Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 12-22-2008, 10:35 AM   #161
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
This kind of seems to be setting up for a round 2 exit. Since we would win a wild card game to get there, that's an improvement, right?

Not sure how much I really trust the Cowboys anymore, but if they can make it into the playoffs, either possible first round matchup kind of looks like a gimme with the way Arizona and Minnesota look right now. We'll probably play the next opponent close, and then make some embarassing gaffe that costs us the game.

Yeah, that sounds about right.
I think Arizone gives us a problem because of the bigger receivers and capable WR that would wear our defense down. I think they are playing for nothing and that is the reason we saw that type of game yesterday. I think they are more worried about healing and being healthy for the playoffs. Very smart move for them. Now, the Vikings look like a mess. They have nothing at WR or TE and nothing really at the QB position. That leaves just Peterson and he is a hand full, but I think our defense line can dominate the offensive line of Minn. IMO..

Last edited by Silk Smoov; 12-22-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2008, 11:14 AM   #162
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

sad....
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:19 PM   #163
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

From listening to TheTicket and reading various quotes in the papers, it really doesn't appear that the players have much positive to say with regards to how well they were prepared by the coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:27 PM   #164
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Link

Jason Witten is a medical mess. He's dealt with a dislocated shoulder and broken rib this season. He's played the last couple weeks on a sprained ankle that is swollen and purple. Now he has a sprained knee.

Any doubt he'll play next week in Philadelphia?

"I'll be able to go," Witten said as he hobbled out of the Texas Stadium locker room for the last time...

Heart.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:30 PM   #165
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

I also heart Witten, ty.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #166
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

I know Choice has been great and all, but I really hope Barber will be playing on Sunday.

He's the type of player that not only produces, but makes opposing defenses tired.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
Old 12-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #167
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to have a healthy Barber...but, the Cowboys haven't missed a beat in the running game with choice in for barber.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #168
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

The Philly/Dallas game has been moved to 3:15. So Philly will know before the game starts whether or not they have anything to play for.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #169
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest difference between having Choice and Barber is the blitz pick ups. That rookie can't find a linebacker to save his life.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:07 PM   #170
Murphy3
Guru

...which is why I said "in the running game". Personally, I have never thought that Barber was all that great at blocking in the passing game... He has gotten better though.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:09 PM   #171
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I think Choice has been great. And he's been great against 3 of the best defenses in the league. Fact is, Ravens are going to blitz you. And they're going to have success. I want Barber out there as well. I pray Barber is healthy and he and Choice have atleast 35 carries between them.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:11 PM   #172
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
...which is why I said "in the running game". Personally, I have never thought that Barber was all that great at blocking in the passing game... He has gotten better though.
I don't think Barber is either. Or any running back for that matter. I don't expect my running back to block like a lineman or hell even like a tight end. I think Barber doesn't hurt you when it comes to blocking but he's missed assignments just like Choice has. SO I can't really say there is much of a layoff in the running back department. Especially if Barber is still hurt.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:49 PM   #173
ty
Diamond Member

You must be kidding me if you don't think there is a difference between their blocking abilities.

I don't think anybody expects their RB to block like a lineman...but the purpose of them staying in the backfield on the pass is solely to pick up the blitz.

Barber is known for ability to pick up a blitzing LB...as well as make them pay for coming into the pocket at all. Just ask John Madden.

Tashard is a great runner, but his rookie label is most apparent when it comes to blocking. Before he received any playing time, this was a primary concern. He definitely hasn't shown any great blocking ability thus far.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:11 PM   #174
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

IF....IF we get in, I like the matchup better with Arizona over Minnesota.

Arizona is just a mess right now and they have absolutely nothing in the run game. They're very inexperienced and taking time off between this last game and this final game ruins their rhythm in the offense.

Minnesota is a dangerous team. You really don't know what to expect from Jackson. He could be sharp or he could be a mess. You know Peterson is going to wear down the defense. It's just too dicey of a situation with Minnesota.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:18 PM   #175
ty
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
You know Peterson is going to wear down the defense.
Yup, if you're going to give up an 88 yard run to a 265-lb full back, what do you think Adrian Peterson is going to do to this defense?

Old 12-22-2008, 04:30 PM   #176
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty View Post
Yup, if you're going to give up an 88 yard run to a 265-lb full back, what do you think Adrian Peterson is going to do to this defense?
If Tarvaris Jackson plays like he has the past few weeks and Peterson rolls well...we're in serious, serious trouble if we play them. That's the problem though, you just don't know for sure if Jackson has turned the corner.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #177
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty View Post
You must be kidding me if you don't think there is a difference between their blocking abilities.

I don't think anybody expects their RB to block like a lineman...but the purpose of them staying in the backfield on the pass is solely to pick up the blitz.

Barber is known for ability to pick up a blitzing LB...as well as make them pay for coming into the pocket at all. Just ask John Madden.

Tashard is a great runner, but his rookie label is most apparent when it comes to blocking. Before he received any playing time, this was a primary concern. He definitely hasn't shown any great blocking ability thus far.
Actually, in previous seasons, the Cowboys would often put in Julius Jones on third downs because he was much better at picking up the blitz.

But hey... I'm just stating the truth. I never said that Barber wasn't better at it than choice.. I just said that he isn't the greatest in the world at picking up blitzes.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:54 PM   #178
ty
Diamond Member

Quote:
Actually, in previous seasons, the Cowboys would often put in Julius Jones on third downs because he was much better at picking up the blitz.

But hey... I'm just stating the truth. I never said that Barber wasn't better at it than choice.. I just said that he isn't the greatest in the world at picking up blitzes.
Hm, that's interesting, because the truth I remember was that Barber was in the backfield on third down situations for the majority of plays--especially since he was such a big threat at picking up the first down regardless of a run/pass situation.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #179
Murphy3
Guru

Yes, last year he was in there more often on third down than in the past... I suppose I should have specified what I meant by "him getting better" and "in previous seasons".

I wasn't implying that he sucked at picking up blitzes. I was saying that there was a time in the not too distant past where he wasn't considered that great at picking up the blitz. Yes, he is trusted to do so now alot more than back a couple of years ago.. but, I still don't think he's great at picking up the blitz.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:08 PM   #180
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I rather play Minn and stack 9 in the box actually.

Either team, we should be the favorites.

Contact Me
Old 12-22-2008, 06:24 PM   #181
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
I rather play Minn and stack 9 in the box actually.

Either team, we should be the favorites.
Based on the stat lines for Minnesota as of late...I can't trust that's going to work. I think this week's game for them will be a SLIGHTLY better point of comparison for what Jackson can do against a stout D. I have no idea if the Giants will rest their guys all the way or not. Either way, I can't expect that stacking the box with 8 or 9 will lead to an easy victory for the Cowboys. It can get the job done, but it's hard to lock it up.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:29 PM   #182
alby
Guru

I am scared of Arizona's vertical passing attack, have you seen our safeties?

Contact Me
Old 12-22-2008, 06:54 PM   #183
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
I am scared of Arizona's vertical passing attack, have you seen our safeties?
It's the opposite of the Vikings, You can just leave practically 3-4 in the box and just let everyone focus on those WRs.

Seriously, their running game is bad...how about the worst.
Dare them to run and take them out of their element.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:33 PM   #184
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather play the Vikes than the Cards. Only Peterson is scary, and the Cowboys have a pretty tough run D (though certainly not as good as some thought--see the end of the Baltimore game).

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:45 PM   #185
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
From listening to TheTicket and reading various quotes in the papers, it really doesn't appear that the players have much positive to say with regards to how well they were prepared by the coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball.
Yeah, I know in the postgame press conference, Romo said it took the offense three quarters to figure out what Baltimore was doing on defense. Basically he said that Baltimore wasn't really blitzing so they could keep people back to double team on the Cowboys top options, but they couldn't figure out where the pressure was coming from so Baltimore got the best of both worlds. He didn't blame the coaching staff or anything, but to me that's a problem that the coaches are supposed to be solving.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:50 PM   #186
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Yeah, I know in the postgame press conference, Romo said it took the offense three quarters to figure out what Baltimore was doing on defense. Basically he said that Baltimore wasn't really blitzing so they could keep people back to double team on the Cowboys top options, but they couldn't figure out where the pressure was coming from so Baltimore got the best of both worlds. He didn't blame the coaching staff or anything, but to me that's a problem that the coaches are supposed to be solving.
Thats a problem that the QB is suppose to solve as well. Romo must learn to recognize what teams are doing starting in the 1st quarter. It takes a team effort of first Romo, then Garrett then the guys upstairs to figure it out. The most important piece is Romo who is looking at the situation first hand and at game speed. His input is vital in order to help see whats going on.

It could not be that hard to figure out because the commentators were seeing what was going on from early on in the game. The whole point is that it is the QB job to adjust when he gets under center and make the right adjustments to beat the defense. The defense does not tip off the offense until Romo gets under center or the linemens line-up. There is no way for Garrett or the coaching staff to react then, it is all on Romo..It is all a part of managing the game..
Old 12-23-2008, 10:35 AM   #187
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

WTF??? Choice has been doing a great job on the blitz pick-up. That was the biggest conern, but every play that I focused on watching Choice and there was a block to be made, he made it.

Sure Barber dishes out more pain...but from what I've seen the passing game has NOT been hurt by Choice' blocking ability. I can recall one play where 3 guys shot through on a middle gap and choice took the lead guy out, knocking him into the other 2 guys...Romo had time and got rid of the ball untouched.

The problems in the passing game appear to be between Romo and his Receivers...they are reading the game differently and I am starting to question Romo and his leadership???

Is Romo finding out that he is no better than McNabb...both have great skills, but when its crunch time, they both appear to make similar mistakes and both appear to lack when it comes to leadership ability.

McNabb is the great QB hope in Philly and he has failed...they have suffered through years of hoping...is Romo now the great QB hope in Dallas...do we need to pull the plug before we go down years of hoping?

I know that nearly all of us, including me love Romo, he has been such a refreshing change from what we had at QB for a few years...but we have to start looking at reality. Calling him the next Brett Favre is exciting, but when it came time, Favre delivered...while Romo is getting worse.

Off the field, there is nobody I would want my kids hanging out with more than Romo, but on the field, I want a leader at the QB position...someone who will take charge and not be so 'Nice'.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:30 AM   #188
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov View Post
Thats a problem that the QB is suppose to solve as well. Romo must learn to recognize what teams are doing starting in the 1st quarter. It takes a team effort of first Romo, then Garrett then the guys upstairs to figure it out. The most important piece is Romo who is looking at the situation first hand and at game speed. His input is vital in order to help see whats going on.

It could not be that hard to figure out because the commentators were seeing what was going on from early on in the game. The whole point is that it is the QB job to adjust when he gets under center and make the right adjustments to beat the defense. The defense does not tip off the offense until Romo gets under center or the linemens line-up. There is no way for Garrett or the coaching staff to react then, it is all on Romo..It is all a part of managing the game..
Ok.... so... we're still in the era of where the QB's are responsible 100% for play calling and the o-line blocking scheme? I thought for sure that most of that was taken care of by the coaches in today's game. So, is Romo the guy that decides the type of blocking scheme? I think this is primarily what he's talking about.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:08 PM   #189
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Like murph said, Romo was more or less talking about the blocking scheme. And I don't think there are too many quarterbacks in charge of that. Is Tony Romo 100% blame free? No, I'm sure there's stuff he could have done to help break down the defense. But the majority of the blame falls on the coaching staff. If they aren't taking care of this, what exactly are they getting paid for?

Nice try though.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 12-24-2008, 11:48 PM   #190
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Like murph said, Romo was more or less talking about the blocking scheme. And I don't think there are too many quarterbacks in charge of that. Is Tony Romo 100% blame free? No, I'm sure there's stuff he could have done to help break down the defense. But the majority of the blame falls on the coaching staff. If they aren't taking care of this, what exactly are they getting paid for?

Nice try though.
How could I forget that the coaches play the game. Sorry about that, for some reason I thought the players played the game, and the coaches prepared for the game. My bad I am so sorry that I thought the QB was the one managing the game on the field and that when the defense adjusts from play to play, that the QB is the one making the calls on the field once the defense sets. My bad, I also thought that maybe that Garrett makes an offensive call before the defense is set, then if Romo looks at the defense and sees that play call needs some adjustment according to what he was reading was up to Romo.

I guess once Garrett calls in a play, then the QB is helpless if the defense calls a good defensive play to stop what the offense is trying to do.

Are you sure you still want to stick with Romo's job is NOT to read the defense once he gets under center? Are you sure you really want to say that? At some point you will have to look more closely at what Romo controls on the field. I see it, and I think many others see it, and I am seeing even on this message board even Romo big backers are seeing it as well.

Do we have a better option than Romo currently on the market? I dont think so, but that does not mean that I dont see what he is during on the field. I guess you are waiting on the big win by Romo against the Lowly Eagles so that you can say that Romo is such a great qb in the clutch? If Romo wins on Sunday, I will say he did a wonderful job, but if he loses this game, and the Cowboys dont make the playoffs, I will be first in line saying we need to do something about out QB situation real fast. To be honest, if Romo performs well on Sunday and we win, I will be about 4th or 5th in line praising him, but on the other hand if he does bad and we dont make the players, I will be 1st in line. Nothing against Romo, because I think he is a great guy, but I am just looking at his numbers, his performance and the wins/loses and his track record is not good in December.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:52 PM   #191
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Ok.... so... we're still in the era of where the QB's are responsible 100% for play calling and the o-line blocking scheme? I thought for sure that most of that was taken care of by the coaches in today's game. So, is Romo the guy that decides the type of blocking scheme? I think this is primarily what he's talking about.
Come on, you read what I put. YES, Romo is responsible for making the adjustments at the line of scrimmage no matter who made the offensive call. That is the job of the QB. I think this is what makes guys like Brady, Peyton so good that they can see what the defense is doing and make adjustments that work most of the time for the most part. Not every time, but most. I dont see Romo making those adjustments, other than to take off and hopefully the receiver and himself are thinking the same exact thing w/o even talking. As I watch the tapes, I am seeing that alot of times, ALL of the receivers are reading something totally different than Romo. That tells me for the most part Romo is not reading the defense well. I think that T.O., Whitten, Roy type of receivers are smart enough to read what the defense is doing, but I question Romo. IMO
Old 12-25-2008, 12:49 AM   #192
BGMaverick9
Guru

Silk, I understand your points and all...but given the nature of the league, what exactly do you think the option is when you say "I will be first in line saying we need to do something about out QB situation real fast."

You can't exactly trade Romo away for a QB, are you going to trade him for pieces? If so...you still are looking for a franchise quarterback. This isn't a very trade friendly league with its superstars. Off the quick glance, via FA, you're looking at Cassel and Garcia. Do those FAs satisfy?

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 12-25-2008 at 12:49 AM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:06 AM   #193
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov View Post
How could I forget that the coaches play the game. Sorry about that, for some reason I thought the players played the game, and the coaches prepared for the game. My bad I am so sorry that I thought the QB was the one managing the game on the field and that when the defense adjusts from play to play, that the QB is the one making the calls on the field once the defense sets. My bad, I also thought that maybe that Garrett makes an offensive call before the defense is set, then if Romo looks at the defense and sees that play call needs some adjustment according to what he was reading was up to Romo.

I guess once Garrett calls in a play, then the QB is helpless if the defense calls a good defensive play to stop what the offense is trying to do.

Are you sure you still want to stick with Romo's job is NOT to read the defense once he gets under center? Are you sure you really want to say that? At some point you will have to look more closely at what Romo controls on the field. I see it, and I think many others see it, and I am seeing even on this message board even Romo big backers are seeing it as well.

Do we have a better option than Romo currently on the market? I dont think so, but that does not mean that I dont see what he is during on the field. I guess you are waiting on the big win by Romo against the Lowly Eagles so that you can say that Romo is such a great qb in the clutch? If Romo wins on Sunday, I will say he did a wonderful job, but if he loses this game, and the Cowboys dont make the playoffs, I will be first in line saying we need to do something about out QB situation real fast. To be honest, if Romo performs well on Sunday and we win, I will be about 4th or 5th in line praising him, but on the other hand if he does bad and we dont make the players, I will be 1st in line. Nothing against Romo, because I think he is a great guy, but I am just looking at his numbers, his performance and the wins/loses and his track record is not good in December.
This is a wonderful tangent you've gone off on, but the question still remains unanswered - is Romo responsible for the blocking scheme or not?

I don't know how many quarterbacks are responsible for truly managing the game on the field like you are suggesting. Peyton Manning does it, but then again how many Peyton Mannings are there out there? Do you really think the Kerry Collinses of the worlds are doing all this? How about even the Aaron Rodgerses?

And if the quarterbacks are responsible for all of this, why are coaches even showing up to the games?

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 12-25-2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:38 AM   #194
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

^Well, someone's gotta take the kool-aid bath at the end of a win.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:30 PM   #195
ty
Diamond Member

I will be more pissed than last year if we lose this game.