Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-05-2003, 04:49 PM   #1
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of
Default Basketball Theory-Set Rotation

In the many thousands of threads over Nellies lifespan with the mavs, we have wanted a set rotation.

I say we get our minds off of the Lakers game and talk some basketball theology.

Why is it an advantage to have a set rotation?
Why is it a disadvantage to not have a set rotation?

1. It does confuse players to vary your starting lineup. Unfortunately, it confuses your own players and disrupts thier continuity with eachother.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2003, 05:06 PM   #2
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Basketball Theory-Set Rotation

It got us to the NBA Finals last season so it is proven to be effective.

What Nellie has done is to get players that have essentially one really good skill at the center position. Bradley is a great shot blocker so he is good for the zone. Fortson is short but very powerful and physical and a tremendous rebounder. We are better off playing one of these guys situationally than sticking with one guy and getting totally raped in certain situations.

The other alternative is to get a guy that is ok all around and kind of stinks all around too and then play him in a set rotation. Considering we got to the WCF with the system we have now I would rather stick with it.
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 06:10 PM   #3
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Basketball Theory-Set Rotation

It is an advantage to have a set starting lineup so that your players that need to get going early are able to, as well as build some early team chemistry in the game. If you don't start your best players and the other team does, get ready to play catch up the whole game. Josh Howard should have started instead of Tony Delk.
I find myself puzzled at how Danny Fortson and Tony Delk can start the game, play 2 to 5 mins and then be MIA the rest of the game.
It's maddening! If they are important enough to start the game, then they should be getting at least oh, say 15 mins or so.

But here is where Nellie starts messing and tinkering to the point of insanity.
I heard a quote from Donnie that "Fortson will be very important" to the team strategy against Shaq. Next thing you know Danny is being pulled off the floor and inserted directly into the Dog House. What's up with that? Nellie would rather have 240lb Najera guarding Shaq than 280lb+ Fortson?
It has to be related to his beloved offensive scheme somehow. Fortson is allowed no lee-way when it comes to mistakes on the offensive end, no matter the good he could do on defensive end. Even though we have some of the best weapons on the O end.

Right now Nellie is upsetting me with his "starting lineup" it obviously flies in the face of traditional theory that your best players start the game.
We can only hope that next time Nellie starts the best players so that the team does'nt have to play catchup the entire freeking game again.

As far as the rotation, I can't really find anything seriously wrong with it other than having Najera guarding Shaq when both Fortson and Bradley are available.
I like how Nellie is using Howard more, but not enough IMO.

Sorry jack, I know I'm supposed to get my mind off the Laker game, but there were some glaring examples of what ails the Mavericks in relation to this matter.