Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #4001
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

No doubt Deron is holding things up, both indirectly and directly, but this happens every year.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #4002
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
No doubt Deron is holding things up, both indirectly and directly, but this happens every year.
Yeah, I don't think Mavs fans quite know how to react to this whole "free agency with cap space" thing - we're pretty much entering virgin territory in the Mark Cuban era...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-03-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:21 AM   #4003
pepe

pepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Hibbert's the opposite of athletic.
Hibbert is 7'3 so you pay a premium.

Last edited by pepe; 07-03-2012 at 12:32 AM.
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #4004
roadrunner
Golden Member

roadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to behold

Mike Fisher on a roll on twitter...

Mike Fisher:amid all the sexy 'it's done' reports, I think it worth reporting that a Deron source tells me firmly that it aint. #mavs #netsnow
Mike Fisher:The Dwight-#Mavs ties? They exist because Dwight says they exist.3 minutes ago
Mike Fisher:musta been awkward for Deron when, as the JoeJ deal went down, #Nets execs in 1 room and #Mavs execs in another room started hi-fiving.about 5 minutes ago
Mike Fisher:No, no. Deron AND Dwight to #nets aint likely. (Orlando wants GWallace at $10M yr??) No more likely than 3D in Dallasabout 23 minutes ago
Mike Fisher:when #Nets tell agent Schwartz, 'Weve got unlimited $,' and #Mavs counter w CBA-related presentation, who does Team Deron believe?about 33 minutes ago
Mike Fisher:#Nets w inside track on Deron? Thats never changed. Joe/Wallace as +'s? Thats where #Mavs might have their disagreementabout 34 minutes ago
Mike Fisher:Deron source tells me he did endorse JoeJ as a player. But that diff. than endorsing cap impact of NBA's worst contract #mavs #netsabout 37 minutes ago
Mike Fisher:#Mavs DID make a change in #DeronQuest presentation today. Something about 'Ordinary Joe' http://bit.ly/M2amWTabout 39 minutes ago
Mike Fisher:Exclusive: Subtle Shift In #Mavs Deron Meeting, Seismic Shift w Dwight http://bit.ly/M29WQjabout 44 minutes ago
We ran like a simple play, and usually the ball doesn’t come get me until later. So I just trotted through the play and I looked to the ball, and it was already right there in my face. … He sees the floor so well and sometimes he throws the ball and we don’t see it. He’s liable to really throw anything.” Dirk

Kidd to Dirk is the present day Stockton to Malone.

roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #4005
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
musta been awkward for Deron when, as the JoeJ deal went down, #Nets execs in 1 room and #Mavs execs in another room started hi-fiving
Okay, that's kinda funny.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #4006
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe View Post
Hibbert is 7'3 so you pay a premium.
You said we want young athletic players, Hibbert isn't athletic.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:59 AM   #4007
blessednegr0

blessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of light

Call me crazy guys... But I really think good things are lined up in the future. Regardless of if its Dwight/Deron. I dont even know if I want Dwight anymore after he has acted like a complete child. He is right up there with Lebron on my hated list. Lets say we split that cap that we could spend on Deron for 2 quality players and use the TPE to net another decent player. We could be in decent shape. Dragic/Mayo/Marion/Dirk/Camby? With Roddy, Delonte, CJ Miles, Carter, Wright off the bench? Still better then what we put out there last year.
blessednegr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:06 AM   #4008
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessednegr0 View Post
Call me crazy guys... But I really think good things are lined up in the future. Regardless of if its Dwight/Deron. I dont even know if I want Dwight anymore after he has acted like a complete child. He is right up there with Lebron on my hated list. Lets say we split that cap that we could spend on Deron for 2 quality players and use the TPE to net another decent player. We could be in decent shape. Dragic/Mayo/Marion/Dirk/Camby? With Roddy, Delonte, CJ Miles, Carter, Wright off the bench? Still better then what we put out there last year.
I hate Dwight for his pathetic attitude but at the end of day he is a top 5 player that helps every team win. And I have yet to see Dragic linked to the mavs, bryan do you know if we have interest?
Old 07-03-2012, 01:11 AM   #4009
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I hate Dwight for his pathetic attitude but at the end of day he is a top 5 player that helps every team win. And I have yet to see Dragic linked to the mavs, bryan do you know if we have interest?
If he "helps every team win," how's come he has never won a damn thing in his life? LOSER.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:14 AM   #4010
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Chum getting into it with Mike Fisher... just a day removed from getting into it with Larry Coon. Classic
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:19 AM   #4011
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
Chum getting into it with Mike Fisher... just a day removed from getting into it with Larry Coon. Classic
Hey...Coon attacked ME!
Old 07-03-2012, 01:20 AM   #4012
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
If he "helps every team win," how's come he has never won a damn thing in his life? LOSER.
huh? His teams go to the playoffs every year with him having almost no help. Are you really this clueless? It would be like saying Dirk at 28 wouldn't help every team win just because they don't have a ring. Such idiocy.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:22 AM   #4013
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
huh? His teams go to the playoffs every year with him having almost no help. Are you really this clueless? It would be like saying Dirk at 28 wouldn't help every team win just because they don't have a ring. Such idiocy.
Yes, I am really this clueless.

Dude is not a player. Plain and simple.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:25 AM   #4014
blessednegr0

blessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of light

I never said Dwight wasn't a top 5 player in the NBA. He most certainly is. However... He is acting like a girl. Imagine if he was in Dallas pulling the crap he was pulling now. He would be ran out of here faster then Lamar Odom. We only have a few more years of PRIME Dirk. I would take D-Willy before I took Dwight Howard. Dwight has been in the league for years now... And continues to act like a child. If we strike out on D-Will and Dwight... Then the world isn't over. The Hawks just unloaded freaking JOE JOHNSONS ridiculous contract. We should have no problem getting rid of Haywood and/or Marion to get better pieces around Dirk.
blessednegr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:53 AM   #4015
OneLove22

OneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to all

For what it's worth... Net's fans reaction to the trade.

Quote:
Are we seriously prioritising JJ over Dwight? BK needs to go right now, he needs to go

If we got Dwight first then maybe (if possible) went for JJ I would be happy, but this is just to please the casual fan. Yes we would be a playoff team with Deron/JJ/Wallace/Brook but there's no way in hell are we contenders, we're just going to be stuck in the same place as Indiana.

Can't believe some are actually happy about this
Quote:
For what it's worth I don't think that you guys should use your full MLE or your BAE this year.

Say Dwight doesn't get traded (yet) but you get to keep Deron and Humphries (because you want to trade him?)

Deron 15M
Wallace 9M
Johnson 19M
Humphries 9M
Lopez 9M
7 capholds 3M

is a generously rounded down 64M meaning that after the full MLE and the BAET you'd be at 71M and could only add 3M more in salary (provided cap numbers stay the same, even if they rise, the raise won't be that high probably) after having 7 players.

And not only would that mean adding 5 - 8 players with absolute min contracts (even the min for vets with more than 3 years experience would be too expensive at that point) but you couldn't do any trade that adds salary going forward meaning if you want to trade for Howard Orlando would actually have to take on Money...
Quote:
The Nets obviously are making a push to get DWill signed, by adding proven All-Stars in Joe Johnson and Gerald Wallace. I think this trade and signing makes Brooklyn automatically better this coming season.
Quote:
even then, wallace johnson and deron would be the core, alogn side lopez.

is that enough?

I'd like to think that's a top 4 team in the east but still, i don't think that's close to competing for a title.
Quote:
Billy King needs feelers, guys who go around the internet who look up on Nets fans' reactions when a rumor is started. I mean, I could guarantee there was no majority of a message board of Nets fans that liked trading for Joe Johnson when the rumor started.
I'd like to think Deron has a brain to. If he wants to win, he will come to Dallas. If he wants another year on the contract, he goes to Brooklyn.

