Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 05-11-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough
Default 2nd Round and buying a pick in the 1st

I would like to see us try to get up into the late 30s to try and get one of these 3 guys to take a flyer on. Richard Roby, Bill Walker Sonny Weems

I think from what I've seen Weems has the most athleticism. All of these guys have to be better than Ager.

As for buying a pick I think we should do that given that it won't really hurt our 2 or 3 year outlook. The only guy that I've seen and would want in the last 6 or so picks would be Brandon Rush, though at this point I'd take the best that Donnie thought was available. Guys with energy and tenacity is what we need right now.
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2008, 10:57 PM   #2
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

How does buying a pick work?
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Usually a team that has a pick in the mid to late 20s and wants to avoid a salary cap hit--or that already has to many players will sell its pcik for $3 million. The maximum price allowed, I believe.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:11 PM   #4
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, 3 million is the amount. For exactly the reasons you mentioned are why teams would openly trade the pick away. Phoenix is a really good example of who has consistently done this the past few drafts.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

is all about $$$$...~~~
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #6
vashjan

vashjan will become famous soon enoughvashjan will become famous soon enough

I like to get Mario Chalmers in the late first round..We need players with Kahuna's ...you know what i mean??
Old 05-12-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

I like Chalmers but I'm not sure he is the best late round PG you could get. Never really been that impressed with how he ran the team I guess.
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:18 PM   #8
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

buy it and use it as sweetener in huge trade!!!111 omggg
Old 05-12-2008, 02:35 PM   #9
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by horse900703
is all about $$$$...~~~
dammit horse
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:02 PM   #10
DIRKNOWITZKI

DIRKNOWITZKI is on a distinguished road

I don't think we need to buy a first rounder, the sleeper in this draft will be a late second round pick and he will make the all-star team eight or nine years guaranteed. JaJuan Smith of Tennessee
DIRKNOWITZKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:07 PM   #11
ghazi
Platinum Member

Well if DIRKNOWITZKI says so it MUST be true!
Old 05-12-2008, 09:18 PM   #12
Burn this City

Burn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRKNOWITZKI
I don't think we need to buy a first rounder, the sleeper in this draft will be a late second round pick and he will make the all-star team eight or nine years guaranteed. JaJuan Smith of Tennessee
JaJuan Smith will be happy if he gets a spot in the D-League next season...

Don't the Mavs generally just draft Euros none of us have ever heard of anyways?

Last edited by Burn this City; 05-12-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Burn this City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:29 AM   #13
antisticky

antisticky will become famous soon enough

NBADraft.net has Dallas taking Henk Norel from the Netherlands in the 2nd.

Link

He's not even the normal "anonymous Eastern European guy" we take a flier on in the second round. The general public has never heard of this guy AND he's from a country with little to no tradition of basketball excellence. What?

Sounds like Chris Anstey part II.
antisticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:51 AM   #14
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Some pretty interesting highlights from JaJuan Smith...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AdFA6WWJ7E

this kid may have something
Old 05-14-2008, 06:33 PM   #15
ghazi
Platinum Member

I fell for that ugh!

hate to sound like DA, but we could buy the draft pick than use it in a trade, right?

I would rather see that than drafting someone... we're still in "win now" mode, IMO.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:45 AM   #16
seagullstalker35

seagullstalker35 has a spectacular aura aboutseagullstalker35 has a spectacular aura aboutseagullstalker35 has a spectacular aura about

Brandon Rush
Position: SG
Height: 6-7
Weight: 205
School: Kansas

The skinny: There's quite a bit of buzz over Rush at the moment. He's got the size, athleticism and shooting ability needed to excel as an NBA 2-guard. He is also an excellent defender and should be ready to step in and contribute right away.

i would love to find a way to get brandon rush. from this scouting report he seems like the perfect guy for this team. chad ford's mock draft says he could go at #22 to orlando. any way we can swing a trade for a pick in the 20s? maybe cuban can buy one. ive heard rumors that denver's pick at #20 could be had. think we could get it somehow and draft this guy??

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ckDraft-080520
seagullstalker35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:13 AM   #17
BaylorTMW

BaylorTMW is on a distinguished road

I think if either Sonny Weems or Richard Roby are there, we should take them.

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/prof...chardroby.html
http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/sonnyweems.html
Old 05-23-2008, 01:29 PM   #18
ghazi
Platinum Member

I wanna buy a draft pick to trade it.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:48 PM   #19
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

I think we should trade next year's 1st round pick for a late 1st round pick this year which we use to select a 7'3" Russian with zero basketball ability...oh wait, we've been down that road before.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:47 AM   #20
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by horse900703
is all about $$$$...~~~
damn right
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #21
bgarrett
Banned

bgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by antisticky
NBADraft.net has Dallas taking Henk Norel from the Netherlands in the 2nd.

Link

He's not even the normal "anonymous Eastern European guy" we take a flier on in the second round. The general public has never heard of this guy AND he's from a country with little to no tradition of basketball excellence. What?

Sounds like Chris Anstey part II.

Sweet and he's 6'11" - 212 lbs...
bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:50 AM   #22
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like you can start looking at the tail end of the first round. Carlisle said it looks like they want to try to get into the first round.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:12 PM   #23
chosen_one8976

chosen_one8976 will become famous soon enoughchosen_one8976 will become famous soon enough

from what it sounds like, the mavs are somehow goin to be in the late first round of the draft...who do yall think we should take?

i know alot of you think we should draft a point guard, but if the mavs dont win a ring next season, the team we are goin to have is gone, Dirk would probably be the only one standing afterwords.

I personally think that we should go after someone like brandon rush, another guy i really like that will probably be there in the mid 20's is chris douglas roberts. he is a slasher, defender and can finally fill the whole at shooting guard. jet and stack are good bench players, but they just cant get it done...either him or take a pure shooter in the second or trade it for somebody
chosen_one8976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:38 PM   #24
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Meh. Late first round = NBDL...usually.

Also, I find it quite amusing that you are the 8,976th Chosen_One. ;]

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."

Last edited by ty; 06-05-2008 at 04:39 PM.
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:37 PM   #25
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I expect we'll pick another dude and stash him away. Late round picks and rookies in general are a waste of valuable playing time.

They just stink the first year or so.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote