Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-14-2016, 04:22 AM   #401
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post
The only way we get Ryan Anderson is if we don't sign Parsons. If we don't sign Parsons, it's highly unlikely we get Howard. After that, I don't really care who we get because they will pretty much be 3rd tier players.
not exactly. I'm pretty sure we can get a commitment from parsons, sign anderson and the go over the Cap with Parsons' early Bird rights to sign him to his max or however much it requires. That should work.

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2016, 12:07 PM   #402
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

40 days till the draft. It needs to come sooner.

We should get a decent role player, but the real fun starts after, when we have a first rounder again and free agency starts.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-14-2016 at 12:07 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:34 PM   #403
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

This Ryan Anderson stuff needs to stop. He can't play next to Dirk and is too good and expensive to be his backup.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:41 PM   #404
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
This Ryan Anderson stuff needs to stop. He can't play next to Dirk and is too good and expensive to be his backup.
Agreed.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:56 AM   #405
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
But can he be a good starter if Dirk isn't able to start at PF? Yes. He's good enough to have for 4 years right now.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:12 AM   #406
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
But can he be a good starter if Dirk isn't able to start at PF? Yes. He's good enough to have for 4 years right now.
And when Dirk is able to start you're paying near max money for his backup. I'm not denying his talent. I just don't think he's a difference maker for this team especially not at the salary he's going to command.
BPo001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:12 AM   #407
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I agree with this as well. The truth is we're not going to compete with the elite teams by having a bunch of big guys that can shoot. Look at the guards left in the playoffs: Kyrie, Curry, Thompson, Westbrook, Dragic, Wade, Lowry, DeRozan.

No it's not easy to get one of those guys, but we need to position ourselves to get one, not spend cap space for the sake of spending cap space. It's a guards league.

Personally, I hope we swing for the fences. Say the Thunder get dominated by the Warriors. Go after Durant hard.... sell him on Carlisle and Dirk opening things up for him as the clear-cut number one option. The odds of it happening are low of course, but it's much better than being stuck in a cycle of mediocrity where we're constantly overpaying for mid-tier free agents every offseason.

Now, that being said, I understand we performed fairly well considering Matthews was coming off a major injury and all the other injuries we dealt with. If we're not getting Durant/ Whiteside, we should definitely re-sign Parsons and go after Dwight Howard.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:51 AM   #408
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebo View Post

I think size and range, he would be closest the league can have anyone to Dirk. Will he be the next Dirk? Hell no! Nobody will. But developing similar skills in him would make transition easier for the life after Dirk.
You may not realize how very true that really is. Having witnessed the Rockets attempts to replace Olajuwon first hand, Mavs fans are in for a rude awakening. When you watch one of your players for so long, you forget how good he really is until you see a stream of players look absolutely stupid trying to replace him.

I do second your interest in D Mo. Rockets, and Rocket fans, were HUGE on D Mo, but the Injury issues have soured them.

Quote:
Well, he would come cheap. If you use him in the offense and defense like you do with Dirk, then I do not think that injuries will be that common.
Cheap is good, and seems to be the Mavs m.o. for players they acquire. Which is why they usually have a very deep bench, one of their (few) strengths.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:56 AM   #409
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
I agree with this as well. The truth is we're not going to compete with the elite teams by having a bunch of big guys that can shoot. Look at the guards left in the playoffs: Kyrie, Curry, Thompson, Westbrook, Dragic, Wade, Lowry, DeRozan.

No it's not easy to get one of those guys, but we need to position ourselves to get one, not spend cap space for the sake of spending cap space. It's a guards league.

Personally, I hope we swing for the fences. Say the Thunder get dominated by the Warriors. Go after Durant hard.... sell him on Carlisle and Dirk opening things up for him as the clear-cut number one option. The odds of it happening are low of course, but it's much better than being stuck in a cycle of mediocrity where we're constantly overpaying for mid-tier free agents every offseason.

Now, that being said, I understand we performed fairly well considering Matthews was coming off a major injury and all the other injuries we dealt with. If we're not getting Durant/ Whiteside, we should definitely re-sign Parsons and go after Dwight Howard.
Considering Durant just called our owner an idiot I don't think he is coming here. Howard is clearly the best player we can obtain that is realistically obtainable and fills 2 of our biggest needs (rebounding and rim protection). Don't waste your time with KD. After the draft we can explore the trade market once we have our 1st rounder for next year and see what teams are willing to part ways with.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:59 PM   #410
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

You must have a real short memory. We are irrelevant to Durant. Personally I think he stays in OKC now that they're going to the WCF. I hate them but they seem to have gotten over a hump.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #411
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
And when Dirk is able to start you're paying near max money for his backup. I'm not denying his talent. I just don't think he's a difference maker for this team especially not at the salary he's going to command.
Okay but if you pair him up with Dwight Howard, Wes, and a healthy Deron? That's a competitive lineup as well. And could get even better mixing Dirk around for added offensive help. With some fair enough defense that could be strong if Dwight comes back to his all-star self here. We have to picture Dirk getting lesser minutes during the regular season most games now. Anderson can spread the floor decent enough to start eventually.