Last edited by OneLove22; 07-03-2012 at 04:54 AM.
OneLove22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:58 AM   #4016
OneLove22

OneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to all

This is how one believes they can still get Dwight in Brooklyn...

Quote:
IMO Dwight situation not yet over.
by nykballa2k4 on Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:25 am

The Dwight/Gerald Wallce stuff does not make sense to me.

Dwight agreed to stay on for ONE more season.
I see it all as part of a deal.
Dwight tells the Magic "all right, I want to win it all this year in orlando"
Magic say "Well, we are going to trade you to the Rockets for Scola Dalembert and Martin if you don't commit to us"
Dwight gets scared and commits.

HOWEVER he can still demand a trade this off-season. Nets gave away an amazing pick to the Blazers. Still unsure as to why. There is one possible explanation... If Wallace opts in, and becomes an expiring contract it means the nets have from 19-23 million dollars in expiring contracts.
Looking at the salaries and what Lopez should be worth in a new contract...
an off-season deal of Brooks, Wallace, Petro(exp), Farmar (exp), Rockets pick could land D12 WITH the inclusion of Turk for 11 million dollar Brook Lopez

Nets will still have the rights on Humphries sooo
Howard
Humphries
Turk
Morrow
Dwill

is still a possibility.
meanwhile...
magic gain
Lopez, Brooks, Wallace, Draft pick and most importantly be down to only 2 "Bad" contracts in Qrich and Duhon (who could easily be included in the initial deal)

So while for the moment, people are making fun of Dwight for doing the right thing and making fun the Nets for wasting time and support for a false profit, the real saga continues. It is also common knowledge that the best way to make big $ is to opt out of the last season. That promises the best pay day.
Sounds like a bit of a stretch lmao. Deron, I hope you have a brain to notice what Brooklyn is doing. It reeks of desperation to satisfy ASAP. Red flags are everywhere.

As a Mavs fan you can look at it this way. If we don't sign Deron at least we can say our organization is still in the position to compete in the future. We could have gone harpooning for anything to please Deron as quick as possible. We are better than that though, because we were champions a year ago. We know championships do not come easy, and take patience. Our organization has championship experience. The Nets are trying too hard to impress the hot girl.

At the end of the day, we still have Dirk. How mad can we really be?

Last edited by OneLove22; 07-03-2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:32 AM   #4017
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard

Sources: The Nets & Magic are discussing a trade that would send Dwight Howard to Brooklyn for Briik Lopez, Kris Humphies, Marshon Brooks...
Quote:
(con't) and the Nets' first-round picks in 2012, 2014, 2016 & 2018....move would give Nets Big 3 of D-Will, Dwight & Joe Johnson
Alright then.....

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:33 AM   #4018
OneLove22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
Alright then.....
They still have to sign Hump though right? We'll see how that holds up...

Would most likely be late first rounders as well.

Last edited by OneLove22; 07-03-2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:44 AM   #4019
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Including Brook Lopez for Dwight Howard is 100% up to Brook Lopez, since he's currently not under contract... Why would he sign off on getting sent to busted-ass Orlando when he's primed to be one of the core players in Brooklyn? Seems like he could do better somewhere else altogether - he shouldn't feel like he owes the Nets any favors that would require him to commit career suicide by playing for a bottom-feeder...

Last edited by Underdog; 07-03-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:45 AM   #4020
OneLove22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Including Brook Lopez for Dwight Howard is 100% up to Brook Lopez, since he's currently not under contract... Why would he sign off on getting sent to busted-ass Orlando when he's primed to be one of the core players in Brooklyn? Seems like he could do better somewhere else altogether - he shouldn't feel like he owes the Nets any favors that would require him to commit career suicide by playing for a bottom-feeder...
Lopez is a FA as well?

Basically from what I read, in a sign and trade it is beneficial to the player being traded because they would get more money. Why would Orlando want to pay them more and dish out Dwight? They could just sign Hump or Lopez for cheaper then tell the Nets to send over even more. Broussard is on Mike and Mike right now and he doesn't sound too confident this will happen.

