Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-26-2002, 09:58 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Your Dallas Mavericks select Mladen Sekularac....who?

I sure wish Owens would have fallen.....
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2002, 10:00 PM   #2
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Mladen Sekularac is one of the brightest talents of Yugoslavian basketball. A tall Shooting Guard with range and good ballhandling skills. His body is strong enough in order not to face problems in the NBA. Has high shoot percentages, both high post and low post game, good positioning outside the arc and quick shoot release. More of a shooter than a scorer. He takes advantage of his height and strong upper body to overcome his opponent in the low post.

Weaknesses: His defense is loose and his stealing skills are too low for a guard. His passing and decision making needs polish. He is a turnover prone, mainly due to his low passing skills.

-Dimitris Armadoros
----------------------------------------------------
One of the most skilled players in Europe. He has good size and long arms. He is not as fast as most NBA players but he has great ball-handling ability so he can create his shoot. He's very good with the catch & shoot (he has the ability to prepare his feet going out from the pick), he can shoot the pull-up jumper. He is not the classic spot-up player, he needs to have the ball in his hands to be productive in O. He has wonderful insticts to read the play, and find the open man for an assist. He knows how good he is so sometimes he lacks desire forces an assist instead of making the simple pass. He can help the team on the boards and can do a bit of everything. The problem is he knows how good he is and his selection (shoot, pass) can become complacent. At this point playing defense is an afterthought where it's his real weakness, but where he can improve with hard work. He had an up and down season.

aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 10:01 PM   #3
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

He must be Asarbiac's Buddy, most likely will come over with him next year
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 10:01 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

His body is strong enough in order not to face problems in the NBA.

I like this point anyway....
Old 06-26-2002, 10:02 PM   #5
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Well I cannot pronounce either of his names and I am not surprised. I'm sure Nellie knows what he's doing, but a 55th pick must have like a 1% chance of ever playing on a playoff team like the Mavs.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:04 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

agreed.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:07 PM   #7
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

do they play for the same team, fish, and why does every talk about asarbiac being on the team already.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 10:07 PM   #8
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Yea I dont like this guy and I hope we get someone from teh free agent pool worth mentioning.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 10:20 PM   #9
mick

mick is on a distinguished road

<< Your Dallas Mavericks select Mladen Sekularac....who?
>>

Yugoslovia's version of MJ, I presume.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 10:22 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i can't really say i don't like the pick..i've never seen the guy play... it's the 55th pick..who were you expecting to get? another dirk?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 10:35 PM   #11
joe_d2567

joe_d2567 is on a distinguished road

The Mavs chose some weirdo. Maybe they chose him because he's from Yugo and that's the only country that they don't have. I don't know. Maybe that's why??
joe_d2567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 10:38 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

To be honest, I've never heard of this guy.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:38 PM   #13
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not disappointed in the pick. At least they drafted a player that **might** turn into something, unlike last year's selections. The only thing that I didn't like was the fact that we couldn't get Jeffries or Salmons.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 11:59 PM   #14
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

.Link

The Mavericks have had their eye on Sekularac since he played for Yugoslavia in the 2000 Global Games, a Donnie Nelson-inspired event. Sekularac also plays for the same club team as another Mavericks target, Ognjen Askrabic. The Mavericks had hoped to sign Askrabic as a free agent this summer, but the two sides agreed to wait one more year, when Askrabic, too, is released from his club-team obligations

FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 12:32 AM   #15
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<< i can't really say i don't like the pick..i've never seen the guy play... it's the 55th pick..who were you expecting to get? another dirk? >>

Well No I havent seen him play but Im just sick of getting a european on this team. I dont mean to offend anyone but I just think its gettin old and no I didnt a expect a dirk at 55 matter of fact I didnt expect a Dirk in this whole draft. I cant really say I was dissapointed but I saw a whole bunch of 7 foot centers in teh 2nd round and I was just hoping we oculd end up with one.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 07:17 AM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

there's very few players they could have drafted at that spot that would have a remote chance of making the team at any time in their career..so they took a guy that at least has that potential
Old 06-27-2002, 09:08 AM   #17
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Is he coming over for the coming season, or are they waiting on his further development?
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 09:22 AM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

the mavs draft pick?
i believe he'll probably spend another year overseas
Old 06-27-2002, 10:01 AM   #19
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I'm not disappointed in the pick. At least they drafted a player that **might** turn into something, unlike last year's selections. The only thing that I didn't like was the fact that we couldn't get Jeffries or Salmons.

We didn't give our second round draft choices a chance last year. I thought last year and I still think, Satterfield is going to be ok in the long run.

However you can't be disappointed with the pick, I mean it was the 55th pick. Chances of ANYONE sticking with a team after the 40th pick are slim and if they do it's a diamond in the ruff. There was no clear cut choice there. The only thing that still BAFFLES ME is that EVERYONE kept thinking Jeffries would fall to 55th????????
Old 06-27-2002, 10:02 AM   #20
Drbio
Banned

Is he coming over for the coming season, or are they waiting on his further development?

Nellie was on the radio today and he said the kid would not be coming over for 1-2 years.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:10 AM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

i agree thekid..maybe i was a bit harsh with satterfield
Old 06-27-2002, 12:59 PM   #22
mali king

mali king is on a distinguished road

Sekularac as a 55th second round pick? Congrats to Dallas staff on yet another classic move. This luck reminds me of (but it's in no way close to) getting rid of Samaki W. or trading Traylor for Nowitzki... but is it pure luck?
mali king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 01:10 PM   #23
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

from ESPN draft grades

Dallas Mavericks
Round 1: No Pick
Round 2: Mladen Sekularac, 6-8, SG, Yugoslavia (No. 55)
The Mavs go international once again, and once again they get a steal. Sekularac was projected as a late first-rounder. He has fantastic range on his jumper, has an NBA body and has the experience to contribute right away. The Mavs will leave him in Yugoslavia for a year, but you'll hear his name again. You can't do any better than this at No. 55
Grade: A
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 01:14 PM   #24
mick

mick is on a distinguished road

<<

<< Your Dallas Mavericks select Mladen Sekularac....who?
>>

Yugoslovia's version of MJ, I presume.
>>

Another Profile
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 01:54 AM   #25
Dirk77
Banned

Dirk77 is on a distinguished road

No, NO, No, you'll should be quite happy, Mladen, at 55 was an absolute STEAL! Most mock drafts had him going from 20-35! He is a proven scorer, avg. 17.4 last year in a tough league. The only guy's I might have drafted before him was the 7 footer Luis Scola or Perdrag Savovic From Hawaii.
Dirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 08:16 AM   #26
Drbio
Banned

I guess that is why Savovic went undrafted.