Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-09-2023, 01:45 PM   #41
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
My big problem with the draft and with FA is we didn't address rebounding at all. How could the 30th team in rebounding not address it? Pretty wild.

That's why I wanted guys like Miller and TJD.

I'm sure Lively and Omax will help our defense, but not seeing the help with rebounding.
Mavs were last in team rebounding. Yep. Last.

But the Heat were 27th and the 76ers were 26th. And Houston was 4th. So I'm not worried as about rebounding as you are.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2023, 02:51 PM   #42
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My big problem with the draft and with FA is we didn't address rebounding at all. How could the 30th team in rebounding not address it? Pretty wild.

That's why I wanted guys like Miller and TJD.

I'm sure Lively and Omax will help our defense, but not seeing the help with rebounding.
I think Lively and Omax will absolutely help with rebounding down the road. Maybe not this season, but in 2025 hopefully.

As far as free agency goes, this was probably the worst free agent class of any offseason I can remember- ESPECIALLY for bigs.

If we get an upgrade at 5, it's going to have to come from a trade. We know for a fact they've been in talks for Capela and Ayton, but couldn't reach a deal. So at the very least we know they're still trying and are not content with the current frontcourt.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 03:11 PM   #43
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post

But the Heat were 27th and the 76ers were 26th. And Houston was 4th. So I'm not worried as about rebounding as you are.
The only problem with statement is rebounding cost the mavs many games last year.

The lack of defensive rebounding is why kevon Looney killed them in the WCF's which ultimately got them bounced.

Not sure how anyone who has watched this team would say they aren't concerned with rebounding especially when the GM himself said they had to address the rebounding and lack of rim protection for the 2nd straight offseason.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 05:50 PM   #44
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:

I was wondering did rebounding well have a correlation to being a good team and yeah Houston showed it didn?t?
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 08:42 PM   #45
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
The only problem with statement is rebounding cost the mavs many games last year.

The lack of defensive rebounding is why kevon Looney killed them in the WCF's which ultimately got them bounced.

Not sure how anyone who has watched this team would say they aren't concerned with rebounding especially when the GM himself said they had to address the rebounding and lack of rim protection for the 2nd straight offseason.
Every GM is going to say something if a team is the WORST at something. But do you think Miami is stressing rebounds? They went to the Finals last year.

But we should be better at rebounding anyway. Bullock was a horrible rebounder and Williams is at least average. Wood was a good rebounder but the combo of Holmes and Lively should be better. We only need to improve by a few rebounds per game to be average.
Old 07-09-2023, 08:44 PM   #46
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I am MUCH more concerned with defense and Williams, OMax, and Lively are all defensive guys.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 10:55 PM   #47
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I am MUCH more concerned with defense and Williams, OMax, and Lively are all defensive guys.
Kidd is not a great coach. He's probably not even a GOOD coach. But it you maximize his strengths by having a strong defense then he will do a decent job.
Old 07-10-2023, 02:57 PM   #48
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Kidd is not a great coach. He's probably not even a GOOD coach. But it you maximize his strengths by having a strong defense then he will do a decent job.
I mean with or without coaching, Luka/Kyrie will get you a top-5 offense.

All Kidd (or his assistants) have to do is make sure when we score 125, that the team doesn't give up 130
Old 07-10-2023, 08:01 PM   #49
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

https://ww1.gameavenue.co/dd12-phila...las-mavericks/

If doesn't work several here by game
https://nbabite.to/
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 08:14 PM   #50
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Hardy is struggling with his shot tonight, but physically he looks awesome. He has really put on some muscle, which should help him finish better at the rim.
Old 07-10-2023, 08:18 PM   #51
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Hardy is struggling with his shot tonight, but physically he looks awesome. He has really put on some muscle, which should help him finish better at the rim.
And of course RIGHT when I say that he's struggling with this shot, he sinks a 3 with the foul for a 4 point play.

I f*cking love this kid.
Old 07-10-2023, 08:47 PM   #52
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Hardy is a hot and cold player, and I don't really see that changing. But when that kid is hot, then nothing can stop him. I'll take that all day, every single day..

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 08:57 PM   #53
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Damn what a comeback! Outscored Philly by 23 in the final 10 min
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 09:07 PM   #54
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

I just like the little things by Omax. Hands always up, he's always on the hip of whoever he's guarding, and then he has really fast reaction speed. All 3 make his defense, even as a young player, appear.... dare I say- suffocating? At least by comparison of most rookies it is to me. Some huge rebounds, offense and defense, by Lively down the stretch. Excited by what he can do with a bigger frame after he works with the staff for a year.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 09:18 PM   #55
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Hardy is a hot and cold player, and I don't really see that changing. But when that kid is hot, then nothing can stop him. I'll take that all day, every single day..
Yeah he's definitely streaky. But also keep in mind he's having to play PG on this summer league team. So between having to be the main facilitator as well as the main scorer AND having all the defense geared toward him because he's by far the best offensive player on the floor, it's no wonder his shooting percentages haven't been great so far.

But he keeps his cool, and just plays through the rough patches. It won't show up in the box score, but he led the double digit comeback. He started getting to the free throw line when the shot wasn't falling, and made the right pass on a couple of big, momentum-changing plays.

I'm really excited to see him this season now that he's had a year of NBA experience under his belt, and playing off of two of the best offensive players in the league so he doesn't ever have to worry about carrying the offense by himself.

