Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #1
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute
Default Allan Houston working out with eye on returning to NBA

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2967380

Houston working out with eye on returning to NBA

By Chris Broussard
ESPN The Magazine
(Archive)

Updated: August 9, 2007, 1:03 PM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

Reggie Miller is not the only former All-Star shooting guard considering a comeback. Allan Houston, one of the deadliest jump shooters of the past 15 years, is also looking to return to the NBA.

"It's something I'd like to do,'' Houston said in a telephone interview Thursday morning. "It's just a matter of getting myself back in game shape and getting used to playing again.''

Houston, 36, was forced into retirement in October 2005 after an arthritic left knee limited him to just 70 games over the previous two seasons. In 2002-2003, his last full season, he led the Knicks and finished 10th in the NBA with a career-high 22.5 point scoring average.

Houston, who worked as an NBA analyst for ESPN last season, said he has been working out hard for more than a month and that his knee feels great. He recently played in high-caliber (though not NBA level) summer league games in New York and plans to work out in Las Vegas with a personal basketball trainer later this month.

He would not discuss which, if any, teams have shown interest in signing him, but sources say Dallas and Cleveland headline the list of interested clubs. Boston, which has contacted Miller about a comeback, Phoenix, Miami and perhaps San Antonio, are also teams that would be logical destinations.

Out of courtesy, Houston informed Knicks owner James L. Dolan of his comeback attempt earlier this summer, and Dolan has allowed him to train at the Knicks' practice facility. It is not clear whether the Knicks would be interested in signing him, but Houston, who lives in nearby Connecticut, said he would not rule out a return to the place he played the last nine seasons of his 12-year career.

Houston, a career 17.3 point scorer, was still near the top of his game when he retired. He averaged 18.5 points in 50 games during the 2003-04 season, and while visibly struggling through knee pain, still managed to average 11.9 points in 26 minutes during his 20-game stint in 2004-05.

However, the two-time all-star and 2000 Olympic gold medalist is not expecting to return as a 20-point scorer.

"I'm looking to play a supporting role to some of these great young stars,'' Houston said. "More of a leadership role, someone who can add experience and stability late in games. I don't expect my scoring and my minutes to be what they used to, but at the same time, I'm not looking to just be a decoy out there. I'd like to have some kind of role.''

Chris Broussard covers the NBA for ESPN The Magazine
Old 08-09-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Eddie Jones, Chris Webber, Allan Houston.

What...are they starting a wheelchair league?
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:57 PM   #3
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

Hey, Clyde the Glide was looking pretty good on Dancing with the Stars! Maybe we should call him too!
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

ahah this is kinda nice...I hope he goes to Boston and they win it all...as soon as the Mavs do

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr
Eddie Jones, Chris Webber, Allan Houston.

What...are they starting a wheelchair league?

One of Windmill's finer works.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:24 PM   #6
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by craggmac
Hey, Clyde the Glide was looking pretty good on Dancing with the Stars! Maybe we should call him too!

Wasn't it last year that he teased a comeback with the Nuggets? That would have been interesting to see, even if he didn't belong on a basketball court anymore.

I hope Allan Houston finds his way back into the NBA, because I remember him being productive up to the last game he played before he shut it down. I would have been all for signing him if we didn't decide on EJ instead, but such is life. Who knows if he even has much left?
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:35 PM   #7
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan

One of Windmill's finer works.

haha, lol holy shit that is awesome. good work windmill
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote