Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 11-19-2004, 07:23 PM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Left-Wing Wisconsin Radio Personality labels Condoleezza Rice an "Aunt Jemima"

Sly defends 'Aunt Jemima' comment

11:16 pm 11/18/04
Patricia Simms Wisconsin State Journal

An unrepentant Sly explained why he called the nominee to be secretary of state, Condoleezza Rice, an "Aunt Jemima" and outgoing Secretary of State Colin Powell an "Uncle Tom" on the radio Wednesday.

Sly, the on-air name for John Sylvester, told WTDY-AM (1670) morning show listeners that Rice, who is black, bought her way into the White House with obedience to President Bush.

"I'm not apologizing for what I said," Sylvester said Thursday in an interview. "I stand by it.

"I was aiming that directly at a black person that is letting himself (and herself) be used by an administration that has been extremely hostile to minorities," he said.

"Being subservient and being a black role model are two different things. I think (Rice) has not only been bad for the country and for national security, but I think she's been a bad black role model.

"I don't think being subservient to white people and not blowing the whistle on their misdoings is a good role model at all."

Sylvester said his comments were not a ratings ploy. "People know who I am. I don't need to get attention."

Response was negative, from Wisconsin Democratic U.S. Sen. Russ Feingold to Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz and the Urban League of Greater Madison. Sylvester has been intensely supportive of Feingold and Wisconsin Democrats in general.

The comments came in the wake of conservative Milwaukee talker Mark Belling's five- day suspension from WISN-AM (1130) for using the word "wetback," a derogatory term for illegal Mexican immigrants, on his Oct. 27 show.

"While it is not my intention to comment on every extremely inappropriate remark made in our society," Feingold said in a statement today, "given the proximity to the unfortunate comments made by another member of the media, I feel it is necessary to completely reject and repudiate these recent comments."

Cieslewicz said he didn't hear the broadcast but understood that Sylvester's comment were racially insensitive. "Our society is not well served by a coarsening of political discussion," the mayor said, "and comments with negative racial overtones are even more troubling."

The Urban League said it was deeply disturbed. "Such slurs based on racial and ethnic stereotypes have no place in the 21st century," said its statement. "We call upon WTDY and John Sylvester to apologize for using the basest form of racial derision to highlight a political viewpoint."

Sylvester, who is also program director, said he would not take himself off the air nor would station owners, the Mid- West Family Broadcast Group. General Manager Tom Walker did not return phone calls Thursday.

Sylvester said the issue was being stirred by Milwaukee talk show host Charlie Sykes. "I didn't think anything about it," he said. "I think I've even said it before. Anybody who knows me knows I'm not a racist."

"I did call her the Aunt Jemima of the administration because I think not only have they used her race as a trophy, but I think her price of admission to the White House has been complete obedience to the white power structure in the White House," Sylvester said. "(And) I called (Powell) Uncle Tom. Frankly I think they bought his silence."

Wisconsin State Journal Link
Old 11-20-2004, 11:22 PM   #2
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE:Left-Wing Wisconsin Radio Personality labels Condoleezza Rice an "Aunt Jemima"

He is just upset that some black people are independent and dont serve the whites that run the democratic party.
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 11:36 PM   #3
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE:Left-Wing Wisconsin Radio Personality labels Condoleezza Rice an "Aunt Jemima"

I guess he sort of apologised, his democratic master forced him to
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 06:58 AM   #4
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Not only was it a racist comment, the analogy was pretty pathetic.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 09:58 AM   #5
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

I don't agree with all of this Adminstration's policies, but calling Rice an Aunt Jemima is such an indefensively racist comment.

It really shouldn't shock me anymore how those who proport to defend against racism can come up with some of the most racially offensive comments, but someone how I'm still agast.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote