Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-23-2003, 10:32 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Iverson to sign extension

Source: Iverson to sign $76.7 million, four-year extension

By ROB MAADDI, AP Sports Writer
September 23, 2003

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Allen Iverson and the Philadelphia 76ers have agreed on a $76.7 million, four-year contract extension, a team source said Tuesday.

The deal will keep the three-time NBA scoring champion in Philadelphia through the 2008-09 season.

The source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the 76ers will announce the deal at a special event for season ticket-holders Wednesday night at the Wachovia Center. The contract extension was first reported on the Philadelphia Inquirer's Web site.

Iverson has one year plus an option remaining on his current deal, which will pay him more than $28 million over the next two years. The extension begins in 2005-06.

Iverson averaged 27.6 points last season, helping Philadelphia finish 48-34 and advance to the second round of the playoffs. He was the NBA's MVP in 2000-01, when he led the 76ers to the Eastern Conference championship for the first time since 1983.

In seven seasons, Iverson is averaging 27.0 points and 5.6 assists. This summer, he helped the U.S. team qualify for next year's Olympics.

Iverson had a contentious relationship with former 76ers coach Larry Brown, who left to coach the Detroit Pistons after last season. Iverson gets along well with new coach Randy Ayers, who was Brown's assistant.

Old 09-24-2003, 07:46 AM   #2
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

I think that's way too much money for 4 years. I predict Iverson breaking down after two years.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:23 AM   #3
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Ready headline and envisioned AI autographing Shenaynay Jenkins's hair.

Way too much money.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 08:52 AM   #4
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Iverson to sign extension

In order for the sixers to be successful, they need to add a couple more scoring options and Ivy needs to learn to take a back seat. I think Iverson will begin to mature as he gets older and we'll see him become a truly great player. But as long as he's in Philly, Philly will have a hard time attracting the right kinds of free agents. And because he's so good, they probably will never be able to draft low enough to get another great player to go along side him.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 09:25 AM   #5
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Iverson to sign extension

I agree. I'm anxious to see how Glenn Robinson works out in Philly. The Sixers are a good defensive team and Big Dog doesn't play defense, so that may be a problem. On the other hand, Robin can fill it up. He's the best scorer to play next the AI since Stackhouse. That didn't work out, but I think at this point in his career he would pass more if he trusted the person he was passing to.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:25 AM   #6
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Ape - Good points. Iverson is too good of a player, particularly in the East, for the Sixers to get a high draft pick which would allow them to build around Iverson. And top free agents don't appear to want to go there so that they can play defense and pass Allen the ball. For the Sixers to truly become an elite level Eastern team again, either Allen has to blow up like he did a few years ago and they get off to a monster start, or they have to add other scoring options that Allen is willing to share the ball with.

Old 09-24-2003, 09:26 AM   #7
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be curious to see how Robinson works out too. Don't know if Iverson will like the fact that the Big Dog (literally) gives up as many points as he scores.

Old 09-24-2003, 09:37 PM   #8
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

First off after the mavs players AI is my favorite player. And sure he is a little rough around the edges but I am sure I would be too after living in the ghetto. With a guy that loves to shoot the ball glenn robinson AI will be glad to pass for some dimes. Derrick Coleman looked like a different player in the playoffs and he is a solid low post player.

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 10:40 PM   #9
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

76.7 in only 4 years?!
As P Diddy,Mase, and Notorius BIG once said,"The more money we come across the more problems we see." I say he gets in trouble with the law once more before these 4 years are up.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 04:02 PM   #10
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

You guys aren't thinking about all of the money the 6ers are going to make off of him. Every ticket that is sold is to see AI. Every jersey that is bought in Philly has Iverson on the back of it and the list goes on. Too bad Larry Brown is gone. It would've been great to see them get Rick Carlisle in there who I think is a better coach than Larry. I expect big things from the 6ers this year. Colemon, AI, Snow and Glenn are a nice core of guys to have put the ball in the hole.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 04:13 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

that's nice and all to think of it those terms FFM. but remember, there is such a thing as a salary cap. so, paying a player for the income that he brings in through other avenues other than the what he does on the court is a very risky thing for a GM to do.

now, i'm not saying that this is why AI got the payday that he received..it's simply in response to FFM's post
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 04:25 PM   #12
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
that's nice and all to think of it those terms FFM. but remember, there is such a thing as a salary cap. so, paying a player for the income that he brings in through other avenues other than the what he does on the court is a very risky thing for a GM to do.

now, i'm not saying that this is why AI got the payday that he received..it's simply in response to FFM's post

How is it risky? AI has shown no signs of declining and he is a top 10 player in the league. I think when every player signs a contract all of the income they recieve is considered when resigning that player. Especially a star.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 04:29 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

sure, what they bring in financially plays a role in the process..but, i'm willing to bet that with the salary cap in place, it's more about re-signing your players for their ability on the court
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote