Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-26-2002, 10:41 PM   #1
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

Stole this from the Knicks ESPN Board:

Jun. 26 - Now that the Knicks have completed the deal with Denver and sent Marcus Camby, Mark Jackson and Nene Hilario to the Nuggets for McDyess and Frank Williams, will they still go after Van Exel. The Knicks were talking to the Mavs last night about a deal that would send Kurt Thomas and Charlie Ward to the Mavs for Nick Van Exel. The Knicks would prefer Andre Miller, but this isn't a bad second option.

I think at this point its a matter of when not if. And honestly i'm having second thoughts, i got this been there done that feeling thinking about Kurt and visions of NVE tearing it up in the East while KT sits on the bench because Nellie decides to go small and play Nash and Chucky Ward at the same time.
Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2002, 10:43 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I almost dont want to pull the trigger anymore.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 10:50 PM   #3
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

I'm going to have nightmares tonight. Nash and Ward on the court together....
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 10:50 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

doc...you don't want a defensive inside presence?
if you do, there's a good chance you're going to have to give up something...

and nve is a price i'm more than willing to pay
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 11:01 PM   #5
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I am confused. Kurt Thomas is an inside defensive presence.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 11:02 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

It really depends on who we can get with the exception I guess. You know how I feel about NVE though.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:04 PM   #7
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i dont do this deal. and i dont want charlie ward. give me frank williams and kurt thomas, and i do the deal.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 11:08 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

yes, kurt thomas is a good defensive player..not a great shot blocker but a good defender.

doc, if you wait to see what you can pick up with the exception, there's a good chance you won't get anything mentioning at all
Old 06-26-2002, 11:10 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

aexchange- I agree. I just don't want Ward.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:11 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

I'd like to see a run at Keon Clark.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:12 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

you would still have the exception to make a run at a PG... it'd be easier to find a PG that could play 10 minutes with the exception than it would be to keep NVE and find an impact big man with the exception.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:14 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Can we dump Ward and go with someone else? I really dont like the guy.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:19 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

like it or not..NVE probably isn't that much better of a backup PG than Ward

sure, NVE would be a much better starter but for what we need out of a backup, ward isn't too far behind NVE.

and thomas would be a huge upgrade
Old 06-26-2002, 11:20 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

I'm not opposed to the trade...jsut Ward. But it would make the Mavs better IMO.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:28 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

i wouldn't be thrilled about ward either..but the trade would definitely make the mavs a better team
Old 06-26-2002, 11:35 PM   #16
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

Well DTL, its going to happen, you think along Kurt Thomas comes with a new philosophy? Don't think so. That's why it doesn't matter what big man we have if Nellie doesn't play him, his philosophy is a lot more important then any trade. And if he doesn't change his philosophy we might as well have the best possible team for the situation. If he wants to change and go big then the KT trade is great, but if he is going to stay the same I would much rather see Nash and NVE in at the same time then Nash & Ward. People think by shipping off NVE, Nellie won't have that extra weapon to play around with and will be forced to go big, nice try but it ain't that easy. If that was the case lets trade every person under 6'8, he won't have any choice then. So if Nash & Nick got your head spinning you better sit your ass down because Nash & Ward will make it explode.
Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 11:37 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

from all indications from del harris and don nelson, he does plan on going with a big lineup more often

and kurt thomas is a good enough of a player that even if nellie didn't change his philosophy much, nellie wouldn't be able to keep him out of the lineup
Old 06-26-2002, 11:41 PM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

nellie has mentioned on 2-3 occasions that he'd like to go with a bigger lineup more often next season... sure, you might say he's simply being "misleading" again..but i have no idea why he would be misleading with a topic such as this

if the mavs make the move for thomas, i don't see any reason to question whether or not he's going to get playing time...

trading for thomas would make the answer rather obvious
Old 06-27-2002, 12:28 AM   #19
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

The only thing that would be stopping me from pulling the trigger on this deal would be Ward. I Still prefer Grant over Kurt Thomas being that Kurt is just a cheaper version of Juwan Howard IMO. Someone posted about Frank Williams yea I would do this trade if they gave us Frank Williams and Kurt Thomas for NVE.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 02:36 AM   #20
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i think layden is dumb enough to give us williams and kurt thomas for van exel.

i wouldnt mind packaging mantis and getting weatherspoon in return as well. mantis deserves it for packing it in last year.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 07:16 AM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

kurt thomas is much better defensively than j-ho
Old 06-27-2002, 08:37 AM   #22
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

The thought of Weatherspoon in a Mavs uni makes me want to puke.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 08:43 AM   #23
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love the Mavs to work out a three way deal and get Hubert Davis back. He can play the point a little and he is a VERY smart and reliable player.

Avery can still play the point at a high level as long as he doesn't log heavy minutes. And my honey's favorite player is a free agent - Timmy Hardaway [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 08:57 AM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

IMO, a hubert/avery combo at backup PG would be much more effective than the current situation

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
bring back hubert
Old 06-27-2002, 10:03 AM   #25
Drbio
Banned

Hubert in a heartbeat!
Old 06-27-2002, 11:14 AM   #26
mick

mick is on a distinguished road

<< 'd love the Mavs to work out a three way deal and get Hubert Davis back. He can play the point a little and he is a VERY smart and reliable player. >>

If we trade NVE, we lose both a back up at PG and SG. Davis fills that need. Otherwise, we have a hole at backup SG.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 11:17 AM   #27
Murphy3
Guru

mavs have more than enough guys to pick up some minutes at the backup 2 spot...but adding hubert davis would be nice.

finley isn't exactly a guy that handles the ball alot bringing it up court...which would be the same for any backup SG.

however, nellie did say that their draft pick could be ready to play in the NBA this year..he's also a SG..but he'll probably stay overseas for a year or two
Old 06-27-2002, 12:46 PM   #28
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

So if Nash &amp; Nick got your head spinning you better sit your ass down because Nash &amp; Ward will make it explode.

LOL...

Now that is funny as hell, but very true.