Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-25-2005, 03:38 AM   #1
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cowboys Gameday Thread: Dallas @ San Francisco

I guess since we can't count on chaffy anymore, here it is...

Let's hope the Cowboys show their fans and the rest of the country that they are a legitimate football team, especially after that embarassment on national TV.

Here is the ESPN preview:

Julian Peterson apparently is following Derek Smith's lead when it comes to putting his foot in his mouth.

Showing an abundance of confidence for the NFL's worst team last season, Peterson has stamped a "guarantee" that the San Francisco 49ers will beat the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday.

"You say I guaranteed it, yes," Peterson told the San Francisco Chronicle. "I think we're going to play well. I'm positive we're going to win, to be honest. We're going to go out there to win, or they're coming out here to lose."

Last week, Smith labeled Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver a "bad apple" and said he would love to get a shot at him.

It turned out that the 49ers had no shot against their former teammate, who had a 68-yard touchdown catch on the game's third play from scrimmage. He added a 42-yard TD reception in the second quarter and finished with five receptions for 143 yards as the Eagles rolled to a 42-3 rout.

The Niners were dismal on both sides of the ball. They allowed 583 total yards and managed just 142.

Tim Rattay was abysmal against the Eagles, completing just 13-of-26 passes for 107 yards with three interceptions before being pulled in the fourth quarter in favor of rookie Alex Smith.

Despite the struggles, Rattay will remain the starter.

"We're not changing anything. We're staying with the same structure at quarterback," Niners coach Mike Nolan said.

This is the first of consecutive games in the Bay Area for the Cowboys, who are coming off a historic loss.

Coach Bill Parcells had been 77-0 in his career when his teams held a lead of at least 13 points in the fourth quarter. But last Monday night, Parcells watched his defense surrender touchdown passes of 39 and 70 yards in the final 3:46 of a 14-13 loss to the Washington Redskins.

Cowboys quarterback Drew Bledsoe has played well in the first two games, completing 39-of-60 passes for 487 yards and four touchdowns.

Matchup to watch: Cowboys tight end Jason Witten, who has just five catches for 47 yards in two games, against strong safety Tony Parrish.

Series: San Francisco leads, 16-13-1.

Next week: Dallas visits Oakland, October 2 San Francisco visits Arizona at Mexico City, October 2

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2005, 08:26 AM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Cowboys Gameday Thread: Dallas @ San Francisco

I want to see Juilus go nuts....they did not run him enough against Washington....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 06:28 PM   #3
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

wooooooo. forums back up and the cowboys get a fumble recovery. it's been a sweet 3 minutes...
Old 09-25-2005, 06:36 PM   #4
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Cowboys Gameday Thread: Dallas @ San Francisco

Obviously I have seriously misjudged how good this Cowboys team is. This is just tragic.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:44 PM   #5
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Yay for Julius. Within 5 again.

I still can't quite believe this is happening.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:56 PM   #6
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

its not over yet...remember a few years ago when the cowboys could only play good at home? well I think the sanfrancisco 9ers have taken up that role this year..
Old 09-25-2005, 07:11 PM   #7
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

allright glenny boy
Old 09-25-2005, 07:15 PM   #8
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

goin for two? make it this time! (plz??)
Old 09-25-2005, 07:23 PM   #9
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Keyshawn is simply clutch

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 09-25-2005, 07:24 PM   #10
sike
The Preacha

our secondary is vastly overrated.....

Old 09-25-2005, 07:25 PM   #11
sike
The Preacha

DAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-25-2005, 07:28 PM   #12
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

muahaha - nguyen will eat all you niners
Old 09-25-2005, 07:31 PM   #13
ames7
Diamond Member

Unbelievable. They actually won. It shouldn't have even been this way, but that was pretty gutsy.

Gotta love Keyshawn. He is so money.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:00 PM   #14
sike
The Preacha

FORTUNATE...

Old 09-25-2005, 09:00 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Whole lot closer than I was hoping for but a road win in the NFL is something to be thankful for.

Congrats Cowboys.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 09:31 PM   #16
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

We would have been 3-0 if it hadn't been for four lousy minutes.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:32 PM   #17
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: Windmill360°
no sour grapes... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-25-2005, 09:37 PM   #18
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Windmill360°
I am a HUGE 'Boys fan, but I think it should be said that we could also be 0-3 at this point... We need a blow out win soon or I am going to need a transfusion the way my blood has been boiling lately!!! Too bad we have Moss next because I think our shaky safety play is going to burn us. A little blitzing might help, (can you hear me Zimmer?). We might just see Pile and Reeves at Safety next week and Roy at ILB...

Eh well... We lost a game we deserved to win and won a game we deserved to lose!!! I guess I will take 2-1 at this point...
Old 09-25-2005, 10:23 PM   #19
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Dat NGUYEN makes me so proud. =)

when alby starts the thread...
cowboys: 1-0 [img]i/expressions/anim_laugh.gif[/img]

Contact Me
Old 09-25-2005, 11:37 PM   #20
ames7
Diamond Member

Well at least we know the 2005 Cowboys aren't going to be boring, right? They're kinda like the Mavericks in that way... no lead is too big & no lead is ever enough. Brace for a year of little heart attacks.

Am extremely concerned that our weakness for coverage on deep passes has been exposed. Hopefully they figure this out soon or every opponent is going to try to burn us on it.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:11 AM   #21
alby
Guru

Bledsoe was simply amazing to watch today. Sure, there were times when I screamed and made funny groaning noises at the TV because he was holding the ball a little too long for my liking, but he delivered big time today.

Contact Me
Old 09-26-2005, 01:29 AM   #22
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I love the win, but some very questionable coaching calls today. They should have lined up and gone for it on fourth, rather than faking the punt. Everyone and their sister saw that coming. And the early two-point-conversion attempt? WAY too early in the gme to try that. It's a damn good thing it didn't come back to bite their ass.

This team has a tremendous amount of talent. Thus far they haven't come anywhere close living up to it--thanks in no small part, in my opinion, to the game management by the coaching staff.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 01:45 AM   #23
alby
Guru

Yeah, there was no reason to go for two points, it would have been 21-13 with 4 minutes left in the first half...

and the fake punk call was questionable considering that they converted a fourth and one earlier with JJ gaining 4 yards up the gut.

With that being said, our defense performed obviously not at their potential best but better than the numbers intially show. 7 points was because of the Bledsoe's interception, they held a 1st and goal at the 1 to a 49er field goal, and they pretty much stuffed Barlow all day. Henry got beat a few times (one really badly when he turned the wrong way and didn't even see the ball for a TD), but a couple of those was on the Keith Davis and Dallas's lack of coverage from their safeties. My biggest concern with our defense was our tackling today or lack there of.. especially from our secondary, that was embarassing to watch.

Next up is the Oakland Raiders.
They are 0-3 and coming back home after a very close loss up in Philly.
They are "due" for a victory.
Expect quite a few long balls to go towards Moss. Curry is out for the year.
Put pressure on Kerry Collins and he'll throw a couple balls right to us.
I would love to see Julius Jones carry the ball at least 30 times because frankly, the Raider defense isn't very good and we should be able to punish and wear them out keeping their offense off the field. I hope it will be a low scoring game, maybe giving up 14 or 17 points. I need reassurance from our defense that they are a legitimate unit. Go Cowboys.

Trust Big Bill

Contact Me
Old 09-26-2005, 07:56 AM   #24
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

What's the deal with Larry Allen?

And does anyone actually pay $10/mo. to read about that on the DMN site? ....Reallly?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 09:28 AM   #25
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Reportedly, Larry Allen was responding to Cortez attacking one of his fellow linemen. Although it looked like he was attacking him for the failed kick.

And as to DMN..... that newspaper is a shell of it's former self. I wish we had the Times Herald back. I still read the DMN back then, but at least they had competition to worry about. Now they just mail it in.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:00 PM   #26
alby
Guru

whatever the case was, why on earth would you yell back at Larry "I bench 700 pounds" Allen?

you deserve a shove in the face if you are going to be stupid enough to do that.

Contact Me
Old 09-26-2005, 01:09 PM   #27
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

You know what. Cortez already cost them a game. He missed an extra point he needs someone in his face and no one on this team has more "skins on the wall" then Larry Allen. We or at least I seriously misjudged this team. I thought we would be good defensively and average to poor offensively. We are good offensively and average to poor offensively. Ware for all his speed is very blockable. He is gonna end up being what people were scared derrick johnson was gonna be. DJ is a monster btw. Why do we run a 3-4? There is exactly one player on this team that is better off in a 3-4 than a 4-3. Jason Ferguson and i think he would be fine in a 4-3. This team is built to be a great 4-3 defense and we are turning it into a mediocre 3-4 D. Parcells is the Dallas area coach I hate the most. That is saying something bcus I consider the Rangers a Dallas area team. The thing that bothers me about Parcells is he should know better but honestly he hasnt been much better of a coach than campo was.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 01:33 PM   #28
alby
Guru

how were we going to be an average to poor offense?

Keyshawn, Terry Glenn at WR
Witten at TE
Jones at RB
Flozell, Larry, Al Johnson/Gurode, Rivera, Pettiti on the O-Line
Bledsoe at QB

that looks like a playoff caliber offense to me..
thus, if we dont make the playoffs, I would consider it would be a failure of a season..

our defense will come around

Trust Big Bill

*side note
has Pearless Price gotten any snaps?

Contact Me
Old 09-26-2005, 01:47 PM   #29
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Never trust the New Jersey con man.

He sucks. He is the sole reason I hardly ever get excited for the game to start. He is the sole reason I expect this team to lose every week.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:12 PM   #30
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

How exactly is this team built to be a great 4-3? The problems we've had with long ball have nothing to do with the scheme that we're running.

Also, understand that while this defense is still a work in progress, they’re 9th in the league in takeaways. That’s after finishing 26th last season and, without looking, in the lowest quartile for the better part of the past decade.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:33 PM   #31
alby
Guru

I think our 3-4 is working fine, we are getting alot more pressure on the opposing quarterback than in previous years. Giving up the big plays thus far has got to fall on the shoulders of Roy Williams and Keith Davis, not in our front seven.

Give the defense time, they are very young in key positions. This will be a top 5 defense by the end of the year.

Trust Big Bill.

Contact Me
Old 09-26-2005, 03:48 PM   #32
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Coleman is another fellow who has benefited greatly from the switch to the 4-3.

I'd say that by the second half of the season our front seven will be looking awfully scary.

I'm greatly concerned about safety, but other than that I feel very good about the defense.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:40 PM   #33
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I think that they will be a good front 7 defensively but I think they would be better off in a 4-3. I do not trust Bill and if he hadnt had the success he had elsewhere and you were judging him by what he has done here you wouldnt either. Keyshawn, glenn, and crayton didnt do a hell of alot for me before the year. Key is slow, glenn was coming off of an injury. Crayton hadnt done anything coming into the year. Witten is a beast as is Jones. I was worried that our oline wouldnt be able to protect bledsoe. Petiti has been a pleasant surprise. The oline not protecting Drew also concerned me about blocking for jones. Plus we have terrible play callers. I have been surprised. One reason we get more pressure is we blitz more. Also we should have good numbers against the run because in reality we run a 3-5-3.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:45 PM   #34
alby
Guru

keyshawn has never been "fast" in his life, but he still produces and has managed to be the #1 reciever everywhere hes been.
glenn was coming off an injury in which he fully recovered and was reuniting with drew bledsoe.
we had a great competition between crayton and morgan for the 3rd reciever in which patrick played very well to earn the spot and now we add price.
the offensive line has three pro bowlers.

actually, i think we blitzed more in years past because we couldn't get enough pressure with just four guys.
we are good against the run because our linebackers and defensive ends can run like hell and furguson is huge in the middle drawing two guys to block him.

we are definitely a playoff caliber team

Contact Me
Old 09-26-2005, 05:13 PM   #35
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think that they will be a good front 7 defensively but I think they would be better off in a 4-3.
Why?

Don't get too caught up on a scheme...good players will make plays in any scheme. Plus we're playing with four linemen in the nickel, same as we would in 4-3.

Quote:
I do not trust Bill and if he hadnt had the success he had elsewhere and you were judging him by what he has done here you wouldn’t either.
First of all, why would you want to discount everything he's done in the past? That gives him instant credibility with the players, something no Cowboys coach has had since Jimmy. Secondly, he took a perennial 5-11 team to the playoffs. This team and organization are clearly better off than it was when he arrived.

Quote:
Keyshawn, glenn, and crayton didnt do a hell of alot for me before the year. Key is slow, glenn was coming off of an injury. Crayton hadnt done anything coming into the year. Witten is a beast as is Jones. I was worried that our oline wouldnt be able to protect bledsoe. Petiti has been a pleasant surprise.
sounds like you're saying that Bill knew a little bit more about his team than you did.

Quote:
I have been surprised. One reason we get more pressure is we blitz more.
Not really. Two years ago we blitzed more than any team should and still finished 22nd in takeways. We turned the Niners over 3 times yesterday and none of them were a result of the biltz. We haven't blitzed much in the past two weeks.

Quote:
Also we should have good numbers against the run because in reality we run a 3-5-3.
Roy Williams has been on this team for 4 years so I think we can conclude that having him on you're roster doesn’t guarantee a stout run defense. You have to put him in position to make plays and obviously this scheme that you detest is doing just that.

It’s beyond me how a Cowboy fan could be so anti-Parcells. In addition to everything he’s accomplished on the filed, he’s made the team relevant again. We’re coming off of a 6-10 season and we don’t really have any national marquee players yet Fox had us featured as their no.1 game in week one. We have two MNF appearances and a Sunday night appearance. If you don’t think Bill Parcells is a huge reason then you blinded by your hate.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:29 PM   #36
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

I am certain that the reason we have 2 MNF appearances is because of Parcells. It sure isn't because of the excitement generated by the team last year.

I don't hate Parcells. I just don't trust him. Now with Bellichick paired with him I think I would be excited.

Not real sold on the idea that we are relevant again either.

Don't get me wrong. I love to win. I just don't expect it. So when we do win, it's a pleasant surprise.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:43 PM   #37
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Not real sold on the idea that we are relevant again either.
By relevant I mean on the national radar and I judge that with things like national television appearances and space in popular national columns like Peter King's MMQB.

Just remember this: Parcells has been with three organizations before the Cowboys and he left all three of them in good shape. Especially the Pats and the Jets where he had more say in personnel matters than he did with the Giants.

Perhaps the most important thing he's accomplished is getting rid of Larry Lacewell. This was just the first of a series of drafts that will return this team to its rightful place.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:23 PM   #38
Five-ofan
Guru

Dirno I would like to first admit that despite liking to consider myself as a person that knows a good deal about football, I do not think that I am close to Parcells as far as football knowledge. That said this is a message board and I am just saying what I think. Parcells gets paid alot of money for what he knows about football while I post on an internet message board when I should be studying for my Calc 2 test tommorow. I have always hated Parcells. I dont like coaches that make the game all about them. I dont dislike belicheck nearly as much though because I know 2 patriots players and I like them by default because of that. I may disagree with alot of parcells decisions but I wont really be worried about him until he starts managing to please the fans which I doubt he will do. I agree about good players making plays but I think that its clear that the 2 best players on our D are Ellis and Glover in that order. This is a horrible defense for ellis and not a great one for glover. If players make plays in any system why the need for the 3-4? Again im just saying my opinions and I dont want it to look like i think im smarter than Parcells or any NFL coach for that matter. Well maybe Mike Tice. (JK)
Old 09-26-2005, 07:53 PM   #39
alby
Guru

Greg Ellis has 2 sacks through 3 games while playing about half of the snaps on defense, looks like he is benefitting from the change to the 3-4 to me..

I think he realized to stop complaining when he noticed that he was still fresh in the 4th quarter, while his guy on the other side of the ball is fatigued and gasping for air. Thank you 3-4 defense.

Contact Me
Old 09-26-2005, 08:29 PM   #40
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Five-ofan
Dirno I would like to first admit that despite liking to consider myself as a person that knows a good deal about football, I do not think that I am close to Parcells as far as football knowledge. That said this is a message board and I am just saying what I think. Parcells gets paid alot of money for what he knows about football while I post on an internet message board when I should be studying for my Calc 2 test tommorow. I have always hated Parcells. I dont like coaches that make the game all about them. I dont dislike belicheck nearly as much though because I know 2 patriots players and I like them by default because of that. I may disagree with alot of parcells decisions but I wont really be worried about him until he starts managing to please the fans which I doubt he will do. I agree about good players making plays but I think that its clear that the 2 best players on our D are Ellis and Glover in that order. This is a horrible defense for ellis and not a great one for glover. If players make plays in any system why the need for the 3-4? Again im just saying my opinions and I dont want it to look like i think im smarter than Parcells or any NFL coach for that matter. Well maybe Mike Tice. (JK)
Fair enough, you can't like everybody and he does have a sizable ego. As far as why he's going to a 3-4, he's just more comfortable with it. Didn't want to rock the boat when he came in but after last year the boat needed to be rocked.