Last edited by yahyes; 05-15-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:24 PM   #412
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
You must have a real short memory. We are irrelevant to Durant. Personally I think he stays in OKC now that they're going to the WCF. I hate them but they seem to have gotten over a hump.

I think he stays too but if the Warriors sweep or win in 5 it could make things interesting.

Again, it's not likely... but swinging for the fences is better than a cycle of mediocrity (which Cuban has correctly said is the worst position for a franchise). Not good enough to compete with the elite squads, not bad enough to get a top pick. It's a cost-benefit analysis, and IMO it's worth the risk of losing out on lesser players to gain a greater one.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:25 PM   #413
tap2390
Diamond Member

Quote:
Okay but if you pair him up with Dwight Howard, Wes, and a healthy Deron? That's a competitive lineup as well. And could get even better mixing Dirk around for added offensive help. With some fair enough defense that could be strong if Dwight comes back to his all-star self here. We have to picture Dirk getting lesser minutes during the regular season most games now. Anderson can spread the floor decent enough to start eventually.
Parsons > Ryan Anderson.

Doesn't make any sense to replace our 3 with a 4, IMO.

Last edited by tap2390; 05-15-2016 at 05:26 PM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #414
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Parsons > Ryan Anderson.

Doesn't make any sense to replace our 3 with a 4, IMO.
I want Parsons here too. Both are tweeners. Though, Parsons has a better defensive game. So our SF/ PF spots are set. Justin Anderson can also get implemented in playing next to Anderson or Parsons at PF.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:15 PM   #415
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I want Parsons here too. Both are tweeners. Though, Parsons has a better defensive game. So our SF/ PF spots are set. Justin Anderson can also get implemented in playing next to Anderson or Parsons at PF.
We can't afford Parsons/Dwight/Deron/Anderson this summer, even if Dirk takes a discount.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:04 AM   #416
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
We can't afford Parsons/Dwight/Deron/Anderson this summer, even if Dirk takes a discount.
So if you must have Deron then it's impossible. But if you're willing to sacrifice the signing of Williams, you could theoretically:

Sign Howard for (22-25mil) iffy but wth
Sign R. Anderson or whoever with the left over $

Use Parsons' early birds rights to sign him over the cap

Work some magic of signing dirk on a minimum the first year and him recouping all his $ on the back end of the contract

As detailed here by sliver91
http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2016/5/...llas-mavericks

Old 05-16-2016, 01:45 AM   #417
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietsavant View Post
So if you must have Deron then it's impossible. But if you're willing to sacrifice the signing of Williams, you could theoretically:

Sign Howard for (22-25mil) iffy but wth
Sign R. Anderson or whoever with the left over $

Use Parsons' early birds rights to sign him over the cap

Work some magic of signing dirk on a minimum the first year and him recouping all his $ on the back end of the contract

As detailed here by sliver91
http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2016/5/...llas-mavericks
Can Anderson play point?

Not that I'm dying to bring Deron back, but we're not blowing our cap on a backup player when PG is still a major position of need -- especially when that guy plays the same position as our top two scorers... We shouldn't be spending 1/2 of our cap on forwards.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-16-2016 at 01:53 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:53 AM   #418
quietsavant

Quote:
Can Anderson play point?
Ha! Cheeky. Read the article and it details one avenue at addressing the point guard issue, assuming of course JJ/Devin at this point are not suitable to start 82games.

It will require you to Read though.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:58 AM   #419
quietsavant

Quote:
Can Anderson play point?

Not that I'm dying to bring Deron back, but we're not blowing our cap on a backup player when PG is still a major position of need -- especially when that guy plays the same position as our top two scorers... We shouldn't be spending 1/2 of our cap on forwards.
Hey, I think that's the best part about this forum is having ideas. Is Anderson the swing over the fence, no. Do I really want anderson on this team? I'm not itching at the bit to sign him, but I'm only showing one way the FO might be able to go about it.

I don't think Deron is the answer long term at PG. But there aren't a lot of options really. So the landscape is a bunch of moves that don't necessarily put us over the top of the top four teams.

Tough place to be for the franchise.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:01 AM   #420
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietsavant View Post
Ha! Cheeky. Read the article and it details one avenue at addressing the point guard issue, assuming of course JJ/Devin at this point are not suitable to start 82games.

It will require you to Read though.
The entire plan hinges on us being able to trade for Teague -- which is possible, but other teams can make better offers.

Pull that thread and the whole thing unravels...

Old 05-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #421
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Can Anderson play point?

We bring all our guards( JJ, Devin,and Felton) to be able to fit in Howard, Anderson, and Parsons. Get like Devin and Felton to agree on a 1 year. JJ can get the same and would provable agree to take less for a run in the playoffs. I really do think we should spend at forward and center mostly. I think we can go another season with the guards we have now.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:33 AM   #422
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We bring all our guards( JJ, Devin,and Felton) to be able to fit in Howard, Anderson, and Parsons. Get like Devin and Felton to agree on a 1 year. JJ can get the same and would provable agree to take less for a run in the playoffs. I really do think we should spend at forward and center mostly. I think we can go another season with the guards we have now.
Devin and JJ have 2 and 3 years left respectively on their contracts...

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:40 AM   #423
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Devin and JJ have 2 and 3 years left respectively on their contracts...
And Felton isn't taking a 1-year deal after the season he just had, especially not at 31 years old... This is going to be his best & last chance to cash in on a lucrative multi-year deal.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #424
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

According to a thread on Fish's site, Fish is reporting in an insider article that the Mavs' plan for the summer is to prioritize other free agents like Durant first over Dwight. They plan to see what other teams offer Dwight before they make an offer and they view him as a 10 million dollar player. I have no idea how accurately the article is being summarized, but multiple posters seem to believe this is what the article is saying.

If true, you can cross Dwight off the list.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:52 PM   #425
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Mavs can prioritize over Dwight in order to see what his market is, but there is slightly above zero change KD comes here (or Lebron, or Conley). SAS and GSW can both offer him near max if not complete max on top of just staying in OKC where things might actually be going right.

And expecting to get Dwight for $10 million is pretty crazy. Zaza will be getting close to that with the higher cap and if anyone thinks he's almost as good as Zaza is nuts.

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to call BS on that "insider article".

Last edited by MavzMan; 05-16-2016 at 02:13 PM.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:55 PM   #426
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
According to a thread on Fish's site, Fish is reporting in an insider article that the Mavs' plan for the summer is to prioritize other free agents like Durant first over Dwight. They plan to see what other teams offer Dwight before they make an offer and they view him as a 10 million dollar player. I have no idea how accurately the article is being summarized, but multiple posters seem to believe this is what the article is saying.

Fit, price, our interest, their interest -- I'm sure we can find a reason to cross every name off the list before free agency starts... I have absolutely no idea what the FO's plan is this summer.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:30 PM   #427
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Mavs can prioritize over Dwight in order to see what his market is, but there is slightly above zero change KD comes here (or Lebron, or Conley). SAS and GSW can both offer him near max if not complete max on top of just staying in OKC where things might actually be going right.

And expecting to get Dwight for $10 million is pretty crazy. Zaza will be getting close to that with the higher cap and if anyone thinks he's almost as good as Zaza is nuts.

I got the impression that the article was not implying that they could get him at that price, but more like they think that's what he's worth. As if they don't really want him. BS or not, Fish generally reports whatever BS Cuban wants out there.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:13 PM   #428
Underdog

Quote:
I got the impression that the article was not implying that they could get him at that price, but more like they think that's what he's worth. As if they don't really want him. BS or not, Fish generally reports whatever BS Cuban wants out there.
Yeah, Fish has always been a useful idiot.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-16-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:46 PM   #429
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Okay but if you pair him up with Dwight Howard, Wes, and a healthy Deron?
Then he still stays in OKC.

Quote:
With some fair enough defense that could be strong if Dwight comes back to his all-star self here
And why would we expect that big a change?

I like Dwight, and think he would be a good addition at the right price, but primarily for defense and rebounding (hence the right price part). I also think we have a great medical staff, and an environment conducive to players fitting in and feeling comfortable. But that doesn't mean miracles are going to happen.

In short, a more athletic Zaza, with probably less BB IQ.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:52 PM   #430
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post
Then he still stays in OKC.

And why would we expect that big a change?

I like Dwight, and think he would be a good addition at the right price, but primarily for defense and rebounding (hence the right price part). I also think we have a great medical staff, and an environment conducive to players fitting in and feeling comfortable. But that doesn't mean miracles are going to happen.

Probably? No question.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:53 PM   #431
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah, Fish has always been a useful idiot.
That's why I think that the 10 million number is most likely something that came straight out of Cuban's mouth.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:57 PM   #432
Underdog

Quote:
That's why I think that the 10 million number is most likely something that came straight out of Cuban's mouth.
Maybe, but that doesn't necessarily make it true.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:07 PM   #433
yahyes
Banned

I hope that's Mike Fisher's quote saying Dwight is a 10 million dollar player... Donnie shouldn't be talking numbers if Fish is going to add weak sources into it. Plus it looks bad and could turn off other free agents.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:09 PM   #434
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
And Felton isn't taking a 1-year deal after the season he just had, especially not at 31 years old... This is going to be his best & last chance to cash in on a lucrative multi-year deal.
He looks like he likes it here. Even if he doesn't start I could see him want to comeback on another season. Especially if Dwight Howard does sign here.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:14 PM   #435
Underdog

Quote:
He looks like he likes it here. Even if he doesn't start I could see him want to comeback on another season. Especially if Dwight Howard does sign here.
Nobody is sacrificing any money when the cap spikes this summer -- the chances of a marginal player like Felton taking a 1-year deal are ZERO.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-16-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:20 PM   #436
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
Felton is going to cash in off his playoff performance. He's not resigning here on a one year deal. This is probably his last big payday.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:27 PM   #437
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Nobody is sacrificing any money when the cap spikes this summer -- the chances of a marginal player like Felton taking a 1-year deal are ZERO.
Only team I can see Felton getting paid starter money is the sixers... And I wont be mad if he goes there. It would be safe for Donnie to keep the guards as much as he can. Reason why.. you already have a core group of vet guards to work with if Howard does play here. That can go another season to really compete for playoffs. Then who knows how healthy Deron, Parson, and Howard can be. You're looking at a better team for Dirk's last couple years. While trying to see how Justin, Powell and Ryan Anderson can improve the team.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:28 PM   #438
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Felton is going to cash in off his playoff performance. He's not resigning here on a one year deal. This is probably his last big payday.
Yeah, I wont be mad about a 2-3 year deal. He is Deron's best help. And JJ does well playing small ball with him.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:50 PM   #439
Underdog

Quote:
Yeah, I wont be mad about a 2-3 year deal. He is Deron's best help. And JJ does well playing small ball with him.
You're not bringing back Deron/Felton/Harris/Barea next year when Deron/Felton are both prime candidates to get overpaid this summer. We might keep one, but not both.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:52 PM   #440
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Quote:

I'm going to be PISSED if we pass up a day-one meeting with Dwight because we're chasing a KD/LeBron (or even like a Drummond/Barnes) type of player. I've stubbornly supported this front office amid the mistakes but this would really be pushing it. There is absolutely no reason for a player like Durant to leave a really good Thunder team to join this Mavs team. Even if we swapped Zaza for Dwight on this year's roster and replaced Parsons with KD, I still don't think we're as good at OKC is right now. I don't see Durant leaving OKC this time... maybe later in his career but not this summer.

When we choose to court free agents, we have to be able to offer them a situation that is better for them than what they are currently in. Max contracts are going to be flying in every direction with methamphetamine velocity. We can't count on taking other teams' free agents by trying to overpay them. Something like 20 teams are going to have space for at least one max deal this summer... that's the market we have to compete with.

The reason Dwight makes so much sense here is because this roster could make a pretty significant step forward by swapping Deron/Zaza for Dwight while bringing virtually everyone else back. We also are probably the team closest to competing that would be offering Dwight a big offensive role (let's be real, if we were selling DAJ on that we damn well better offer Dwight the same thing), a near-max contract, and a team environment that is a huge improvement over the shitshow in Houston this past season. This is the sort of pitch I think we should be thinking of as fans when looking at which players we should want our front office to pursue while staying realistic. I've said all along that when big time superstars are on the market, you have to do everything you can to sign them. At the same time, I don't see what kind of pitch we make to LeBron or KD that improves their current situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post

Quote:
Probably? No question.
I don't agree with this at all... Dwight's athleticism has waned over the past few years, and there have been a lot of times where his effort as a member of the Rockets has been very poor, but let's not forget that Dwight was the best defensive player in the entire NBA for a good 5-6 years. There is no inverse correlation between BBIQ and athleticism. Dwight is just a much better player than Zaza.

Quote:
I agree that Felton is likely to chase down the biggest payday he can, and I don't really blame him. But I will also say that if our choices are Felton at $6M per year or Deron at $10M, I'm taking Felton.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote