Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 11-14-2003, 12:50 PM   #1
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light
Default What are possible free agent centers in 04/05?

Can anyone produce a list of FA centers the Mavs could pick up next year with the mid-level exception? If the Mavs could pick up a "B" center, and keep the roster intact this year, and next year i honestly believe we would be the team to beat. We are one servicable center away from being 2 deep in EVERY position, with most of our bench having the talent to start for most teams. Our bench will not only help us win in the playoffs, but it will allow us to better cope with the season grind, and limit and contain the damage of a player being lost to injury. What team could NOT miss a player of Delk's ability and skill? I'm not saying its nice to have him coming off the bench or anything, but we haven't missed a beat. A decent center that can eat some minutes and play some D is all we need, and despite popular belief there are quite a few out there, not star quality, but rather servicable quality.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:56 PM   #2
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:What are possible free agent centers in 04/05?

I'm too lazy to come up with an exhaustive list, but the one name I know of is Foyle. Defensively he'd be exactly what we need. My only concern is that his offense is spotty enough he might struggle to find playing time. But, hey, it's the MLE, and there's not a single complete big man gonna be available for that price.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:59 PM   #3
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

i don't believe we need complete, just servacible. What do you guys think? i'm sure Ape or someone else already has the list written down somewhere just waiting to be posted.
Old 11-14-2003, 01:16 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Which big man should the Mavs pursue this off-season?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 01:24 PM   #5
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

I started a new thread on purpose Murph cause that old one turned into unrealistic garbage, and trade talk. So once again, what centers are available for the MLE, that can be counted on to be servicable contributers? Please don't bring up the likes of stromile swift like the other thread did, because he is just another power forward, i'm talking guys 6'10" who are veteran, and proven contributers.
Old 11-14-2003, 01:34 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

You are right, it is too early to talk about this. But there are some interesting vets coming off contracts next year. I'd prefer not to give up any important pieces in trade.

From Madape:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a list of guys I think might deserve some interest:

Dale Davis
Rasheed Wallace
Adonal Foyle
Greg Ostertag
Chris Mihm
Stromile Swift
Jake Tsakalitis
Joel Przybilla
Antonio McDyess
Robert Traylor
Ruben Boumtje Boumtje
Keon Clark
Etan Thomas
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 01:39 PM   #7
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

This is a topic more appropriate for the trades forum because it involves the hypothetical. So I'm moving it over.
Old 11-14-2003, 01:41 PM   #8
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

how is a list of F/A centers hypothetical? Anywaz . . . give me Jake, or the 40/40 man Mcdyess
Old 11-14-2003, 01:50 PM   #9
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

<u>Centers</u>
Chris Mihm
Mehmet Okur
Zeljko Rebracca
Adonal Foyle
Olden Polynice
Jake Tsakalidis (Restricted)
Joel Przybilla
Sean Rooks
Scott Williams
Ruben Boumtje Boumtje
Vlade Divac
Menk Bateer
Keon Clark
Greg Ostertag
Bruno Sundov
Jarron Collins
<u>Tweeners</u>
Marcus Fizer
Slava Medvedenko
Stromile Swift
Tyrone Hill
Samaki Walker
Etan Thomas
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 02:22 PM   #10
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Some thoughts on Madape's list:

I like Dale Davis' tenacity on the boards and his no nonesense attitude in the paint that this team lacks. He's weak in points, but we dont' really need that.

Rasheed Wallace is so talented that it's almost easy to overlook his on & off-court antics. Almost. Until he grows up, I don't want him here.

Adonal Foyle is potential waiting to be realized. I think he'll never get there while in GS. As a Mav, he would be what FCC would describe as "serviceable".

Greg Ostertag is Evan Echemeyer with more playoff experience. Which is something I don't mean to downplay, but I don't think he'll fit here.

As a longhorn fan, my view of Chris Mihm might be a bit tainted. I like is offense, but question if he'll ever get the body to bang like we need him to. He is an intriguing choice though.

Stromile Swift (see the many Grizz threads to see what I think of this guy).

Jake Tsakalitis did nothing in Phoenix, and he would do nothing here.

Joel Przybilla (no opinion either way).

I have always liked Antonio McDyess' game. He plays tough on both ends and would be a great addition to the Mavs. I only hope he can stay healthy in time for the playoffs.

It was scary enough that we picked this guy, Robert Traylor should never be a Mav.

Ruben Boumtje Boumtje (I plead ignorance on this guy).

We should have picked him up last year, but if we did would Keon Clark fit under the cap along with the guys we have now?

I liked this pick and hope we find a way to get Etan Thomas back. He is nothing more than FCC's "servicable"-type guy.

Please feel free to disagree or agree to any of these points. Let's discuss. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 03:01 PM   #11
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: FineCubanCigar
how is a list of F/A centers hypothetical? Anywaz . . . give me Jake, or the 40/40 man Mcdyess
It's hypothetical which ones we might pick. We're not making a list just to make a list, I assume that it is a list to choose who best to pursue for the Mavs next off season. Or if we are just making a list for the sole purpose of making the list, maybe this should be in the NBA forum.

Old 11-14-2003, 06:35 PM   #12
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Swift hes the best athlete on that list.
In just 23 minutes he averages 10.3 ppg 5.5 rebounds and .8 assists per game along with 1.83 blocks per game.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 12:11 AM   #13
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: What are possible free agent centers in 04/05?

Centers I hope the Mavs take a look at are: Davis, Okur, Rebracca, Foyle, Ostertag, Collins, Medvedenko, and Swift. (In no paticular order)
Old 11-15-2003, 01:55 AM   #14
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Go for Etan Thomas, he can rebound and score down low, he gets better every year, and he won't ask for much. Let's do it!
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 02:02 AM   #15
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

I think Vlade Divac would be a good fit. He's a pretty good passer and already plays on a team that knows how to run and how to play the inside out game.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 03:02 AM   #16
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Psychedelic Fuzz
I think Vlade Divac would be a good fit. He's a pretty good passer and already plays on a team that knows how to run and how to play the inside out game.
Fuzz, Vlade is probably not going anywhere....he has created a nice little life for himself in Sac...why leave? Unless you think Sac will not resign him....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 05:39 PM   #17
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

He did create a nice niche in Sac...then came Brad Miller.
I think that if Miller stays around, he will continue to take Vlade's minutes as time goes on. If Vlade sees the writing on the wall, he just might be lured away by a respectable offer from an elite team, especially one where he is practically guaranteed a starting position.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 06:27 PM   #18
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

I doubt very seriously if Sacremento makes more than a token offer to retain Vlade. One of their more valuable players last year (Jim Jackson) wasn't wanted back. The Kings have become like much of the rest of the NBA - salary conscious.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 10:57 AM   #19
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

if Vlade leaves, that team is done.

too valuable, makes Webber look so much better than he really is....but hey, if it can be done lets give it a try

still think Mavs make deadline deal to try to address this issue though.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 11-17-2003, 01:56 PM   #20
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Dale Davis would be my first choice.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 02:22 PM   #21
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Here's what these guys are currently making.

Chris Mihm 2.8 (3.9 qualifying offer for next year)
Mehmet Okur 1.1
Zeljko Rebracca 4.2
Adonal Foyle 4.4
Olden Polynice 1.07
Jake Tsakalidis (Restricted) 1.6 (2.3 qualifying offer for next year)
Joel Przybilla 2.4 (3.2 qualifying offer for next year)
Sean Rooks
Scott Williams 1.07
Ruben Boumtje Boumtje 0.64
Vlade Divac 12
Menk Bateer
Keon Clark 5
Greg Ostertag 8.6
Bruno Sundov 0.75
Jarron Collins 1.3
Marcus Fizer 3.7 (4.9 qualifying offer for next year)
Slava Medvedenko 1.5
Stromile Swift 4.6 (6.0 qualifying offer for next year)
Tyrone Hill
Samaki Walker 1.7
Etan Thomas 2.2 (3.0 qualifying offer for next year)

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 02:49 PM   #22
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

i dont consider Stromile Swift at 6'9" a servicable center, he is just a tweener and played most his minutes at the 3/4 . . . how does that help? If Davis still has something in the tank, and wants a ring that would be a strong possibility . . . Okur, Clark, and Foyle are all players who could help considerably
Old 11-18-2003, 11:11 AM   #23
sike
The Preacha

Swift is nobody's answer....a nice piece maybe....we need Dale Davis or someone in that mold.

Old 11-18-2003, 11:46 AM   #24
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

I here that Greg Ostertag is wanting to come back home next offseason. He would provide a good body to throw in there againsts the bigger centers. Also like Foyle. It would suit me fine to find a way to land both players next year.
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote