Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 11-09-2003, 02:05 AM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bryant....and Duncan??!?!

It could happen and could you imagine that?

The LA Times is reporting that the Spurs may possibly pick Bryant up if things work out right after this season.

Quote:
Los Angeles Times (registration required): "Add the San Antonio Spurs, who could clear perhaps $12 million in salary-cap space next summer, to the potential suitors, assuming Bryant opts out of his Laker contract — as he says he will — and then goes franchise hunting."

The blurb from pro sports daily
(sorry, couldnt link to the article as it requires registration at LAtimes.com
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2003, 03:06 AM   #2
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future
Default RE:Bryant....and Duncan??!?!

this could very well happen, and if it does, may god help the leaugue ..let alone the mavericks. Geesh

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 03:19 AM   #3
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road

I don't think Kobe is going to leave a team whereShaq is "the man" to go to a Spurs team where Duncan is the man.

If Kobe leaves it will be to show that he is the man. That is the thing... everyone has always said that Shaq is the MVP of the team and they would say the same thing if Kobe played for San Antonio.

Also, San antonio is a small media market. I don't see Kobe wanting that.

If Kobe does get his own team I think we will quickly learn how great TMac has been in retrospect.

There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 08:47 AM   #4
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: ReDIRKulous
I don't think Kobe is going to leave a team whereShaq is "the man" to go to a Spurs team where Duncan is the man.

If Kobe leaves it will be to show that he is the man. That is the thing... everyone has always said that Shaq is the MVP of the team and they would say the same thing if Kobe played for San Antonio.

If Kobe does get his own team I think we will quickly learn how great TMac has been in retrospect.
Well, if the Lakers win it this year and Kobe bolts to the Spurs and they manage to win the title in 05, then Kobe will get mad props as one of the great winners of all time...5 titles by age 27...

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 10:25 AM   #5
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Quote:

Exactly, Kobe wants to be "Da Man" so why would he go to SA. Maybe just maybe to kick Shaqs butt. Even though, he would still be riding the coat tails os Duncan.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:32 AM   #6
Lonely PSU Mavs Fan

Lonely PSU Mavs Fan is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Bryant....and Duncan??!?!

Kobe would not exactly be "the man" in San Antonio. But Duncan is much more gracious than Shaq and would say nice things about Kobe carrying the team. Stuff that Shaq would never say.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:08 PM   #7
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Everything seems to match to see Kobe playing for the Spurs.

The NBA would be only two teams and the rest.

Old 11-09-2003, 01:29 PM   #8
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Barring injury ...if that happens, lakers spurs WCF 05 screams classic series all over it.

I really see kobe doin this though, i dont think it matters to him whose team it is or who is the main man , probably just frustrates him though that shaq would bring somethin like that up because kobe has a lot of pride and it puts him in a situation to where he must defend himself. To me, Duncan and the spurs seem like a team kobe would want to play for.

I dont think kobe would just be riding duncan's coat tail either, they would make one of the greatest dynamic duos in the history of the game, each providing significant importance and value to the team. With ginobili developing as a great supporting cast type of player, this is a frightening notion... but would be entertaining to say the least.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

Old 11-09-2003, 02:56 PM   #9
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

I don't know is this would ever happen, but I know that it wouldn't be good for the Mavs at all.
I don't think the Lakers would let Kobe go w/o getting something for him...like maybe Ginobili and Horry, blockbuster deal right there.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 03:04 PM   #10
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

Old 11-09-2003, 03:06 PM   #11
Jamisonite
Golden Member

[quote]

That the whole thing. Duncan doesnt have to be the man. He doesnt care if he is the man. He never tries to be in the spotlight. So Kobe and SA makes plenty of sense. Kobe, Duncan, and Parker are all young and Kobe could continue to win championships. Just think about it. If he wins his 4th this year...with Duncan already tied up long term he could win 6-8 championships easy.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:38 PM   #12
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

I think the Lakers will trade Kobe in the offseason to Orlando for McGrady. Its a perfect fit for both teams and both players.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 08:01 PM   #13
Jamisonite
Golden Member

i seriously doubt orlando gets rid of mcgrady. Hes an icon in orlando
Old 11-09-2003, 08:02 PM   #14
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Kobe will stay he is the drama queen. What a better way to stir up drama by posing to want to play with San Antonio it aint happenin. Kobe will give up way too much money even if the spurs cleared cap room to sign him.

And the only player the Lakers would want in a sign and trade is Duncan and that isn't happening.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 08:27 PM   #15
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Quote:
Well, if the Lakers win it this year and Kobe bolts to the Spurs and they manage to win the title in 05, then Kobe will get mad props as one of the great winners of all time...5 titles by age 27...
I just don't think achampionship is Kobe's only priority.

I believe that Kobe's real priority is to get ALL the glory. He wants to BE Jordan. He wants to lead the league in scoring.. and be the team MVP and win the championship and be the Finals MVP.

If he plays with Duncan he won't get all the glory.

Also, why would he leave a huge media market like LA and go to San Antonio? That hurts your endorsement deals a lot. It just doesn't make any sense.
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
Old 11-09-2003, 09:01 PM   #16
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Possibly after his trial is over he wont want to be engaged in the major media market ..who knows. Also, just as you stated that you dont believe his only priority is winning championships, you can excercise that very theory in the notion that his only priority is probably not in landing major endorsement deals.

It does make sense if you attempt viewing the situation through different perspectives.

Old 11-10-2003, 01:01 AM   #17
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Quote:
you can excercise that very theory in the notion that his only priority is probably not in landing major endorsement deals.
What I was saying is that I personally believe that Kobe is in it entirely for the glory and the Championship isn't the main priority. I don't even think Kobe wants endorsement deals for the money. I don't think Kobe really cares that much about the money... but I do think he cares about how much he gets in relation to other stars. Like when LeBron got that huge endorsement I guarantee you that eats Kobe alive. So with a larger media market you get all of that stuff... bigger endorsement deals... much more media attention/hype.

I have a feeling he will go to New york for some reason. Just a hunch. Does anyone know what NY would need to do to clear cap to make room for Kobe?
Old 11-11-2003, 06:09 PM   #18
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

The rumor I heard was that he was already talking the to LA Clips management and told them to start clearing room for him next year. That makes some sense, since he would be the man there, and he would still stay in the LA market. I can't see him succeeding there, but then again stranger things have happened.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote