Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 02-17-2004, 04:53 PM   #1
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road
Default Are you happy with the state of Baseball today?

Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2004, 07:05 PM   #2
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default RE: Are you happy with the state of Baseball today?

The Yankees still aren't guaranteed the title. The last three championships were from another team. They got better in the area that they were already good at, hitting.

This will be an exciting season of baseball.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 09:39 AM   #3
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Are you happy with the state of Baseball today?

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
The Yankees still aren't guaranteed the title. The last three championships were from another team. They got better in the area that they were already good at, hitting.

This will be an exciting season of baseball.
Let me restate what he said:
This will be an exciting season of baseball if you are a Yankees or Boston fan.
This will not be an exciting season for the Rangers, Tampa Bay, Milwalkee, Montreal, etc.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 10:06 AM   #4
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

there definitely needs to be a salary cap. i am jaded on baseball right now. the contracts are out of hand. personally, i don't care if there's a lockout.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:11 AM   #5
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Are you satified with the current system?
As long as the Yankees continue abusing of it, I am. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quote:
No I'm not, there must be salary cap in baseball
Although the situations are similar, you can see that the highest payrolls in the NBA are not precisely those of the contenders. In other words, the salary cap avoid teams to build a strong team based on unlimited money, as the Yankees do, but in the NBA the same limitations open other options that make some teams to be always strong. I don't know if the excess of cleverness, the weight of the media, or the lights of Hollywood, can be restricted as well. I admit that the salary cap helps some and also makes possible to keep the prices of the tickets lower ([img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]) but if the MLB restricts the money to expend on players, the Yankees would have many other assets to attract the best players alike the Lakers, Kings and SA.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:25 AM   #6
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Are you happy with the state of Baseball today?

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas
Quote:
Are you satified with the current system?
As long as the Yankees continue abusing of it, I am. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quote:
No I'm not, there must be salary cap in baseball
Although the situations are similar, you can see that the highest payrolls in the NBA are not precisely those of the contenders. In other words, the salary cap avoid teams to build a strong team based on unlimited money, as the Yankees do, but in the NBA the same limitations open other options that make some teams to be always strong. I don't know if the excess of cleverness, the weight of the media, or the lights of Hollywood, can be restricted as well. I admit that the salary cap helps some and also makes possible to keep the prices of the tickets lower ([img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]) but if the MLB restricts the money to expend on players, the Yankees would have many other assets to attract the best players alike the Lakers, Kings and SA.

I totally disagree..

If the NBA had no cap, then you would see a team like the Knicks being favored every year like the Yankees are because everybody, if they had a choice, would always pick the "bright lights" over a smaller market anyday. But the way the way the NBA is set up those teams can't gobble up all the available talent, which leaves smaller markets, like Sacramento, like San Antonio to compete year in and year out.
I know it's hard for Yankee fans to realize that the game needs to be changed becuase all they see is all these great players coming to there team every year and thoughts of championships dancing thru there heads, but something needs to be done for the betterment of the game.
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 10:39 AM   #7
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
I know it's hard for Yankee fans to realize that the game needs to be changed becuase all they see is all these great players coming to there team every year and thoughts of championships dancing thru there heads...
This is true, I admit it, and it turns into an adiction. The same adiction I had with the Cowboys, and that is coming back.

On the other hand, I wish Cuban didn't have a cap to expend more.

But I got your point. In the case the MLB opted for it, it should be simpler.