Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-19-2022, 05:33 AM   #41
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
And on that note, the trade for Wood makes me that much more glad we parted with Carlisle, because I just have a feeling that Carlisle and Wood would be a toxic combination. Very few coaches have as much of a reputation for being disliked by players as Carlisle does.
Very important but overlooked point. Anytime fans discuss free agency, two questions that inevitably had to come up: would he fit/adapt into Carlisle?s system and would Rick have problems with said player.

Initially, I was very anti Kidd all off-season, but I was still excited to see the team without Carlisle.
Old 06-19-2022, 08:57 AM   #42
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

It?s not always fair to blame a GM for moves they didn?t make. We don?t know what was available

But holy shit Nico has in one season outdone everything that Donnie did since he drafted Luka and Jalen
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 09:57 AM   #43
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
It?s not always fair to blame a GM for moves they didn?t make. We don?t know what was available

But holy shit Nico has in one season outdone everything that Donnie did since he drafted Luka and Jalen
Oh it's fair. And the fact that Donnie is suing the Mavs because they didn't make him GM for eternity begs the question whether he was purposely sabotaging moves near the end of his tenure. FA 2019 til the day he was fired has to be some of the worst GMing in league history.

This move is full proof in almost every way. It's hilarious seeing reactions from Lakers fans that they can't make moves like this because the league and teams are out to get them. LMAO.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 01:02 PM   #44
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Oh it's fair. And the fact that Donnie is suing the Mavs because they didn't make him GM for eternity begs the question whether he was purposely sabotaging moves near the end of his tenure. FA 2019 til the day he was fired has to be some of the worst GMing in league history.

This move is full proof in almost every way. It's hilarious seeing reactions from Lakers fans that they can't make moves like this because the league and teams are out to get them. LMAO.
20+ years of bad drafting is the biggest indictment against Donnie. In Donnie's entire tenure, I can count on one hand the number of Mavs first round picks that weren't completely wasted. And that INCLUDES Dirk and Luka. Josh Howard, Devin Harris, Dennis Smith Jr.... That's it.

While the Wood trade was an absolute home run- grand slam- even, I'm really looking forward to seeing how well Nico can draft. Because I firmly believe that smart drafting the bedrock of how great teams are built. All the good trades in the world can't make up for bad drafting. Even if you're a title contender drafting near the bottom every year, a great GM can and needs to find value with those late picks to keep the title window open. The Spurs did it year after year after year. The Warriors got Jordan Poole at #28. There are countless examples. I'm not saying you have to get stars, but you at least need guys who are solid rotation players and can contribute to winning basketball.

That's why I'm desperately hoping Josh Green actually becomes something. We really needed to hit on that pick, because we're probably not going to have a better one any time in the foreseeable future. He's still only 21, so I haven't written him off yet, but man, for the first two years, that has basically been a wasted pick, and we CANNOT afford to waste our picks. It hurts to think how much better off and how much closer to a title we'd be if we had drafted Desmond Bane like everyone in the basketball world was saying we should instead of Josh "Who the F*ck Are You" Green.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 01:16 PM   #45
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
20+ years of bad drafting is the biggest indictment against Donnie. In Donnie's entire tenure, I can count on one hand the number of Mavs first round picks that weren't completely wasted. And that INCLUDES Dirk and Luka. Josh Howard, Devin Harris, Dennis Smith Jr.... That's it.

While the Wood trade was an absolute home run- grand slam- even, I'm really looking forward to seeing how well Nico can draft. Because I firmly believe that smart drafting the bedrock of how great teams are built. All the good trades in the world can't make up for bad drafting. Even if you're a title contender drafting near the bottom every year, a great GM can and needs to find value with those late picks to keep the title window open. The Spurs did it year after year after year. The Warriors got Jordan Poole at #28. There are countless examples. I'm not saying you have to get stars, but you at least need guys who are solid rotation players and can contribute to winning basketball.

That's why I'm desperately hoping Josh Green actually becomes something. We really needed to hit on that pick, because we're probably not going to have a better one any time in the foreseeable future. He's still only 21, so I haven't written him off yet, but man, for the first two years, that has basically been a wasted pick, and we CANNOT afford to waste our picks. It hurts to think how much better off and how much closer to a title we'd be if we had drafted Desmond Bane like everyone in the basketball world was saying we should instead of Josh "Who the F*ck Are You" Green.
^^ In total fairness to Donnie though, he DID want Giannis, and Cuban vetoed it for a minuscule amount of cash so we would could swing and miss on Dwight Howard... again. So at least in that instance, it's not Donnie's fault that we passed on one of the top 20 players of all time for literally nothing.
Old 06-19-2022, 05:22 PM   #46
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

lol here is the difference between Powell and Wood.

https://twitter.com/Pagor93/status/1...558592/photo/1

Old 06-19-2022, 06:32 PM   #47
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
lol here is the difference between Powell and Wood.

https://twitter.com/Pagor93/status/1...558592/photo/1
Christian Wood- Actual NBA player. Borderline star.