Last edited by OneLove22; 07-03-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:46 AM   #4021
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLove22 View Post
Lopez is a FA as well?
Restricted, yes - that's the one MAJOR detail that east coast writers tend to leave out when talking about trading for Dwight Howard...

Old 07-03-2012, 05:50 AM   #4022
OneLove22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Restricted, yes - that's the one MAJOR detail that east coast writers tend to leave out when talking about trading for Dwight Howard...
I don't see much need for worry about this.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:02 AM   #4023
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold

I know Lopez and Hump both have to sign off on it, but if this happens then I don't think it's a contest anymore.

Deron/JoeJohn/Wallace/Dwight and scraps would be a really good team.

As Orlando I'd do this deal if it's the best one available right now. I'm not bringing that clown back into my (Orlando) locker room. Publicly I'd be saying the same stuff their GM is saying, but behind closed doors I'd tell my GM team that there is no way Howard can be a Magic when camp opens.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:04 AM   #4024
OneLove22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McGuire View Post
I know Lopez and Hump both have to sign off on it, but if this happens then I don't think it's a contest anymore.

Deron/JoeJohn/Wallace/Dwight and scraps would be a really good team.

As Orlando I'd do this deal if it's the best one available right now. I'm not bringing that clown back into my (Orlando) locker room. Publicly I'd be saying the same stuff their GM is saying, but behind closed doors I'd tell my GM team that there is no way Howard can be a Magic when camp opens.
Scola, Lowry, picks, young people. There are still other teams out there willing to make offers.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:05 AM   #4025
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I don't see much need for worry about this.
They may have to overpay Lopez and Hump, but I really don't see why they'd hold up the deal.

If they say no and Deron doesn't come then they are on a mediocre Brooklyn team.

If they say yes and go to Orlando they are on a mediocre Orlando team.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:06 AM   #4026
OneLove22

Quote:
They may have to overpay Lopez and Hump, but I really don't see why they'd hold up the deal.

If they say no and Deron doesn't come then they are on a mediocre Brooklyn team.

What about guys like Scola, Lowry, Jeremy Lamb, Terrance Jones, Royce White, Dragic, etc...?

I just see a lot of reasons the odds are stacked against Brooklyn on this one.

Last edited by OneLove22; 07-03-2012 at 06:07 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:12 AM   #4027
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't see how you fit DWill, Dwight, JJ, and Wallace into any semblance of what works under the CBA. Those four together would be somewhere around $60-65M. Seems like fantasy land to me.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:17 AM   #4028
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
I just don't see how you fit DWill, Dwight, JJ, and Wallace into any semblance of what works under the CBA. Those four together would be somewhere around $60-65M. Seems like fantasy land to me.
If Prokhorov is content to pay the mother of all luxury tax, it's doable. And as much as it pains me to say, they might pull it off. The Magic is in a tough spot if Howard really told them he'll only sign an extension in Brooklyn.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 07-03-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:17 AM   #4029
Underdog

Quote:

So if all things were equal, Lopez would have to ask himself which city he'd rather live in - Brooklyn or Orlando?

Old 07-03-2012, 06:18 AM   #4030
OneLove22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
If Prokhorov is content to pay the mother of all luxury tax, it's doable. And as much as it pains me to say, they might pull it off. The Magic is in a tough spot if Howard really told them he'll only sign an extension in Brooklyn.
They still have to fit those guys under the cap and find vet minimum players. You can't pay one of your big contracts into the tax unless they have bird rights, which none of them do.

Right now your looking at

Johnson 19,752,645
Wallace 10,000,000
Williams 19,000,000
Howard 19,000,000

Total: 67,752,645

Have to guess on the bottom 3 though.

What is the cap? $58 million?

Now your negotiating pay cuts.

Obviously, you don't have any cap problems if Deron signs with Dallas though

Then this Dwight trade could happen and he'd get his long term deal done. Maybe the reason they are now desperately trading for Dwight is because Deron is bye bye.