Also- This was the first time I've watched either Lively or Omax play outside of youtube highlights, and I really like what I saw from both guys. Lively is definitely raw and is going to be a long term project, but the potential to be a defensive stalwart is definitely there. He's got all the physical tools and seems to have good instincts too.

I didn't get to watch Omax very closely, but damn, that dude is BIG. He is a very physically imposing wing. I could easily see him being a lockdown defender once he gets his feet wet.
Old 07-10-2023, 09:56 PM   #56
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Well they just need to let Hardy perfect being a shooting guard, what he is, versus trying to make him be everything else right now. I'm fine with players working on their game, but he still hasn't mastered what he is good at yet.

He'll be able to eventually play PG as a combo guard, but he is two guard first, second, and last.

Old 07-10-2023, 11:41 PM   #57
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Taze Moore played really well.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 09:26 AM   #58
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well they just need to let Hardy perfect being a shooting guard, what he is, versus trying to make him be everything else right now. I'm fine with players working on their game, but he still hasn't mastered what he is good at yet.

He'll be able to eventually play PG as a combo guard, but he is two guard first, second, and last.

This. I get he should improve passing and decision making, but ultimately he's our THJ upgrade, not someone who should be running point.
Old 07-11-2023, 10:36 AM   #59
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
This. I get he should improve passing and decision making, but ultimately he's our THJ upgrade, not someone who should be running point.
Wouldn't that be the idea of an upgrade, though? Like, if he can run the offense, initiate it and have the ability to drive and create, that's what we have all complained that THJ can't do.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 10:41 AM   #60
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Athony Black looks great, by the way. There was once a slimmer of hope he could fall to 10, but Orlando seems like a really good spot for his upside.
Old 07-11-2023, 10:47 AM   #61
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
Wouldn't that be the idea of an upgrade, though? Like, if he can run the offense, initiate it and have the ability to drive and create, that's what we have all complained that THJ can't do.

I think Hardy is the upgrade in the sense that he's the better, more efficient scorer who will actually drive the ball if his shot isn't falling.... I guess my point is Hardy should generally be off-ball-- he should be driving not facilitating.
Old 07-11-2023, 11:36 AM   #62
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

I think Hardy is and will be just fine as a secondary ball-handler.
Old 07-11-2023, 11:47 AM   #63
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
He is already a much better ball handler than THJ though.

It's Hardy's overall playmaking that needs work.

Tim also is more suited to a catch and shoot guy. He doesn't really create his own offense off the dribble.

Old 07-11-2023, 12:04 PM   #64
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Tim also is more suited to a catch and shoot guy. He doesn't really create his own offense off the dribble.
Yup. Basically a poor man's Michael Finley.
Old 07-11-2023, 12:10 PM   #65
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Yup. Basically a poor man's Michael Finley.
Has much better handles than Fin but Finley could get that fadeaway jumper and the occasional dunk at the rim. Hardaway feels like he could do more with his skill set but doesn?t for whatever reason.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 01:35 PM   #66
saclare
Platinum Member

Well, call me crazy, but with Hardy's skill set we should aim higher than an off-ball type of player. I get what you're all saying but I think he can easily be the 3rd guy to facilitate if not Luka or Kyrie.

But yes, he's an easy upgrade on THJ if we are just comparing the two at off-ball efficiency and still has room to grow into a better shooter, which is pretty much all THJ is at this point.
Old 07-12-2023, 04:56 PM   #67
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw the starting lineup for today's game. Miles is starting in place of Wright (injury - I think). Glad Miles Jr. is getting some playing time with Hardy, Lively, and Prosper.
Old 07-12-2023, 05:20 PM   #68
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Hardy has not been good
Old 07-12-2023, 05:33 PM   #69
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Lively has gotten better every game
Old 07-12-2023, 05:39 PM   #70
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I would say just start Lively but we all know G League.

Old 07-12-2023, 05:39 PM   #71
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Lively has gotten better every game
Seriously. I have no question he's going to be our starting center at some point. Might not happen this season, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did.

I really like what I see from Omax too. He looks a little awkward on offense but that's to be expected. He's got 3 point range and that's really all we need.
Old 07-12-2023, 05:59 PM   #72
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Hardy has not been good
He's getting it going in the 2nd half, again. That's the third game in a row where sucked in the 1st half and got hot in the 2nd.

It's been alluded to in this thread already, but I think Hardy is just a streaky player and probably always will be. When he's cold, it's very frustrating, but when he's hot, he looks like a superstar.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:05 PM   #73
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Expectations are a bit too high with Hardy right now as well. Players aren't good 100% of the time.

I'm surprised TJD hasn't gotten any minutes. Is he hurt?

Old 07-12-2023, 06:19 PM   #74
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Expectations are a bit too high with Hardy right now as well. Players aren't good 100% of the time.
He's still learning too. He definitely needs to work on his shot selection.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:22 PM   #75
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Man, Lively has been AWESOME today. This kid is the future at center. I'm excited.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:46 PM   #76
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

I love OMax
Old 07-12-2023, 06:48 PM   #77
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

I came in thinking Hardy would take a leap to superstar

He has consistently disappointed

Attitude, efficiency, defense have all sucked
Old 07-12-2023, 06:48 PM   #78
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Ha! Harry may have lost us the game
Old 07-12-2023, 06:51 PM   #79
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

People love scoring on Hardy
Old 07-12-2023, 06:53 PM   #80
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

So done with Hardy