24-2022, 12:26 AM   #73
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

https://youtu.be/rDzZQ6z8LsA

This was interesting