Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-28-2008, 01:45 PM   #81
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

JHo will be traded. It's in the cards because JKidd wants that #5 on his back!
Old 07-28-2008, 02:19 PM   #82
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Hoopsworld thinks Detroit is out of the picture...

Quote:
Moving Josh Smith?: Don't count on Detroit landing Josh Smith. Reports circulating this weekend had Josh on his way to Detroit in exchange for Tayshaun Prince and a future first round draft pick. Sources near both the Hawks and Pistons say this news is old news, that talks took place more than two weeks ago, and Detroit did not revisit the talks, telling people the price tag was too high. Josh's camp is holding out hope that a sign-and-trade can be worked out as the Hawks seem pretty locked in on a six-year, $60 million package for Josh and seem unwilling to move off that number. The belief is the Hawks need to be cautious about how much they give Josh Smith as Mike Bibby and Joe Johnson could be the next players the Hawks have to negotiate with and they do not want to set a value so high that they keep Josh, but lose Bibby or Johnson next summer. The Hawks' stance is Josh Smith is valuable and important to their future, but only at a certain price, Smith's camp feels there is more money out there in sign and trade, especially after doing the dance with Philadelphia and the Clippers. If a sign and trade is coming for Josh Smith, its not likely going to be with the Pistons.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:54 PM   #83
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Howard and Smith will make approximately the same amount (8.5-9mill) and Atlanta not being over the cap, salaries dont even have to match. Add to the mix that Howard has 2 years left and Smith wants 6 years and that would give Atlanta some talent while saving them money and giving them more flexibility.

Howard for Smith works
Howard and Stack for Smith and Claxton works
Howard and Bass for Smith works

our draft picks arent all that plentiful or valuable but there are a lot of things that may work for Atlanta. If Cuban is willing to take the monetary and flexibility hit, we can offer a pretty good bundle.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-28-2008 at 03:04 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:17 PM   #84
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
Howard and Smith will make approximately the same amount (8.5-9mill) and Atlanta not being over the cap, salaries dont even have to match. Add to the mix that Howard has 2 years left and Smith wants 6 years and that would give Atlanta some talent while saving them money and giving them more flexibility.

Howard for Smith works

our draft picks arent all that plentiful or valuable but there are a lot of things that may work for Atlanta. If Cuban is willing to take the monetary and flexibility hit, we can offer a pretty good bundle.
Are you basing this on Smith getting 14 million a year because remember Smith's contract will be BYC.

Edit: Anyone out there? Feels lonely on these boards today, especially with this rumor.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 07-28-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:51 PM   #85
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned about Odom and the Lakers, why would they risk someone like Odom who can easily walk after next year and really get nothing at all for Smith. Odom is the key piece so he needs to be there.

Detroit I figured would be the East team, the Atlanta management team would be DOA if they traded to Detroit. I still Dallas is the top team in the West b/c of our interest from the start of FA and everything. If we aren't number, definitely top 2-3.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:01 PM   #86
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

A 14 million dollar expiring contract isn't horrible if the Hawks plan to go into rebuilding mode (i'm actually not sure what mode they are in right now). Personally, I think it would be foolish to do so because they have finally been able to reach the playoffs... and even took the champion Celtics to seven games. There would be a lot of pissed off fans.

Would Howard be more preferable? Absolutely. Especially with their now glaring need at the 3. With a Bibby, Johnson, Howard, Williams, and Horford lineup they would be in pretty good shape... in the east.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:04 PM   #87
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

It's bad, 14 million expiring, if you don't do anything with it. They might be content/cheap and let it go, so Smith would leave and they only get cap space in return...no talent. That would be pretty terrible, if you ask me.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:31 PM   #88
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Howard for Smith works

You're not taking into account the fact that Smith will become a Base Year Compensation guy when he signs a contract anywhere close to what he's expecting.

That really complicates things, even with Atlanta being under the cap.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 07-28-2008 at 07:31 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:01 PM   #89
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
You're not taking into account the fact that Smith will become a Base Year Compensation guy when he signs a contract anywhere close to what he's expecting.

That really complicates things, even with Atlanta being under the cap.
I mispoke

If Smith gets a 6-year, 60-million dollar deal he would presumably start at about 8.6million, but BYE value would be about 4.3million (50% of first year). Thats not horrible to get around.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:56 PM   #90
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

MaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud of

Ok everyone is thinking about now. Of course we got to win the title, but think about the future.

Smith could be more of our future Franchise player in 6-8 years.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:50 PM   #91
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Its scary to think Josh Smith is only 22. Damn. I see so much Shawn Kemp in him its ridiculous. Who wouldn't take Shawn Kemp at 22?
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:33 PM   #92
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I see a lot more then just Shawn Kemp....Smith looks like a mix of Lebron, KG, and Wilkins.

Fans, from what I've read around forums and stuff, seem to be undervaluing him. He is a 22 yr old, 17 point 8 rebound 3 block per game PF already. I think 6 yr 60 mil is still a little on the low side based on Smith's potential, youth, and long-term investment. I'm serious when I wouldn't be shocked to see him get 80. I think it will take a S&T offer like that to get him.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 07-28-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:14 AM   #93
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I think what fans think in regarding Josh Smith is they think he's hit his wall. Some don't know that he's only 22 or that he came into the league straight out of high school. I think potentially he has the talent to have a team built around him. I could be wrong but I feel better knowing I have a guy like Josh Smith at 22 than have what the Mavs have now which is no future. And how can guys forget the game where Josh Smith blocked Dirk numerous times. What was it? 6 or 7 times? That just shows how versatile he is. He can guard 3s or 4s. Maybe even 2's.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:18 AM   #94
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

He's only Shawn Kemp when he dunks IMO.

One had a back to the basket game.
One has a face up game.

One wasn't known for his defense.
One is arguably the most feared weakside defender in the game.

One had an all-decade point guard.
One (hopefully) will have an all-generation point guard.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:06 AM   #95
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I mispoke

If Smith gets a 6-year, 60-million dollar deal he would presumably start at about 8.6million, but BYE value would be about 4.3million (50% of first year). Thats not horrible to get around.
I believe Atlanta's offer is 6 years $60MM. Smith wants a deal starting at around $13MM.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:24 AM   #96
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Show him the money, Cuban.

Considering Okafor just got 12 mil/season over 6 years I think Josh Smith is worth 13 mil/six years which would make it approximately a $78 million dollar deal.

The kid has nothing but upside and is already the youngest guy ever to reach 4,000 blocks. Show him the money.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:27 AM   #97
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

You can do it Cuban!

The question is will Atlanta?

Old 07-29-2008, 11:50 AM   #98
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

My only conern now, though, is that Atlanta may see what Okafor got and realize that Smith is worth what he is asking, according to the market.

Initially I thought Okafor's deal may work in our favor but the more I think about it the more I think it will make Atlanta realize that Smith is worth that kind of money. I guess our only hope is that their management is cheap.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:16 PM   #99
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Lakers Interested in S&T for Josh Smith?

Posted: 7/29/2008 5:48:00 AM
Source: SportingNews.com

Pulling off a sign-and-trade, of course, means taking back salary roughly the equivalent of the first year of the signee's new contract. The Hawks could make a deal that would send Smith away - perhaps to the Los Angeles Lakers for Lamar Odom, one of the rumored deals out there -- here's what Atlanta would really be getting in that case: one year of Odom, at $14.5 million. His contract is up after this year, and the Hawks would probably lose Odom next summer.

If they keep Smith, they will either force him to reduce his salary demands or force him to accept a one-year tender offer. Because Smith was a fairly low draft pick (No. 17), his one-year deal would be just $3.1 million. Why trade Smith away for one year of Odom at $14.5 million when you could keep Smith for one year at $3.1 million?

Sure, a ticked-off Smith might not be good for team chemistry. But Odom would be ticked off about such a trade, too. He'd be much more expensive, and it does not seem that the Hawks are keen on throwing money around at this point. It's hard to see how a sign-and-trade would work here

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:55 PM   #100
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Ill shoot myself if he goes to the lakers....
Old 07-29-2008, 01:39 PM   #101
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

I may just stop watching basketball if the Lakers pick up either smith or artest at this point
BPo001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #102
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Well.... from the looks of things in that little tidbit it sounds like it would be a hard to pull off trade. I know Laker fans expect the world handed to them on a silver platter, but lets keep that business to once a decade. You got Gasol free, now go away.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 07-29-2008 at 01:49 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #103
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Well.... from the looks of things in that little tidbit it sounds like it would be a hard to pull off trade. I know Laker fans expect the world handed to them on a silver platter, but lets keep that business to once a decade. You got Gasol free, now go away.
No kidding.

I'm still hangin on hope to that hint from Marc Stein a few weeks ago that the Mavs wouldn't delve into the Artest thing because they were waiting on Smith.

To me Smith would satisfy everyone....perfect compliment to Kidd, a trade for the sake of trades sake, team refresh, youth refresh, defense and superman-like defensive plays, dunks that will bring some sorely needed energy to the getting less loud AAC, a future for the team, fun.

If Rashard Lewis can get what 110 mil then Smith is very worthy of 80.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:17 PM   #104
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart
To me Smith would satisfy everyone....perfect compliment to Kidd, a trade for the sake of trades sake, team refresh, youth refresh, defense and superman-like defensive plays, dunks that will bring some sorely needed energy to the getting less loud AAC, a future for the team, fun.
I whole-heartedly agree with that entire statement. AAC is getting lame.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #105
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

The ONLY thing i dislike about Smith is his shooting disability.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #106
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkgreatness
The ONLY thing i dislike about Smith is his shooting disability.
Same and it's improving. He made three 3s in a playoff game against the Celtics. Seeing as he improves in basically all areas every season, I don't see why that is something to be excessively worried about.

Plus, I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm sick of the weakside jump shots. This team needs more players to go to the basket again. I have no problem relying on the jump shooting of Dirk and Terry.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:44 PM   #107
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Who knows what Smith will do with a real point guard? I keep reminding myself about Kmart's glory days under Kidd (and that was my hope for what Howard could become), maybe Smith will fill that hope.

The single greatest thing about this trade if it happens imo is the youth transfusion. We aren't good enough to win a title right now and we're a dying team... we need to take this chance if it comes our way.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:36 PM   #108
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

I think this trade would benefit both teams but I just cant see it getting done.