Last edited by OneLove22; 07-03-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:45 AM   #4031
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Make a decision already. It's not like he just learned the Mavs and Nets were interested yesterday.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #4032
OneLove22

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash View Post
Make a decision already. It's not like he just learned the Mavs and Nets were interested yesterday.
Free agency just started yesterday. He can't sign until the 11th anyway.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #4033
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:57 AM   #4034
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They still have to fit those guys under the cap and find vet minimum players. You can't pay one of your big contracts into the tax unless they have bird rights, which none of them do.

Right now your looking at

Johnson 19,752,645
Wallace 10,000,000
Williams 19,000,000
Howard 19,000,000

Total: 67,752,645

Have to guess on the bottom 3 though.

What is the cap? $58 million?

Now your negotiating pay cuts.

Obviously, you don't have any cap problems if Deron signs with Dallas though

Then this Dwight trade could happen and he'd get his long term deal done.
No, they don't. Joe Johnson was a sign and trade where they matched salary. They have Bird rights on Wallace and Williams, so they can go over the cap to re-sign them.

They just have to come up with enough salary via SNT to match Howard's salary coming back (and potentially Turkoglu, I guess).

Having said that, this doesn't make any sense. By all accounts from yesterday, the Magic weren't even taking the Nets calls regarding a package centered around Lopez. Now suddenly they're talking? And the Nets are going to work out a SNT with both Lopez AND Humphries, with Base Year Compensation complicating the matters for both?

Is this real life? Surely this isn't legit. So far it's only coming from Broussard, hopefully it stays that way.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 07-03-2012 at 07:02 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:59 AM   #4035
OneLove22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
No, they don't. Joe Johnson was a sign and trade where they matched salary. They have Bird rights on Wallace and Williams, so they can go over the cap to re-sign them.

They just have to come up with enough salary via SNT to match Howard's salary coming back (and potentially Turkoglu, I guess).

Having said that, this doesn't make any sense. By all accounts from yesterday, the Magic weren't even taking the Nets calls regarding a package centered around Lopez. Now suddenly they're talking? And the Mavs are going to work out a SNT with both Lopez AND Humphries, with Base Year Compensation complicating the matters for both?

Is this real life? Surely this isn't legit. So far it's only coming from Broussard, hopefully it stays that way.
I thought you have had to play with your current team for 3 years to get bird rights...
Old 07-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #4036
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I thought you have had to play with your current team for 3 years to get bird rights...
Nope. Bird Rights are transferred via trade.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 07-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #4037
OneLove22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Nope. Bird Rights are transferred via trade.
Ah snap.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #4038
CanadianMavsFan

CanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud of

I think Deron might be done as an option guys. Too many factors working against us. Really annoying how free agency is turning out with the big guys now, the league must do something about this. Becoming a joke with guys constantly teaming up and forcing teams to do what they desire.

Hope the Nets crash and burn every year. And I believe they will.
CanadianMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #4039
OneLove22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMavsFan View Post
I think Deron might be done as an option guys. Too many factors working against us. Really annoying how free agency is turning out with the big guys now, the league must do something about this. Becoming a joke with guys constantly teaming up and forcing teams to do what they desire.

Hope the Nets crash and burn every year. And I believe they will.
Too many factors? As far as I can see this Howard trade is the one thing that would make me think he is going to Brooklyn. I'm not convinced the JJ trade will bring him there.

Last edited by OneLove22; 07-03-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:06 AM   #4040
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I almost wonder if this isn't a leak from the Nets trying to convince Deron that they will have the ability to improve. Is that crazy? It is, isn't it?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Tags
awesome to think of, colonystateofmind, death knells, delusional1234, deroff, git'erdonecubes, i have a dream, markus123no, michael reddish?, my ass bleeds for tyson, never happen dumbazz, oilfieldva-jay-jay, sard's sources outta @ss, shark tank for dwight, tank for dwight