Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 03-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL View Post
When have I marginalized someone because of their race on this thread?
You have marginalized people who have views that differ from yours. Pot, meet kettle. You lumped me in with other people even though you completely misunderstood my post. Marginalizing someone because of race is no different than marginalizing someone because of their political views. In other words, you're a hypocrite, which, thankfully for you, is not a marginal position these days.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
SeanL

SeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma View Post
You have marginalized people who have views that differ from yours.
No you said I marginalized people because of their race. Now you are backtracking.

Secondly, I am one person on a sleepy forum. How exactly was I able to successfully marginalize you and with what group of people were you marginalized from?

Quote:
Marginalizing someone because of race is no different than marginalizing someone because of their political views.
Ron Paul is a modern day Martin Luther King. LOL.

If you do and say stupid things then you marginalize yourself.
SeanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:07 AM   #3
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No you said I marginalized people because of their race. Now you are backtracking.

Secondly, I am one person on a sleepy forum. How exactly was I able to successfully marginalize you and with what group of people were you marginalized from?

Ron Paul is a modern day Martin Luther King. LOL.

If you do and say stupid things then you marginalize yourself.

You chose to read it that way, but that was clearly not my point at all, being that you haven't made any racist statements in this thread. I can see why you would read it that way, being that you seem to be bent on incessantly hijacking this thread in order to bolster your own belief system while lumping anyone who posts here into nice, convenient categories that make you sleep better at night, but the world doesn't work that way.

You have taken issue with Ron Paul and some his supporters for racist ideology. Racism marginalizes a group of people based upon race. You marginalize people based upon political ideology, but, to you, that's somehow noble. The hypocrisy of that dynamic is clearly lost on you.

mar·gin·al·ize (märj-n-lz)
tr.v. mar·gin·al·ized, mar·gin·al·iz·ing, mar·gin·al·iz·es
To relegate or confine to a lower or outer limit or edge, as of social standing.

The bold part of your comment is an example of this:

Straw Man Fallacy

Explanation:

A straw man argument is one that misrepresents a position in order to make it appear weaker than it actually is, refutes this misrepresentation of the position, and then concludes that the real position has been refuted. This, of course, is a fallacy, because the position that has been claimed to be refuted is different to that which has actually been refuted; the real target of the argument is untouched by it.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
SeanL

SeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these parts

Quote:
You chose to read it that way, but that was clearly not my point at all, being that you haven't made any racist statements in this thread. I can see why you would read it that way, being that you seem to be bent on incessantly hijacking this thread in order to bolster your own belief system while lumping anyone who posts here into nice, convenient categories that make you sleep better at night, but the world doesn't work that way.
I read it the way you wrote it. If that is not what you meant then learn to write what you mean. Or at least stand up for your positions and don't backtrack.

Quote:
You have taken issue with Ron Paul and some his supporters for racist ideology. Racism marginalizes a group of people based upon race. You marginalize people based upon political ideology, but, to you, that's somehow noble. The hypocrisy of that dynamic is clearly lost on you.
Clearly the people who criticize Paul are the equivalent of racists. After all he is a modern day Martin Luther King.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Clearly the people who criticize Paul are the equivalent of racists. After all he is a modern day Martin Luther King.
Why did you come to a Dallas Mavericks forum to whine about Ron Paul?? There are better places on the internet for political debate (unless we're planning on trading Lamar Odom for Ron Paul?)

I mean, I get that we have a political section on this forum so that this stuff doesn't spill out into Mavs talk, but you haven't posted ANYTHING about the Mavs in a long time - you're missing out on much more relevant conversation (it's kinda like bitching about the dinner rolls while a perfectly good steak is getting cold next to them!)

Just my two cents - but by all means, please feel free to carry on with your futile effort of convincing people who don't agree with you to agree with you...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #6
SeanL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

Just my two cents - but by all means, please feel free to carry on with your futile effort of convincing people who don't agree with you to agree with you...
I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I do this for fun. However, it is interesting you singled me out - the only anti-Paul guy on this thread. Why is that?
Old 03-08-2012, 12:05 AM   #7
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I do this for fun. However, it is interesting you singled me out - the only anti-Paul guy on this thread. Why is that?
Because, unlike everybody else in this thread, you have nothing to say about the Dallas Mavericks on a Dallas Mavericks forum.

Oh, and f*ck Ron Paul... So there's that.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
ribosoma
Golden Member

Quote:
I read it the way you wrote it. If that is not what you meant then learn to write what you mean. Or at least stand up for your positions and don't backtrack.

Being that I already clarified my original post just for you, and the fact that you choose to now stick with your originally incorrect interpretation, I guess there's not much to say. Keep chocking up those red boxes, it suits you well. I have to spread some rep and then I'll be back to help you again.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:31 PM   #9
SeanL

Quote:
Being that I already clarified my original post just for you, and the fact that you choose to now stick with your originally incorrect interpretation, I guess there's not much to say. Keep chocking up those red boxes, it suits you well. I have to spread some rep and then I'll be back to help you again.
OH NOES! RED BOXES!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #10
ribosoma
Golden Member

Quote:
OH NOES! RED BOXES!
OH NOES, SARCASMS!!!

Tags
seanl aka silksmooth, smegma-l