Dwight Powell- Not good enough to play in the NBA anymore. Might do well in the G League.
Old 06-19-2022, 08:57 PM   #48
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:

Dwight Powell- Not good enough to play in the NBA anymore. Might do well in the G League.
Literally one of the top 4 offensive centers in the league. This move is huge if he keeps his head straight. Although, all I've heard is anecdotal stuff mostly. I know he refused to go back in a game against Denver, but I haven't seen any other concrete head case stuff.

Old 06-19-2022, 11:27 PM   #49
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Quote:

Lmao. I read that as Dwight Howard rather than Dwight Powell. I need to slow down.
Old 06-19-2022, 11:53 PM   #50
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
Lmao. I read that as Dwight Howard rather than Dwight Powell. I need to slow down.
Dwight Howard would actually be a good fit here. We still need that bigger, bruiser type of big.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 06-19-2022 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:01 PM   #51
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

This is an excellent article and one that highlights what I said about Wood's ability to defend on the perimeter. It also spotlights his terribleness as post defender.

But that perimeter defense is going to be more key IMO. With the way switches happen at lightning speed, you gotta cover basically anyone you're switched on. Just have to figure out a strategy to hide him in post iso D.

https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/202...vericks-trade/

Old 06-20-2022, 02:14 PM   #52
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is an excellent article and one that highlights what I said about Wood's ability to defend on the perimeter. It also spotlights his terribleness as post defender.

But that perimeter defense is going to be more key IMO. With the way switches happen at lightning speed, you gotta cover basically anyone you're switched on. Just have to figure out a strategy to hide him in post iso D.

Excellent article with an objective data-based look at Wood. Thank you for sharing. Franko is a great writer.

I suspect we will add another 2/3 and another center.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:24 PM   #53
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Luka - $36.6m
Brunson - $22m???
DFS - $12.5m
Bull - $10m
Wood - $14.3m

-----------

THJ - $19.6m
Dinwiddie - $20.2m
Maxi - $9m
Bertans - $16m
Green - $3.1m

Ntlikina - $2m
Powell - $11m
???
???
Pinson - $vetmin

To expand on what I was saying above, we have three roster spots, I think we will end up using two.

Last edited by tap2390; 06-21-2022 at 06:58 AM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:30 PM   #54
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Excellent article with an objective data-based look at Wood. Thank you for sharing. Franko is a great writer.

I suspect we will add another 2/3 and another center.
Well that potential on perimeter D means you can think about bringing Bullock off the bench. I just don't want to start Kleber because I feel he is still being overused. I'd rather move Powell and get someone else to start like a D. Howard, McGee, Biyombo-type.

Old 06-20-2022, 02:53 PM   #55
germanmav

germanmav will become famous soon enoughgermanmav will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Luka - $36.6m
Brunson - $22m???
DFS - $12.5m
Bull - $10m
Wood - $14.3m

-----------

THJ - $19.6m
Maxi - $9m
Bertans - $16m
Green - $3.1m
Ntlikina - $2m

Powell - $11m
???
???
???
Pinson - $vetmin

To expand on what I was saying above, we have three roster spots, I think we will end up using two.
You are missing Spence.
germanmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 05:41 PM   #56
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Does anyone post-iso?

Giannis, KAT, and Embiid? Anyone else that is both a threat and actually isos in the post?
Old 06-20-2022, 05:54 PM   #57
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Does anyone post-iso?

Giannis, KAT, and Embiid? Anyone else that is both a threat and actually isos in the post?
That's a good question, but the stats do back up that centers score against him in at will in those situations. And generally, it doesn't seem like he is a good man defender against centers.

But that really wouldn't have mattered in this year's playoffs as the centers he would be against are offensively bad Gobert, inconsistent Ayton, and Looney. Which I'm sure was part of the reason the Mavs pulled the trigger. His offense and rebounding make up for the lack of man D.

Old 06-20-2022, 06:01 PM   #58
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:

Good article and great data. However, I'm not sure I agree with the writer's assumption- which in fairness seems to be everyone's assumption- that the Mavs' biggest weakness coming into this offseason was rim protection. Given that the Mavs were one of the best defensive teams in the league this year, it seems odd to me that the consensus is that their fatal weakness is a lack of defense. Yes, the defense got exposed against the Warriors. But I think what got exposed worse was the fact that the Mavs had virtually no frontcourt production in general. No defense. But no offense either. And worse of all, no rebounding. Rebounding was by far and away the teams biggest weakness- we got outrebounded by over 11 per game against the Warriors. It's really no wonder they destroyed us when you think about that number alone.

Powell is absolutely useless except for like his two lob catches per game. And Kleber is a good 3 and D big, but he's not a great rebounder and if the 3 isn't falling, then he's useless on offense too. Now rim protection will still be an issue, sure, but simply swapping out Powell, who I honestly think was probably the worst starting center in the league this year, for Wood who is one of the best offensive bigs in the league will make the team a lot better. Even more so when you add in that he's an elite defensive rebounder.

Add another 3 and D wing and a shot blocking big off the bench, and this team could be absolutely legit. I'm talking 60 wins legit.

The writer here alluded to Wood being effective defensively when paired with another big. Even though I expect DFS/Wood to be our starting 4/5, I really look forward to seeing the minutes where's playing with Kleber and/or a another big we add this offseason. With those combinations, the Mavs could go from being one of the worst rebounding teams to one of the best.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 06-20-2022 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-20-2022, 06:07 PM   #59
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

^^ I also am not sure I agree with Franko's assertion that Wood with be the third or fourth option on offense. Honestly I think there's a good chance Wood ends up being the second option. He's that good.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:07 AM   #60
tap2390
Diamond Member

If the plan is to start Wood at the 4 and play a little bigger this season I think the most likely candidates to start at the 5 are someone like Biyombo or Drummond. I personally would still like to see us bring in someone like Hartenstein. There?s no reason our 5 has to be a bruiser who?s limited on offense. We might be priced out of Hartenstein however.

Given our dire cap situation don?t be surprised if we waive Ntlikina to save $2m + luxury tax. I?m still hopeful we can trade Powell into someone?s TE.

Last edited by tap2390; 06-21-2022 at 07:07 AM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:05 AM   #61
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
If the plan is to start Wood at the 4 and play a little bigger this season I think the most likely candidates to start at the 5 are someone like Biyombo or Drummond. I personally would still like to see us bring in someone like Hartenstein. There?s no reason our 5 has to be a bruiser who?s limited on offense. We might be priced out of Hartenstein however.

Given our dire cap situation don?t be surprised if we waive Ntlikina to save $2m + luxury tax. I?m still hopeful we can trade Powell into someone?s TE.
Frank?s 2 million is the veteran minimum for a guy with five years experience

If we were to cut him, we?d have the same 2mill hold on our roster for the empty roster spot. It makes zero sense to cut him.

We?re also somewhere between over the cap (without Brunson) and deep in the tax (with Brunson) so about the only thing we have is 6.4mill a year and I?m fairly certain Hartenstein will get the full MLE of 10.1
Old 06-21-2022, 11:12 AM   #62
tap2390
Diamond Member

Empty roster cap holes are only applicable if a team has less than 12 players. Regardless, we are not saving $2 million by waiving Frankie, we are saving $2m + luxury tax.
Old 06-21-2022, 11:29 AM   #63
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

All this talk of the luxury tax frankly makes me despise the concept of the tax itself and makes me really wish the league would get rid of it. Ostensibly, the purpose of the luxury tax is to discourage wealthier teams from just spending more money than poorer teams can afford to. When you think about it though, it seems to have the exact opposite effect. Who are the few teams that are going to be undeterred by the luxury tax? The ones with the most money, of course. Which teams are going to be scared off by the tax? The ones that can't afford to pay it, obviously.

Owners should be encouraged to spend lavishly on their teams, not discouraged. The league should not be punishing owners for putting winning above their other business priorities. The absolute worst thing an owner can be is a cheapskate.
Old 06-21-2022, 04:18 PM   #64
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Does anyone post-iso?

Jokic sometimes. But Embiid is pretty much the only back down threat left. I'm unconcerned with post iso defense. Just get fvcking rebounds team.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 04:19 PM   #65
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone seen anything about what Wood thinks of the trade? I'm sure he's happy about it but has he given any quotes or anythingfloating around on Twitter?

Last edited by SMC0007; 06-21-2022 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-22-2022, 03:58 PM   #66
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Has anyone seen anything about what Wood thinks of the trade? I'm sure he's happy about it but has he given any quotes or anythingfloating around on Twitter?
Can't be official until tomorrow night when the pick can be traded.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:05 AM   #67
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Tim MacMahon: Christian Wood is entering a contract year. Asked if he?s a long-term fit with Mavs, GM Nico Harrison said, ?I think we both offer each other a lot. We?ll have to do a little bit of showing him, and he?ll have to do a little bit of showing us.? ? via Twitter espn_macmahon
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:28 AM   #68
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Tim MacMahon: Christian Wood is entering a contract year. Asked if he?s a long-term fit with Mavs, GM Nico Harrison said, ?I think we both offer each other a lot. We?ll have to do a little bit of showing him, and he?ll have to do a little bit of showing us.? ? via Twitter espn_macmahon
Goddamn I love Nico Harrison. Such a breathe of fresh air after Howdy Doody Donnie talk. It's rare to see a GM so candid about the current situation.

Old 06-24-2022, 05:27 PM   #69
SMC0007
Guru

Can someone call and get a fvcking quote from C Wood already?!

Old 06-24-2022, 05:58 PM   #70
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
All this talk of the luxury tax frankly makes me despise the concept of the tax itself and makes me really wish the league would get rid of it. Ostensibly, the purpose of the luxury tax is to discourage wealthier teams from just spending more money than poorer teams can afford to. When you think about it though, it seems to have the exact opposite effect. Who are the few teams that are going to be undeterred by the luxury tax? The ones with the most money, of course. Which teams are going to be scared off by the tax? The ones that can't afford to pay it, obviously.

Owners should be encouraged to spend lavishly on their teams, not discouraged. The league should not be punishing owners for putting winning above their other business priorities. The absolute worst thing an owner can be is a cheapskate.
Exactly, winning should be awarded, you get to the conference finals, you should have all taxes rescinded. You get to the playoffs, taxes go down 50%.
Kidd Karma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:35 PM   #71
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Exactly, winning should be awarded, you get to the conference finals, you should have all taxes rescinded. You get to the playoffs, taxes go down 50%.
I for one dont care how much tax an owner worth 5 billion pays vs. an owner or ownership group worth 20 billion. These are all non issues in my mind.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 02:27 PM   #72
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Can someone call and get a fvcking quote from C Wood already?!
Last night on his twitter-

"Huge opportunity in Dallas I?m excited .."
Old 06-25-2022, 02:35 PM   #73
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
I for one dont care how much tax an owner worth 5 billion pays vs. an owner or ownership group worth 20 billion. These are all non issues in my mind.
I don't care either how much tax they pay on a personal level, but I DO care about how it affects the NBA product. Owners are being deterred from spending money to improve their rosters. The luxury tax encourages owners to be cheapskates and punishes them for caring more about winning than their other business obligations. It makes for a lousier product.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 06-25-2022 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-25-2022, 04:04 PM   #74
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Last night on his twitter-

"Huge opportunity in Dallas I?m excited .."
Yes. I saw he had a cpl posts. Thanks mate

Old 06-25-2022, 04:15 PM   #75
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
I don't care either how much tax they pay on a personal level, but I DO care about how it affects the NBA product. Owners are being deterred from spending money to improve their rosters. The luxury tax encourages owners to be cheapskates and punishes them for caring more about winning than their other business obligations. It makes for a lousier product.
I just don't know how you can be serious bout contending but don't want to pay luxury tax. Warriors and Clippers pay the most. Its a advantage they have.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:47 PM   #76
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
I just don't know how you can be serious bout contending but don't want to pay luxury tax. Warriors and Clippers pay the most. Its a advantage they have.
I mean, I agree in theory, but it's not just about "want." A lot of teams literally can't afford to. So again, it has the exact opposite of its intended effect. It was supposed to prevent EXACTLY this problem- big market teams just being able to outspend small market teams. The intent was to mitigate the advantage that teams like the Warriors and Clippers have. Instead, it increased their advantages.

And again, just on basic principle, I think owners should be encouraged to spend, not discouraged.
Old 06-25-2022, 05:58 PM   #77
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Wood and Harden only played like 8 games together, but looking at Wood's Rockets debut, the two-man game between them was fantastic. I absolutely cannot wait to see what Luka can do with this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc-62nJ6Mkk

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 06-25-2022 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:22 PM   #78
tap2390
Diamond Member

I've been harping for a while to get Luka a pick and roll partner. As good as our offense has been, it hasn't even come close to Luka's second year before Dwight's achilles injury. I expect that we will have the best offense in the league by a wide margin this upcoming season.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:30 PM   #79
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
I've been harping for a while to get Luka a pick and roll partner. As good as our offense has been, it hasn't even come close to Luka's second year before Dwight's achilles injury. I expect that we will have the best offense in the league by a wide margin this upcoming season.
Exactly. Frankly I think Wood is what we were all hoping Porzingis would be- a devastating pick and roll big man, who can do pretty much everything on offense. He's not just a "roll" man, he can handle the ball and isolate pretty well too. Not to mention .39 3pt% and he's an elite defensive rebounder too. I'm absolutely salivating.

While the starting lineup I'm sure will be DFS and Wood, what I'm really looking forward to seeing is the minutes were Wood is out there with Maxi. The defense and the rebounding with those lineups should be stout. For all the (justified) complaints about Wood's defense, apparently he was much better defensively when paired with another big.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:05 PM   #80
tap2390
Diamond Member

Completely agree the Maxi-Wood pairing should be excellent. I do wish we had an enforcer to bang inside. I hope that's the second thing we address in free agency (the first being JB).